• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 288 Views, 2 Comments

Separate Ways - Ninjaa_Kitty



When Equestria is torn in half by itself, what happens to friends who've made different choices? Split Second and Sky Dancer have different ideas on Princess Celestia and the Empire, but never thought they'd join the war.

  • ...
 2
 288

Chapter 1: Opinions

I kicked another cloud out of the sky, preparing Ponyville for our great leader’s visit. She was personally attending the execution of a New Luna Republic rebel, probably to give a speech on the importance of harmony and loyalty at this time of war. The same speech I’d listened to a hundred times over, once at every execution.

I watched as Sky cleared another cloud, Princess Celestia was coming for an execution and I really couldn’t care less, but I’d rather it be somepony elses head instead of mine. So whatever doesn’t get me killed is an okay job to me.

With all the clouds in my section cleared, I looked for Split Second, just so I could make sure he finished his part.

"Yo, Split. How much longer’s this gonna take you?” I was eager to go, but Split Second was lazy. Very lazy, so I couldn’t just leave and trust him not to slack off.

I heard Sky call to me, I turned around and looked back at my part realising I had hardly done anything. “Uhm... Hehe... I don’t know.” I smiled at her weakly. I returned to work picking up the pace a little to try and get her off my back, I didn’t turn around to check if it was working though.

“You need to hurry up.” I pointed out, quite uselessly. “I’m not going to annoy the Princess, you’ve seen what happens those terrorists.” I made sure to emphasise ‘terrorists’, pointing out my sarcasm. “I’m going for a drink. Come meet me when you’re done.” With that, I glided lazily to the ground and set off at a slow trot.

As she trotted away I continued, I tried to get it done as fast of possible, almost timing myself with every cloud I had to clear. One by one my workload seemed to disappear quickly. Hmm, I thought to myself. Those NLR are just idiots. Why have an execution? Why not just kill them there and then. It was a dark thought but nevertheless true.

I walked into the bar, it seemed dark, only because it was so bright outside.

No thanks to Split Second... I thought, half-smiling to myself as I sat down and ordered a cider. Then I noticed a group of Pegasi that I’d never seen before. As a Light-blue earth pony brought my drink over, I asked about them.

“Oh, them. They’ve been here about a week, don’t know what for, but they pay for their rooms and drinks and don’t cause any trouble, so they’re not a problem.” As she finished, a group of stallions started to hoot and cheer. “No, the problems come from the regulars.” she said, walking off to take more orders. I glanced over at the group of strangers one more time, before burying my face in the cup before me.

Finally, the sky was cleared. I dropped to the ground slowly, the wind blowing through my winds cooling me off. I took off quickly in the direction that Sky had went, going towards the bar.

When I lowered the cup, there was one of the new ponies opposite me. That nearly caused me to choke on my drink.

“Uhm... Can I help you?” I asked warily, unused to dealing with new ponies sitting across from me in a bar.

“That depends,” she said, brushing her light blue mane away from her face, “Are you Sky Dancer?” I nodded, feeling uneasy that they knew my name. “And you’re on the weather patrol?” Rather than answer her question, I decided now was the time to fire one of my own.

“Who are you?” I said, trying my hardest to look her in the eye, “What do you want?”

I entered the bar, gasping a little after flying and running. I took in the almost delectable atmosphere the bar had and looked around, searching for Sky Dancer. I looked left to right and back again until I finally saw her, talking to somepony I had not seen around these parts.

Hmm, probably a new-comer. I walked closer to the two before announcing, “Hey, Sky. I’ve finished! Who’s your friend?

I looked up from the pony at Split’s voice.

“She’s not my friend.” The pony opposite me smiled at my words before speaking to Split herself.

“We just met and-” She stood up “-I was just leaving.” As the pony walked back to her table, she passed something to me, making an effort not to let my friend see, before the other newcomers stood and left the bar. Ignoring the note for now, I looked at Split.

“So. Did you actually finish, or are you just saying that?”

I laughed at how she didn’t trust me with work. I stopped laughing and then looked at her again.

“Yes, I actually finished the job. Now let us sit and drink. The execution is starting soon.” I nodded at her and turned to the now free table. “Hmm, our luck. You must have scared them off.” I joked again, winking at Sky.

“How many executions is this then? Thirty Six?” I yawned, taking another gulp of cider and glancing at the note I’d been given.

Meet us in five minutes behind Sugarcube Corner. I yawned again, finishing my drink. “I need to go get ready. See you at the execution?”

I looked at her, shrugging. “Of course you will, I will be near the back. Catch you there.” I nodded and closed my eyes a little, tired. Waiting for time to pass.

I walked out, taking flight as soon as I was out of the door. It only took a few minutes to reach Sugarcube Corner. I looked at the boarded up windows, feeling slightly sad. This place was great for food and the Cakes were lovely ponies, but after Pinkie Pie had mysteriously vanished, they’d been arrested. As I walked into the alley, I realised how stupid this was, meeting a complete stranger in an alleyway behind an empty building.

I opened my eyes, here I was in a bar with not even a drink in my hoof. I stood up, stretching my hind legs feeling relief as the bones cracked. I walked towards the counter and asked the barkeep who was holding the fort, so to speak.

“Would I be able to get some cider, I’ve been working all day and that would work a treat.” He turned to me after cleaning a mug and nodded, “Sure, that’ll be ten bits.” I searched in my satchel which I kept on my back and recovered the bits, dropping them on the counter in front of the barkeep. He then swept them off and used the now clean mug to hold the cider from a tap.

“You came? I didn’t think you actually would.” That voice was the pony from earlier, the pegasus who’d sat at my table. “I was told you were sympathetic to the NLR.” I froze, panicking at the situation.

“Are you going to have me executed?” I asked, fear in my voice.

“No, the opposite, actually. We need somepony on the weather patrol to help us out.” She said casually, which calmed me down a bit. Then, all of a sudden, it clicked.
“You’re a rebel, aren’t you?”

Comments ( 2 )

You shouldn't post stories with font color. People are going to complain and dislike that. Also the enter button is your friend. S-sorry... but... this could have had potential if you didn't use any colors...

My Little Portal, I used to wonder what testing could be...

No. Don't use coloured text. It just hurts peoples eyes trying to read it. USE BLACK. And every time a new character speaks, hit enter twice.

Login or register to comment