• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,388 Views, 17 Comments

Welcome to Ponyville - englishwitch



Ponyville before Pinkie Pie was a different place...

  • ...
0
 17
 1,388

Chapter 2

Welcome to Ponyville
Fanfic by Englishwitch

Chapter 2

Fourteen year old, Pinkie rose with a smile on her face. This was customary for the party pony but today is wasn’t just her general-everyday smile, it was her waking-up-to-the-smell-of-delicious-things-cooking smile. She hadn’t had the chance to use that one in some time. At home she was usually the one baking the delicious things so, of course, she wouldn’t be waking up to them. She would usually be wearing her I’m-baking-delicious-things smile.

Her bed was simple but comfortable. The guest room of Sugar Cube Corner was basic, with a musty- unused- smell in the air. Simple blue walls and slightly dirty windows added to the room’s unused atmosphere. It seemed the Cake’s also used the room for storage, there were boxes piled in one corner which Pinkie had found to contain small ornaments, photo albums, winter clothes and large folders full of boring paperwork.

Pinkie threw back the blanket and stretched, her back cricking as she bent into seemingly unnatural angles. Something pink was obscuring her vision; some of her mane had flopped down overnight. With a violent shake of the head, which left her eyeballs vibrating in her skull, she managed to throw the mass of pink curls back upwards, where they stayed, big and poofy. There was no need for a brush. She hadn’t brushed her hair for years.

Jumping out of the bed Pinkie dove into her saddlebags. Rooting around for a few minutes she located her toothbrush. Always start the day by brushing your teeth, Granny Pie had always said, it left your teeth protected against all the sweet treats you could eat that day.

...***...

Carrot Cake carried a fresh batch of his namesake out into the store. In the kitchen his wife, Cup Cake, was humming to herself as she began continued to mix up a new batch of gingerbread ponies.

Mr Cake had just placed the tray of carrot-cake slices into the glass counter display case when a pink blur shot down the stairs. Startled he jumped back, the tray fell from his mouth and the good fell toward the floor.

The blur skidded along the floor and grabbed the tray, the cakes landed on top of it, piling up into a pyramid shape. Pinkie smiled up at the still shocked Mr Cake. “Morning Mr Cake.” she said with her usual cheery enthusiasm. “You should really be more careful, you cake sell stuff that’s been all over the floor.”

Carrot Cake nodded and tried to get his heart to slow down to normal speed. “Thank you, Pinkie,” he took the tray from her and quickly put it into the display case before anything else happened. Pinkie still lay on the floor, smiling up at him, Mr Cake did not smile back. “I wouldn’t have dropped them if you hadn’t startled me. From now on, could you please just walk down the stairs?”

Pinkie’s smile faltered slightly, but she kept it on her face, “Oh, of course Mr Cake. I’ll be super-dooper, extra careful walking down the stairs from now on.” she nodded her head with every word she spoke, from somewhere within the depths of her mane, came the sound of a small jingling bell. “While I’m a guest in your house I’ll be on my best behaviour and follow all your rules.”

Mr Cake nodded before turning his back for a second to grab hold of a small notebook that was on a lower shelf, “Yes, well, about that, I suppose we should talk about your rent. How does-” he stopped, his jaw left wide open. Pinkie had helped herself to one of the carrot-cakes, along with a gingerbread pony, a lemon-surprise muffin and a chocolate éclair. She had the goods stacked on a plate, which she had produced from nowhere while his back had been turned.

Pinkie tossed the whole slice of carrot cake into her mouth, “Mmmmm, it’s good.” she said with a full mouth, “but could use a pinch more nutmeg and some fresh orange zest in the icing will really enhance the flavour.” she took the gingerbread pony but Mr Cake snatched it and the éclair away from her.

He frowned at her “Pinkie!”

“What’s going on out there?” Mrs Cake appeared at the kitchen door. She had spots of flour on her coat, tiredness in her eyes and only a thin smile on her face. “Pinkie, good morning, sleep well?” she sounded pleasant enough, using the calm and patient tone of a person who was busy but also making an effort to be nice to someone.

