• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 675 Views, 10 Comments

Party in the Rabbit Hole or There and Never back Again - Pinkius Piecus



A tale of dreams coming true, for a time. All dreams must end, as we all learn one day.

  • ...
0
 10
 675

Part I

"'And in another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.' Why 'da hell do I keep hearing this quote everywhere now?" I wondered aloud after reading the Lewis Carroll quote on yet another game that I had popped in to relax with. I was alone at the time, but I said it out loud anyway. I'm told that's a sign of mental instability. Not that I really mind if I were messed in the head. One step further from boring normality and closer to fun weirdness, I always say. Well, at least the quote was appropriate to what I'd kept seeing it on. It always preceded some big adventure. Makes sense enough to me, at any rate. I'd heard good things about this particular game, so I was excited to play it. It certainly kept my attention. Sort of intense though, not great for relaxing after a night spent standing behind laser and fog machines, getting a crowd up and dancing, but still worth it.

After a few hours I called it good enough for an intro to the game and decided to hit the hay. I began my nightly routine, simple though different from most others, I imagine. Most of it was the taking off of accessories. When done, I set some music going and passed out still in jeans and a t-shirt, I've never been one for jammies, and snuggled with my prized possession, a large Pinkie Pie plushie. Since first getting into My Little Pony, I had been drawn to Pinkie. She had a personality that was strikingly similar to my own. There were parallels between myself and a few of the other ponies, of course, but like I said I was drawn to Pinkie. In fact, I was having a dream about Pinkie that night. Which was rare. Rare that I was dreaming, I mean. It doesn't happen for me often and I always remember when it does. Hanging out with Pinkie Pie; one dream I'd pray would come true. Well, I would if I was a praying man, anyway. As it happened, I simply savored the dream.

My eyes opened a few hours later. Not exactly good sleep, but that was normal for me. While I sat waking up, I slowly realized I didn't recognize my surroundings. My bed, and the items that were nearest to it were all there but I was no longer in my room. After a cursory inspection through sleepy eyes, I appeared to be in a sort of cartoon room. Specifically, a barn. "Shit, am I lucid dreaming?" I asked out loud to no one in particular, as I was still alone, and a wide grin spread on my face. I was ecstatic at the prospect of a lucid dream. While a dream was rare for me, one in which you could be completely aware was rare even for normal people.

It didn't take long after I realized that to wake up fully and I set about donning my accessories. When I was nearly finished and settling my headphones around my neck, I heard the barn door open with a creak. I spun around and looked upon something I never thought I'd see in any sort of waking environment, dream or otherwise. I couldn't help but smile as I looked at the orange pony in front of me, standing a few feet shorter than myself. Then, she spoke, with a southern American accent as I'd fully expected. "Uh, who or what are you and what are y'all doin' in my barn?"

I didn't reply. I simply stood there, hoping this encounter to be real, but realizing that it was likely not. She spoke again. "Can ya talk?" This time I replied. "Uh, yeah. Weird question; Is ... is this a dream?"

She gave me a look that suggested I might not be all there. She's not the first to give me that look. She answered the question though. "Uhm, Ah don't think so. Where are ya from?"

I barely suppressed a laugh. Where was I from? A better question would be where am I now. "Not from around here." I stated it simply, it was the truth after all.

She nodded at my response and looked me up and down. Sizing me up, I guess. It was then that I realized that I had small toy versions of a few of her friends; Pinkie, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash, clipped to my belt. That was sure to garner suspicion and sure enough, the next thing I heard was: "What in tarnation are those?" She had a hoof aimed at the toys on my belt.

Yep, this was going to be difficult to explain. Well, where I'm from, you and your friends are famous and lots of creatures like me immortalize you in the form of merchandise. No way that could possibly go over badly. "Uhhhhh ..." I was stalling while I tried to think of how to break that kind of thing lightly. I was saved, however, when I heard a sound that made my heart soar, as it always did. The dulcet tones of Pinkie Pie, singing some song or another that she'd likely written on the spot outside the barn and getting closer. Apple Jack turned and waved, I assume to summon Pinkie over.

My assumption was proven correct when Pinkie burst into the barn in her own style, wearing a big smile as always. I couldn't hide my own smile at the sight of the pink pony. "Hi Apple Jack!" She greeted the other mare before catching a glimpse of me and bouncing over to me excitedly. "Ooooh! What are you? What's your name? Where are you from? Where's your tail? What happened to your hooves? Why do you have a mini me? And most importantly, why are you in Apple Jack's barn?"

I shook my head with a quiet chuckle before replying. "Tell you what, I'll answer all your questions, and more, once we get outta here. I mean, this is a lovely barn and all, but not exactly my fave interrogation spot." I said it with a wink and a smile, being clear that the interrogation comment was a joke. Nearly all of my willpower was directed toward containing my excitement at being in this world, so I surprised even myself with my apparent lack of concern over the strange situation. Pinkie and Apple Jack seemed to agree as Pinkie nodded while Apple Jack suggested taking the little party we had going to Twilight's library. So, I followed after them, Pinkie bouncing in circles around me as we went along.

After we arrived at the library, the pair showed me in and called for Twilight, who appeared from upstairs after a short wait. I took a seat and a look around, looking over the books. All of them were impossibly exotic to me, but likely were mostly standard among the ponies. Twilight, Pinkie, and Apple Jack were talking quietly on the far side of the room. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Spike peeking at me from upstairs. I suppressed a laugh and waited patiently for the three ponies to finish with their private conversation. Soon enough they trotted over to me and Twilight said, "It might be best if you tell us about yourself. For starters, what should we call you?"

I offered a smile and gestured to the floor near me. "You might wanna take a seat ladies, it seems I have a story to tell." Once they'd settled in, I began. "Well, I s'pose you can call me whatever you want but I'd warm up to ya faster if you call me Quest." My artistic name was QWE5T, and I've never cared for my given name. They didn't need to know that though. "Now, my story isn't super long or anything, but it should help clear some things up. And, uh, prepare for a couple of revelations." At that, Spike tottered down the stairs and joined the ponies as I explained. "As for what I am, I'm a human. I-"

Twilight interrupted with a gasp. "Oh! I have a book on extra-dimensional species here somewhere. I knew you seemed familiar!" After she realized she'd interrupted, she gave a sheepish smile. "Um, heh, sorry."

I simply chuckled and continued. "Not surprising. From what I understand, you have books on all sorts of interestin' stuff here. Anywho, where I'm from, I did sorta a similar thing as you, Pinkie. I spent a lot of time entertaining people with parties and makin' friends smile."

Pinkie giggled at that and Twilight spoke up again. "How exactly do you know so much about us?" She seemed a little suspicious.

This was gonna be difficult. "Well," I paused while I attempted to think of a good way to explain, "In my world, Earth, we have a TV show-" Pinkie tilted her head in confusion. Of course, I don't recall the ponies having anything resembling television. "Uh, TV is like a stage show in a box. It utilizes electricity, among other things, to project millions of images in rapid succession to create movement and sound. Well anyway, in my world there's a TV show about Equestria, and more specifically you guys. Twilight, Dashie, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Apple Jack, Rarity, and Spike. Many people in my world have in-depth knowledge of Equestria and those that inhabit it. As well as toys and stuff." I remained silent for a minute to let them process that.

I looked at each of them in turn, waiting for one of them to speak. Twilight was the first to break the silence. "So, how did you end up in Equestria?"

I simply offered a shrug. "No clue. I fell asleep in my home, then woke up in Apple Jack's barn." After a moment of thought, Twilight stood and began ransacking her own library.

"Uh, Twilight?" Apple Jack looked at her questioningly. "What're ya doin'?"

The purple mare continued with her business while responding. "I'm looking for a spell book involving dimensional portals. We have to help this traveler return home."

It was my turn to speak up. "Actually, I wouldn't mind stickin' around here, if it's all the same to you." This was a dream come true, and I didn't want it to end. Of course I missed my friends from Earth, but maybe there was a way to bring them to Equestria as well at some point. "Living here would be the best thing that could happen to me, no doubt."

Twilight turned to me with a dubious look. "Wouldn't you miss your home? Or your family? Friends?"

I blinked and shook my head. She seemed to guess what I was thinking. "I s'pose, a bit. But I know I could be happier here. And maybe there's a way we could, y'know, bring my friends here too. I mean, I got here. How hard could it be?"

Twilight didn't speak for a few moments, clearly deep in thought. "Maybe. But we'll have to see about that later. For now, I need to tell Princess Celestia about this. Pinkie," At the mention of her name, Pinkie stood at attention in a silly manner and Twilight continued. "Since you seem to have the most in common with this, um, human, maybe he could stay with you and Mr. and Mrs. Cake while I figure this out?"

Pinkie busted out in a wide grin at the prospect of entertaining a visitor from so far away. "Consider it done!" Her excitement was palpable. I, for one, was certainly glad to stay with my favorite pony and I couldn't have hid my smile if I'd wanted to.

Pinkie and I left the library immediately, arriving at Sugarcube corner after a quick tour of Ponyville. The tour wasn't really necessary, since I'd already known Ponyville at least as well as an inhabitant but I hadn't said anything when Pinkie started. It was nice to see it all with my own eyes. The little pink pony didn't stop speaking the entire time. Her excitement was such that it'd become contagious, it had seemed. Other ponies, ones from the background, some that I'd recognized, had started appearing. They kept their distance but didn't hide their curious stares. I didn't mind. I had a smile glued to my face anyway, getting the VIP treatment as I was. After stepping inside the bakery, Pinkie gave an enthusiastic tour of the building and introduced me to Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who graciously agreed to let me stay for the time being. I tried to be as polite as possible, but I admit it was hard to contain my excitement, even more so in the presence of Pinkie's exuberance.

After the introductions, Pinkie took me up to her room. "Since this place is sorta full up, you can stay in my room with me!" She smiled at me, a small detail I only remember because of how it struck me. It was a simple gesture, rare enough for humans to show to each other I suppose but still, so simple yet so ... Deeply enchanting. I blinked out of the miasma my mind had found itself in and took in the room. Very girly, very bubbly, very messy. Very Pinkie.

"Should do perfect!" I replied while returning a smile. "Thanks lots for letting me crash here."

She waved away my thanks with a grin. "No problem! I'm happy to help!" She gestured me to sit, which I did, and she began needling me with questions. "What's it like where you're from? Do you have ponies there? How come you look so weird? What happened to your hooves? Why is your mane like that? Where's your tail? What happened to your coat? What's up with your snout?"

When she was finished, I simply smiled then answered. "I look weird because that's just how humans, what I am, are. We're really weird. All your questions about how I look and stuff can be answered with that." I winked with a smile. "As for what it's like on Earth, it's a lot like Equestria except with less magic. Well, I guess we have magic, sorta. It's not quite the same though. And we do have ponies, but none of them are very colorful and none have horns or wings. Also, they're not very talkative at all."

She listened with rapt attention, seeming to examine me closely while I answered her many questions. After she was satisfied, she pointed to a tattoo on my arm and the wristbands I wore. "Is that your cutie mark?" She asked about the tattoo. "What are those things?" She asked about the wristbands.

I looked down at my arm with a chuckle. "Yeah, I guess that's like my cutie mark. Human's can get them put on at any time, and it can be anything they choose. This one's unique to me though. I designed it myself. As for these ..." I took off one of the wristbands and gave it to her to look at. "Humans wear those to show our interests, allegiances, things we support, mottos, stuff like that. That one says 'Party. Sleep. Repeat.' on it because that's pretty much what I do."

Her face lit up at the explanation. "That's the coolest thing ever! I love to party and sleep too!" She had a huge smile on her face.

"Keep it." I said simply. "If I end up having to leave, you can use it to remember me."

I don't know how, but her smile somehow grew yet wider. "Omigosh! Thank you!"

I laughed and helped her slip it onto her hoof. "A perfect fit!" I said while beaming and then something I had only ever dreamed about happened. She gave me the warmest hug I've ever participated in. I had hoped, in vain of course, that it would never end. But it did, as it had to.

Later in the evening I was invited to dinner with Pinkie and the Cakes. They set out a nice dinner. A little light on things an omnivore might enjoy, but it was still good. After we ate, Pinkie and I headed back up to get some sleep. The next day was likely to be big, after all. As we settled in to sleep, Pinkie said goodnight in her own way. "Nighty night! Don't let the parasprites bite!" I smiled and returned the sentiment. Pinkie had offered to share her bed, but as we'd technically just met, I thought it might not be best. She insisted I sleep in the bed though, to which I reluctantly agreed as she'd seemed determined to not take no for an answer. I laid awake for some time, unable to fall asleep due to all that had happened. I glanced over at Pinkie, fast asleep, and noticed she wore the wristband to bed. My mouth formed a small smile and I un-clipped the small Pinkie plushie from my belt and laid it on my chest in a gentle embrace, only then slowly drifting off to sleep. I didn't know what to expect the next day, but it was certainly a surprise ...

Comments ( 9 )

i'm willing to give this a chance.

2179535 Well thanks! :twilightsmile: I think. But still, I appreciate the read. :pinkiesmile:

very interesting.
good job.:pinkiehappy:
also i could have sworn i've seen that cover art before lol.:pinkiecrazy:

Alright, I'm gonna see where this goes--the beginning's certainly brilliant! :pinkiehappy:

2180060 Omigosh thank you! :pinkiehappy: And that's only a coincidence! Or is it?... :trixieshiftright:

2180126 Yay! :twilightblush: You get a Spike with a sweet 'stache :moustache:

Just a little ps, if you didn't like my story for any reason and give it a thumbs down, I'd really appreciate it if you leave a comment explaining why, so that I may improve. And if you simply aren't a fan of the premise or narrative style, please don't thumbs down because that's not a failing on my part, that's just a difference of opinion. Thank you and have a great day! ^^

:twilightsmile: more please really good chapter :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment