• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 6,160 Views, 813 Comments

Detour - Jetset0099



Captain Jake Weston led a normal life as a pilot. However, normal is about to be redefined for him as he takes a wrong turn during a routine flight.

  • ...
50
 813
 6,160

PreviousChapters Next
Intact

1 Year Later

Seline exhaled into the crisp winter air, watching the steam drift away. She brought a mug of cider to her lips and took a sip before continuing on with her story.

"Anyways, I'm not saying he's a bad pony, he just isn't a good client to work with. He's rude sometimes to his fans, and he's always late to our meetings and interviews. He's just a young colt who thinks he's a big-shot. That's all."

Jake, somewhat amused by her clients antics, smiled and took a sip from his cider as well. They were sitting out at one of the cafe tables in the town square on their normal lunch breaks in between work.

Seline had moved her headquarters to Ponyville, and worked with the local talent and some clients from Canterlot as well. It didn't pay as well, but for her, the quality of the job was much better.

Jake on the other hand, had a couple of different jobs. He had been payed a great sum for his performance with the Wonderbolts, and was able to buy a small house out on the edge of town by the field, and could see the C-130 from his bedroom window, which had been enchanted by Twilight yet again so that it would not freeze or damage while sitting out in the elements.

Still needing a continuous source of income, he was employed during the harvest season at Sweet Apple Acres, and in the winter, flew short cargo runs to various cities when it was too valuable to be put onto a boxcar and shipped by rail. Because stuff like that didn't happen everyday, he also worked with Dr. Navorno at his shop, creating and repairing wooden furniture, tools, and other various items. He had finally settled in, and couldn't have been happier.

For the two automobiles, they had taken up their own roles in the community. The Ferrari had been donated to the Canterlot Museum of History to display its engineering capabilities and teach ponies more about modern technology. The Dodge stayed with Mac on the farm, and was used for the harvest in the warm seasons and plowing snow in the winter. Jake had no more need for them, so he thought that donating the two to the different causes was the right thing to do.

He blinked a few times to get the lightly falling snow off his brow, and tightened his red scarf a little bit. Even though there was a place to sit inside, they both enjoyed the patio seating because it was quiet. Nothing but the sound of a rare wagon or passerby at that hour.

The Hearths Warming tree had been raised by Macintosh and Jake, and was still awaiting the decorations. It sat about thirty yards away from them, and cast a faint shadow, blocking what little sunlight got through the thick overlay of clouds. He looked up at it and didn't move for quite some time, prompting Seline to give him a concerned look.

"Are you alright, Jake? You seem kind of detached today. Is work going alright? Heck, we've sat here for fifteen minutes and I've only gone on about myself! Any flights lately?"
He broke away from the tree and looked back at her.

"Yeah, one last night to Phillydelphia. Delivered crates of preserved vegetables and herbs. Other than that, nothing."
Despite his response, she still discerned something off about his mood.

"What's the matter? I know something's up. You're not you."
He sighed and finished off his cider before taking a long look at her and speaking.

"It's just kind of all coming back to me. How I instantly left behind everything I knew at the blink of an eye, and wound up here. Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to just wake up, and it was just a long dream. But it's weird, whenever that happens, sometimes I wish I wake up, and sometimes I don't. I'm afraid this is not real, and I'll just go back and live my old life. No matter how much of me loves this place; the residents, the scenery, the happiness, you...there's a small part of me that always is aching for a way back. Sometimes it finds it's way into my mind somehow and I get like this for a while. All in all, I'm fine, and I love being here. I hope you know that."
She took it all in and thought out her words carefully before speaking.

"I'm happy that that's how you feel, and I'm glad to be here with you. Jake, no matter how big of a change you go through in life, you're still the same. Even though you changed the way you look, you're still the same Jake that you've always been. The only thing that's changed is your surroundings and your appearance. So whenever those thoughts slip into your mind, just remember that you're still you. The soul who you've always been is intact."
She looked off to the clock tower through the lightly falling snow and stood up.

"I have to get back to work. I'm already a little late. I'll see you for dinner tonight, right?"
He simply smiled and nodded.

"Just remember what I said, Jake."

"I will."
With that she turned and trotted away down the main road to her office, leaving Jake alone in the town square except for a few passerby here and there. As he was about to stand up, Mac and Applejack came around the corner pulling a cart full of firewood they were distributing amongst the citizens of Ponyville. They stopped when they saw Jake and waved.

"It's been awhile, Jake! Ah thought ya mighta skipped town er somethin'."
The pilot, having his mood lightened from the previous conversation, chuckled and leaned back in his chair.

"No, not me, Mac. I've just been really busy with work. You two out of anypony in this town should understand that."
Applejack smiled and nodded.

"That we do, Jake! Y'all are still gonna visit us on the farm soon, right?"

"Absolutely. Don't think I've forgotten about the bits I need to win back from last months poker game."

"You ain't seein' any of that. Ah guarantee it. Come on over this Saturday night and we'll get even!"
He laughed.

"You're on."
Mac adjusted himself in the harness so it wasn't too tight.

"Jes came from Mr. Mach's shop. He's got a lot of neat stuff in there. Ah made sure ta give him extra firewood as a thanks fer generously rebuilding the barn fer free."

"Yeah that was really nice of him. It was also nice of him to offer me that job. It's fun working there."

"Ahm sure."
Jake stood up, ready to leave, and looked over at Applejack.

"How are your friends doing?"
She shook her head in a "why ask" sort of way.

"Twilights the same as usual. Studyin' all day and writing letters to Celestia. Fluttershy is still takin care of animals, Rarity is in Canterlot right now at some fashion thingy, Pinkie Pie is...well just Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash is busier than ever now that she's a Wonderbolt."

"Well it's good to hear everyponys doing all right. I'm glad everything worked out for Dash in the end. She got what she wanted. She deserved it."
Mac nudged her sister and pointed to their next stop up ahead on the road.

"We best be movin'. Don't wanna keep them waitin' too long."
He looked over at Jake and nodded.

"Take care now."
The two siblings heaved forward and began the trudge up the street to their next stop.

Jake walked out of the cafe patio, into the road, and set off for his house before heading back to the shop. As he walked through the town, he began to think about all the things he had accomplished in this little town in such little time. He truly was content with himself, and harbored no regrets. He felt as though it could only get better from there.

He turned the corner and reached his front door, which was at the end of the road where it cut off and turned into the landing field where it all started almost two years ago. He unlocked the door and stepped inside, eager to get back to work.

Outside, the grey aircraft sat docile in the meadow, as the light flurries of snow danced around it's wings.

Fin

Author's Note:

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read Detour. It's been quite a ride the past 8 months. Thank you for all of your patience for this chapter, as I was uncertain of how to end it. I hope it works with you guys, since you're the people who make the story worth writing. In the future there will possibly be another story, but it wouldn't be in the Detour world, and I don't even have any ideas yet. Thank you again, and have a wonderful day.

PreviousChapters Next