Write For Fun, Not Fame 1,246 members · 5,510 stories
Comments ( 61 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 61

Do it, sing your praise for your OCs, pony or not, tell about how you made them and why you like them, gush.

Nighttime:

A unicorn pony who looks exactly like Nightmare Moon, and is constantly grumpy because everypony's scared of her.

That sounds amazing, I love her, her life must suck

3693935 Aside from her lack of wings, she's a spitting image (height and all), but aside from that has no relevance to Nightmare Moon and is basically a normal pony.

I love my character Sunny Smiles, one because she kicks ass and two is a joy to write. I based her color scheme off of Norway from Hetalia,

oooh, what`s he like?

Deff gonna try out the story! But tomorrow

I also love Kelpie (Who`s the villain of the first part of my story, Sunny Smiles is in that story too) because she`s not even really threatening, she`s flustered dorkbutt who happened to be a villain, she may look intimidating, but she`s a idiot, it`s only when the deus ex machina of evil shows up that she becomes a real force to be reckoned with.

My OC, Equus Mortis is a mortician/coroner who works in Ponyville. About a year ago I thought to myself, what would the cutie mark of a mortician be? (After all, not every human/pony has a job that can be used in a pick-up line in a singles bar.:pinkiehappy:)
I like him because in spite of his spooky appearance, he wants to help people by finding out how someone died or by giving loved ones a decent burial.

3694083 You don't get what's so interesting about being able to be infinitely creative, make a character that is whatever you want, or whatever the story needs, and not be tied down to somebody else's ideas? If you don't get that, not sure I could ever explain. :twilightsmile:

Maybe this will help:

Whenever you write for a background character, you are, for all intents and purposes, creating an OC.

I like my version of Ditzy Doo. :twilightsmile:

Well, the point is that background characters don't really have a character, outside of fandom memes, and are going to turn up different in the hands of whoever is writing for them. Especially if you choose to ignore those memes. Hence an OC; you're just using an established name for the OC. Is that more clear?

I like my OC, Sukhbataar, because since Donkeys, zebras, and Arabian Horses are a thing in Equestria, why can't Przewalski's Horses also live there? Ironically, fans say that adding one more real world animal would be "over-scientizing the story", and then these same people proceed to look for hereditary explanations for Alicorns....
....:facehoof:....
.....:rainbowlaugh:.....
Oh, ironic, isn't it? All I did was what the writers have been doing for a while, and meanwhile the critics overthink magic!

That aside, while I made him too much of an angsty type at fist, in subsequent roleplays with someone who may be my special somepony, he's gone from being super-angsty to being slightly woobie, which is better than overwhelming angst.

He's also a caring and attentive parent to Scootaloo, though sometimes overly so; however, at one point, he kind of stopped paying attention to her for a while after her mother died, because he was in so much grief and buried himself in his work, this was during the first two seasons, that's why you never saw her parents. However, he's been making up for it since then.

Actually on topic, I really love my OC Ember. (She is a reference to the G1 Ember, who had three different appearances, ergo I figured she could be a changeling, but she is definitely an OC.) She is just fun and smart and sexy and always totally on the ball now, which is neat to write, but writing her past when she was innocent and totally confused and bewildered by ponies is also pretty fun.

I actually don't have an OC. OC's are too hard to figure out. I would like one but I'm really bad at making one. I don't even know the talents ._.

3693918 I like my OC Ravenblood Flame Blaze Shadow Fire Heart Nightshade because he's very original. :trollestia:

I really can't say much about my OCs because I haven't posted enough for anyone to really get to know them yet. That said I really enjoy developing the back stories for Each of them. The only one I can really about the moment is Silver Fall, my main character for my story Silver and Foals, and I do love her so. Why? Well first off she's a unique dragon, I made a crossbreed between an Asiatic dragon and a traditional European dragon (for the most part the series proper has only shown the European style dragons) and a result she has distinctive look that's (as far as I know) all her own. I also gave her some personality traits that I really haven't seen before and tried to write as best I could how certain kinds of characters would react to. Until someone gives me input on how it's going I'm just going go on believing that she's coming out wonderfully.

3694700 and apparently has a ridiculously long name.

It usually starts with a pun or word play. I came up with the name High Standard and liked it so much I decided to make him Shining Armor's successor as Captain of the Royal Guard - a really hardcore by-the-books perfectionist sort of guy. So far he's only been mentioned briefly in a one-shot but I had such a clear picture of him that I ended up expanding his role in another story.

Then I came up with his brother, Gold Standard, because I wanted to give Rarity a boyfriend and I couldn't find anypony in canon who fit the part. They ended up having an interesting dynamic, High Standard being the driven one and Gold Standard being the talented one.

3695207 Actually, that's his short name.

3693918 While not all of them have been written yet, I have a ton of ideas for a ton of different OCs. However, my first and my favorite would have to be the OC whose name I share: Tacitus. I won't lie, he isn't the most original and there are elements of self-insert. But I love him nonetheless. He has a passion for history, and an even greater passion for his friends. He loves his friends and he will do anything to keep them safe.

3693918 In my fic 'Tales of Valor,' my favorite OC isn't the titular Noble Valor, but rather another character in his past Lightning Joust. The way I've portrayed him so far is he's a jerk with a hidden softer side (like Batman without the intense attitude or Syaoran Li from 'Cardcaptors'). I can't wait for the audience and Noble to get more familiar with him so he can get more sarcastic. I am also ironing out a minotaur and a pair of griffin OCs. (They will play a crucial role if everything pans out like I hope. :pinkiehappy:)

Let's see... opening up my bag of OC's...

there's nothing in there. Interesting.

3693918 I would say, that the most rewarding thing that I found while writing for Treeling (and Asheveld) is that nothing can ever be just said, and nothing "said" is just what it appears to be. Treeling is a mute, and communicates by drawing pictures on a chalkboard, by design her communication style is interpretive. For anyone viewing what she has to say, they will only get as much out of it as they think she's smart enough to put into it, and some characters can't make sense of it at all.

Throughout the story, she flat out tells ponies over and over again what she's going to do, and because they don't pick up on it, or it simply doesn't translate, her goals and ambitions remain a surprise until realized. Subtlety is complexity in simplicity. This story has been, without a doubt, the most interesting experiment I've played with for blending fortelling and foreshadowing.

3696034 I honestly feel pity for you. Writing an OC is a chance to break from the norm and try something new and different while running no risk of insulting someone with a "bad" characterization of their favorite pone.

Hmm, I'd have to find any alive ones... Okay:

Curtain Call (story: Sleepless): a 9-year-old earth filly with cream coat, orange, braided mane, and theatre masks as her cutie mark. She meets Diamond Tiara at the hospital and wants her to play a role in Hearth's Warming Eve pageant she's preparing with other kids. Later it turns out there's no pageant and Curtain Call ran away from a secured psychiatric ward; she has occasional aggresion attacks and in one of such fits she murdered her parents before going to pageant rehearsal.
Her first appearance is also her last in person; all her other appearances are Diamond Tiara's hallucinations.

Sunshine Rainbows (also Sleepless, Manehattan Blues). Appearance: described as "oversized carrot", unicorn with orange coat and green mane, no cutie mark in Sleepless, not described in Manehattan Blues, but I think it's a shovel. Age: 11 in Sleepless, 17 in Manehattan Blues. Born in Trottingham. Introduced as Diamond Tiara's roommate in the hospital. Ignored by her parents, owners of a funeral parlour, cuts herself (she states that she does that to gain her parents' attention). Likes reading obituaries and stories about murders, accidents, disasters, and mysterious deaths. Talks in her sleep. At the age of 17 she works in a funeral parlour in Manehattan, occasionally helping mafia in disposing of the bodies. When she was younger, she could make Wednesday Addams look like a happy kid, later got happier, probably because she likes her job. Few quotes:
Sleepless:

Believe me, punk, if ya could hear my thoughts, ya’d jump outta the window and finally stop pissin’ me off.

Don’t look at me like that... If I wanted to kill myself, I’d do it along the way, not across the street.

They like to tell stories and I like stories… The sadder the better.

On other occasions, Sunshine was having long conversations with Diamond Tiara in her sleep. They were usually absurd – for example, two nights before she’d spent fifteen minutes talking about some colt Diamond Tiara didn’t know and how good he’d look in the coffin.

Hey, I have an autographed photo of her somewhere! If she kicks the bucket, its price’s gonna get higher than Cloudsdale…

Manehattan Blues:

Too bad I can’t use the crematory – the owners would notice. Also it’d make a lot of mess if one of your ‘problems’ had a pacemaker. But I just bury them in the cemetery…

For problems like yours, we’ll dig a deeper grave, bury them, and tomorrow put some good citizen above them.

Just realised something... Almost all of my OCs are nutjobs...

I like my OC because she is like me, which is garbage, but still... I must have something good in me, or else my friends would have dumped me in a well hoping that I would drown by now. (I don't for a second doubt that my friends would do that).

3693918 My OC is named Mija Shine. She is an anthro pony living in the world of normal ponies. She loves to read and her distinctive feature is wearing a corset that she draws her powers from. She has limited use of her magic and wants to be a nomal pony.

Midnight Felinus Mare
Sex: none (thought to be male)
Species: unknown (60% assorted cat, 2% human, 5% equine, 10% fallen angel among other things) Looks like an alicorn (much to his annoyance) with 4 black wings and 4 white wings
major appearences: The cat among ponykind, and how I got a job as an ambassador, along with other stories written by me
personality: Mayuri Kurosutchi mixed with Discord, and mad duel skills thrown in. a very oddball character, he prefers to goof off rather than do actual work or any at all. knows more than he leads on and likes dueling.
he does not live anywhere and rests in public places (trees, benches, desks, anywhere)
while strong ,he limits most of his power to seem harmless but has proven to be a mercy capable one-person army that can destroy entire worlds

where he came from: he is based off myself and my history, he is me and all that he is is me. as for his personality, we are similar but he is not as shy as I am but we tend to make others want to kill us. he is not a hero and pushes the fame towards others. he represents me but also what I know I can do. we both like childish things amnd shirking work in favor of our personal devaluation
we both loath ourselves and would rather die than let our friends hurt (immortality doesn't help this)
like the doctor, he travels through time and space as well as different dimensions. but unlike the doctor who is searching for a peaceful place to live, he is searching to find his death
he hates his immortality and is trying toi find his last stand and rush into it, so he can avoid the screams of those whom he couldn't save and finally die
he comes close but when someone stops him he is despondent and depressed, often appearing bored and without his usual random hijinks
anyways, he is a jerk looking to die and loves dueling

3746936 huh, they seem pretty nice to me
sadly, I am being honest

3695230 Lance Dancer, Prim Palisade and Quicken Squall. Three neat names I liked for "random pones who died that last fight" in 1,000 year ago Crystal Empire. Lance Dancer was a cavalry pegasus, Prim Palisade was a armored core unicorn, and Quicken Squall was an interdiction earth pony.

Thought about drawing them, but they're my only OCs who don't have any impact on any story I've written.

I have Three Main OC's .

One I'm using now and two who I will use in the future.

Reese Pieces/ Chry- A filly Changeling who had been exiled from the badlands by Queen Chrysalis herself after refusing to follow Changeling Tradtions and laws, From never feasting upon anothers Love, Refusing to harm another and freeing captured ponies within the Changeling homeland.

She is strong willed and compassionate to all living creatures, though never feasting upon another to survive has stunted her growth as well as powers, Her Changeling ability to look like a pony can only become a mis-matched looking coat with a tangled mane.

She gets over-worked easily and prone to panic attacks.

Gets adopted by Applejack when she finds her alone in the Everfree, and enjoys being apart of a family that cares for one another instead of being apart of a society rooted in hatered.

