• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 806 Views, 1 Comments

The King's War - Priceless911



When a war breaks out in the Griffin Kingdoms Princess Celestia sends her most trustworthy commander (Commander Chrome Mist), and her most skilled yet indiciplined Soldier (Major Star Bolt). To stop the war befor it gets out of hoof/talon.

  • ...
1
 1
 806

Ch16 At War's End

As the sun rose the next morning, Major Bolt woke to find that Traipse, Snow, and Storm were already awake and wearing their armor, as Traipse looked over at him and spoke, “Morning, better get up and ready. The sooner we leave the sooner we will get you home.”
Major Bolt reached over and picked up his armor as he asked, “Where is Commander Mist and Blade? Did they leave already?”
Traipse shrugged his shoulders, “I dunno… they didn’t come back la…”
Traipse stopped himself as both Blade and Commander Mist came from the tunnel leading to the aquifer. Commander Mist dodged the subject of their late return completely, “Are we ready to go?”
Traipse nodded his head, “Just waiting on you two?”
Commander Mist trotted to his armor as he replied, “Sounds good, I only need to get ready then we can go.”



As Commander Mist put on his armor, Traipse trotted to blade and whispered, “Mind telling me what that was about?”
Blade replied as quietly as she could, “Yes… I do mind.”
Completely disregarding the subject Traipse spoke to the group, “The exit of this tunnel is about three miles from here, so let’s get moving. When we emerge, we will be in Equestria’s borders so we better go fast.”
After saying those words, the group gathered and began making their way through the tunnels. As they continued, Blade stayed by Commander Mist’s side as she traveled in thought. Though Traipse knew there was something on her mind, he just kept quiet thinking it had something to so with her business with Commander Mist.



While traveling, Sergeant Snow was gloating, “I do hope Princess Celestia will reward us for our service in the Griffin Kingdoms… I would hate to think we risked our lives for nothing.”
Commander Mist sighed, “We risked our lives for the kingdom… that’s reward enough.”
Snow sighed in disappointment, “Of course sir… how could I forget.”
Storm spoke next, “Well either way, I’ll see to it that you are recognized in some way sergeant. Being one of four survivors in a war is still an honor to be known for.”
Sergeant Snow smiled, “And that’s all I ask sir… just something to allow myself to be known in this army.”



As the soldiers spoke, they saw a Vent hole used for light in the ceiling of the tunnel, similar to the ones in both their camp chamber and the aquifer chamber.
As they made their way past it, Blade finally broke her silence and asked, “Um… Tri? Can I ask you something?”
Traipse replied, “Sure… what’s up?”
She lowered her head in anxiety as she spoke, “Well… I was wondering, what you would say if I to…”
All of a sudden, Blade stopped trotting and stood still for a few seconds. When Traipse looked back at her, he could see an expression of worry on her face as she stood still. “Blade?”
Blade raised her head up and closed her eyes as Commander Mist stopped, “Serenade? Are you o…”
“Shhh…”
Commander Mist looked at Traipse after being shushed by him then Traipse asked, “Blade? What do you see?”



Feeling a breeze traveling through the tunnel from behind, she hesitated for a few seconds then replied in haste, “They’re coming! They are in the tunnels! Behind us!”
Major Bolt asked, “How do you know tha…”
Traipse replied, “Trust me… she knows. Let’s hurry! If we make it across the border before they get to us we will be safe!”
As the rest of the group began moving again, Major Bolt continued looking behind him before a griffin scout flew through the vent hole in the ceiling and landed between Major Bolt and the rest of the group. After realizing what happened, Major Bolt jumped back to make some distance between him and his attacker before equipping his shield to his hoof, “Great… not this again.”
Sergeant Major Storm called back, “Major, Hold on for a se…”
“I’m Fine! Go on Ahead! I’ll catch up!”



The confident griffin smirked at his target as he reached for the massive long sword that stretched across his back, “Oh… I beg to differ… you're mine pony!”
Before the rest of the group could turn around to assist, the griffin charged forward with the long sword and swung it at the young Pegasus. Major Bolt watched the griffin’s movements then thought to himself, “With that swords weight and position… he can only attack diagonally from the right.”
Major Bolt realized that he was doing exactly what Traipse was telling him when he faced the griffin general in Kestrel, so he quickly got into the proper stance and waited until his attacker was close enough. As the griffin got close, Major Bolt ducked down and rolled while the massive blade flew over him. Then as he continued his roll back onto his hooves, Major Bolt began his charge. However, the griffin expected the maneuver, so he brought the blade back the other way and tried to strike the closing pony before he could reach an attacking distance.



Major Bolt quickly brought up his shield to block the griffin’s counter attack, but the griffin’s strength combined with the weight of the long sword proved too much for him. The blade slammed against Major Bolts shield and pushed him into the wall of the tunnel, pinning him in place as the griffin smiled, “You ponies have been an infestation on our home…. It’s high time I exterminate these pests.”
With his body being held against the tunnel’s wall, Major Bolt smiled and adjusted the position of his shield against the blade as he smiled, “Pests?... Infestation?... call us what you want… but remember one thing. We are Equestrians first… and that makes us a much bigger threat, than any rat or cockroach.”
With his shield protecting him from the blade’s edge, Major Bolt pushed the sword back giving him just enough room to continue his charge forward. With the griffin’s long sword grinding against the face of his shield, Major Bolt finished his charge my pushing the long sword to the side and digging the blade of his shield into the griffin’s chest.



After the final blow was made, Major Bolt heard calling behind him, “There they are! Get them! Kill the ponies!!!”
In his final act of bravery, the dying griffin grabbed Major Bolt’s shield and spoke through his pain, “It’s over pony… you and your group are… f-finished.”
Major Bolt decided to ditch his shield so his unhooked it from his hoof and replied; “It’s not over till I stop breathing”
Then Major Bolt jumped over the dying griffin and rejoined the group as they continued galloping through the tunnel towards Equestria. As they continued, Traipse Smiled at Major Bolt, “Good work Bolt. Perfect dodge, stance, and counter. Not quite the improve as before… but you did well. You’ll be a soldier yet!”
Commander Mist replied, “Less talk, more gallop! We aren’t out of this yet!”



As the group continued running through the tunnels, the sound of the griffin army got louder and louder as they closed in behind them. Finally, the pony group emerged from the tunnels and found themselves on the edge of a large cliff. Commander Mist looked down and sighed, “Well… we won’t survive this jump. We may have to hold our ground here. Blade, Storm, Bolt, you three go and get help. The rest of us will hold our position till you return.”
Major Bolt turned around and readied himself for an attack, “Sorry sir…, but no! I’m not leaving my fellow soldiers behind… no matter how long my service will be from here.”
“Now isn’t the time to show chivalry, you’re unarmed, and outmatched. Go and get help like I said!”
Major Bolt ignored the order, as the Griffin forces emerged from the tunnel.



One griffin smiled, “Well… looks like this is the end of the lone ponies.”
Blade stepped forward, “This is equestrian Soil! If you spill our blood here than you’re declaring war on Equestria!”
The griffin laughed then looked at one of his soldiers, “Say sergeant? When we caught those ponies… where did they die?”
The griffin soldier replied, “Right outside of Gryphus.”
The griffin leader turned to another soldier, “How about you corporal? Did the ponies ever make it out of the Griffin Kingdoms?”
The soldier replied, “No sir… not even close.”
The griffin soldiers laughed as the pony group sneered at their enemy.



The leading griffin raised his sword in the air and called out, “Enough of this! It’s time we finish this game. ALL GRIFFIN!!! ATTAC… um… oh…”
The entire griffin formation froze in place and continued staring in fear as the pony group turned around to see both princess Celestia and Princess Luna hovering in the air over a massive pony army that filled the ground below the cliff. At the front of the army, Commander Dust called out, “ALL SOLDIERS!!! PREPARE FOR BATTLE!!!”
With that call, the first rank of pike ponies pointed their spears forwards, as all the archers in the second rank drew their bows and waited for the command to attack.
The griffin leader slowly lowered his sword in fear as both princesses landed next to Commander Mist and Major Bolt; Then Princess Celestia spoke, “If the griffin king, wishes to declare war on Equestria… then he better be prepared to face us all now.”
Princess Luna added with a confident smile, “Leave now…, or you will see the true power that Equestria holds! Oh… and forgive my manners… Welcome to Equestria.”



All the griffin soldiers quickly dropped their weapons and retreated into the tunnels as the pony army started to cheer in laughter at the cowering griffin soldiers. Commander Mist then turned and bowed to princess Celestia as he spoke, “Your majesty, I’m happy to report that we have successfully ended the war in the Griffin Kingdoms.”
Princess Celestia smiled and nodded her head, “And I’m happy to see you made it back safe and sound, even though it pains me to know that you are the only survivors.”
Princess Celestia and Princess Luna looked at blade and Traipse as Traipse smiled, “Hello princesses… it’s been a while hasn’t it?”
Princess Luna nodded her head, “I thank you for your protection Traipse… name your payment… and it will be your reward.”
Traipse shook his head, “This one is on me. What kind of pony would I be to charge you for this?”



