• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 1,093 Views, 11 Comments

Blurring the Lines - FrostyDawn



Rainbow Dash questions how far friendship will take her before she loses everything. Maybe even her mind.

  • ...
12
 11
 1,093

Ties that bind

For a short moment, time seemed to have stopped. Rainbow Dash stood in the door way of the library, blind with rage. Her friends were too shocked to do anything. They knew what sort of madness had gotten into Rainbow Dash. What they didn't know was how far that madness would take her. Spike, totally shocked by the entrance, dove into a nearby barrel for hiding.

"I knew it. Plotting against me, huh?" Rainbow growled. "Going to somewhere far away and leave me in the dust?!" She cried.

Only after a short pause did one of them speak up. Applejack mustered all the courage she could, and decided to bite the bullet. "We aint' plotting anything! You're outta your mind! Just look at yourself!" She said, standing tall in a defensive stance over the others.

"Oh sure! Make me look like the bad guy!" She said. "I should've gotten rid of you long ago!" She said, lunging at Applejack, knocking her to the ground. She clamped her hands around AJ's neck, and Applejack tried her best to shake Rainbow Dash off.

Pinkie Pie and Rarity quickly grabbed Rainbow by the shoulders, and flipped her off Applejack, pinning Rainbow Dash onto the floor. "Rainbow, get a hold of yourself! We're your friends!" Rarity cried.

"You're not my friends! You're nothing!" Rainbow shrieked.

"Come one, Dashie! Let us help you!" Pinkie said.

"You can help by getting out of my life!" Rainbow Dash said, shaking and squirming in their grip. Applejack got back on her feet, and pinned Rainbow's flailing legs down.

Fluttershy knelt beside Rainbow Dash, and leaned over her face. "Rainbow Dash..." She said, surprisingly soft.

Rainbow stared into Fluttershy's eyes, and felt a small part of her rage die. No matter how angry she could be, Fluttershy's forgiving eyes and warm smile was something you couldn't stay angry at.

"Do you remember back in Cloudsdale, Rainbow? When we were little girls?" Fluttershy said. Pinkie, Applejack and Rarity were all very confused at Fluttershy's approach, but kept Rainbow's tense and struggling limbs pinned down.

"You helped me gain my cutie mark. When you gained yours. We all have you to thank for that." Fluttershy reminded. Upon mentioning that moment once more, Rainbow Dash's harsh expression softened even further.

"A-and remember when my fake wings burnt up and you saved me?" Rarity added. "You pulled of a Sonic Rainboom to save me! I can't possibly forget that. I probably still owe you."

"The Running of the Leaves!" Applejack said. "You and I, remember? We were both so stubborn and bent on winning. But you and I had fun, right? You have to admit that was good for us."

With each passing memory, Rainbow Dash felt her lost friends reconnecting with past lessons and conquered struggles. She couldn't throw it all away just because of what she saw now, could she? They'd been so kind, so true, so forgiving... and know it was her job to return the favor. Rarity and Pinkie released her arms and Applejack let go of Rainbow's legs. Rainbow Dash sat up, and buried her face in her hands.

"I'm sorry." She sobbed. "Please... don't hate me."

"It's alright, Rainbow Dash. We're here for you." Fluttershy said, hugging Rainbow tightly. A few tears slipped from their eyes.

"It's just good to have our friend back." Rarity said.

"Come on out, Spike. We have a letter to write." Applejack said.

<><><><><><><>

Dear Princess Twilight,

We miss you.

But in your absence, we learned that we all have our share of troubles.

We might feel confused. Or angry. Or even the urge to end it all.

But when the ones you care about are tearing themselves apart, you have to ask yourself. If friendship really is magic, then what is sorrow and pain?

It takes a lot of sadness to turn against your friends. And a lot more courage to stand up to them. Through madness and sanity, friends never back down. Friendship may not be easy. But it's worth fighting for.

-Your five faithful friends...

Comments ( 6 )

Awww so cute. The ending was kind of sudden though.:derpytongue2: Rainbow makes a great psyco.:derpyderp1::facehoof:

2672232 "Cute"... interesting choice of words.

2672353
Not as in cute cute but like Rainbow going psycho over her friends leaving her. Also the reason Aj and rare had for not going out.:heart: hehe:facehoof: yeah not the best choice of words.

This is an :rainbowhuh: interesting concept for a story

beuttiful:applejackunsure:

Yeah, I can't really follow this. There's little insight to Rainbows madness, where is been triggered before, if she had to be in a mental Ward, if she really was trying to kill her friends or delusional. You have her apologize in the end, so apparently she was aware of her actions. I expected her to kill herself out of grief of the person she became. It just seems to... unfinished.

I hope you'll maybe write a prequel to this where Rainbow losses her sanity. Maybe the other girls too. This just feels unfinished, and too many details are missing. No buildup at all, and AJ's and rarity's make out session seemed more a catalyst than an actual cause of Rainbows mental state. Just find it hard to Up-vote this, so I'll leave it be and see what you do with the story later.

Login or register to comment