• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 726 Views, 10 Comments

Soft Tunes and Grand Strings - VioletMichaelis



She's a Cellist. You're a DJ. Two opposites, right?

  • ...
3
 10
 726

Until Now

It had been several years since that posh mare had met the party animal. Many years to have discovered things about one another, the other pony's life or the other pony's life now.

So inseparable they were that they had found themselves living together. Not as a couple, at least, not that either of them would admit.

Another morning. Another set of wubs, bursting out of Vinyl's supposedly sound proof door and around the house. The cellist had had enough. "Vinyl! Turn that music down while I try and eat!" Octavia screeched, opening the door. Inside was the source of the wubs, one very excited mare doing her usual practice session. At three am.

"Tavi!"

"No Vinyl I don't have the time, since you woke me up I realized I have some very important work-"

"Tavi!" Vinyl turned the music down only a tad, enough to make her voice more coherent. "We should jam, right now!" She used her magic to keep the set going as she ran across the room to Octavia. The whole place was scarcely decorated, putting the various cords running off the blue walls and carpet floors. Across one wall were a whole set of shelves with various broken or separated equipment, things Vinyl continued to tell Tavi were "things she needed to fix" and upon any argument she'd insist "I'll get around to it, like Tuesday maybe.".

The grey mare stepped out of the way of her unicorn friend, who's head was buzzing with the rush of morning energy drink. "I told you to stop drinking red stallion in the morning didn't I?" Octavia sighed as she made her way over to the stacked plugs. She was sure they'd start an electrical fire one day, if the house didn't vibrate to the ground before then.

"But the stuff is meant to give you wings, that's what the label says!" Vinyl laughed, too tired from an early wake and a late bed time to think about what exactly she was saying. "Lyra said it's how Twilight got to be a princess, you know with the new wings thing and everything? That coronation was crazy by the way! I totally got so many fans when we played the after party, wicked fun! Hey what are you doing to the switch?"

Octavia tuned out while her friend was rambling (an easy feat with all the music) and flicked the switch on the wall with her right hoof, an electric shock just enough to make her whole front tingle shot up into her body. The music died off within the next second, and Vinyl looked disappointed.

"No jamming?"

"No jamming." Octavia confirmed, walking out the door and slamming it behind her. She called just before she headed downstairs "And don't start again until it's at least light outside!"


Octavia trotted down the stairs, hiding her happiness because of her morning routine. Waking up to the loud music in her ears really was the best feeling for someone who loved the music of her best friend so dearly. She simply had to keep Vinyl in line and make sure she knew when to tone things down, both for Vinyl and her neighbor's sake.

But alas, this is how almost every morning went, discounting the ones when Vinyl was truly way too wasted to wake up until the afternoon. Octavia had accepted this long ago and even enjoyed her friend's seemingly bad side. Everything was just perfect.

The grey mare walked out of the door. "And don't start again until it's at least light outside!" she called as her hoofsteps disappeared down the steps. Vinyl admitted defeat and began packing up the most essential parts of her set. Her old headphones from when she was young, the same, very rare mp3 player and a few other power cords. She put the headphones, looking down to the small patch of tape she had used and then covered up to fix her headphones when they had been broken at one of her house parties, and then to the scratch at the top of the band where she had thrown it once after an argument with Octavia. Vinyl chose not to cover it up, as a reminder to not let any harm come to herself and Tavi, or to argue with her for any reason again.

Vinyl made her way down the house's steps, looking around the place they had so happily bought together. She looked at the nicks in the walls and the scratches on the floorboards, each one holding a story she had treasured so dearly.

For example, there was one near the front door, a rather noticeable scratch where the mover ponies had dropped one of her amps on the first day she had moved in. She could still clearly see the look of fury on Tavi's face, and remembered watching it fade as the grey Pegasus with a messy yellow mane apologized, backing out of the door and falling over backwards.

She walked past the front door and into the kitchen, where Octavia was making her way through a plate of eggs and muffins. Vinyl spotted a square speaker with a few buttons on the top of it. "I think it's time to clean the dishes."

"Vinyl not now, I told you it's still dark what about the ne-"

Her complaints were cut short as a deafening sound and vibrations moved through the house, emanating from Vinyl's dubstep dishwasher.

"Yeeeaah~!"

"Oh god no..."

Author's Note:

Update: I am revamping this story for a school project, which means an edited and improved version will be made available in the next week.

I highly suggest reading it. Ta!

Comments ( 5 )

a bit short but it was really nice to read :ajsmug:

2322722
Thankyou for taking the time to leave me a lovely comment, :raritystarry:
there will definitely be more, I can't stop my fingers from tapping away.:derpytongue2:
I hope to see more of you in the future:pinkiesmile:

Party hard or go home! Haha. I couldn't stop smiling as I read this through :pinkiehappy: that is a good thing!

Keep up the good work, friend! :rainbowkiss:

3537791
I'll have to produce something else soon. They're my favorites to write about, so if you're watching me it'll show up soon :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment