• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,160 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,160

PreviousChapters Next
First Circle

After a couple hours, the party was in full swing. Many guests were simply milling about talking to each other, and a few were still taking photos with the Ferrari. The band had moved on to some lighter pieces, causing the mood to go from hyped up to laid back and casual.

Jake finished his third drink at the table and sighed. He turned to Mac, who had just finished his dance session with Jade, making him tired and in need of a good sit-down.

"You know, Mac, I never knew you could dance like that. Most guys back where I come from would kill to have that talent."
The farmer chuckled and took a swig from his drink.

"Ah never advertised it too much. Mostly 'cause ah don't go out anywhere where ya can dance. This is the first time ah've been to a party in a long time. That night at Trios was the only outing ah've had."
Fleetfoot chimed in from across the table, his slurred voice allowing no doubt that he had had one too many.

"Now I think...I think your *hiccup*...dancing was...was....was hot. Hehehe....hot...the sun is hot. Princess Celestia...controls the *hiccup*...sun. Therefore Princess Celestia is-"
He was cut off by a hoof-in-the-mouth from Soarin.

"Ok there, Fleetfoot, I think you've had enough."
He slid the drink out of his reach and sat back in his chair again. The inebriated Wonderbolt felt around for the glass for a second before giving up and passing out on the table.
Just as Jake was about to comment, Celestia walked over to the table and playfully shook her head at the sight of Fleetfoot.

"Even though I'm flattered, I must say, he really needs to watch his drinking."
Spitfire sat motionless from what the Princess had just said.

"D...did you hear what Fleetfoot was saying, your Highness?"
Celestia laughed and waved it off with a hoof.

"Please, think nothing of it. I've been around long enough to know how things get when you've had one too many. Anyways, I came over here to tell Soarin that it's time for him to say a few words. Good luck."

The Wonderbolt Captain finished off his drink and cleared his throat. He stood up and nodded to the table before he quietly walked up to the stage.

The band hit a soft chord to signal the end of the ballad, and Clef waved him up. As the applause died down, the director turned to the crowd and bowed.

"Thank you! Thank you very much. Now, before we close out tonight with one last piece, the Captain of the Wonderbolts, Soarin, would like to say a few words."
He handed him the mic, and the crowd cheered and applauded at his appearance. He nodded a few times in thanks before they calmed down enough so he could speak.

"Ok. Well, what can I say. Fleetfoot is drunk and I'm on my way there so it looks like everything's covered already."
The ballroom rippled with laughter before he continued.

"We've had a great season this year. Probably one of the best since I've been on the team. I was appointed captain a couple years back by the former captain, Spitfire. She wanted more time for herself and to not have the stress of leading the team anymore, so she passed it on to me knowing how bad I wanted it. I can't thank her enough for that."
He waved to the table, and she waved back with a look of embarrassment on her face. He cleared his throat and continued on.

"The name of the show tomorrow is called The Wonderbolts: A Tribute to the Sun and Moon. Why, you ask? Well, it's not just because our two Leaders represent the celestial bodies, even though that is a big part. It's also about unity. It's about the fact that even though two things may be completely different, the world cannot function without them. It's about pulling together as a team and creating one last show that will leave the audience in awe. If we aren't united, we fall. If we fall, we die. Well, at least in our case we die. You guys probably just get a scrape and a bandaid."
Again, laughter filled the room.

"Unity is what makes the world go 'round day after day. It's what allows a weather team to keep the sky in order, or a chariot team to get where they need to go. It's what lets a massive aircraft soar into the sky without pegasus wings or magic...and it's what lets a stunt team do what they were born to do. So I hope that you all can appreciate the meaning of unity, because without it, we would fall."
There was a long pause before he went on.

"You might wonder: why is Soarin giving a speech like this? Well, I'll tell you. Not only is this our last show of the season, it's our last show forever."
There were gasps and uproars from the crowd, and Soarin had to raise a hoof to get them to be quiet.

"Listen, we've all talked this over many times, and have come to a mutual agreement. We're getting older now and some of these stunts are going to become much more challenging. We've had a good run, and are stepping down and letting a new era of Wonderbolts fill our spots. You'll find out whom next season."
Rainbow Dash fainted at hearing this, and had to be supported by Pinkie-Pie who swooped in from the dessert table just as she was about to hit the floor. Soarin spoke up once more.

"So, I am here to bid all of you a formal farewell. The show tomorrow may be our last...but it will definitely be our best. Good night, everypony."
With that, he stepped off stage with a look of content and quickly made his way into the VIP section. Security had to constantly bar off reporters and other fans whom wanted to ask questions and take pictures.

