• Published 20th Sep 2013
  • 5,937 Views, 396 Comments

Regression - chief maximus



A traveling gem merchant and his son enter Equestria to sell their wares, only to find the cities they pass through are deserted, with only a few skittish residents who refuse to talk. Something has gone wrong in the pony kingdom. But what?

  • ...
20
 396
 5,937

Memories


Argos


Eros and Apple Bloom ducked down among the chests and barrels inside the wagon. Argos shouldered his weapon, making sure the creatures at the end of the road could see it. If they could see, that is. In the blink of an eye, the beasts split up, darting into the woods on the side of the road.

Argos could hear the shrubs and trees rustling in the forest as he swung his weapon from one side to the other. I've got to make this shot count, he thought, readying the hammer. Before he had time to pick a target, he found his cart surrounded on all sides by the creatures, their leader standing straight ahead of him.

He wasn't sure who they were, or what they wanted, but Argos was sure that they wouldn't be taking it from him. He raised Bessie and trained her on the target in front of him. He squeezed the trigger, but found it jammed. He squeezed as hard as his talons would allow, but the metal piece wouldn't budge. He glanced at the mechanism and found it bound in a purple magical aura, keeping it from firing. When he looked back toward his target, it was already upon him. A scaled claw grabbed the blunderbuss and twisted it away, but not before cracking Argos in the head with the stock of the weapon.

Watching his father fall from the cart, Eros stood up. He unsheathed Titan and held it in front of him, the weapon shaking as though it were in an earthquake. The hooded leader of the group approached him, the other creatures holding back. Eros pointed his sword at it as it stepped ever closer. The leader was only a sword length away by the time he'd turned to face Eros. His weapon seemed to weigh a thousand pounds as it sagged in his arms. The hooded creature looked down at the tip of the blade now poking him in the chest. It swatted the sword away as though it were a fly. The weapon flew out of Eros' nervous talons and stuck into the road beside the cart. He stumbled backward against the edge of the wagon, Apple Bloom still cowering under a blanket near his feet.

The creature raised a glowing purple claw and Eros found himself paralyzed. He floated out of the cart and onto the ground near his unconscious father.

Eros' heart was set to racing as he watched the hooded figure reach into the cart and cast away the blanket Apple Bloom had been hiding under. Her scream filled his ears as he tried to shout, but his cries caught in his throat. He was helpless, just as he had been in his dream.

"Spike?" Eros heard Apple Bloom's voice, only this time, it wasn't a cry of terror. It sounded like... relief. In a flash, the figure tore back his hood, revealing the scaled face of a young dragon.

"Apple Bloom?" The dragon seemed even more surprised than she had been. Eros watched in stunned silence as she threw her forelegs around Spike in a hug tighter than she'd given in quite a while. They held each other for a while before Apple Bloom remembered she wasn't traveling alone.

"Spike, this is Eros and... what th' heck happened to his Pa?" she asked in shock, seeing him on the ground.

"Sorry, he had a gun!" Spike said sheepishly. He turned and pulled Eros' sword out of the ground, handing it back to him. "Sorry about the sword."

Eros finally found his tongue after he tucked Titan away. "Forget the sword, what about my Dad!" he shouted.

Spike nodded. "Yeah, sorry about that, too. It's hard to talk when I'm wearing the hood. I would have just asked him to drop the gun, but before I could, he tried to shoot me," he said flatly, kneeling beside Argos and resting a glowing purple claw over his forehead. Within seconds, Argos' eyes fluttered open. He sprang upright, looking frantically for his weapon before Eros and Apple Bloom assured him it would not be needed.

"Apologies about the whack, but you did try to shoot me," Spike said, standing. He turned to Apple Bloom, unable to help his smile. "I can't believe it's you! I saw lights coming from Ponyville, but I never would have guessed it was somepony I'd know!"

Apple Bloom looked ready to cry. The smile on her face not matching the tears forming in her eyes. "Does this mean there are other ponies besides me?" she asked.

"Yeah. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are gonna lose it when they see you," Spike replied. Her eyes lit up like a gas lamp.

"They're in Canterlot too?" she gasped. Spike nodded.

"Well what are we waitin' for? Let's go!" she said excitedly, hopping back in her place on the wagon.

Spike helped Argos off the ground and handed him his blunderbuss. "So, you're from Canterlot?" Argos asked, rubbing his cheek.

"Yeah, we're holed up in the inner keep of the palace." Spike motioned to his party members. "Let's head back."

The group walked together down the road to Canterlot, Spike and Argos talking while Eros and Apple Bloom sat in the back of the wagon.

"So, a merchant eh? You must be pretty hard up for money to make the trip out here," Spike commented as they went.

"I've been making this route for years. First time I've ever seen this, however."

Spike nodded. "Yeah, we're working on that. So what do you sell?"

