• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,159 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,159

PreviousChapters Next
The In's and Out's

Everyone stood in the cargo bay in the spot where the Ferrari was once sitting. Jake spoke up over them.

"Alright then, I guess I should explain what we're standing in right now. This is called the cargo bay. It's where we hold the cargo, hence the name. I was surprised they were actually able to fit two automobiles next to each other in here. This isn't the most adequate plane for the job due to its small size compared to some cargo planes we've developed now. Why, there's one plane called the Antonov 225 that has six freakin jet engines. It's incredible I tell you."

Everyone looked around at their surroundings while he continued.

"Anyways, this aircraft is basically used by the military, the Air Force to be exact. The only other organization than them to use this particular aircraft was The United States Forest Service. They used to use it to drop phosphate compounds on burning trees to extinguish them. They wanted to get rid of it after they upgraded to a jetliner. So the company I work for, American Flightline, bought it off of them. She's old, but she gets the job done right."
Celestia stopped looking around and turned to Jake.

"So now I know it's history, but how does it fly without its wings flapping like pegasi wings?"
The captain was in his comfort zone explaining to them his field of expertise.

"Basically, as I said before, the four engines turn the propellers. That movement pulls the plane forward. As it gains speed, the shape of the wing allows wind to flow faster over the top, and slower on the bottom. This creates the element of lift, which can take this thing up to at least forty thousand feet. But I wouldn't dare try going above thirty thousand feet."

Twilight was once again scribbling notes on a pad with a quill held by her magic.

"I wish I could see this aircraft fly again in closer detail. Do you think it's possible Jake?"
The pilot seemed let down at this question and sighed.

"I don't think that's possible. First off, I don't have enough room to take off."
Rainbow Dash interrupted.

"But you landed here. So why couldn't you take off again?"
Jake continued.

"Well it takes around three thousand feet for me to take off again depending on the weight. On soft grass that's extended a little because the rough surface drags down the wheels a bit. I can always land on a shorter distance than I can take off on anyways, and I cut it close landing here. So unless we extended the field, this plane doesn't have enough space. But, as I also said before, it wouldn't matter because I'm out of fuel."

Twilights face lit up with an idea.

"You know, I could perform a duplication spell and just make more fuel for you. All you need is about a cup of the substance and I can make more. How much do you need?"
Jake was ecstatic at hearing this.

"Seriously, you'd do that for me?! That's amazing! Ok, I need roughly...uh...lets see here...nine thousand gallons."
Twilights jaw hit the floor at hearing this.

"Nine thousand gallons?! How big is this thing? Well...considering the circumstances, I'll do what I can, but it's going to take a while to make that much."

"Thank you Twilight, I'll repay you somehow, I promise. For now though, let me show you the cockpit where I fly the plane."
Everyone followed him up the cargo bay towards the front, passing the remaining ammunition boxes. Celestia eyed these with suspicion.

"Jake, what exactly is in these boxes here. They're marked with a military insignia I know that much. So why is something like that onboard?"
Jake was starting to panic, should he tell the truth, or lie. He opted for the first one. Being the Princess, he figured she would find out sooner or later.

"Well, uh, those are boxes of ammunition."

Everyone looked at him with a blank, confused stare.

"Wait, you don't have guns here either, do you?"

They all shook their heads.

"Just what is a gun partner?" Applejack said.

"It's not important right now. All you need to know is that these things are harmless without a gun, which I don't have at my disposal. Anyways, lets see the front shall we?"

Jake let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, and led them up to the cockpit. They entered to find Luna, still sitting there, messing around with a small rectangular device.

"See here sister, this device is ever so intriguing. All I have to do is touch the screen, and it obeys my commands immediately!"
Jake looked surprised.

"I see you found my iPhone. I forgot I even had it in here."
He took it in his left hoof and examined it. It had about seventy percent battery left. He shut it off, not wanting to waste it, and put it in his chest pocket of his uniform which he had changed back into after getting out of the hospital bed. Even though it was considered the norm here, he felt awkward not wearing anything.

"I'll explain this later. Anyways, here's the cockpit. This is where I fly the aircraft. I sit over here."
He walked over to the captain's seat and sat down in it.

"This thing in front of me is called a yoke. I use it to change the plane's altitude and direction. By pulling back, I raise the nose, making the entire plane ascend. By pushing forward, I lower the nose, making it descend. If I turn the yoke left or right, the aircraft banks accordingly."

He then gestured to the four throttles sitting between the two seats.

"These are the throttles. The more I push them forward, the faster the props spin, making the plane go faster. Vice versa if I pull them back. Each throttle controls a separate engine."

Pinkie Pie started pressing random buttons overhead on a panel while sitting in the co-pilot's seat.

"Ooh! What do all these do! These four large red buttons look pretty!"
Jake reached up and tried to stop her.

"No don't! That's the-"
PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH. All four engines were engulfed in a white, frothy smoke.

"-fire suppression...ugh."

"Whoopsie! Sorry about that! I wonder if you could do that with confetti? That'd be so much fun!"

Twilight had had enough.

"Pinkie will you please stop! Sorry about that Jake. I hope that wasn't too important."

"Well it's not unless one of the engines catch fire. But since I can't start them anyways, it's no big deal for now."

Luna looked at the buttons the party pony had been messing around with.

"Uh, what exactly do all these buttons do?"
Jake just stared back and blinked.

"That would take us 'till the sun came up the next morning to explain."
Celestia laughed.

"I would know exactly how long that would take then."

Jake cleared his throat and got up from the seat.

"Well I think this concludes the 'tour'. If I went in depth any further I'd just be wasting your time."
They all exited the cockpit and made their way back to the cargo ramp where the Ferrari was sitting, being examined by some guards.

"Man this thing is awesome. I wonder what my wife would say if I brought this home, huh Crossblade?"

"Yeah it's pretty cool all right."
Both snapped to attention at the arrival of the two rulers. Celestia nodded.

"As you were."
Jake made his way around to the drivers door and got in. He started the Italia again. Once more, the V8 came to life, spitting short bursts of flames out the tailpipe as he revved. He backed it back up the ramp to its original parking spot and shut it off. Jake got out and made his way back down the ramp to regroup with the others. Celestia addressed the captain.

"Well Jake, it's been interesting. This isn't the last you'll hear from us considering we have to get this thing out of here sooner or later. I'll let you come up with how to do that considering you're the most knowledgeable on the subject. Twilight will make the fuel required to power it. It might take awhile considering the amount needed."

"You got that right."

"Yes well, in the mean time, you should stay in Ponyville. Get acquainted with the locals and develop a course of action. The guards will remain posted here except for Crossblade, who stays with me at all times. They'll make sure everything stays unharmed. They're trustworthy I assure you."
Applejack came up to Jake and slapped a hoof on his back.

"He's got a debt ta pay off. So he'll stay with the Apple clan 'till Big Mac is better and the barn is fixed up all nice again."
The Princess nodded in approval.

"Very well. Jake, the Apple family is very honest and kind. You should have no trouble over there. I guess that covers everything. If you have any questions, send me a letter. Twilight's assistant, Spike, will handle it. So farewell for now, and good luck."

Luna and her stepped away from the crowd and waved. Then they boarded the Royal Chariot along with Crossblade, and took off into the north towards Canterlot. Jake looked back at the six behind him.

"Well, I guess I'll be here for a while. I should probably close up the ramp before leaving."

"Yessir, and then we'll head over to the farm an' get you settled in and ready for some hard work."

Jake was walking up the ramp towards the red lever when he stopped and looked up.

"Wait...does this work require heavy lifting and pulling things?"
Applejack looked confused.

"Well yeah. You ain't gonna be doin' any applebuckin'. That's for the pros like me. You're gonna be haulin' wood for the barn an' plowin' the fields. Got a problem with that partner?"
He looked over to the lifted black truck, still strapped down and smirked.

"No...no I won't have ANY problems with that."

PreviousChapters Next