• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,159 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,159

PreviousChapters Next
Inhale

A light breeze whistled across the apple trees, causing the leaves to shiver, and the ripe apples to bob up and down on their branches. Applejack walked out onto the front porch of the house just in time to see her brother coming through the front gate. He didn't look happy, nor sad. He had a face that was deep in concentration, as if his body was walking on autopilot and his brain lost in another dimension of thought.

The farmer walked up to his sister and sat down on the wooden porch swing their cousin Braeburn had made for them last Hearths Warming Eve. He sighed and looked out at their expanse of land.

"Ah need an answer Applejack. Ah need to find a way ta get through this applebuckin' season. Our wagons, wash tubs, an plows are all destroyed."
His sister sat down beside him and thought about their situation.

"Ya know Mac, ah could always go back ta Dodge Junction an' work fer Cherry Jubilee."
He got up and stepped off the porch, turning back to face her.

"No Applejack. We need y'all around here."
She began to get somewhat irritated at him.

"Why do ya think ah can't make mah own decisions?"

"Ah never said ya can't. Ahm jes stoppin' ya from makin' a bad one. It's not necessary."
Applejack stood up and stomped her hoof down in anger.

"Damnit Mac! If it's bits we need, then it's bits ahm gonna get!"

"You are not going to Dodge Junction! That's final!"

The two siblings began to argue back and forth about their farms fate. Jake, who was returning from one of his practices, walked in on the scene just in time to see Applejack curse at Macintosh and storm into the house, slamming the door behind her.

Since Jake has known Mac, he had always viewed him as an independent pony who always knew what was best, and remained strong at the worst of times. But his perception was skewed for the first time as the farmer sat down on the gravel and sobbed. Jake immediately walked over to him and sat down beside him.

"What happened."
Mac, noticing Jake for the first time, dried his eyes and simply shook his head. His sadness turned to anger again as he pointed to the area where the debris from the barn once was before being cleared.

"Look at that! That's what's wrong Jake! Sure, in mah heart and mind ah want ta farm, but unless they're gonna burst out o' me an' produce tools and equipment, they're useless!"

"Listen, Mac. It's not as bad as it lo-"
He was cut off by another shout from the red stallion.

"Not as bad as it looks?! Are y'all kiddin' me right now?! Of corse ya wouldn't understand! Everythin' is all perfect in Jake Weston's world! Nothin' ain't ever gonna happen ta him!"
The pilot turned on the defensive side.

"Hey, lets not forget that I lost everything of mine when I came her too! Everything I once knew was simply snatched up from me in the blink of an eye! So don't go preaching to me about how my life is perfect!"
They both sat in silence for a few seconds as they calmed down. Another gust of wind came across the fields, causing the tree branches to sway again.

"Jes get away from me right now Jake. Ah need time ta think."

"Fine."
With that, he left through the front gate, leaving Macintosh alone in front of his house. He looked over to the ground where the barn once stood and sighed.

"Where is that path y'all were talkin' 'bout, Blueslate?"
-------------------------------------

The Carousel Boutique, just like Trios, was extremely slow considering the day. Rarity sat upstairs in her inspiration room trying to come up with a new line of suits for parties and other social events. It was rare that she worked on stallion's clothing. Most of the time it was dresses and other related wear. She hummed to herself while staring at a collage of fabric that was pinned to a mannequin when the bell on the door rang, signaling the arrival of a customer. She eagerly cantered down the steps and out into the main room to find Jake looking around the place with a stunned look. He turned to look at the fashionista and chuckled.

"This place is amazing. I've never seen a more lavish place of business than this."
She beamed with pride at the complement.

"Why thank you darling! What can I do for you today."

"Well, me and Mac kind of got in a small fight and he told me to basically screw off. So I did and I wound up here...hi."

Rarity, have always being one for gossip, took him to the kitchen in the back and sat him down at the table. Seconds later, a cup of tea was placed in front of him. Rarity sat down across the table and started.

"So, what happened between you and dear Macintosh?"
The pilot took a sip, testing the heat, and spoke.

He explained to Rarity the small argument they had in full detail. When he was done, the unicorn sat her cup down and thought.

"Yes, well. Macintosh values his farm a lot. It isn't unusual that he would overreact to a statement such as the one you made."

"You really think he overreacted?"

"Quite. You were simply trying to make him feel better. However, your choice of words might've been poorly made. I'm think it made him feel as if his life wasn't as important as yours. But I'm sure you don't actually feel that way."

"Of course not. Mac is my friend, and I want to keep it that way."
He took another sip after the tea had cooled off enough.

"What should I do, Rarity?"

"I'm flattered you would come to me for advice like this Jake. I think you should simply go back, apologize, and help him and Applejack find a way to get through the harvest season."

"Thanks. That's what I'll do right now."
He stood up and began to make his way out into the main room of the store. Rarity called out to him as he opened the door.

"And remember darling, they have five other friends who will be at their side if they need help."
She winked at him, and Jake smiled at her enthusiasm.

"Thank you. Ill keep that in mind."
He walked out and stepped into the town square, taking a long inhale of the fresh evening air.

The captain turned to the south and made his way down the street, bound for Sweet Apple Acres.

PreviousChapters Next