"Gems form the Iron Mountains."

Spike stopped in the middle of the road, bringing their convoy to a halt. "Did you say you sold gems?"

"I did indeed," Argos replied, reaching behind him for a small sack of samples. "But I don't usually sell to dragons that attack me."

Spike looked at him with regret in his eyes. "Look, I'm sorry I hit ya, but I haven't had a gem in days! We've got gold back at the palace, I can pay you then, just let me have one!" Argos chuckled. It looked like he should have just offered him a gem the first time and all this ugliness could have been avoided.

Argos paused, eyes examining the dragon just to make him sweat a bit. "I'll give you half now, and the rest later. How's that?" He spilled a few brightly colored gems out of his bag and into Spike's claws. In an instant of crunches and flashing fangs, the gems were gone.

"Oh, that was so good," Spike said mournfully. "You've got more of those, right?"

Argos smiled. "The cart is filled with them."


Twilight


The scratching sounds of quill on parchment had been erratic at best. Many books, papers, empty ink wells, and broken quills littered the area around the old, candle wax-stained desk. Twilight sat back in her chair, her wings fluttering in frustration. Her every effort seemed to hit a wall. Every experiment was inconclusive, every test yielded nothing she could use. The grazers grew more numerous every day, while the numbers of survivors in her camp dropped monthly. It was a sad cycle.

One day, they'd find a pony of theirs outside the wall, grazing on the grass as though they didn't have a care in the world. It was easy when the pony that had succumbed was a loner. Nopony would really miss them, hurtful as it seemed. It was when a pony with a few friends left, that she had to station extra guards around the exit. Their friends would beg them not to go, to try and fight the cravings, but it was futile in every instance. In days—weeks, in some rare cases—the pony would be gone, out to graze on the plants growing wildly with nopony to tend them or cull their growth. Twilight would then have to keep a close eye on their friends and family in order to keep them from becoming grazers as well.

It was a tough job. Besides magical intervention, the only other real way to keep ponies from becoming grazers was to secure them, and the implications of holding ponies against their will was not something Twilight took lightly.

She sighed, rubbing her eyes and relaxing in her seat, thinking back to happier times. The times when she had just earned her crown and wings, the times when her brother and her foalsitter, her mentor and her sister had been there to guide her. They were long gone now. It pained her to think of her mother, her father, her brother Shining and her sister-in-law Cadence. No one knew what happened to the Crystal Empire after the spread of the grazing.

Maybe Cadence and Shining found a way to make the empire disappear for another thousand years.

As Twilight remembered, Celestia's voice came through clearly. She recalled the night the princess had told her of the great change that was coming. A change that would sweep the world.

Twilight found Celestia in her observatory that evening. It was unusual for the princess of the sun to be awake during the night, but not unheard of. This was the usual time Twilight would make her observations on the movement of the planets and the grouping of star clusters within their cosmic view.

"Princess? What are you doing up so late?" Twilight asked. It was well past midnight, and Celestia woke early every morning to raise the sun and begin the seemingly endless parade of nobles and commoners alike that requested an audience.

Princess Celestia pulled herself from the rather large telescope, as though she didn't sense Twilight approach. "Just observing my sister's work," she replied, though the look on her face suggested otherwise.

"It is a lovely night out, isn't it?" Twilight said, stepping toward the balcony and peering through the instrument.

"Yes," Celestia sighed. "I could never manage the heavens quite like Luna."

Twilight pulled away from the telescope and turned to face her teacher. She'd never seen the concern on Celestia's face until now. "Everything okay, Princess?"

Celestia's eyes flicked towards the heavens, then back down to her student, her tail twitching from side to side. "Twilight, a great change is coming."

She raised an eyebrow. "Great change? What do you mean?"

The alicorn princess had no words for her student, only a brief silence. "You know of the seasons, don't you Twilight?" she asked, retreating from the balcony to the inner chamber of the observatory.

"Of course," she replied. "Winter, spring, summer, and fall."

"When you were crowned princess, our kind lived in the fall of our nation. Now, I fear, we may be entering the winter."

Twilight enjoyed cryptic speech as much as the next scholar, but simply couldn't make head or tail of what Celestia meant. "Winter?" she repeated.

"Twilight, my dearest student. Do you know how our kind came to be?"

"Of course!" Twilight answered happily. "Our mother Epona created the universe through the magic of her horn, and decided that there should be three pony races, with alicorns to guide them through the ages!"

Celestia smiled. Her student had studied ancient Equestrian lore more rigorously than any of her former pupils. "Yes my dear, but what do you know of the end of magic?"

A puzzled look fell across Twilight's face. "The end of magic?"

Celestia nodded. "Yes. A day will come when the magic of our race fails. The day when it begins to leave us, just as it had come."

Twilight was taken aback. There was nothing about this in the books of the library, not even the restricted section! "Leave us?"

Celestia settled herself on a large cushion as Twilight sat on the floor in front of her mentor. "There will come a time when the magic given to us by birth will leave. It happened once before." Twilight leaned forward, hanging on Celestia's every word. "My sister and I stopped it once. We used the elements of harmony, bartering with our mother Epona. We gave up our mortal lives so that the rest of the ponies we cared for would live on with the blessing of sentience." The torchlight in the observatory cast long shadows about the room as Twilight listened, unsure of what to make of what was being revealed. "We were told a time would come when the magic lent to our kind was due to return from whence it came."

Confusion settled over Twilight as she tried to process what her teacher had revealed. "Return? But... what's going to happen to us?"

"I can't say," she replied mournfully.

"Is there some way to stop it? You and Princess Luna stopped it, right?"

Celestia nodded. "We did, but at a price. I have no way of knowing if the same deal can be struck again."

"But... there must be something we can do!"

Princess Celestia seemed to ignore the question, instead looking into her pupil's eyes, cherishing the moments they had together while they were still able to enjoy them. "Twilight. Promise me that if we are unable to stop what is coming, you will not linger here."


"Princess?" A knocking at her chamber door roused her from her memory. Twilight removed herself from her desk and trotted over.

"Yes?" she asked the guard who had come to fetch her. They still wore the armor of old, though very few of the guards could actually find any helms that could fit them. Most of the armory's supply had been out with the guards sent to keep the peace in Canterlot, and had never returned. It was somewhat painful, seeing royal guards in their armor. It reminded her of Shining. Twilight only thought of him and Cadence in the privacy of her chamber, where it was okay to cry, and okay to miss those you knew you could not do without.

"Spike has returned to the city," The tired looking guard reported.

"Is he and his company by himself?" she asked urgently.

"No your Highness. They have found the travelers."


Eros


Eros found himself enjoying Apple Bloom's new demeanor. Somber wasn't a good suit for her. After a trip along the deserted road, they reached the city gates of Canterlot. Like the other cities Eros had visited, this one was abandoned. However, unlike the others, this one showed signs of violence and strife. Burned out buildings and collapsed roofs hardly began to tell the story of all that had gone on here. Apple Bloom seemed just as surprised as he had been.

Her eyes lost the shine the news of her friends surviving had brought her. Eros noticed and leaned toward her from his side of the cart. "Everything okay?" he asked softly.

She glanced up at him, distracting herself from the ruins of a city that once represented everything she could hope to become in her lifetime. "Y-yeah. I'm just fine." Even though Eros had only known her for a short period, he could tell she was a terrible liar. Thinking quickly, he changed the subject to one she might appreciate a bit more than the gloom that surrounded them.

"So, who are your friends? Sweetie Belle and Scooterloo?"

Apple Bloom smiled, smothering a giggle. "Ya mean Scootaloo? They're two of th' coolest fillies you'll ever meet!" she told him, her voice picking up a happy tone. "I don't think they've ever met a griffon before, either," she added as Eros smiled to himself.

"I hope I make a good impression," he replied. The gentle swaying of the cart lulled them both back into silence. Eros was hesitant to comment on the ruin of the city, and he was certain Apple Bloom simply wanted to see her friends. After all, according to her, she had been alone for quite some time. The sparsely populated outskirts seemed even more unsettling than the city he and his father first encountered. In Prairieville, there had only been large, similar non-descript buildings, with few dwellings to speak of.

But here, the damage to the homes and neighborhoods seemed to chill Eros to the bone. These had been ponies houses. Perhaps they'd worked all their life and saved up every spare bit they had to buy it to raise their family in it and live happily together until their children did the same.

Now, they were husks of their what he imagined they once were. Most of the straw roofs were gone, either blown away by the breeze, collapsed, or burnt out. Only a few homes seemed livable, despite the shattered windows or broken doors. Furniture and personal items littered the yards and streets. Everything from tables and chairs, to children's toys and books. The scene was pure chaos, even though nothing but the wind blew through the empty alleys and cul-de-sacs. Eros looked to the head of their convoy. A castle sat perched on the side of the lone mountain jutting up from the otherwise hilly landscape around them.

The trees lining the road still bore leaves, as though nothing was out of the ordinary. It was an startling contrast, Eros thought. The dominant species of this land were gone, to who knows where, and the non-sentient beings simply carried on as though nothing were out of the ordinary. Birds here still chirped sweetly, bees still flew to the flowers marked by their brothers to collect pollen. Everything was fine, except for one glaring absence.

Eros glanced back to Apple Bloom. She stared stoically at her hooves, seeming to want to avoid the world around her. He frowned.

He couldn't blame her.


Spike


Spike and Argos walked beside the cart, Argos holding the reins with a spare talon as they went. They had spent much of the journey from Ponyville to Canterlot in silence as Spike savored the few gems he had given him. Once they'd entered the outskirts of Canterlot, however, Argos could hold his tongue no longer.

"So, what happened here?" he asked keeping his voice down in case they answer was something he'd rather the children not hear.

To his surprise, Spike smiled. "Same thing that happened everywhere."

Argos almost smirked himself, though the somber surroundings made him reconsider. "And that would be?"

"We're still not sure."

"We?"

"Twilight and I. You'll meet her once we get to the castle."

Argos nodded, allowing a brief pause before continuing with his questions. "Apple Bloom told us what she knew, but it wasn't much."

Spike glanced over his shoulder at the tired-looking filly. She smiled warmly at him, as he returned her gesture. "Good. Honestly, the less she knows, the better," he replied, turning back to the road ahead of them. "It started four weeks, and six days ago. That's when the grazing began to spread. The first reports came in about three months ago, but it was only near the forbidden forests. Places like the Everfree, Timberwolf Tundra, real wilderness areas," Spike began an indifference in his tone that seemed as though he were having a conversation about the weather. "Whatever it is, it makes ponies into animals. Not vicious ones, but... docile ones, I guess. It starts with eating grass. They just do it occasionally, whenever they get hungry. Then they start eating it more and more. Soon it's all they eat for all three meals. After that, they're sleeping outside just so they can eat grass as soon as they wake up. After that, they quit talking, they ignore their friends and family, their coats change color..." his voice trailed off, as though reliving a particularly painful memory. "They lose their horns their wings, almost everything that made them who they were. They just stand around eating grass and sleeping."

Argos was at a loss for words. He'd never heard of anything like it. He muttered a hum of agreement and looked down at his paws as he walked. He didn't feel the need to press the issue further, but still had a few questions about his traveling companions. "So, why do your friends have their heads wrapped up?" he asked, gesturing to the other ponies walking beside the cart.

"We're not sure what triggers the cravings for grass, so until we know, anypony that comes outside the walls with me covers their eyes, nose, mouth and ears. I don't know if it does any good, but better safe than sorry," Spike replied.

"And why don't you wear what they do?"

Spike's grin returned. "I don't eat grass."


Twilight


Twilight stood below the wall with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, two guards beside them. A spell she had cast allowed her to look safely over the wall without fear of being affected by the blades. She scanned the horizon towards the road leading to Ponyville.

"Well? We've been here for an hour!" Rainbow said impatiently, Fluttershy staying silent beside her.

"No sign of them yet... they must be on a bend in the road."

Dash stepped forward. "C'mon, let me see if I can find them." She attempted to nudge Twilight out of the way, but she held her ground.

"Just let me give it one more..." Twilight gasped, adjusting her magic to enhance her view. "I think... that's them! There's Spike, his party, and..." her voice trailed off as she removed her eyes from her magic periscope and rubbed them. Could it be?

Before she could check again, Rainbow stole her spot, putting her eyes to her spell and gazing across the deserted city. Dash reacted the same way Twilight had. "Is that... Apple Bloom?"

Fluttershy shoved Rainbow out of the way and took her turn at the magical device. "It is!" she squealed.

Rainbow's wings fluttered happily. "Just imagine the look on squirt's face when we tell her!"

Twilight turned to her guards. "When Spike gets here, he'll be traveling with two griffons and a pony. Once they're inside, scrub them of blades and bring them to me."

"Yes, Princess." They saluted, resuming their post at the only exit to the inner keep. The remaining Elements of Harmony trotted away from the gate, a renewed sense of vigor adding a spring to their step.

"So, this is enough of a reason to break into our keg of cider, right?" Rainbow asked hopefully.

Twilight smiled. "I think so."

"Yes! Party tonight!" Dash shouted enthusiastically, fluttering away to tell the other ponies milling about the courtyard the good news.

"How do you think Apple Bloom survived out there with all that grass?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shrugged. "I can't say, but if I can figure it out, it may be the final clue I need to figure out how to stop this. Maybe even reverse it." For the first time since coming here, Fluttershy smiled. "You should probably let Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo know who's coming." Twilight smiled, knowing the joy on the young mare's faces would raise Fluttershy's spirits even more. "If Rainbow hasn't already beaten you to it."

She nodded and followed after Dash, leaving Twilight in the cement courtyard. Watching the surprise on the other ponies faces kept her smile lingering. This was not a large kingdom by any means. She could walk from one end to the other in a few minutes. But it was the last bastion of what her mentor and her sister had built, what she and her five friends had fought and sacrificed to protect. It was Equestria's last hope.

Twilight looked up at the moon, suspended in the same position since the grass had claimed Princess Luna, even during the daytime. I'm trying, Princess Celestia. I just need a little help.