• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,160 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,160

PreviousChapters Next
Automotive Art

Jake led the group of eight ponies out of the hospital room and into the lobby. Princess Celestia turned to Jake.

"Luna and I will teleport to the landing site, as I said before, being royalty tends to attract some attention that I don't need at the moment. So we'll be waiting for you there. Twilight will show you how to get there from here."
With that the two Princesses were gone in a flash of golden light. Twilight got to the front of the group.

"Well then, c'mon and follow me. Ill lead the way."
Everyone followed Twilight out of the hospital into the hot afternoon sun. Jake looked around and was amazed at what he saw. The town now known to him as Ponyville, was colorful and full of life. Everywhere he looked ponies were smiling and greeting each other. Shop keepers and vendors were open and bustling with business. Jake turned to Rarity, who was walking next to him.

"Gee, is it this...happy everyday?"
Rarity was amused at this comment.

"Why yes darling, Ponyville is always in an upbeat mood if I do say so myself. Is it not as nice where you come from. Judging by your appearance you seem to be from Manehattan, am I correct?"

"Well I-" Rarity interrupted.

"Or Trottingham? Your mane style practically screams Trottingham."
Jake was rather embarrassed.

"I'm not from here, or Manehattan, or Trottingham."
Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"So where ARE you from then?"

The pilot looked around nervously and thought to himself. "Well I might as well tell them the truth, they probably won't believe me anyways."
Then he answered.

"Well to be honest, I'm not from this uh...world, really. I'm from a place called Earth. I actually wasn't a pony before, I was a species known as a human. And to answer your question Rarity, no, certain places back in my world aren't as nice as this."

Everyone looked back at him with a skeptical look, but then just seemed to shrug it off and keep walking with him.

"Well in that case, this calls for a Super Duper Double Party! A Welcome to Ponyville party AND a Welcome to Equestria party! All wrapped into one giant awesome mega super ultra party!!!" Pinkie kept bouncing circles around him smiling to herself. Jake was astonished at their reactions to his background.

"Wait just a minute. None of you are skeptical or shocked that I'm basically an ALIEN from another planet?! Or do you just not believe me and think that I'm crazy now?"
Applejack turned to face him.

"Nah, we believe y'all sugarcube, but it's just not as big of a deal as ya might think. No offense though. See we all have had some wild n' crazy things happen here in Ponyville, and this don't seem to much crazier than anythin' we've dealt with."
Jake blinked a few times to comprehend what she said.

"Well alright then, I guess I'm just like everypony else here. So I should make the best of it."

The conversation had taken up almost the entire walk. Soon, they had arrived at the edge of the field. The plane was visible about a half mile away, the fuselage gleaming off the hot sun, still angled from the nose being bogged down. They were approached by two white stallions in gold plated armour, Jake assumed these guys were some sort of authority, and after seeing each one wielding a sword in a holster, he thought it'd be wise to stay on their good side. The one on the right addressed them.

"Good day Miss Sparkle. Her Majesty informed me you would be arriving shortly. She is currently waiting at the uh, what was it?"
Jake raised his head up from the back of the small crowd.

"Airplane, it's called an airplane."
The guard looked at Jake.

"Ah yes, thank you, you must be the owner of said airplane." He nodded. "Well anyways, follow me Miss Sparkle. We're keeping this place off limits to civilians right now because we don't want everypony crowding the site and possibly damaging property."
Jake was impressed.

"Wow, thanks. That's kind of you guys."

"Just doing our duties sir, just doing our duties."

The group was escorted by the guard through the grassy field for awhile before arriving at the tail end of the C-130, the cargo ramp still down. The chrome grill and bumper of the Dodge was reflecting the suns rays, and lit up the tarp that was covering the Ferrari. Celestia walked out from the darkness between the two automobiles and made her way down the ramp towards them.

"Well hello again. Luna and I have been waiting inside the plane where it's shaded. She's still up in the front observing all the complex buttons and levers. I have to say, now that I have a closer look at everything, it is quite complicated. I hope you don't mind us being in here right now, it's incredibly hot outside."

"No I don't mind at all, you can't really harm anything in there."
Celestia nodded.

"Thank you. Anyways before you explain the aircraft, please tell me what exactly is this giant black carriage looking thing with wheels, as well as the one sitting next to it under the cover."

For the first time since his arrival, Jake was actually excited to reveal something he had brought along with him. Smiling to himself he walked over to the Ferrari and went behind it to where the main strap was holding the tarp down.

"So I'm assuming you don't have automobiles here in Equestria as well. It's basically a motorized 'carriage' powered by fuel, just like the plane, but made a different way. This particular automobile however, is truly an amazing piece of work."
He was out of sight while he was under the car undoing the straps. Rainbow Dash hovered above the car, keen to get a closer look. Jake saw her and shooed her off.

"No no, go down to the end of the cargo ramp, I think it's best if you see this in the light."

Everyone complied and backed down the ramp to the end, standing in the grass about ten feet away.

Rarity turned back before exiting.

"Well now I'm excited to see what this is."
She left leaving Jake alone in the cargo bay. He got up after unfastening the straps and ripped the tarp off. Sitting before him was the red Italia in all it's glory. Jake was drooling and ogling at the luxury vehicle.

"Trust me, I'm much more excited than you."
He walked around and opened the drivers door. Luckily it was unlocked. He got in and shut the door behind him. Being a pony, it was awkward sitting up at first, but with some quick adjustments, he managed to get seated comfortably. He looked around for a moment to savor the experience of being inside this work of automotive art. It still had that new car smell which he always loved. The keys were still in the ignition for when the owner picked it up on the tarmac upon his arrival. Jake laughed.

"Sorry for using your car buddy, but this is just too much fun to resist."
With that he used his right hoof to turn the key. After a second of turning over, the five hundred and seventy horse power V8 engine roared to life, vibrating the floor of the cargo hold.

Everyone outside, including the guards who were stationed there, turned their heads to see what the noise was. After a few seconds of revving, the car rolled down off the cargo hold and onto the ramp.

Everyone's jaws dropped at the sight of the red piece of machinery sitting before them. Rarity was the first to say something.

"Why, it's magnificent! Such a work of art! I've never seen a carriage so sleek and stylish! I must get a closer look immediately!"
Everyone followed her up to the drivers door. Jake took the opportunity to have a little fun, and revved the engine to the red line a couple times. Everyone backed off from the V8's sudden outburst of sound. Fluttershy cowered behind Applejack with her hooves over her ears. After his field day with the gas pedal, he reluctantly shut it off, not wanting to waste precious fuel. However, Rainbow Dash didn't look to impressed at the auto.

"Pshh, I can probably go faster than that thing!"
Jake stepped out and shut the door.

"Well I'm not too sure about that. From what I've heard, they've gotten this baby up to at least two hundred miles per hour. So just how fast can you go?"
All Rainbow Dash could do was laugh. She fell to the ground rolling while Jake stood there with a look on his face between confusion and amusement. Finally, she caught her breath to begin the mocking.

"Tough luck buddy! I can break the sound barrier. That thing of yours is a slug compared to me! Hahahahahahahaha-"
Jake stood there taking the abuse from the cyan pony, his mouth agape. He finally gathered himself to speak.

"Wha...I...that's impossible! The only thing in my world that can go that fast are the fighter jets we have! How can a living being move so quickly without like, breaking things and whatnot?! Since my arrival, I've come to terms with the fact ponies can fly and use magic. Hell, I'll believe almost anything considering where I am now. But supersonic speed by you? C'mon, you gotta be joking."
Celestia defended Dash in her statement.

"Believe me Jake, it's true. She performed a Sonic Rainboom at my niece, Princess Cadance's, royal wedding with Twilight's brother, Shining Armor."

Jake sighed and came to terms with his loss and looked at the Ferrari.

"Well then, I guess this isn't so fast after all."
Twilight thought for a moment.

"Well you know what Jake, now that I think about it, if this automobile is as fast as you say, it could very well break Equestria's land speed record of one hundred and fifty two miles per hour set by an earth pony named Festinatio Daimōn. He developed a hot air compression rocket that he fitted to the back of a modified carriage. He actually set the record not too far from here in the desert just west of Appleoosa."
Applejack spoke up.

"I remember my cousin Braeburn tellin' me 'bout it. He said it was the loudest darned thang you ever heard when that rocket went off."
For the first time, Fluttershy said something.

"Well Jake, I hope this automobile isn't too loud all the time like it just was. It might scare the animals away. Please keep it quiet...if you don't mind...or...you know."
Jake turned to the yellow pegasus.

"Don't worry I won't. Besides, I can't go anywhere with it anyways. The car, that's what we call them at home by the way, isn't designed to travel off roads. This soft grass and mud would have it bogged down just like the nose of this plane."

Celestia cleared her throat and looked at Jake.

"Well I think we've seen enough for now of your automobile. Can we please do what we came here to do in the first place and see the aircraft in greater detail now?"
Twilight agreed.

"Yes let's get on with it now shall we? Jake, if you don't mind, could you show us around."
The captain was staring at the cars features when he snapped back to reality and acknowledged her.

"Oh! Uh, yes let's do the tour now." He walked up the ramp as everyone followed. He turned back to look at the Ferrari. "It seems we did get a little...distracted."
He laughed and led the way out of the sun and into the shade of the cargo bay.

"Well then, where do I begin?"

PreviousChapters Next