In the end though she is unable to live a normal life among the ponies, her body grows too weak without feeding upon anothers essence to survive, when faced with either giving in to the urges she had fought for her whole life and steal anothers cherished love or simply allow herself to pass on from malnutrition.

She chooses to die a Pony rather to live as a Monster.

Scourge- A unicorn cursed with a wicked raw magical power that causes her whole body to become deadly to all near her or those who touch her, As a filly she found out that she was not normal her body causeing death and decay to everything around her.

After accidently killing her Mother and harming her best friend, she chooses to hide within the everfree alone waiting till her life ends, so she could not harm another pony.

Living off the land until she is a mare, A sickly pegasus comes across her during a failed suicide attempt- both becomeing close friends afterwards when Scourge finds out the pegasus suffers from an odd curse herself.

The pegasus suffers from a condition where her body is prone to almost every and any disease though constantly overcoming each and every one, years of suffering stricking her blind in one eye , her mane withering away to nothing and constant bone breaks and lesions.

Yet being the only pony in all of equestria able to stand and touch Scourge, allows the unicorn to start to beilive in faith once more as well as think perhaps the future for her still has hope.

Scourge is strong willed, solemn, a bit quiet yet loving and kind only wishing to live a normal life, yet always forced to make heart-breaking choices.

Shooting Star- A light blue pegasus who has a fear of heights after a near death experience when she was just a filly, Lives within ponyville training herself to be a fast runner to make up for her weakness of not being able to fly.

She is a bit naive and silly at times prone to taking on bets and getting over her head yet she has a good heart, willing to put others before herself or place herself in danger for the sake of her friends she is a quirky pony to say the least.

Prefers to hang out with the oddballs of ponyville such as derpy, lyra, bon bon etc or even fillies, she is a character who is a kid at heart with a honest though accident prone soul.

Well those are my three I have a few others though they are still in the works.

I am very nterested in the ideas of Zebras potraying the race of Africans..

Having Ethiopian blood, I couldn't resist having my OC as a Zebra!

My OC is also a soccer player, cause I am a little too crazy about soccer, and her name is Ua Junhi (Swahili for Rose June)...

Or my version of Vinyl Scratch.:trollestia:

I've written about two OC's so far but I have many others in a story I'm in the process of writing. Here are the two I've already introduced from my most recent story:

Potato Roll is a ten-year old earth pony colt. I made him come from a potato farming background because I haven't seen ponies working with that particular kind of crop on the show (bagged chips don't count). His early life is based on that of Carl Yastrzemski who grew up on a Long Island potato farm and I happen to be from Long Island as well. He is a good-natured colt who always wants to do right but is very shy around meeting other foals, especially fillies. That comes into play when he meets Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in Apple Bloom's story. They visit his ghost in the cottage where he died in an accident.

Fine Tuner is a nineteen-year old earth pony mare. When I look up names for ponies, I try to be as original as can be and happened to not find one for violin parts. I introduced her as a companion to Fiddlesticks in Applejack's story since they both play violins (or in Fiddlesticks' case, a fiddle). She and I share the same taste in classical/romantic music in the sense that I listen to a lot of Schubert. Fine Tuner has crossed violin bows as her cutie mark because I've never seen that kind of mark before.

I think it's an unfortunate coincidence that both of these OC's are dead.

3693918 Crimson Crown. And no, I'm not gushing over him. I'm still working more on his character and all that.

Same with me regarding Native Americans as buffaloes. I even wrote about it in one of my fics by having Diamond Tiara do a tribal dance.

3766913 bet she wasn't happy about that.

Comment posted by Chase123 deleted Nov 5th, 2014

She was doing it to tease the CMC. I bet she was lucky Little Strongheart wasn't there to see it.:raritywink:

You want me to brag the hek out of my oc's?
I'M ON IT!
Lima bean
The fur color of bonbon and the mane color of Lyra- o.o
OK shes not a shipping adoptable. She just looks like them. Anyway :twilightsheepish:
She has a really big, fluffy, bouncy forelock, accompanied by two long fluffy low hanging ponytails. Her eyes are that cute golden color and her tail is cropped short.
Her cutie mark is a scroll to symbolize her talent in writing (this chick is pretty much my interpretation of me) and she loves fangirling over small things.
Roxy
A depressed chick who is kind of emo and finds inspiration through music alone.
Shes red with green zebra markings, though she isn't a zebra, and her mane is a green rainbow dash style. CM is a broken heart.
(Such emo, much goth) But really, shes extremely depressed to the point that even I, her inventor, wonders WHY shes so depressed all the time.
Chedder chalk
OK, I'LL ADMIT. THIS IS A CHEESEPIE SHIPPING ADOPTABLE, BUT SHES ALSO ONE OF MY MAIN OC'S.
She might have some unknown disease or sometin idk.
She has the classic puffy hair, but its a yellow color. Her fur is light pink, and her eyes are green. Her cm is a star for reasons no one knows :P

(I just realized all my oc's are earth ponies ouo)

Same with the two of mine. :raritystarry: Guess earth pony OC's are more interesting than we thought.

*Raises glass*
And plus, then you can make them have a weird sense!
OMG MAH BEAN SENSE IZ TINGLIN
Me: Lima, that won't work...
My Roxy sense is tingling.
:twilightoops:
My chalk sense iz tinglin!
Me: OK that works.
Do your OC'S have weird senses? :3

My OC is a reindeer named Cold Hart. Pretty cynical with a love for dark coffee and has a hard time warming up to others.
On the flip-side, he does enjoy seeing new places and won't back down if things get bad.

I am still trying to think of a name, but his current "concept name" is Prince Aran of the Principality of Aranthia. He is the leader of the Principality, which is the sister kingdom and tributary/military buffer state of Equestria in the far distant continent of "Hippor" - the MLP equivalent of Europe. The setting and theme is around the late 15th and early to mid 16th century - melding of the medieval and Renaissance cultures.

I envision Aran to be the cousin of both Princess Luna and Celestia, making him an alicorn. He is also going to be the main antagonist of the story. The basic plot is that the two royal sisters arrive in Aranthia to oversee a peace conference between the Principality and its archenemy the Ottomans. The peace process goes wrong and Aran tries to have the Sultan and his family killed. Naturally, Celestia and Luna try to intervene and have a fight with Aran. It is still a work progress, so forgive the plot holes, but Aran has the sisters arrested under charges of treason. The Mane 6 are involved as they have to help secure the escape of the sultan's eldest son along with some another OCs, all the while they are hunted by elements of the Aranthian Royal Army.

Aran also tries to force Luna to marry him to legitimize his authority and not make it look like he is a usurper. I know they are cousins, but it is still technically a culture set in the 15th-16th centuries and incest was still acceptable back in those days. It is a political marriage for the most part anyway, so Luna fans have nothing fear. Its not about the romance anyway. He tries to seduce/convert her to his side by using "dark magic", similar to that used by Sombra. This ends up triggering Luna's transformation back into Nightmare Moon at the climax of the story and they fight each other.

As always, everything is subject to change. I am also currently working on the "World Bible" for the setting and lore of the story. A whole new world, with different cultures, peoples, religions, its own locations, its own history, and back story. I intend to make a living and breathing world within the universe of MLP that will serve as the foundation that my stories will be written on top of.

Very nice list of characters. The first two I liked the best. Have you written the stories for them already?

3797381 I'm writing one at the moment a Trilogy-though small trilogy about Chry/Reese.- Volume one is called-Reese Pieces.

Volume two will be called- Demon Days.

Volume Three will be called- A Ponies Heart.

I've been busy so haven't gotten around to it in a while but very soon I'll finish Volume one and start Volume two.

Thanx for liking them.

As for Scourge- I do have an upcoming project with her coming up soon.

Shooting star is simply my fun OC pony one I can use if I ever want to do something funny or random.

I suppose my username/avatar counts as one, but I don't even know.

My OC is Red, the Omnipotent, the Omniscient, the Over-analyzing, and the Over-head Bird. Or Red Bird.

Very original design if I say so myself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 61