All the captain did was sit back down and smile. Spitfire walked over and patted him on the shoulder.

"You handled that perfectly, Soarin."

"Thanks. I'm glad this is happening. I love being a stunt flyer, but I want to do more with my life. It's time to let somepony else take the reins. Whaddya think, Fleetfoot?"

"I...I think...toads..."

"Very well put, my friend."
Around the table, there were mixed emotions about his speech. Jake for one, was astonished at the news.

"Wow. I can't believe you're doing this. I mean, I understand why, it's just that its such big news you delivered so suddenly. How come I wasn't informed sooner?"
Spitfire shrugged.

"We hadn't really made a final decision until yesterday. We thought it'd be best to keep it a secret. In today's media-hyped world, you know how rumors can spread like wildfire."
Seline chuckled at the thought.

"Trust me, in my line of work, half my job is keeping those rumors at bay to keep my clients reputation intact. It's worse than you think."
Twilight and the rest, who had been over at some other tables talking with Shining Armor and Cadence, walked over to talk about what they had just heard. Rainbow Dash, whom had awoken from her shock, looked at Soarin and begged him not to quit.

"Please! Nopony else will be as good as you guys! You need to keep flying for Celestias sake!"
He simply shook his head.

"We've made our decision, Dash. Trust me, it'll all work itself out in a couple of months."
Applejack nodded in agreement.

"Well, ah support y'all's choice. It's yer life anyhow. You should be the one that controls it."
They all turned to the stage as Clef got up to the microphone and nodded to the band.

"Alrighty then! I want to thank you all for coming out here tonight and giving us the opportunity to share our music with you. We're going to close it out tonight with one of my personal favorites. This one is dedicated to the Princesses of Equestria. Take it away, boys!"
-------------------------------------
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PF2Uf4T1PPk
-------------------------------------

An intricate clapping rhythm opened the song, followed by a saxophone and flugelhorn solo.

Jake instantly recognized it as The First Circle by Pat Metheney, but wondered how the hell they even knew about it. He made a note to ask Clef later.

Everyone sat around and took in the music as they played. The song went all over, taking the listener on a journey through their own imagination. Celestia and Luna were sitting at the table next to them, and were entranced in its sophistication and sound.

After nine minutes of musical ecstasy, Sticcato led the trumpets in a loud uptempo wail as the songs finale ended, leaving the audience cheering and applauding.

Clef turned and addressed the crowd one last time before exiting.

"I found that one on Jake's music device thing, and loved it so much I had to transpose it for our band. That was called The First Circle. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thank you all, and have a wonderful night. And to the Wonderbolts: good luck with the show tomorrow. I'm sure it will be spectacular."

Clef, followed by his band, exited the stage and out the back door of the ballroom. Jake stood up and let out a yawn.

"Well, this party was great. Seline, thanks for coming with me. It was really nice getting to know you."
She smiled and gave him a hug.

"The feeling is mutual, Jake. I'll be at the show tomorrow, too. You can't get rid of me just yet."
They both laughed as Celestia walked over to them.

"Everypony except for Jake and Rainbow Dash is welcome to stay at the castle tonight."
She turned to the pilot and the pegasus.

"You two are needed at the headquarters for the night since you need to start getting ready early in the morning. A guard will be waiting outside for you all to escort you to your respective rooms. I'll see all of you bright and early tomorrow for breakfast in the dining hall. Goodnight!"
She turned and walked away, joining up with Luna and making their way out as a duo.

Everyone waited as the rest of the guests filed out, leaving just them and a couple of servants who were cleaning up. Jake looked around and sighed.

"Well, we better get to sleep. It's a big day tomorrow."
Twilight chimed in.

"One that definitely won't be forgotten."
Spitfire and Soarin counted to three and lifted Fleetfoot up in unison. They hovered up and nodded to Jake and the rest.

"We'll see you back at headquarters. We need to get him to bed. Night."

"The...word *hiccup*...bed...actually looks like...a...a bed. Hehehehe *hiccup*."
They flew out the door and back to headquarters, wasting no time in the process. Jake and Rainbow Dash said their goodbyes and walked out as well, getting in a pegasus chariot to take them back on the account that Jake simply did not have wings.

Twilight and her friends were shown to their rooms, and settled in for the night around twelve AM.

Luna's moon shone brightly, and the stars danced on the sky causing one of the clearest nights in a long time.

Author's Note:

Song: The First Cirlce originally by Pat Metheney. Video performed by Bob Curnow's LA Big Band.

PreviousChapters Next