• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 382 Views, 2 Comments

Escapade - Essbie



A sequel to "All These Lights". Time Turner is connected to a series of events that are an immediate result to his actions before returning to Ponyville that Hearth's Warming Eve.

  • ...
 2
 382

Messages

"What if one of their kind gets in our way?"

"Magistrate didn't say..."

"..."

~~~

News of the sighting spread through the entire town like wildfire; everypony knew about it before noon. Shortly thereafter, news of the sightings in Canterlot and Trottingham was made known, earning a frenzy of conspiracy theories, especially from the Flower Sisters.

The town's "personal" Princess Twilight began a prompt investigation into the sightings herself, assuring the town that a dispatch of royal guards would be arriving that day as a security measure on the noon train. She started by questioning the class that got a good look of the creature. If everything went all right, then she would have gotten the photo Featherweight had taken. Unfortunately, the class had their fair share of impatient idiots – Snips and Snails couldn't wait to see how the picture came out that they took the colt's camera and exposed the film. With that evidence destroyed, all Twilight had to go on was word of mouth. Two foals in particular seemed to know a great deal, but only one of them was really talking.

"Thank you all for your cooperation!" Twilight said after informing Cheerilee of the two foals she wanted to speak with some more. "Now I have a little bit of bad news. Because of everything that's been going on, you're class won't be able to contin-" She couldn't finish. The entire class stood from their desks and started filing out of the front door. "Uh... sorry... about this?" she said with a look of disappointment.

Dinky and Pipsqueak were pulled out of the crowd squeezing through the door. "You two," Cheerilee said. "Princess Twilight would like to ask you more questions."

"Why us?" Dinky asked, sitting at the closest desk with a huff. Her question wasn’t answered until the last student left the schoolhouse. Only she, Pipsqueak, the Princess, Miss Cheerilee, and a sudden tension in the air were in the room. Strange, she hadn't felt such tension since...

~~~

Time Turner lazily watched the clock on the desk tick forward in its endless march. The bell on the front door hadn't rung for the entire day. The hype over the mysterious creature sightings had slowed business in his little shop to a halt – unlike the clocks on the walls that never stopped, if he could help it. He let out a bored yawn and waited a bit longer, but there was still nothing – no money today.

He got up from his backroom desk and stretched his limbs. Well, if that was how it was going to be, he might as well close up early. Customers would be back in droves tomorrow, that much he was certain. Besides, he had heard rumors that the school would be letting the students go home early. It would be a great time to catch up with Dinky on a few things, things involving nightmares.

"Now," he scolded himself. "That's just cruel! Why would I do that to my own daughter?" The state she was in that morning was a sure sign that she didn't want to talk. After she cried herself out,she got up and did her normal routine, only she hardly spoke. Her eyes told him that there was something bothering her – something she needed to think about, maybe. Even as she left she was acting coldly; Ditzy had informed him that she didn't even say goodbye! That wasn't Dinky – she was always a sweet filly no matter what troubled her. This was entirely different, and it was disturbing to him as her father.

The Doctor agreed with himself, it was time to get the jump on whatever was troubling his daughter before it grew into anything. "No, that's not it!" he said to himself. "I'm just going to pick her up from school! Maybe chat with her, but that's it!"

A ringing of a bell came from the front of the store. A customer? Now? Another ring told him that they had left. "I swear if it's one of those blokes that go and complain about my customer service because they weren't served the instant they came in..."

As expected, there was neither hide nor hair of the pony. However, a telegram-sized card was lying on the counter. At a single glance he knew it wasn't an actual telegram – there were no "STOPs" in the message. He started to read it.

Either there was a glitch in the printing or whoever typed this was incompetent when it came to capitals, but it was the subject matter that truly stood out. Manuscript? Him? In Trottingham? He had never attempted to write a story in his life, but… Trottingham. This book this Tome DeWatt was implying was found in an alley in Trottingham, but it couldn’t be the one he woke up in before Hearth’s Warming, could it? If it was then…

A red book with worn edges and loose pages sticking out.

It was his journal, if it was a journal. But why wait until now to remember it? Why was it now that all this was coming to him? “Maybe it never had a purpose until now…”

Another ringing of the bell knocked Time Turner out of his thoughts. It was Cheerilee, looking distressed and panting in the doorway. "Mr. Turner!" she shouted.

"Miss Cheerilee, what is–"

"Please hurry!" she interrupted.

"I was just about to come and pick up–"

"Dinky's having some kind of episode and... please! I can't do anything!"

It was like being hit with a brick. "Is she alone in the schoolhouse?" he yelled.

"No, Twilight Sparkle is with her, but she doesn't know what to do with this and... please hurry!" With that, she rushed back out the door.

~~~

Shining Armor stepped off the platform and into his destination. Various guardsmen hurried past him to the posts he had instructed them to. The Ponyville detachment's head, Lieutenant Hookshot, an Earth pony, was waiting for him by a lamp post adorned with a large poster:

A BLUE ALERT STATUS HAS BEEN
DECLARED FOR THIS TOWN

Citizens are not to enter the Everfree Forest alone. Citizens are not to enter the Everfree Forest in a group of two or more without authorization or Guard escort. Citizens are to report to their place of residence by 8 in the evening and are to stay indoors until sunrise. If a citizen is unable to arrive at their place of residence, they may report to Town Hall or other government or emergency building (i.e., Clinics, Hospitals, Guard Stations). Inter-city travel by hoof must be done in a group of 2 or more with authorization. Inter-city travel by train is allowed in groups of two or more without authorization. Anypony caught in violation of these conditions will be detained until alert status is lifted and may be find up to 750 bits.

If you spot suspicious activity of relevance, report to the nearest Royal Guard.

"Lieutenant Hookshot," the Captain said. "How is everything here? How are the citizens reacting?"

"Sir!" Hookshot saluted. "Everythin' has been in order since the announcement, sir!"

"At ease, Lieutenant. How is the mayor treating this?" The two of them started trotting to the Guard Station.

"By the looks of it, she's tryin' her best to keep the morale up in the townsfolk." He chuckled. "Only problem is, the morale hasn't been goin' down. Now, there's no harm in what she's doin', I jus' don't get the point."

"Like you said Lieutenant," Shining said. "There's no harm, no help. All is well."

"Nnnnot quite, sir."

The Captain stopped in his tracks. "I thought you said everything is in order?"

The guard adjusted his helmet out of nervousness. "Well... yes sir, it is but..."

"Hookshot..."

"Yes sir, it either is or isn't, I know. This is outside the town, sir. More precisely, the Everfree."

The unicorn squinted. "Report."

"Sir!" Hookshot snapped back into the guard attitude. "Accordin' to the town census, one Ponyville citizen does not live in the town, but in the forest. A zebra named Zecora has a hut in the Everfree."

"Why hasn't anyone brought her to the town, then?"

"The hut is her place of residence, and even in Blue Alert status we cannot uproot a citizen from their place of residence accordin' to chapter three, subsection three of the Guard's Code of Conduct."

Shining Armor mentally slapped himself. Of course he, the Captain of Equestria’s Royal Guard, would forget that section of the Code! Even so, he believed he could find a loophole in this newly remembered information. “A resident cannot enter the Everfree alone, right?”

“Yes sir,” Hookshot answered. “Says it right on the sign.”

“So, technically, if she stepped out of her house, she would be in violation?”

Hookshot stared blankly. A mare galloped past the two, but neither paid her any mind. “Well… uh… forgive me, sir, I didn’t think of that. Should we go detain her?”

“No, that would be entrapment,” Shining Armor said. “We’ll just go to her home later and–“

Pardon me! One side! Out of the way!” A stallion attempted to barrel between the two of them, only for Shining to snag him by the mane with his magic.

“That’s a little too close for comfort,” the Captain said, directing his attention to the Lieutenant again. “Who’s this?”

“His name is–“

“Let me go!” The stallion interrupted. “She needs me!”

“–Time Turner, sir,” Hookshot finished. “No record except a missing pony report.”

“Missing? I think I found him.” Shining said, not attempting to hide the irony in his voice.

Are you two serious?! My daughter is in trouble and you two are–“ Time Turner started furiously.

“Calm down, Doc!” The Lieutenant sternly put. “From the top. What kind of trouble is Sparky– Sparkler in?”

“Not her! Dinky!” Time Turner began desperately as Shining dropped his magic grip. “Cheerilee came by and told me she was having some sort of fit! The Princess is there, but she can’t do anything! I’ve got to go…” Time Turner began galloping at full speed to the schoolhouse again. “Sorry for bumping you gents!”

The two guards were left in the street. Several ponies who witnessed the small altercation went back to their business, save for a trio of mares that seemed to start gossiping about it. All of this went unnoticed to Shining Armor as a single thought crossed his mind.

“My sister… can’t do anything?” He said to himself in disbelief. “I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ll be seeing you in headquarters at dusk, Lieutenant; you may return to your post.” With that rushed order, he started following the sprinting colt.

“Sir! What about the issue with the resident in the forest?” Hookshot called after him.

“Later, Lieutenant!” The Captain shouted, barely looking over his shoulder.

~~~

She slammed her hoof into her head again. This was, what, the 90th time? However many times she did it, it never worked. She knew it wouldn’t work every time she did after the fifth. From there on she started yelling at him as she did it.

The old stallion was back, staring at her from behind her teacher’s desk. “Go away!” She yelled. “Wake me up! Wake up!”

“You’re not sleeping, Dinky,” the stallion said. “Please stop that… you’re hurting yourself, child!”

The microcosm that was the schoolhouse never seemed more uninviting than now. The colors had dulled to almost monochrome, and the three other occupants had suddenly been replaced with this unwelcome guest. Out of all the changes, the chalkboard was the largest.

"DROWN"

A choking sensation filled her. "Help!" She heard the cry as it was muffled by a splash.

"It's not really happening child," she heard the stallion say. "You just need to understand..."

"DROWN"

Her fur felt drenched as she scrambled, hitting her horn against the desk. It hurt incredibly as she slammed down, trying to murder the experience. The head was forced down to the bottom.

"A great disturbance has been made..."

"DROWN"

Desperation filled her as she felt she couldn't breath. She leaned her head far back for one more strike.

"...and you cannot escape the wickedness he has brought."

"DROWN IT IN THE STREAM."

Darkness closed in. She felt her go, but it still wasn't over. She could see it like a movie playing endlessly in her mind.

The last bubbles rose to the surface, carrying the lost life with it as they slipped between the assailant's clawed fingers. "Who knew?" A creaky voice said. "Food can talk, after all..." A metallic scrape sounded as she felt her eyes – no, the killer's – stare with hunger at the victim.

The sound she made was one even she didn't know she could make. She let loose and slammed a final time into the desk.

~~~

"Deborah?" Applejack called as she search for the heifer. "What in tarnation are ye doin', wanderin' from the herd like that!"

The Bearer of Honesty had been taking her rounds, inspecting the fencing of Sweet Apple Acres. Every month, either she or Big Macintosh would take a look and see if any part of the fences needed repair. The purpose? Well, it was some hard work that needed doing. Fences were important on a farm, after all! An old fence couldn't hold up Apple Bloom if she were to climb over it, and Celestia knew that filly had something for climbing the fences! Besides, it gave Sweet Apple Acres a good image. No one was going to get their apples from a farm that's falling apart, after all!

It was while she was inspecting by the cow pasture when one of them approached her with concerns. They had heard Deborah cry out for some help a short time ago, and thought she had gotten her hooves stuck in a burrow or something. Nothing the farmer couldn't handle, of course.

"Deborah!" She called again. Her patience was beginning to wear thin. "I ain't mad at ya for leavin' the herd, but ye gotta be more careful!" She was approaching the part of the property the river ran through now. Not too far from the pasture, but even so, this was getting ridiculous. Where was that cow? "Deborah!"

The river came into view. "Heavens t' Betsy! Where is that–"

"Why do you make them so faaaat?" Applejack jumped. He eyes lay on a black form kneeling by the river... a river that was running red. "You don't eat them." The form was speaking in a creaking, menacing voice.

"J-Just who're you?" Applejack challenged. "What in the hay are ye doin' on mah–"

A rumbling sound came from the stranger. It was laughter – he was laughing at her. "Charmin' voice ye got there," he mimicked. "Bet it gets you a lot of offers."

"Ye makin' fun o' mah accent, now?" Applejack could feel the fury boil from her hooves to her hate. "You listen here, mister, ah ain't got a single clue 'bout why yer here or what yer talkin' about, but I get th' hint that we're not gonna be gettin' along, so I suggest ye clear out!"

"I will," the voice answered. "But... can you answer a question?"

"What're ye–"

"Does an hourglass mean anything to you? And please hurry up, I'm quite eager to get home to lunch..."

"I think ye better leave," Applejack put firmly.

The stranger seemed to freeze, and it began to slowly turn his head to face her. His face was one that struck bolts of terror into the farm pony's heart. A long, pale face with a sickening smile – a permanent, fake smile only a mask could give, spattered with red. "Answer me..." His tone was rising with anger.

"Git!" Applejack responded. "I got a heifer t' find, ye darn spook! Masks 're for Nightmare Night!"

"Ha!" He whipped out, shining object. "Answer the question and it won't be you!"

This was getting dangerous. The object he had revealed to her was a knife covered in red. This colt was really trying to give her a scare! At least, that was what she thought until she noticed how it was holding it.

Fingers. Clawed and covered in fur.

"Yer a Diamond Dog, ain't ya?" She took a step forward.

"A what?" The masked dog said.

What? No... it can't be... "You got a refined voice fer yer species!" She said, pointing out the nearly civilized – albeit coarse – tone of the stranger. "Must've taken some practice! So what're y' on? Gettin' revenge for that whuppin' Rarity gave y'all a while back?"

"You waste my time," The "Dog" stood on its two legs – standing at almost twice Applejack's size.

"Where d' you think yer goin'?" Applejack got ready to charge the stranger in black. She could take a Diamond Dog outside of it's territory! Only... from the vibe she got from his response to her accusation...

This wasn't a Diamond Dog. A close cousin, perhaps?

Her target grunted. "You must be joking..." He heaved a red-stained sack over his shoulder as he slid the knife away. "Come on then, do your worst!" He challenged.

The farm pony charged. The stranger whipped around, launching something at her. It was too fast for her to dodge, and slammed into her face with a clunk. It felt as if she had been headbutted by a bull! Applejack skidded as she fell to her side in a grunt of pain.

It seemed like an eternity before she could sit up. The creature was gone. "Damn it!" She cursed, rubbing her sore nose. Her hoof came away from her face; glistening red from what she knew had to be a nose bleed.

Wait... she wiped above her nostrils, though. She wiped her cheek with her clean hoof. More blood! Where did it come from?

She looked back and saw the object the creature had thrown at her. It was a small brown sack with stains of red – red that must have gotten onto her own face. Curiosity overwhelmed her; what was in that sack that made her feel like she took a brick to the kisser? She stepped closer to inspect it, knowing it had to be quick. Deborah was still out there in trouble. She would have to remember to report this to the guard later. Until then, the sack grabbed her attention.

Her took hold of a loose flap, and something clunked out with a familiar sound. In front of her lay a cowbell. A bloody cowbell. A cowbell with the name "Deborah" on it.

She quaked. "Oh no... no please... it... it CAN'T be..." She dared continue, opening the sack fully.

Deborah's eyes stared back at her, yet saw nothing. "No..." That large sack the creature was carrying. "No!"

"Why do you make them so faaaat?"

"I'm quite eager to get home to lunch..."

"NOOOO!"

Author's Note:

Blood! Blood! Gallons of the stuff!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment