• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 1,856 Views, 19 Comments

Serving Purposes - Resurgent Wanderer



A changeling lies dying at the hooves of Princess Twilight Sparkle. But before he passes, he decides to think over his final decision of his life.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,856

Purpose

Twilight, for the first time in a very, very long time, felt at near total peace. There was but one thing that tugged at the back of her mind. Yes, she had already met all her old friends, but there was one that she'd yet to meet, one she wanted to meet the most. Turning from her friends, the alicorn walked down the golden hued streets to find Solaris and Lunesta. They would know where her most wanted friend was, and her mind would not rest until she found him and forgave him.

~~~~~~~

Seven sat on the same hill he had seated himself upon his first arrival. Over the years wild plantlife had grown over his chitinous shell, but he did not mind. He sat and he slept, the worries of hunger no longer prevalent in his mind. Instead he simply awaited the day he could apologise.

This was the one thing nopony here could ever understand. After all, the Summerlands were made for the ponies, but for one such as he, alone and unique in the afterlife nothing changed save for his need for food. Every second still felt to be a second, every minute a minute, hour an hour and day a day. Thus Seven had waited, feeling every millisecond of the past twenty thousand years weighing down upon him.

Still, he did not move, for he had done something terrible.

True, it was one of those moments that one would feel was a good idea at the time, but with the time Seven had taken to think on it, he knew now that he was a fool.

Twilight had suffered in the weeks following his death, having never known love of the romantic sort before. Her introduction to it, holding his dying carapace, was not one that went over well with the alicorn's emotions.

Still, he knew he was forgiven, but he was intent on serving his 'penance' until she came to him herself.

~~~~~~~

"I was told I would find you up here." whispered a soft voice as lavender magic cleared away the grown on debris from Seven's carapace.

For the first time in hundred of years, Seven moved. His head spun slowly to find Twilight looking at him with a large smile.
"I was but waiting for you. I mean to apolo-"

The Changeling's words dissipated as a set of lavender lips touched his chitinous black ones. Mere moments felt longer than the years he'd spent waiting before they broke the kiss.
"Never apologise, Seven, because you gave me the drive to keep going. My light at the end of the tunnel, my own personal shining star I could always look forward to seeing come 'night'... and now, you here with me, forever. You gave me this, and I will never stop loving you for it."

Any thoughts that were anything but happy evaporated from Seven's mind as he and Twilight began walking down the hill, side by side as they had always been. They were done suffering side by side, they were both done waiting, and wishing, and longing. Now reunited after over twenty thousand long years the pair at last delved into paradise, as it had, for them, always been waiting in the form of the embrace of the other.

All they had ever wanted to begin with.

Author's Note:

So there's the big cheesy ending.

Honestly, it's nothing serious, but leaving it at number 1 was actually depressing me. Like, through the day, no just when I read it. So I said eff it and made the two new ones, and made the ending happy. I feel better now.

Hope you guys enjoyed this little one shot made three part.

Finally, working on a picture to add up at the end of Seven and Twilight snuggling or something.

Comments ( 5 )

2603051 I'm sure there are plenty of grammar mistakes, as most of my writing takes place in betwixt 12 am and 6 am and my mind is generally tired. If you could give me a holler after your reread of the story about the formatting that would be great too.

As for why Seven saved Twilight, well, he fell in love with her from a distance after seeing her at the wedding. When the queen ordered her death out of simple anger and as a wish for petty revenge Seven decided he'd had enough. Chryssy had led the Changelings to the brink of extinction, with only seven left, and her only goal left was not to save the race, but to kill one pony(that Seven had come to love from a distance) out of petty anger.

Fed up with her stupidity, and refusing to stand for the attack, Seven decided he would fight back.

Eeyup. :eeyup: Favoriting this. This was amazing.

When it said that Seven was on a hill it reminded me of the place Blu was waiting for King in the story "The Great Slave King", except there wasn't a tree that Seven was sitting under.

I feel like critiquing this in 2019 would be pointless, but... I'll give my thoughts. There is no build-up, nothing to make the audience invested. This feels like if the final chapters and epilogue of a much longer story was published on its own and cross-bred with its own cliffnotes to produce... well, whatever this was. I don't know if you're still writing, but I hope you've gotten far better in the past 6 years.

This is a nice little story. Great job at this.

Login or register to comment