• Published 16th May 2013
  • 898 Views, 8 Comments

When Rainbows Fade - HeatherBlossom



The mane six are the band of mares we know and love with their destinies entwined since before they met, but what if the event that lead them down their paths never occurred?

  • ...
1
 8
 898

Diamonds and Stones

The sky stretched on in a grimly gray hue as two ponies stood out in the middle of a field filled with nothing but....rocks. Upon closer examination one would note that the rocks were not scattered but were arranged in a rough pattern, as to be expected of an orderly rock farm. The two mares occupying a small space stood before a bolder ten times the size of a full grown stallion, the lone unicorn of the pair had it covered in her magical aura with an expression of tense concentration, while the other, a solemn earth pony, watched with a stoic countenance. The earth pony at a glance seemed out of place in this setting as her coat was a light shade of pink in comparison to the ferocious shade of her straight mane and tail, however on closer examination the onlooker would also notice that her expression was devoid of any emotion let alone something to compliment her cheery coloration, her eyes were a cold blue that could bring shudders as she slowly blinked. The unicorn was no less outstanding though in a different way, she was a head turner, she had a pure white coat complimented by a royal purple mane and tail that was luxuriously curled, her eyes were a dazzling deep blue with long luscious lashes and a light periwinkle eye shadow.

Small beads of sweat rolled down her face as her aura intensified, suddenly the bolder began to shake violently as small pebbles broke off of it, they soon became larger until a shape was beginning to form in the stone. The pink earth pony slowly raised her eyebrows, ...she's at it again..., her expression hardly faltered as the rocky form became more defined. Finally the bolder ceased its convulsions and stood in a new graceful shape, the mare let out a breath she wasn't aware she had been holding and looked to her pink comrade in pride, nearly panting as she spoke,"Well! What do you say, Pinkie? Isn't it utterly fabulous?" She looked upon her companion's work with the stare that was undefinable, the enormous stone was now a majestic statue of a slender pony in a ballet pose, her forearms reaching toward the sky and intertwining like a delicate ribbon, she was balanced on one of her hind legs by just the tip of her hoof giving wonder as to how the wind did not push her over.

The magenta maned mare looked forward not turning to give a glance as she said, "You were only supposed to break the bolder down into more manageable pieces, not strain yourself making something we'll never use." The unicorn had a brief look of hurt in her eye but it quickly receded into a sedate disappointment as she shrouded the sculpture in her magic, "Yes...I know..." the art was then demolished into a neat pile of rubble as she continued in a chipper tone, "Just wanted to liven things up a bit you know?"

"And another thing...its not Pinkie its-"

"-Pinkamena. I know, darling, but Pinkie just sounds so much more cheery don't you think?"

Pinkamena looked to her companion who returned an innocent smile, she then turned and walked toward the direction of a dull house not too far off, "Works done for today, Rarity. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off..."

"Oh! Wait a moment Pinkamena!" Rarity turned and cantered after her co-worker, "I've been meaning to speak to you about something!"

She slowed down so Rarity could catch up beside her but her gaze remained forward,"What do you need?", there was a hint of anxiety in her eyes for a moment but then she spoke with the tone that charmed some of the most callous of stallions "Well,darling, I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, if I could take some time off in a couple of weeks."

"How much time?"

"Just a week..." the unicorn spoke now a bit more reserved than before, Pinkamena raised an eyebrow subtly.

"Going to visit your family in Ponyville?" she knew Rarity was rather embarrassed of her parents, so it was probable that she would wish to conceal any association with them, though Pinkamena doubted this. After all working on a rock farm was not exactly a glamorous occupation, to most sane ponies at least, and Rarity seemed quite humbled since when she first came there. Still the unicorn did plenty of frivolous things she failed to understand, such as dolling herself up each day as if she were heading off on a night out when in reality she was to spend her day doing hard labor.

"oh, er, actually no-well i might on my way back if I have the time, but I'm taking a sort of mini-vacation, I've been saving up and making preparations for a few months now...."

"Oh?"

The two mares were now headed to a single tall tower adjacent to the dull house from before, the tower was currently vacated by Rarity, as commuting from her hometown to work would be far to troublesome especially with the amount of 'preparation' she underwent for each day. As they approached the unicorn seemed to have a troubled look on her face,"...Where are you planning to have this vacation?" Pinkamena inquired, her curiosity was stirred and perhaps even some concern, as they approached the old wooden door of Rarity's tower the purple-maned mare did not turn as she bluntly stated "...Canterlot..." for the first time in ages the young pie's eyes fully opened in surprise as she stopped dead in her tracks.

Canterlot?

For a moment she wondered if she had heard correctly until Rarity responded, her back to her, "...There actually having an expo there...I've really been wanting to see...and even..." her sentences trailed off as she mumbled. Pinkamena fully turned to her companion for the first time, "A vacation to Canterlot? That's an expensive trip..."

"Oh but of course it is!" Rarity swung around suddenly, her eyes no longer filled with worries but of a hopeful excitement,"This is Canterlot we're talking about! The glamour! The fashion! The sophistication! I've always dreamed-!" she then stopped with her rant abruptly, the former emotions returning to her features. Dreamed of...?, now it was apparent there was something more to this trip then vacationing, Rarity had a hoof over her mouth as she looked away from the mare before her, slowly moving it away from her lips she looked to Pinkamena with an expression she couldn't determine. "Pinkie...we're friends...aren't we?"

Friends...that word caught her off guard, enough so that she didn't even notice that the unicorn had addressed her as Pinkie. The earth pony couldn't recall having friends before, she rarely left the farm, her only companions being her sisters and parents. But friendship was something she contemplated more than she realized, from what she could make of it friends were ponies you could trust and go to when in need, they had mutual interests and smiled together. Though she couldn't recall the last time she had smiled and the two of them were drastically different the mare knew that she trusted Rarity, if she had to call anypony her friend it would certainly be her, "...yeah, I think so..."

Rarity took her by the hoof with a hopeful smile and lead Pinkamena inside, upon entering she caught a whiff of jasmine and was taken aback by the finery she beheld. The once hay-filled rickety tower was bedecked in delicate colors from draperies to doilies, throw pillows to lamp shades, and upon looking closer it appeared most of the adornments were hoof-made."Admiring the decor, I see?" Pinkamena blinked and turned to the unicorn who gave her a teasing smile,"Where did you get all this?" she asked dumbstruck, to buy articles this fine on its own would be pricey and even if they were hoof-made she couldn't even begin to wonder what the materials must have cost or where to even purchase such valuables.

"Oh, here and there." Rarity spoke of it as if she had been asked about the weather,"Ever since I started working here I've been trying to give this quaint little tower some homey touches, and a mare must find something to do with herself in her spare time," the dame now looked to her companion with a more serious expression,"but I didn't just bring you in here to stare at the furniture..."

She lead them upstairs to the next floor and stopped before a dusty wooden door, as she opened it there was aloud creak. Pinkamena was surprised to find that this time she was not blasted with a tantalizing scent but with something more subtle that was neither indoctrinating or repulsive. Inside the room was an utter mess, boxes were filled to the brim with spent and full thread spindles, scissors and needles lay strewn over tables along with scraps, enormous rolls of fabric were piled before mannequins some of which were attired in clothing, the likes of such she had never seen before.

Rarity drew near one particular ensemble and fluffed its high collar, it had to be the most stunning creation of the lot, worthy of a princess at the Grand Galloping Gala as it was composed of different hues of pink and rouge, a collar and sleeves with regal ruffles at the ends, and gems decorated the skirts in orderly patterns but did not over relish its grace. There was also jeweled accessories on the model to further compliment the already magnificent apparel, three studs for the ears were arranged from the largest going up, the largest a deep purple and the smaller two a twinkling gold, an extravagant necklace hung around its neck with a large diamond at its center, glass slippers were at the hooves plain but polished and refined and lastly a sparkling tiara was placed delicately on the head, one gemstone at its center, the wearer would certainly be a princess, if only for one night.

"Did you...?" her voice trailed off as she took in an amazement she had never known, was Rarity truly capable of creating such finery? She had always known the mare to be as stylish as possible but this was more than fashion, this was art if a pony had ever seen it.

"I've been working on this for some time now...I want to take this with me...along with a few sketches and...maybe...somepony will like it enough...", Rarity's voice trailed off, her mind wandering to several fantasies of her work being discovered and admired but also bearing fears of being rebuffed and humiliated by the upper crust. Pinkamena remained silent,...'I've always dreamed-", was this it? Was her dream to be realized as, what she called, a fashionista? She remembered the unicorn's first few days on the farm and how rough the adjustment was for her, she had been certain she would leave within the first week but oddly enough the town pony persisted, it had been bewildering until one afternoon when the work was finished for the day...

Rarity was still out in the field and it was nearing dark, Pinkamena's father asked her to tell the new laborer that she best head inside since the nights could become quite nippy. As she came closer she became aware that the mare's face was stained with tears she paused and considered turning back and allow her to sob in peace but missed the opportunity as the unicorn turned to glance in her direction,"Oh, hello Miss Pie, lovely afternoon is it not?" she seemed to not even notice her tears but smiled with calm beauty. Pinkamena was taken aback on how to deal with the situation but decided to take the other's lead and act as if nothing was out of the ordinary,"I guess as much as any other...you should head in soon, its cold out at night..."

"Oh, of course, of course." she nodded her head and looked up to the stars beginning to show up in the slowly darkening sky, they twinkled like small gems, her gaze slowly drifted down to the rocks that occupied the fields, they stood firm in a presence that was difficult to rupture but was featureless and gray. A small tear slid down her eye as she sighed, "This is my destiny?"

"What?" the earth pony was puzzled, she never thought on something as divine as destiny, at least not very often, but what could this dame be talking about?

"My cutie mark...I actually wasn't that happy when I realized what made me...'special'..." Pinkamena looked to the mare's plot cautiously, her cutie mark was a bulging triangular rock, plain and simple. "I had been going about my life all wrong before, I actually thought I was going to pursue something different...I thought I could be...a fashionista..." she once again looked to the stars but this time with a hint of scorn,"how could I have believed in something like that? How silly..." she turned her gaze back to her companion this time with a look of cynical certainty,"Such a waste of time, I'm obviously meant to make my life here, why else would my path have led me here? Here I can be useful, Here is where I belong."

The earth pony blinked at this, contemplating, a cutie mark? A destiny? She had never thought on such terms, her own cutie mark was a depiction of a rolling stone, she had gotten it by developing a faster way of moving bigger rocks from field to field, by jumping on top and trotting backwards, causing it to roll in the desired direction. She hadn't gone as far as to say that it was her destiny, but merely what she could do, she had always known she would live on the farm until she began to wither. Was Rarity realizing this fate for herself? If so she didn't seem...satisfied.

Rarity trotted passed Pinkamena in a graceful gate,"Well come along, Miss Pie! We should head inside now, it shall be getting cold soon won't it?" without another thought the magenta maned mare walked steadily after her. It wasn't until later that night the gears in her mind turned, she had never thought of ponies having destinies in such a way. She had never held any hope of her life becoming any less bleak since she was a child, since then she came to accept the unchanging system of each day, the passionless labor, the numb feeling that seemed to never go away...Pinkamena realized that she had submitted to her fate...

It would now seem that Rarity had not done the same, there was still hope in her, still dreams. Pinkamena looked around her, at the crafting supplies, the fine material, the painstakingly drawn sketches on the walls..."Why?"

"Huh?" Rarity turned to her companion who had pulled her from her bipolar reveries,

"Why? I don't understand...you said yourself-" the pink mare walked closer to the unicorn and pointed to her flank,"-this is your destiny, its what you can do, and do best. How does this come to this?" she then gestured to the entirety of the studio. The unicorn looked to her flank and then to her creations and clutter, her expression turned blank,"Why...why indeed..." the mare was silent for a moment then suddenly ripped the collar off her greatest creation holding it tightly in her hoof, "R-rarity?" the earth pony looked in shock at what she had done and looked on in near horror as she grasped the tiara in her magical aura and flung it at the wall cracking it in two,"Why do I bother?!!" she shouted in agony as she now grasped the mannequin and hurled it near the door, causing her companion to flinch and grit her teeth "None of it even matters! There was always something missing! There was always something WRONG!" she spoke through a broken voice and eyes seething with tears, falling to her hind legs and shutting herself away from, what she believed to be, atrocities. She sobbed softly,"...It was me.." Pinkamena approached the unicorn cautiosly once more,"Rarity...?"

"It was always me..." she looked up to her companion in devastation,"...wasn't it...?" she looked into her eyes and without warning she wrapped her arms around the earth pony's neck, her coat muffling sobs. Pinkamena stood rigid at first then slowly returned the embrace, her heart was racing...what had she done? This pony still had it in herself to hope, to dream in a place where she herself had ceased to...through her thoughtlessness she had broken her...she had hurt her, the one pony she had from the outside world...her only friend...she had hurt her only friend...

The pink mare's eyes filled with tears, something they hadn't done since she was a child, and spilled out over her cheeks. The two mares held each other into the night, sulking in the fates that had been handed to them, neither knowing how else life would be.

Comments ( 8 )

Not bad but kind of rushed and there's a big wall of text that really makes it hard to follow. You should get an editor for this. :eeyup:

Twixie will consider editing this.

Message her if you are interested in her help.

2587696
God damnit, your name and pic are adorable.
I seem to like Trixie more already.

2588999

:raritywink:

Would you like her gweat and powaful editing skills?

2590327
No thank you, I am a proud Grammar Nazi, but I appreciate the offer. Besides, I have a long way to go before I'm ready to publish stories. :twilightsheepish:

Awesome story. So any chance of an update?

5576541 maybe, i have the second chapter completely thought out, just gotta type it all up. Its like 1/3 the way done

Login or register to comment