As Luna continued her conversation with Traipse, Princess Celestia looked at Commander Mist, “So commander… may I ask how Major Bolt faired in his first war?”
Major Bolt lowered his head in disappointment as Commander Mist replied, “I’ve actually been meaning to talk to you about that. You see, after closely evaluating his actions in the Griffin Kingdoms, as well as his attitude towards me, the king, and his superiors, not to mention his response to following orders… I have come to a decision.”
Feeling like he was in serious trouble, Major Bolt kept quiet as Commander Mist replied, “I ask permission that he will be promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and placed as my second in command. He has no doubt proved himself, by taking command in my absence, placing the needs of his fellow soldiers before his own, and showing great skill and bravery in times of extreme stress. I have no doubt that he will be a good example of what all Equestrian soldiers should be.”



Major Bolt was shocked, “Commander… I…”
Princess Celestia smiled, “Granted… but I won’t only just promote him… Sergeant Snow… Sergeant Major Storm… upon our return to Canterlot, You will be given the title of Cadet. In addition, you will be trained to become officers of the Equestrian royal guards. I would hope that the soldiers you lead in the near future will follow your examples of loyalty, and strength.”
The two ponies smiled with pride as, Commander Dust approached the group, “COMMANDER!!! Thank Celestia you're back! I’ve been going insane trying to keep up with all the workings of this stupid job! I tell ya, after this I’m retiring from this crap! I can’t handle this any… um… who is that?”
Blade leaned against Commander Mist and replied, “Um… honey? Can you introduce me to your friends?”



Commander Mist sighed knowing what was about to come next, “Major Dust, Meet Mrs. Serenade Mist… my wife.”
All of a sudden all the ponies talking amongst each other froze in shock. Then the silence was broken by both Major Bolt and Traipse as they both cheered, “THAT’S MY COMMANDER RIGHT THERE!”
“WAY TO GO BLADE!”
Commander dust smiled, “It’s about time! I’ve needed a mare friend to tell all your embarrassing battle stories too.”
Commander Mist sighed, “Oh great here we go…”
From there, the massive army of Equestrian soldiers set up a large camp and began celebrating the return of the four survivors of the great Griffin Civil War.



Later after the group of soldiers got a chance to rest, Traipse sat on the top of a hill watching the ponies below celebrate as Commander Mist approached him, “Hey Tri? It’s alright if I call you that right?”
Traipse smiled, “Only my friends call me that… so… yea, it’s alright.”
Commander Mist sat next to him and looked below as he spoke, “crazy turn of events right? This has definitely been some war.”
Traipse nodded his head, “Yea… it has… can I ask you something?”
“Hm?”
“Well, it’s about Bolt… Do you think he will be fine? As a soldier I mean?”
Commander Mist smiled and looked down at Colonel Bolt who was laughing with Blade, “Yea… I think your son will be just fine.”
Traipse looked nervous as Commander Mist continued, “Blade told me the whole story on him… so you and the reaper… It would seem we do have something in common after all… we tend to attract dangerous mares.”



Traipse and Commander Mist laughed a little as Traipse replied, “Well nevertheless, with you guiding him… I think he will be fine. But can you do me one favor?”
Commander Mist looked at Traipse in curiosity as he continued, “Never tell him about his parents… I'd rather he die never knowing the truth… then to live knowing our sins.”
Commander Mist sighed, “Well… I'd hate to keep it from him… but if that’s what you want, then I won’t tell him.”
Traipse smiled and put his hoof on Commander Mist’s shoulder as he replied, “Thanks… for everything.”
“It’s fine…”
“No… I mean the Crystal Empire too. If you and the princesses never took down the king. I would have never started The Cutters with The Reaper. And… I also wouldn’t have fallen in love with her, so… thanks.”
Commander Mist Smiled as he started back down the hill. “This mushy stuff isn’t like you at all… it really creeping me out. Now why don’t we brush it all away and join You are part of the surviving force after all.”
Traipse waved his hoof forward, “You go ahead commander. I have something to do first.”
“Suits yourself.”



As Commander Mist trotted down the hill to join the celebration below, Traipse sat up and sighed, “How long are you going to keep yourself hidden?”
Just then, a cloaked mare stepped out of the shadows behind him and spoke, “You’re as sharp as ever Tri.”
Traipse smiled and replied, “I know you better then anypony else ever could, it would be an insult if I couldn’t sense you when your nearby.”
The Reaper trotted next to Traipse and sat down watching the celebration below, “So… what did you think of him?”
“He’s stubborn, Self-centered, and reckless… yep that’s my boy alright, just like his father.”
The reaper leaned against him as she replied, “I’m glad… I was worried he would get himself hurt out there… or worse. Find out who he is…”
Traipse shook his head, “No… he knows who he is… He is Colonel Bolt, Royal guard and probably the future of prince of this kingdom… that is, if he can ever pull his head out of his hind quarters and open his eyes. He doesn’t even realize that Princess Luna likes him too.”



The Reaper kissed Traipse and replied, “You’re just like him… Clueless, but sweet. If you ever decide to stop this life… you know where I’ll be.”
Traipse smiled as she started to trot away, “Somewhere hidden in his shadow… right?”
The reaper smiled, “I love you Traipse… and I would like to come back to the Cutters… but, I gave him up so he can be safe, so I have to see this through.”
Before the reaper vanished into the shadows, Colonel Bolt looked up at the hill and saw a glimpse of his mother. He paused for a split second, knowing that he had seen this figure before, but as she vanished over the horizon without any reaction from Traipse, he decided it must have been his imagination and continued the conversations he was having with his companions.



Later that night as the moon rose to the center of the sky, and the rest of the ponies started to go to sleep. Traipse and Blade gathered their things and started to leave. However, just as they got to the edge of the camp, Commander Mist stood there waiting for them, “leaving so soon?”
Traipse replied, “Time doesn’t sleep for mercenaries… we need to find our next job before we run out of supplies.”
Commander Mist nodded his head, “And… will you be leaving too Serenade?”
Blade nodded her head, “I’m sorry Chrome. But I am a merce…”
“It’s ok Serenade… I won’t stop you; but if you ever need a place to go. You know where my manor stands… and I will be there for you. I wouldn’t call myself a worthy husband if I wasn’t.”
Blade put her hoof on his cheek and kissed him then she replied, “If you cheat on me… I’ll kill you.”
Commander Mist laughed at her as he replied, “I wouldn’t dream of it. Now go out and be free, Serenade Blade.”
Traipse put his hoof out and hoof bumped Commander Mist, “Take care Commander… and next time I’ll be expecting payment.”
Commander Mist nodded his head as the two mercenaries trotted away from the camp.



Just as The Cutters were going over the horizon, Blade stopped and looked back at her husband who was still watching them. Then she sighed and mumbled to herself, “I’ll see you soon… my handsome prince.”
Then she turned and vanished over the horizon. After they were out of sight, Commander Mist sighed then shook his head, “They went back into the Griffin Kingdoms… well I suppose even The Cutters have to take risks.”
Commander Mist then turned around and stopped short when he saw Colonel Bolt approach, “Did they leave sir? The Cutters I mean.”
“Yep there gone… did you need something from me?”
Colonel Bolt replied, “I just wanted to borrow a few soldiers tomorrow for a mission I have in mind. Is it ok?”



Without even hearing the mission Commander Mist replied, “Granted… you can take Snow and ten others.”
“Granted? You don’t even know what I’m doing?”
Commander Mist smiled, “Well, since you aren’t my son, and you’re a colonel now… I trust your judgment. Though I’ll expect a report about it once you return.”
Colonel bolt smiled, “Understood sir… By the way… You and Blade were married last night… right?”
Commander Mist replied, “Yea… so…”
“Does that mean you and her were… you know… together that night?”
Commander Mist dodged the question and trotted past colonel bolt, “Get your mind out of the gutter.”
“So… that’s a yes?”
“Good night Bolt.”
With that said Major Bolt smiled as the two went to their tents and went to sleep.



The next morning at about noon, Colonel Bolt and a few soldiers were trotting through the slums of Trottingham until they reached a few griffin refugees who were packing their bags to return to the now peaceful Griffin Kingdoms. Colonel Bolt Stopped and spoke, “Your name miss? Is it Gill?”
The griffin stopped what she was doing and replied, “Yes… who wants to know.”
Colonel bolt pulled an envelope from his pocket and gave it to her, then without another word. He and the rest of his soldiers left the griffin to open her letter. Inside was the very picture that Colonel Gill had given him, with a small note from Colonel Bolt, and on that note, there were only three words…



“He died fighting.”







Epilogue:



As the moon shined brighter than it had ever shined before, Storm flew through the air as fast as he could until he reached the large mansion. After landing, he sprinted to the doors and bashed on them with great haste, “Commander! Commander! We have an emergency! Hurry and let me in!”
As the worried Pegasus kept bashing on the massive doors, the Mist family butler approached the door to answer the loud knocking. However as soon as he unlocked the doors, They flew open throwing the butler to the floor as Storm rushed into the main lobby screaming at the top of his lungs, “Commander Mist! Are you here? We have a situation at the castle!”
“M-may I help you sir?”
Storm quickly looked at the butler and asked, “Quickly I need to speak with Commander Mist. We have an emergency that he needs to see to.”
“What emergency?”
Storm looked to the master staircase to see Blade trotting down with an unamused look on her face.



Feeling embarrassed Storm Spoke, “Oh… Lady Mist? I apologies if I’m interrupting anything but we have a situation at the castle that Commander Mist needs to see to personally.”
“Any situation that arises at night will be dealt with by Commander Bolt… he is Princess Luna’s personal commander after all.”
“Well yea but?...”
“What kind of situation is it Captain?”
Captain Storm quickly turned around to see Commander Mist trotting out of his study on the bottom floor with a young unicorn hiding behind him, “Commander… thank Celestia you’re here. It’s Commander Bolt… he’s forming a coup.”
The young unicorn looked at his father and asked, “A coup? Is that some kind of bird daddy?”
Commander Mist looked down at the unicorn and replied, “No… a coup-de-tat. It means he is trying to take over the kingdom by force… but obviously, it’s a Mistake. Your uncle bolt cares too much about Princess Luna to betray her.”
Strom continued, “Actually sir… Princess Luna is leading him…”



With a hidden look of worry on his face, Commander Mist continued looking at Storm as he spoke, “Serenade? I believe it’s well past Chrome’s bedtime. Can you tuck him in while I have a word with the captain here?”
Blade stepped to the side of the stare case as she spoke, “You heard him Chrome… time for bed.”
The unicorn hugged his father before galloping up the stairs, “Coming mama.”
When his family was out of sight, Commander Mist approached Captain Storm and spoke with a calm but serious tone, “What’s going on at the castle?”
Storm tried all he could to explain, “I… I don’t know… one minute it was a normal night then there was a tornado on the balcony, and… and Princess Luna transformed into a whole other pony… it… it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. She started speaking nonsense about nopony loving her and her nights being useless. Finally she asked Commander Bolt to lead her army to her ultimate goal.”
Commander Mist listened carefully, “Which is?...”
Storm replied in worry, “Eternal night… she wants to bring eternal night… I tried to talk some since into them but they refused to listen. Commander Bolt said he would help her any way he could and… I still can’t believe he would agree to such blasphemy.”



Commander Mist trotted to a shelf and looked at a photo of the group taken at the end of the griffin civil war, almost four years ago, “Oh sparky… what have you gotten yourself into this time?”
“Commander? What shall we do? At the rate this is going, Equestria will soon be engulfed in war between the royal sisters.”
Commander Mist asked while looking at the picture, “Does Princess Celestia know about this yet?”
Storm replied, “I sent a messenger to tell her. She is still on Manehatten on business.”
Commander Mist replied, “Good… and if a war does start… what will you do?”
Storm replied, “Well… I’ll fight by your side sir… what else?”
Commander Mist placed the picture on the shelf and sighed, “Storm… I want you to join Commander Bolt…”
“What? But sir, I would never think to betray princess Celestia.”



Commander Mist replied, “No… I want you to look after Commander Bolt in this upcoming war. I made a promise to watch over him, but I won’t leave Princess Celestia’s side. So I want you to watch over him in my place.”
“You mean like a spy?”
“No… I mean like a fellow soldier. I want you to cut all ties with me and fight alongside him.”
Captain Storm felt disappointed, “But… what if we meet in combat? i… I can’t kill you sir.”
Commander Mist replied “Then let’s just pray that doesn’t happen… but will you do this for me? I made a promise to a good friend that I would watch over him… and I’m a stallion of my word.”
Storm sighed as he replied, “Understood commander… I’ll join him. I wish you nothing but luck in the future sir…”
As Storm started trotting towards the door, he stopped before leaving, “Oh… I almost forgot. Princess Luna also renamed herself to add to her change in appearance. She now calls herself, Nightmare Moon.”

Comments ( 1 )

dun dun daaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login or register to comment