• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 740 Views, 29 Comments

The Dragon Fire Chronicles - Dragon Fire



The origin story of Dragon Fire as he tries to save the world from the threat of the eternal dragon flame.

  • ...
2
 29
 740

Old pains and unexpected confessions(Edited)

Many thanks to Darth Quadro for his help with the chapter. You should go check him out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning had been perfect so far. I had went through town gotten all the things I needed to finished and now I was sitting at the edge of white fall forest with the mare I had been trying to ask out forever, how could this day get any better.

It had been almost three hours since my chance meeting with Rain Dance. We were sitting inside the tree and I had just returned with some food and drinks. As we ate we began to talk and soon we were going back and forth telling stories and laughing.
wa

“So you told me how you got your sword and what happened to your father, but what about the rest of your family? What are they like?”

Rain Dance’s question gave me pause. I looked up and grinned as I thought about trying to explain my family. “Well, what do you want to know?”

She looked at me with questioning eyes. “Do you have any brothers or sisters, and what about your mom where is she?”

“I do have a brother, and my mother lives in the village.” My grin spread wider as I thought about my brother. “My brother’s name is Boomthalamuel.” Rain Dances look changed from questioning to confused and then back to questioning.

“Boomthalamuel?”

“Yes I know it’s a strange name but it is his name and he is anything but normal.” I let out a sigh and continued. “He has an unusual talent. He is a unicorn but he doesn’t know much about magic other than basic levitation, his talent springs not from his magic but what he does with it. He uses his magic to create and power machines, granted most of them explode in his face, but what experiments that don’t explode are fantastic.”

Rain Dance looked both surprised and intrigued by what I was telling her. “What kinds of things does your brother build?”

“All sorts of things. Once he created a device that when activated would allow unicorns to channel their magic inward instead of outward like usual. I had to field test it. While it worked eventually I did get blown up four times in the process.”

` “That’s amazing! I didn’t even know that was possible.”

“Yes it was, Boom is currently working on something different. He wants to use my power word spells and incorporate them into his inventions to increase my spell power ten-fold.”

“That sounds dangerous.”

“No not at all, it's rather interesting mixing technology and magic when you think about it, but I digress. Let move on shall we.”

Rain dace took a bite of the sandwich that was between her hooves and looked back at me, motioning to move on.
“My mother’s name is River Melody. She is a musician much like you but she doesn’t play an instrument, but she instead bends the elements to make her music. The birds become her singers, the winds and spiders her strings, the beavers and bears her drummers, the rivers and grasses are her beat and flow. Her music was mesmerizing and saddening but also gave the listener an insight into the power of nature and what it can do given the right nudge.”

“It sounds wonderful. Does she still play?”

“Sadly no. She stopped some years ago but when she did play she could make even the toughest stallions cry and the most talented musicians envy her ability. She doesn’t use her ability any more but she dose still play a number of different instruments, mostly piano and violin, she even taught me and my brother to play but I use my magic to control the instrument and I stick to playing guitar and violin. My brother on the other hand plays mostly piano and for some reason uses his hooves to play.”

“Odd.”

“I know but what can you do.” I shrugged that one off. “I’ve told you about my family so how’s about you tell me about yours.”

She looked down to the floor with a downtrodden look on her face. “I live with my aunt and uncle, both my parents died when I was young and they took me in. I don’t have anyone but them.” She finished her sentence with a small almost unnoticeable sob.

I looked to her and she brought her head up, a saddened look on her face.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

She wiped away a tear that had begun to form and cracked a small smile.

“No it’s alright. They’ve been dead for some time but it just still hurts to talk about.”

“It’s alright I understand.” I reached over and put a hoof on her shoulder. “If you don’t want to talk about it I won’t pry.”

“Ok. Say I’ve been meaning to ask but how did you get you cutie mark?”

At her words I froze, unsure of what to do.

'I can't tell her'

“I got it in a fight about five years ago.”

She looked to my flank to get a good look at my mark. The shape was almost like that of a shield but it was a deep blue, hollow in the middle, there were also two sharp lines at both ends of the top crest of the center symbol as well as two coming from the very top.

“Well it’s actually an ancient symbol, one that was used by the ancient wolf packs of the east. It represents Strength in both body and mind.”

Rain dance looked at my cutie mark for a minute like she was studying it. I cleared my throat and she looked up with a slight blush coming on from the fact that she was staring at my flank.

“So how did you get it and what does it mean your special talent is?”

I looked at her and then to the floor of the tree and them back to her remembering the day I had earned the mark on my flank.

“I don’t really want to talk about it. Its’ kind of a painful memory.”

“Oh ok. Say do you want to listen to some music I've been working on?”

I went to the side of the tree to lie down and looked to her. “I would love to hear it Rain Dance.” She nodded and pulled out her violin. I laid back and closed my eyes and lost myself in her music.

)===={}====(

As I lost my self in my memories I found myself coming back to the day I got my cutie mark again and again.

That day was four years ago.

It started like any other day, I awoke and made my way to the farm as per usual. Before brandy moved to town my trips to the farm were mainly for training but today was different, I was going to be taking my friend Inky on a picnic. I arrived at the farm and Inky was standing at the door of the farm house, waiting for me.

“Hey Inky, you ready to go?”

“Yes just about, I do need some help with the basket and table cloth though. Do you think you can help?”

“Ok, be there in a second.” After giving my answer I reached over my shoulder to the saddle bags I had brought, and checked on the package I was carrying. Seeing that my charge was still safe in its wrapping I went inside to help Inky. As I walked through the back door to the kitchen I saw Inky struggling to pack all the food and a cooking pot into a basket. Seeing this I gave a soft chuckle and grabbed the food and pot in my magic and started placing them inside the basket. Inky, relived of her task, set off to prepare the other things she needed.

As I packed the basket I thought to why we were going on this picnic in the first place. It was Inky’s birthday today. I had decided that I would bring her on this and cook her some lunch and we could spend some time together.

After a time Inky returned and I had already finished packing the pot and ingredients. “Hey Inky I’m ready to go, how about you?”

“Yes I’m ready to go.”

……………

We had walked from the farm to my training grounds. Only stopping at our tree for me to grab my sword. I didn’t think I would actually need it other than for me to prepare the grounds for our meal, but you never know.

“So where are we eating and where are you going to cook?”

I set the basket down and gestured to the large clearing before us with a hoof. “I’m going to make us a place.”

Levitating a log from up in the trees. I had selected the log the day prior and had cut it fresh from the tree. It was wide enough for a table and long enough that I could make some makeshift benches out of it. I had stored it in a tree to keep insects from infesting it.

As I pulled it down and set it up I looked over the size of it and thought. The tree that I cut down to get this log was a pain. I didn’t want to dull my sword with cutting it so I went to Miss Dust and explained my situation. Hearing what I had in mind she lent me their wood cutting axe and I used it to cut the tree down. Now though the wood was weaker and would cut easily.

Placing the wood on its side in the grass I started to cut. I separated two small disks that would provide us with seats. I then cut a larger piece to serve as a table, the rest I chopped into fire wood for the cooking.

As l wrapped everything in the dark aura of my magic I also got to work with cooking. Lighting the fire using my sword and some flint I like to carry around for just such an occasion, I set the pot on top of the make shift fire pit.

……………………….

Now I’m not the best cook, not by a long shot but you can’t really screw up potato soup. After we ate and had some juice to
drink we sat atop our tree looking out upon the forest. When we were younger we would look out upon this same view from this same tree and think that we were on top of the world. We were pirates, the tree our ship, and the forest our ocean. Over the years I grew and my brother came around and suddenly the responsibility fell on me to support my family. I took odd jobs to get meager coin; I worked the fields for both the rock and wheat farmers. Inky and her family the Pies they helped me and gave me decent pay and food on occasion and have been helping me keep my family afloat for years. Over that time I have come to know Inky, her Mom, Dad, and sisters very well. They were the only people in town that were willing to help us and I am forever grateful for that.

Over that time however Inky has yet to lose that sense of childhood wonder and that’s one of my favorite things about her. She never seems to lose her heart or her sense of adventure. I would be lying if I didn't say that I came to admire her for that.

After a time of us sitting there without speaking I decided to strike up some sort of conversation.

“So Inky how’s your sisters doing?”

She looked away from the tree line to address me. “Oh there doing fine. Maudie is still trying to get the farms taxes fixed and she still can’t get her mind off of the troubles were in. Pinkie finally got her cutie mark too."

“That’s good, by the way I have something for you.” And with that I reached into my bag and extracted my gift for her to see. Inside was a pendant shaped like a crescent moon inlay-ed with a perfectly cut moon stone. Inky absent noticed neither my movement or the gift she was still starring of into the woods. "Inky?"

"Yes Fire?" She turned to me and saw what I was holding and her eyes sparkled.

"Happy birthd- !"

My sentience was cut short as Inky rapped her forelegs around me in a tight hug. I was so startled by her sudden action that I nearly lost my concentration and dropped her gift but I manage to set it on the tree just in time.

We remained like that for several minutes, just sitting there embracing each other until after what seemed like hours I heard a faint sobbing by my side. I also felt tears soaking into my coat. I pulled Inky away and looked into her eyes, they were downcast and lines of wet tears were pouring down her face.

“Inky what’s wrong?”

She didn't answer me.

“Inky.”

Still she gave no response.

“Inky answer me!”

At this she lifted her eyes to meet mine and in them was a look of sadness. For what I don’t know but at that moment I didn't care. Inky my greatest friend in this world was crying, and I would not let her sorrows go without giving her someone to tell them to.

I pulled her into another hug and let her sob into my shoulder. After what felt like hours her crying faded to sobs and sniffles. I pulled her back up and looked her in the eyes and tried again. “Inky what’s wrong?”

She gave no response but instead she reached for the pendant sitting in-between us. Once she had the pendant she held it out to me and spoke. “W-why?”

“Why what? Inky your starting to scare me I've never seen you like this, Are you ok?”

Her hooves started to shake and a single tear fell from her face and onto the stone set into the pendant.

"Why would you give me this?"

And now it was my turn to look crestfallen. "I`m sorry you don't like it, I just thought that you love the stars and the moon so much that you would like it."

She shook her head and gripped the pendant to her chest.

"No it- it's not that, I think it's beautiful. It's just.... how could you afford it, you barely make enough money to keep your family warm and with food."

The question was one I had seen coming but not one I was looking forward to answering. "I spent the last six months working nonstop on the farms to earn enough to afford that gem alone."

At this she looked even worse. "But it was all worth it to give you a gift good enough for you." After I finished my little speech I gave her a soft smile. I nearly fell of the tree when instead of Inky giving me a kind word or a hug, she kissed me. My thoughts ran almost as fast as my heart and when they both calmed down I found myself returning the kiss. The kiss seemed to last days even if it was only a few seconds but after we parted Inky granted hold of me and buried her head in my shoulder.

"I don't need an amazing present so long as I have you Dragon Fire. I love you and it took your kindness to make me admit it."

I just sat there shocked and confused but as my nerves calmed I realized that I felt something else, happiness, I felt happy that Inky loved me and I embraced the fact that deep down I loved her too. I just needed to let it out. I looked down at the mare next to me and as she looked up at me I couldn't help a smile forming on my face.

"I love you too Inky."

............

For hours we remained there in silence just enjoying each other’s presence, but soon the sun began to set and it was time for us to go.

We walked to the edge of the forest without talking. Only the occasional nod or soft smile, letting me know that Inky was still there. As we neared the edge of the forest I could see the farm and Inky’s house. I was about to say goodbye and lever her to go home when a low growling stopped me.

As I looked behind me the first thing my mind registered was the two pairs of glowing green eyes staring back at me. My blood ran cold and I backed up until I bumped into Inky. She had turned around trying to find what was wrong and I heard a gasp escape her as she saw the eyes. My mind worked on overdrive trying to keep up with my heart and the two reached a decision. “Inky on the count of three run to the house.”

“One.” The growling grows louder.

"Two.” My heart slows and my mind clears.

“Three!!” We broke out running for the edge of the forest Inky’s fear making her keep pace with me. When we neared the edge two more beasts burst from the wood and from there green eyes bark like skin and leaf covered heads I could tell we were being hunted by Timber-wolves. We both ground to a halt and looked for a way out. The two from earlier had circled us and pined us in the only way out was, deeper into the forest.

"Run Inky!” We dived into the forest and down our path. The only reason the Timber-wolves haven’t caught us yet is because they were toying with us. We emerged into the clearing with our tree far ahead of the wolves. My mind cleared and I quickly thought of a plan to keep the wolves away from Inky. “Inky I need you to go inside the tree and stay there, don’t come out unless I come and get you.”

Inky was on the verge of total panic and when she looked at me and heard what I said she had tears in her eyes. “But…. What about you?”

“I’ll be fine, I just need you to trust me. You do trust me right?”

“Of course!”

“Good, then you need to listen, if I don’t come for you within ten minutes go into my hammock, inside is a small glass orb if I don’t come back toss it in the air above the tree and help will come.”

She gave me a nod and one last look before she climbed into the tree. After she was safe I turned to the woods. “COME AND GET ME YOU WOODEN SHITS!!!”

……

When I said to come and get me they were more than happy to oblige and I barely kept ahead of them. I leapt into the clearing and turned to face the woods.

The wolves were in my turf now and fighting on my terms. Two of the wolves burst from the woods and quickly made to surround me. I stood and drew my sword ready to fight but before I could strike I saw the last thing I was expecting. Inky was standing at the edge of the clearing, I had no idea what she was doing there or why she had left the tree but I didn't have time to consider it.

I yelled at Inky to run as I prepared for my strike. Just then A timber wolf leapt from behind me jaws open aiming to crush the back of my neck. I had my sword in my hoof but the angle was too awkward to bat the wolf away with it so instead I grasped one of my training logs with my magic and hurled it at the airborne creature.

Wood smashed against wood, and while the attack had the desired effect of batting the thing away long enough for me to get into a defensive stance; the timber wolf held together strong and was back up on its feet and snarling for vengeance. I snarled back.

Watching the first wolf I barely had time to notice another flanking me to the side. Thinking it had caught me off guard, it leapt at my side. I quickly performed a dodge role into the wolf’s attack twirling my blade over my head as I did so catching the timber wolf right in the open mouth with the downward angle of the attack hacking straight through the lower jaw and the right leg. I noticed as the wolf hit the ground it still managed to hold together. So as the roll completed, I sprung from the knees of my hind legs directly at the scrambling timber wolf and cut it in half at its mid-section. The Timber wolf burst.

As I looked up, two more timber wolves had entered the clearing and were eyeing me hungrily, but where did the first wolf go? Just then, what felt like enough kinetic force to knock over a house plowed into my side followed by what felt like gigantic rusty needles burrow into my left shoulder. I screamed in pain. As soon as I hit the ground the wolf proceeded to shake its head violently ripping and tearing at my flesh until a large chunk of my shoulder felt like it gave way to the wolf’s ferocious attack.

This was it. I am going to die. I fucked up, and lost track of all my targets and this was the consequence of that action. All of that training and I could only take down one timber wolf. Either I underestimated them or I overestimated myself or maybe both. It doesn't matter now all that’s left to happen now is for that timber wolf to sink its teeth into my neck and end everything.

“EEEEEK!!!” There was a shrill shriek from somewhere behind me. INKY! “NO!” I yelled at the top of my lungs but it was too late. Faster than I could blink one of the other timber wolves was on top of her and I could hear the sickening crunch as it sunk its teeth into poor Inky’s flesh.

The intruder taken care of the Timber wolf above me refocused on me and went to finish me off as well. I wasn't about to let that happen. Not now! Not here! Not today! Inky will return home safely no matter what the cost!

As the timber wolves head dove down to meet my jugular, a raised foreleg met it halfway there. The timber wolf sunk its teeth in anyways. However, I couldn't feel it. Hell, I couldn't feel anything anymore. Now propped up on one foreleg, I cocked my head back and then slammed it down onto the beast that was trying to eat my leg; crushing it’s skull and making the entire head burst into bits of wood. It’s teeth were still stuck inside me but I didn't care.

I was now back on my hooves with my sword still in hoof as well. Blood trickled from my forehead into my eyes. I was seeing red. The fourth unoccupied timber wolf noticing that I was free now leapt to finish me off. “YOU HUNGRY?!” I bellowed out as the wolf made the jump. “THEN EAT ME DAMN IT!” I forced my free hoof all the way down the wolf’s throat while simultaneously impaling the wolf in the gut. Using the momentum of the upward strike and the leverage I had with my hoof, I brought the wolf all the way around over my head and slammed it into the ground making the entire wolf burst and splinter apart in every direction. Some of the shrapnel even found lodging in my own skin.

In my eyes I saw the entire world aflame and it won’t stop burning until all four of these wolves were dead. Only one left. Time to put out the fire.

At this point the wolf focused on Inky had taken notice to the destruction of its comrades and was now snarling at me, jaws dripping with Inky’s blood with bits of her flesh and muscle tissue hanging off of it as well. “COME AT ME!” The timber wolf took the bait and leapt into the air to tear out my throat. I brought the wolf back down to earth by smashing down on it with the broad side of my sword. The timber wolf hit the ground hard but it did not break. This must be rectified. I spun the sword so that the edge was facing the wolf and proceeded to wail down on the prone timber wolf, chopping it into hundreds of small wooden pieces until I was sure it was down and was going to stay down. I was pretty damn sure now.

With the attackers dealt with my mind still hazy I dropped my sword and ran to Inky’s bleeding form and tried to lift her ignoring the pain in my shoulder and legs. I carried her all the way to her family’s home before my legs finally gave out on me and I fell into the black grip of unconsciousness.

Author's Note:

Chapter three is edited now to work on the new chapter.

Comments ( 5 )

That was a pretty good action scene.
Can't wait to see more of them.

Thank you that's good to hear but it wasn't all me my editor really was a big help with it.

Eeeeeeeeeee more and still loveing it!

3295516 Good to know your still into it!

3291584>>3291928
Well i wouldn't really call myself an editor... just an action junky really haha

Login or register to comment