Human in Equestria 16,833 members · 16,990 stories
Comments ( 57 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 57

What has Anon done to you? leave Anon alone :raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

No seriously, why people dislike Anon in equestria fics?

No character development.

Because that name is dogshit. :ajbemused:

4chan users made a couple of decent ones and a truckload of garbage ones that are what most people think of when they see anon in Equestria stories.

They're stupid to the stupid degree

I like characters I can care about, not self-inserts. :moustache:

Stiggerzz
Group Admin

Because naming a character anon is fucking stupid and lazy.
I don't give a damn whether or not it's a 4chan thing. Give you character a name and an identity, dammit.

Because calling a character Anonymous instead of giving him an actual name and personality indicates a severe lack of creativity and forethought. Also, such a thing almost always reeks of self-insertion and/or wish-fullfillment.

Not to mention that "Anon" is not and never will be an acceptable name for a human. :ajbemused:

Because it is not a real name.
Because they are virtually always in second person.

2719401 i dont dislike them o3o

They're all right. Not something I would read on a regular basis.

They're an attempt to shoehorn the reader into the role of protagonist. This not only limits the target audience severely, it also alienates an ever-larger number of people as the story develops, mostly limiting them to one-shots. You can get around this by leaving the details of the main character ambiguous, but that's tricky to do without completely negating character development; something which I personally feel is an extremely important part of the narrative process.

2719401 Because Anonymous is a lazy petty placeholder for a bleeping charcter he lacks all substance and is just a sad excuse for a pathetic excuse.:flutterrage:

MetaKnight145
Group Admin

Because as Stiggerzz said it is fucking lazy not to give him a name.
Name him John Everyman for all I fucking care but give him a Sithis damn name.

aren't Anon character at some point like second person fics

MetaKnight145
Group Admin

No.
If you are doing a second person fic you just say "She called your name" and shit like that not fucking anon.

personally i really don't care ether way

Stiggerzz
Group Admin

Yes, they are, but naming anon is still stupid.
If I'm readin a second person fic, I'm gonna call the character by my name anyway. I don't need OP telling me what to call myself.

I'm not called anon. I'm called by my own name. A proper name.

Because pretty much every single one of them is a badly executed audience surrogate. Wet noodles have more character than anon.

Either name the character or don't. "Anon" is just being too lazy to come up with something beyond "Kyle."

MetaKnight145
Group Admin

I really don't want to but I guess I have to.
Sparta!
That was fucking painful.

Loco, there are a good amount of AiE stories which are worth reading. The thing is, people will hate it on principle alone. Anthro (which I severely dislike), and even HiE type stories will get picked on just on itself.

Just let the haters keep on hating, if you like it then by all means keep on reading.

If you ask me, I find that even worse than anon,kills the whole suspension of disbelief, but that's just me.

2719401 Most of them are terribly written. Not all, but most. It's the same reason why [insert category here] fics get a bad rep.

2719607 Actually I have never had the oportinity to read a AIE fic, they never drag my atention.

Can you recommend one to me?

It just surprise me the level of hate this fics tent to have.

He's normally just a blank slate for readers to project onto. There's rarely anything creative or interesting about him.

When there is, using the name 'Anonymous', instead of coming up with a name, is just plain lazy.

>>>> posts about anon in Equestria hate
>>>> never actually read an anon in Equestria

2719677 It got my curiosity and surprise me the level of hate this fics tent to have.

That is why I am asking

2719401 Well, as many have already said (and in which I agree), naming your character "Anonymous" as his actual name instead of as, say, a code name, is lazy writing done by people who can't be bothered enough in their writing to actually name their character.

I typically avoid stories with the character "Anon" outside of clop because it says to me that the writer doesn't actually care about his or her work or readers and is only trying to score quick followers, views, favorites and likes.

Don't worry buddy, I like the anon fics.

Wild Roses is one of my favorites

2719491 People hate 2nd person fics too...

2719708 Wild rose is an Anon fic?

Well it seems that I have read an anon fic after all, and a good one nothing less. I love that fic, wish the were more like that one.

I dislike characters named anon or any form of it because it's a cruddy name and shows ether uncarring to make a real name. Anytime I read a story with anon as a main character I immediately dislike it (in my mind, not like thumbs down) even if it is a good story.

Scratch that last link. The author finally converted his story from greentext to prose. And it jumped to the feature list too!

So here it is

2720402 Great thank you, I am going to read it later.

Because those cuntfaces can't even think of a simple name like Fred, Ursula,Carl or Ken.

It might be something to do with the fact that 'anonymous' basically means someone who doesn't want to be known to others and these kinds of fics appear to be trying to place an actual character with the word as a name.

I don't really read anon in Equestria, but there is the occasional one that catches my eye, like
Pretty in Pink, when the name 'anon' first came up, I was like :unsuresweetie: but it is far from terrible
because it has this cute lovable earth pony :pinkiesmile:

Seeing the name 'Anon', Anon. E. Mous, or any other variant of it just... hacks me off. Come on, you idiot authors; actually write a fucking character for pony's sake. Give him a name - John, Jordan, Keith, Richard, Michael, Chris, Nick, Jackson, Claire, Lois, Corben, - or whatever. What do they look like, height, weight, build, facial features, clothing, personal effects? What was their job before they came to Equestria?

FUCKING THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE. IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD IF YOU SIT AND PLAN IT OUT.

(This is just a rant; it's not directed at any one of you in this forum, BTW.)

2719401 Awful name, generally reeks of self-insert wish fulfillment.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 57