“Oh yes,” Pinkie nodded, her mane rang again, “that bed was really comfy and the bedroom is so cosy, thank you.”

Mr Cake cleared his throat, “Pinkie,” he drew her attention back to himself, “you can’t just go helping yourself to our stock whenever you feel like it.”

Pinkie’s smiled shrank slightly, “I’m sorry Mr Cake. I didn’t know.”

Mrs Cake looked at her disapprovingly, “Pinkie, you should have known. This is a business, we need to sell everything we bake to make a profit.”

Pinkie nodded her head slowly, this time her hair didn’t ring. Her smile was smaller than before, “I’m sorry. I promise, I’ll pay for anything I eat before I eat it in future.” she crossed her hoof over her chest, “cross my heart. Hope to die.”

The Cake couple shared a look with each other. Pinkie was, supposedly, old enough to leave home and live by herself, but she still acted a lot like a filly. She was a strange pony.
“Well,” Mr Cake sighed, “okay, just don’t let it happen again.”

Pinkie’s smile increased in size, just slightly, “Okie Dokie.” then she brightened up completely, “Ohh, if you want I can help in the kitchen, I learned how to make extra-special super delicious caked from my Granny Pie. I was just saying to Mr Cake, if you added orange zest to the-”

Mr Cake interrupted her, “Thank you Pinkie, but we know how to bake,” he glanced at his wife, “We’ve been doing it since we could crawl.” He was trying to be calm with her but his patience was wearing thin. The energy, enthusiasm and immaturity he could just about tolerate, but he didn’t like somepony he’d only just met telling his how to improve his life’s passion.

Pinkie looked back apologetically, “I was only-”

Mrs Cake stepped in, “Pinkie, it’s all right. Why don’t you go out, explore the town a little and get to know the ponies. If you’re going to live here, you should get to know everypony.”

Pinkie perked up immediately, “Oh, yeah, great idea. Thanks Mrs Cake. See ya’ later.” She trotted backwards, waving one of her hooves at the both of them. Despite not looking there she was going she found the door and walked out without bumping into anything.

Mr and Mrs Cake both breathed a sigh of relief when she was gone.
“Telling us how to bake.” Carrot muttered under his breath.

His wife stepped up and nuzzled his cheek. “Oh, she’s just trying to help. She’s enthusiastic.”

Carrot-cake cocked an eyebrow, staring a the open door Pinkie had vanished through, “She’s something all right.” he wasn’t sure what it was, but Pinkie Pie was it.

...***...

Pinkie trotted down the main street, heading toward the marketplace, taking in all the details of the town around her. She saw the ponies and it made her a little sad to see that almost none of them were smiling. Most ponies wore neutral, even disinterested looks on their faces. Those with smiles were just wearing thin, fake, grins. You could tell by how the smile didn’t reach their eyes. “I have a lot of work to do here.” she said out loud to herself. Still, she felt she was up to the challenge. Hollow Shades had been a place with no smiling and no parties and she had made everypony there smile. Ponyville wasn’t nearly so gloomy so surely cheering everyone up here would be a piece of cake.

She licked her lips at the thought of cake. Dripping with lots of frosting. And maybe decorated with marzipan flowers.

She shook her head, “Focus Pinkie.” she grinned, “friends first, then cake.”

There was a flower shop, flowers were cheery. Two ponies were watering their stock, two mares, older than Pinkie but they looked a little younger than Mr and Mrs Cake. Both had pink coats, one had a pale lime green mane and two daisies for a cutie mark while the other had a light gold mane and three lilies for a cutie mark.

She bounced up to them, wearing her biggest let’s-be-friends smile. “Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie.”

The two mares stopped their watering and looked at her, they put on professional smiles. “Hello,” said the green maned mare, “I’m Daisy, this is my sister Lilly,” she indicated the golden haired mare.

Lilly bowed her head slightly, “are you new in town?”

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically, “Yepp, just moved in yesterday. I’m from Hollow Shades originally but I’m living in Sugar Cube Corner right now. I might try to move into my own place when I get enough money but I don’t know if I will because living above a bakery is just the bestest of the best place I could ever dream of living with all the sweet and delicious smells that drift up all day, like today they were making carrot cakes and gingerbread and those just smelled so super that they made my tummy rumble like a-”

Lilly glanced at her sister, “when is she going to come up for air?” she mouthed.

Daisy had to yell to be heard over Pinkie’s endless chat, “That sounds great!” As Pinkie stopped talking the mares both breathed a sigh of relief. “Is there anything we can get for you Miss Pinkie?” she indicated her stock, “our roses are fresh and have grown beautiful this year.”

Pinkie looked at the assortment of red, white and yellow roses. “They do look amazing,” she inhaled the scent deeply, “and they smell lovely.”

Lilly nodded, “The best in Ponyville,” she said with pride, “how many would you like, we can do you an excellent deal on a dozen.”

Pinkie giggled, “Oh, I’m not buying, I don’t have a lot of money, so I have to save it for important things. Sorry.”

The professional smiles faded from the sister’s faces. “Then,” Daisy said unsurely, “why did you stop here?”

“Just to say ‘hello’ and introduce myself. Hello, I’m Pinkie Pie.” she waved her hoof at them, the two mares glanced at each other and back to Pinkie.

Lilly cocked her head, “well, okay.”
Daisy cocked her head in the other direction, “it was nice to meet you Miss Pie,”

“Call me Pinkie,” she giggled.

“Pinkie,” Daisy corrected, “but we have a lot of work to do. Sorry, but we can’t stop and chat.”

Pinkie continued to smile and stare at them.

The sisters began to shuffle on their hooves uncomfortably, Daisy cleared her throat, “So...we have to get to work....”

Pinkie nodded her head but didn’t move.

Lilly looked even more nervous, “So...we can’t just have....any pony just....hanging around.”

“uh-huh” Pinkie nodded.

The sisters glanced at each other again. “So,” Daisy tried again, “you see, paying customers only.”

Pinkie’s smile fell, “oh,” then returned as quickly as it had vanished, “Okay. See ya’ later.” she trotted off, humming a little tune to herself.

Both Lilly and Daisy watched her go. “That pony is weird.” Daisy whispered,
“Definitely,” Lilly agreed.

.*.

Pinkie trotted on down the street. The street opened up and she stared, mouth agape, at a huge tree, which had a door, windows and even a balcony on an upper level. Did somepony live in a tree? That was so cool.

Pinkie made a beeline for the tree house, she couldn’t wait to see what kind of interesting pony lived there.

She was disappointed to see a sign next to the door, declaring the building to be the Golden Oak Library. While a library built into a tree was still pretty cool, it wasn’t as interesting as the idea of someone living in a tree. She stepped inside anyway, eager to meet the ponies who were inside.

The interior was fascinating, from the shelves carved out of the wooden trunk of the tree, the flower to the sun fresco on the ceiling. There was a table in the middle of the room with two ponies sitting at opposite ends, reading in silence.

One was a grey coated, golden eyed pegasus mare with a pale yellow mane and tale and a cutie mark of bubbles.

The other was a younger unicorn mare, about Pinkie’s own age, with an aquamarine coat, yellow eyes, with a cyan and white striped mane with a Lyre cutie mark.

Both were absorbed in their reading but their choices in books were different. The pegasus was reading a thick but new-looking book, while the unicorn was concentrating on a thin but old tome. Its old cover was faded and cracked and Pinkie could see the yellowing on the pages even from the other side of the room.

“Hi!” Pinkie waved to them. “I’m-”

Both ponies looked up and shushed her.

Pinkie grinned sheepishly, “oops, library, right. Sorry.” she padded silently across the room toward the two mares. Turning her attention to the pegasus first she whispered, “I’m Pinkie Pie. Whatcha reading?”

The pegasus looked at Pinkie with one eye. The other stared off in a completely different direction.

“Wow!” Pinkie grinned, “that’s a cool trick. How do you do that with your eyes?”

The pegasus stared at her, mouth agape, then her face scrunched up and tears welled up in her eyes. She ran away from the someone table and out of the door. Pinkie heard the sound of sobbing fade into the distance.

Pinkie put her hooves to her mouth as she realised what she’d just done. “Oh no! Oh no nonononono!” It hadn’t been some trick the Pony was showing off. The poor mare had something wrong with her eyes and she was sensitive about it. And she, like an fool, had offended her.

“You jerk!” the unicorn snapped at her.

Pinkie looked at her, her eyes wide and frightened. “I’m so sosososo sorry. I didn’t mean to-”

The unicorn snorted and glared at her. “Well you did.” she slammed her book to a close with a burst of magic. “Derpy is sensitive about her eyes. How could you just waltz in here and say that to her?”

Pinkie’s mane started to become less poofy. It seemed to shrink in volume and started to straighten. “But....I...I...”

“You don’t know her!” the unicorn continued to yell. “Is that how you have fun? Making fun of strangers just because their different? You should be ashamed of yourself!” she didn’t wait for Pinkie to say anything else. She pushed past the confused and upset pink pony and stormed out of the library, slamming the door behind her.

Pinkie hung her head. Her mane was hanging in front of her eyes, a few waves and kinks were all that remained of her thick curls. “I’m sorry.” she sobbed to the silent library.

Author's Note:

The chapter ended up being much darker than I originally intended, but this is the direction it went down.

Ponyville and Pinkie are meeting properly for the first time and both are unprepared for each other. Pinkie's enthusiasm and randomly impulsive nature is a little shocking for all who meet her the first time.
The serious Ponyville is just not ready for the chaos that is Pinkie.
Not even Mr and Mrs Cake are prepared for her. They may be a little irritated by her now, but wait until they get to know her better.

Things will work out in the end though, so do try and tolerate this little rough patch in her life.

Comments ( 9 )

2379964
They actually have different names, one of them is called Limestone and the other is Marble I think, according to the official name website thing I found before

Odd, I thought Lyra lived in Canterlot at first.

3575111
I like to think she just visits so she can read books on humans in the Canterlot Library. Which is how she knows Twilight.

I almost forgot about this story. Nice to see it updated! And wow, Ponyville before Pinkie certainly is a... different place.

3575063 The PAC-Man fan nicknames are too ingrained.

If she's only fourteen, then doesn't she have to go to school? Poor Derpy, she didn't deserve that. But I'll be Pinkie just didn't know. So no Maud, Limestone or Marble in this story? Guessing this was before Pinkie's real family came to view...understandable. You have my attention, be nice to see Pinkie as she is but it would also be nice to be a bit more serious as she's in a new place she does not know yet. I'll be watching.

8448456
Before Pinkies family were named and fleshed out in the show. It was Before alicorn twilight when I started writing this. I had fandom canon to go on only so I built from that

8449267
Ahh, alright. So you have quite some things to change then :rainbowlaugh: Personally I like thinking that Octavia is Pinkie Pie's cousin so if you want such a head canon could be use, I like this story either way so can't wait for me, even more when she meets the other girls and Gummy.

It's a shame this fanfic ended. This had such great character for Pinkie making her both uplifting yet a bit awkward. Some cool world building as well. This feels very mature. And I like how the characters around Pinkie don't just accept her willy nilly.

Even if you spent a whole chapter on the Rock Farm that I'd a cool thing to do!

I still want to know though what is the reason for you changing the Sugarcube Corner since you said there was a story reason for the change?

Either way this was a great fiction that should have gotten more notereity. I hope you are doing well you English Witch! An awesome fic indeed!:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment