• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,160 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,160

PreviousChapters Next
Free Falling

Out at the C-130's landing field, the entire Wonderbolts team was eagerly awaiting their first session with Jake.

After a couple minutes of standing around goofing off, Spitfire came out from the cargo ramp and stood in front of the other team members.

"Alright listen up!"
They all snapped to attention and focused their attention on her.

"Today you'll all be getting to know this machine here."
She pointed back to the aircraft behind her.

"You need to know EXACTLY how this thing works if you're going to fly with it. Understood?"

A mutual nod from the team was her cue to continue.

"Now, I want to introduce you to the stallion who will be flying it. I want you to treat him as one of our own, because from this moment until the end of the show, he is an official Wonderbolt. Please welcome Captain Jake Weston."
They lightly applauded as the pilot stepped down off the cargo ramp and walked over next to Spitfire.

"Thank you, thank you."
Their applause stopped, and they snapped back to attention.

"Ok first off I want to say that I'm honored to be performing with you guys. I haven't had the privilege to see one of your shows yet, but I'm sure is incredible."
Soarin made a shooing motion with his hoof and spoke in a higher girlish voice, batting his eyelashes as he spoke.

"Why thank you sweetie, you're so flattering!"
Spitfire glared at him.

"Soarin, cut it out or I'll buck you so hard you'll always talk like that again! Understood?!"
He snapped back to attention and gulped.

"Y-yes ma'am."

Jake looked at her and she nodded for him to continue.

"Anyways, here's the basics. This machine is called a C-130 Hercules. It's capable of reaching a top speed of roughly three hundred and seventy miles an hour, and can go as high as thirty to forty thousand feet. I've been informed on the finale stunt you want to pull with this thing, and let me tell you that I'm very excited, yet skeptical. Allow me to explain."

He began to slowly pace back and forth as he spoke.

"I'm aware that all of you are capable of breaking the sound barrier, and to fly double the speed of this plane takes little effort. So you'll have to be patient with this big bucket of bolts, because it's not really designed for stunts."
Rapidfire gestured over to the aircraft.

"Can you pull any though?"
Jake looked over at him and stopped pacing.

"I'm sorry?"

"Stunts. Can you pull any stunts in that thing?"
He thought for a moment, then smirked.

"Well, there is one that I know pretty well. You want to see it?"
Everyone except Spitfire, who shook her head and laughed, nodded eagerly.
-------------------------------------

Twilight was sitting with Rarity at the same café where Jake had confronted Speed Demon more than a week ago. The white unicorn took a sip of tea and delicately cleared her throat.

"Well anyways dear, I think that more advertisement for the library will surely bring in more customers. It worked for me and my boutique."
Twilight rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Rarity, we live in a town where everypony knows everypony. They all know where the library is. It's a treehouse for Luna's sake! It's just that some ponies don't care enough about reading to...to..."
She trailed off and stared up into the sky, jaw-dropped.

"Whatever are you looking at darling?"
The fashionista turned around and donned the same facial expression as Twilight.

"Sweet Celetia."

They had a front row seat to Jake's little stunt, and what they saw amazed them. The plane was flying towards them about five hundred feet up constantly doing slow barrel rolls. The Wonderbolts were emitting smoke trails in a circle around him, and they moved in a circle around the plane as it turned, making their smoke streams look like a spiral strand of DNA.

Everyone in town had their eyes locked on the scene as Jake pulled up and went into a ninety degree climb. The Wonderbolts stopped and watched it as it climbed higher and higher. Soarin turned to Rapidfire.

"This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time!"

Inside the cockpit, the speed indicator dropped to ninety, and the stall warning started buzzing. At the last moment, he shut off the fuel valve and the buzzer, and all four props came to a halt, engulfing him in complete silence.

"And here...we...go."
Jake felt weightlessness for a split second as the plane stalled out. The wings shuddered as the aircraft lost it's fight with gravity, and he began falling. In less than six seconds, Jake had the nose pointed down and went into a dive.

Back above town, the Wonderbolts were looking on in awe as he began his dive for the ground. The plane started falling faster and faster, and some of them were getting worried. Whiplash called out to him.

"Pull up! Pull up!"
Spitfire turned to her.

"Stop it Whiplash! I'm sure he know what he's doing...I hope."

The tension began to rise as he got closer and closer to the ground. Finally, with only one thousand feet to go, Jake yanked the yoke back and deployed the spoilers, his head being pressed down from the g-force.

The plane then leveled out in perfect alignment with the runway, and it touched down with the delicacy of a swan landing on water. It rolled to a halt, and the Wonderbolts gathered around the cargo ramp. As it lowered and Jake got out, he was greeted with an applause from the stunt team. Spitfire stepped forward and shook her head.

"You sure know your stuff flyboy. We'll have no trouble at all with this performance."
Jake smiled and shook her hoof.

"Thank you Spitfire."
He looked around to the rest of the team.

"Thank you all for this opportunity. I won't let you down."

For the next hour, Jake showed them around the aircraft, and even took it for another flight with the team all aboard, until Fleetfoot got the idea to start jumping off the back ramp at ten thousand feet trying to perform stunts as he was whipped back from the sudden wind.

As night fell, they said their goodbyes and headed back to Canterlot. But Spitfire stayed back for a second to talk to Jake. They both sat down on the end of the cargo ramp in the middle of the field, and she looked back at the airplane.

"This is quite the machine you have here Jake."

"Thanks. The final stunt of the show is going to be amazing."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. Remember how I said Rainbow Dash could fly with you in the plane?"

"Yeah, is there something wrong with that?"

"No not at all. It's just that I re-choreographed the stunt, and it's even better."
Jake looked at her confused.

"And what does that have to do with Rainbow Dash?"
She chuckled and put her hoof on his shoulder.

"Jake, bring her to the practice on Friday. Her sonic rainboom will be much needed to do this right."

As Jake laid in bed that night, he contemplated on what a sonic rainboom was like. He imagined a sonic boom like the military jets back home, but bigger and louder. And he also assumed there were rainbows involved somewhere down the line. But he stopped thinking and drifted off to sleep, still eager for Friday's practice.

Author's Note:

I apologize for the delay in updates, or if you find that this chapter is too short. Work has been so busy lately and I haven't had time to sit down and think. Ill try to get some longer chapters out this week. Thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next