• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 3,155 Views, 195 Comments

Of Deadlines and Doppelgangers - MidnightDancer



Rarity needs help to complete a large string of orders. Who better to help the picky fashionista than herself?

  • ...
12
 195
 3,155

The Worst...Possible...Thing!

Of Deadlines and Doppelgangers
By MidnightDancer

The bell above the door of Carousel Boutique jingled merrily, announcing the arrival of a certain pink pony. Said pony was wearing a rather silly hat consisting of a wicker basket filled with cards, presumably to one of her famous parties. Her bubblegum hooves bounced cheerfully across the foyer as she waited for her friend.

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique whereeverythingismagnificentandwhatnot howcanIhelpyoudear?" Pinkie whirled at the sound of the voice, eyes falling on an annoyed white unicorn. Rarity's usually impeccable mane was mussed nearly beyond repair, and her red sewing glasses sat askew on her nose. Panting, she eyed the pink pony menacingly. "Pinkie Pie, if those are invitations to a party..."

The party pony beamed widely and hopped towards her friend, pulling one out and presenting it to the unicorn. "Yepperooni! I know you've been working so hard lately and we've barely seen you and we'd all really really REALLY love if you could come to Mayor Mare's after birthday party since you missed her birthday party yesterday! You silly, you never checked your mail! That's why I like to deliver myself because sometimes the mailmare gets lost or goes to the wrong house and one time my mail was going to Dashie's house for about two months and I had to build a helicopterbicycle to get up there and she was so surprised—" Her happy bouncing was interrupted by a magical grab to her tail, firmly grounding her. Surprised, she looked over her shoulder, coming nose to nose with a highly agitated mare.

"I haven't been to any social events because I'm busy, Pinkie! Some things are more important!" As her shout died down, Pinkie's eyes filled with tears.

"Too...too busy for a party? Too busy for your friends?" Hair deflated, the pink pony sat heavily on the floor, looking up at Rarity with a soulful and hurt gaze. "It's just...it's been a month, Rarity, and we miss you..." She looked back down, nervously pawing at the floor with a hoof, tears streaking down the pink fur of her face.

Composing herself, Rarity trotted to Pinkie, and put a foreleg around her shoulders, pulling the other pony to her gently. Drying Pinkie's tears with a magically conjured hoofkerchief, she explained, "I'm sorry for shouting, dear. I certainly did not mean to hurt your feelings or imply that your parties aren't important. I do miss all you girls as well, but just look around this place, Pinkie." She swept her opposite foreleg out, indicating her showroom.

Pinkie finally looked. The sales floor was covered in scattered pieces from ensembles, and several dozen ponyquins were covered in half-finished pieces. Expensive silks hung from cabinet doors haphazardly, and sketches of failed outfits littered the floor in balls of parchment. Towards the back of the sales floor, she could see through the door to Rarity's workroom which appeared to be in a federal state of emergency. Finally, looking up, she noted a tape measure and a lonely pink ribbon dangling from the light fixture, fluttering lazily.

She glanced back to Rarity, whose sapphire eyes were sitting above dark bags, stray hairs from her mane blowing haphazardly across her face as she moved. She had only seen her friend looking less than perfect once before-so she knew it must be serious. Pinkie nodded. "What happened?"

Trotting to one of the ponyquins, the white mare sighed. "The Royal Wedding happened, Pinkie." Taking a sewing needle in her magic, she began stitching carefully up the side of the neck piece. "While I was absolutely honored and humbled to be the fashionista responsible for the wedding dress of a Princess, of course, word spread very quickly about it. I began to receive orders from Canterlot, then Fillydelphia, even as far away as Trottingham!"

Hair re-inflated and back to her bouncy self, Pinkie squealed happily. "That's great, Rarity! I knew your fashions would get popular! Oh! Oh! You know what this calls for? A PAR—"

A ball of polyester found it's way into Pinkie Pie's mouth, silencing her. "No. This does not call for a party."

"'Horry. G'wan." Rarity removed the fabric with her magic, and continued her explanation.

Finishing up the right side of the neck piece, Rarity moved to the left. "I got too popular, unfortunately. I could easily handle the orders from Canterlot, and even Fillydelphia. Things got difficult when the Trottingham ponies began sending them in, but I couldn't bear to let them down. And now... now the Crystal Empire ponies are ordering my fashions." She dropped the needle, burying her tired head in her forehooves.

In a flash, Pinkie was beside her friend, bearhugging her. "Oh Rarity, don't you worry! I bet that between all six of us, we can get all your orders out and done and it'll be just amazing like that time we finished your Gala dress because you were being a whinypants which is silly because you like dresses better so you could be a whinydress instead but that sounds silly too and I just know that we'll all help any way we can—"

"...air..." Rarity flailed her hooves weakly, face turning nearly the same shade as her mane.

"Whoopsie!" The pink pony released her friend, who toppled to the floor of the shop, wheezing slightly. "But isn't that just the best idea ever?" Her body vibrated with joy and the desire to help, and Rarity looked up regretfully into her pale blue eyes.

"I'm sorry darling, but these orders are incredibly intricate. While I appreciate the offer of help, these are beyond even Fluttershy's skills, I'm afraid." She stood, brushing her legs off absently as she returned to her work, tail twitching in growing agitation as her voice grew ever higher. "I would need a perfect copy of myself to get these orders done correctly and on time! And that's not even counting the delivery time-all the days and hours spent delivering my fashions are days and hours spent not creating! I simply don't know what to do!" A velvet fainting couch appeared just in time for her to flop back dramatically, one foreleg draped across her forehead. "I'm so pathetiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic!"

"Oh, you silly filly." Pinkie nuzzled her friend comfortingly, and grinned. "I can help you do deliveries, and I bet Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy would both be happy to help. OH! And Twilight is going to Canterlot for a week starting tomorrow, so you could always send your Canterlot orders with her! I bet she wouldn't mind!" She beamed proudly, gentle eyes encouraging the white unicorn.

"Are... are you sure, dear? I don't wish to burden my friends with this..." Rarity dried her tears and cast her gaze around the shop uncertainly, finally falling on the neat stack of packaged orders waiting to go out by the door.

"What are friends for? Just leave it to Pinkie Pie! We'll get those orders there safe and sound, I Pinkie Promise." Pinkie sat back and solemnly did the motions of the promise, nodding sagely at her friend before nudging her off of her fainting couch and to her hooves, escorting her back to her workroom.

Going along and feeling a bit better, the unicorn smiled faintly. "I suppose. Thank you, Pinkie. I still don't know what I'm going to do about all the orders waiting to be made..." She trailed off, turning back to the pink pony with a flash of cunning in her eyes. "Darling?"

"Mmm?"

"Whatever happened to Tom?"


"This map is simply terrible." Rarity huffed and pushed her way through the Everfree forest, trying her level best to avoid the clinging vines that grew thicker by the moment. "This is utterly ridiculous. I do hope it's correct..."

Alabaster hooves pounded firmly on the packed leaves of the forest floor, nimbly dodging mud holes and leaping over rocks. Her eyes alternated between consulting the map held in the faint blue glow of her magic and scanning the ground for her quarry. "Hmmm.... 'Where the brambles are thickest...there you will find... a pond beyond the most twisted of vines!' Well, these vines ARE quite... twisted.'" Musing over the saying to herself, she failed to notice the large gray slab of rock on the ground. Her right hoof hit it perfectly, tripping her rather magnificently, and she tumbled over the rock and on to the ground, face picking up a lovely smattering of dirt and mud as she skidded for a foot and then stopped.

"DIRT!" Leaping up, she shook her head vigorously, prancing from hoof to hoof in agony. "Oooooh, my beautiful face! WHY did I have to fall on it? This is the WORST... POSSIBLE... THING!" Ending with a dramatic squeal, she flopped back on her magical fainting couch once more. After a moment, and realizing there was nopony around to notice her dramatics, she cracked an eye open and finally noticed what she had tripped over. Leaping up from the couch and spiriting it away, she checked the map once again before looking back down to the moss covered boulder peeking from the ground.

"I do believe I've found it. I'd recognize Tom anywhere," she mused to herself. "Well, only one way to find out for certain, I suppose."

Concentrating her magic, she wrapped the boulder in the pale blue glow. It had been sitting there for awhile, however, and seemed to be rather firmly wedged in its hole. She redoubled her efforts, sweat now joining the dirt and general grime that covered her face, hooves planted firmly as she pulled upwards with all her might. Horn sparking, she held her ground. Tom was heavy, but Rarity was sure she could lift him.

Finally, after what seemed like hours but was really only moments, the boulder heaved out of the hole and was tossed to the side. Panting, Rarity wiped her forehead with one leg, smiling at her work. She approached the lip of the hole carefully, head lowered as she peered inside. Faced with only darkness, she grimaced and lit her horn, leaning forward a bit more.

"I simply can't see a thiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The ground beneath her gave way, crumbling beneath her hooves and sending her flying headlong into the dirt corridor. She bounced along the tunnel, picking up more dirt and grime to her already filthy coat, before finally skidding down a ramp into a large cavern. Picking herself up carefully, her dark eyes swept the area, noting the greenish tint dancing up the craggy walls and the small clusters of crystals adorning the corners. Ripples of light covered everything, giving the entire cavern a special ethereal beauty. She stepped forward, filthiness forgotten, gazing in wonder.

Before her laid a placid underground lake, reflecting the eerie green light through the entire cave. She walked to it, and seeing her own bedraggled reflection, winced. "Oh dear..." she murmured, crossing one hoof in the water through the image of herself. "Well... nothing else to it, then. No sense stalling, I suppose."

Staring into the pond, she hesitated. Being a unicorn, she knew magic, of course, but things like the mirror pool were beyond her understanding. Even Twilight was hard-pressed to explain how and why it worked! Having only the word of a pink friend that nearly destroyed the sanity of Ponyville's residents with her clones was a shaky foundation at best. Still, she knew it DID work, so maybe...

She took a deep breath, eyes riveted to her own reflection in the pool, and recited the words Pinkie had taught her. "And into her own reflection she stared, yearning for one whose reflection she shared, and solemnly sweared not to be scared, at the prospect of being doubly mared!" At the end of the recitation, she submerged herself fully into the pool, coming out with an exact duplicate of herself. Her jaw dropped, seeing her own pristine self standing beside her. It was all there—the shining white coat, the expertly coiffed mane and tail, the perfectly applied makeup, all of it.

The second Rarity looked around the cave, fluffing her mane with a forehoof. Her gaze fell on the original Rarity, and she balked, eyes widening. "Darling, your mane! Your tail! Your COAT! We need to get you into a bath."

Rarity the First smiled.


If one were to look inside any of the windows of the strangely closed Carousel Boutique, they would likely shake their head in disbelief and a bit of fear. Inside, working at identical sewing stations, were two versions of the famous designer, each working on a different fabulous ensemble. Looking closer, one could note that one of the Raritys was wearing a rather chic blue scarf.

The scarfed Rarity fed another piece of cloth through her machine, eyes watching it pull through with a marked lack of interest. "This is simply so boring, darling. Can we not take a break? I need a hooficure in the worst way."

Rarity ground her teeth before turning her head to address her. "Doppelganger, I told you dear-these orders NEED to be finished, or else I—er, we—are finished as well!" Turning back, she added another intricate stitching detail to the golden vest.

Doppelganger flopped back in her chair, sighing dramatically. Voice ratcheting up to a distinct whine, she said, "Can't I even create? There's no joy in sewing a predetermined pattern!"

Rubbing her face with a hoof, Rarity sighed. "Listen, darling. If we can finish up all these Trottingham orders, I'll be more than happy to take a break to go to the spa, but at the moment we cannot afford any dilly-dallying! Going to get you from the mirror pool took an hour in itself."

"Well, it's not MY fault you bit off more than you could chew! Why did you not hire assistants? Did you really think there wouldn't be a spike in business after the wedding?" Doppelganger looked smugly at the white unicorn, who glared back, stung.

"I didn't say it was your fault, dear, but now we're in this together. Come now, we're nearly finished this order, you just need to sew the shell together and add the draping down the back." Trying her best to stay upbeat, Rarity fed the last piece of cloth through the machine.

With a small 'hmph', Doppelganger continued her work, eyes still drifting to the windows and the lovely sunny day beyond them. Pushing the scarf back over her shoulder, she glanced over at Rarity once more. Dear Celestia, I am utterly gorgeous. Smiling a small, ladylike smile, she turned back, finishing her piece and carrying it to her ponyquin. Humming to herself, she began the much more fun task of pinning her outfit together, stitching swiftly and expertly. Humming a bit louder, she pulled some violet silk from it's place in the cabinet, suspending it over the back of the black ensemble and pinning it strategically.

Rarity smiled fondly. Is that truly what I sound like? I suppose I've always known I had a lovely voice, but hearing it like this is something else entirely. Something...nice. She glanced back casually over her shoulder at Doppelganger, and the two mares locked eyes. There was a slightly uncomfortable silence, and both mare's cheeks took on a red tint before they giggled nervously and turned back to their respective tasks.

This may not be so bad after all.


By the end of the business day, the stack of completed orders had grown exponentially as the amount of fabric in the store decreased. Rarity sat back, relaxing finally after weeks of stress. The Trottingham orders were done, the Fillydelphia orders were done, and they had managed to start on the new Crystal Empire ones. Of course, she'd need to go find some more gems to finish those, but with her double around, she would actually have time to do so. Giving a content little sigh, she looked over to the other mare.

Doppelganger raised a brow, but smiled in return. "Feeling better, dear?"

Stretching, Rarity stood happily. "Indeed I am. What say I make some dinner for us, and we can discuss our schedule for tomorrow, hmm?"

With a playful smirk, Doppelganger flicked her perfectly coiffed purple tail at Rarity. "Only if that schedule allows for some relaxation."

Rolling her eyes as she disappeared into the kitchen, she replied, "Oh, of course. After that trek through the Everfree, I definitely need a spa day. My own bath, while well appointed, simply isn't enough sometimes." The clatter of pans could be heard as Rarity began to cook, and the other unicorn stretched out on the sofa, relaxing.

The door flew open violently, almost taking the cheerful little bell right off as a rainbow colored streak crashed into the collection of thankfully empty ponyquins. Doppelganger leaped up, glaring at the blue pony trying to disentangle herself. "Rainbow Dash! Whatever do you think you are doing?"

"Uh... whoops?" Chuckling and shaking herself to dislodge a poorly-placed ponyquin hoof, Rainbow strode forth. "I just dropped in to let you know that I dropped those Trottingham orders off and made it back here within two hours. Just so you know. No big deal." She stood tall, boastful smirk on her face as her deep pink eyes regarded the other mare.

Doppelganger couldn't suppress an eyeroll. "Well, while I thank you most graciously, Rainbow, you must know that had there been outfits on those ponyquins, you could have ruined days of work. Please do be more careful when making your entrances, hmm?" Over Rainbow's shoulder, she could see Rarity staring out from the kitchen door and making zipper motions over her mouth. Inclining her head the slightest degree, she shifted her eyes back to Rainbow.

"Sorry Rares, but a pony as awesome as me needs an awesome entrance to go with her."

"Of course." Lighting her horn, she pulled over another stack of orders for Trottingham. "And since you are so awesome, I imagine one more trip out today isn't too much of a bother, is it? I've put bits in the sack on top for you, of course, for all your help."

Rainbow hesitated for half a second before taking the burden. "Psh, of course! I can get this done in... two hours flat. No sweat."

"Thank you ever so much. I truly don't know what I would do without your help." A genuine smile wound across the white mare's face as she stepped forward, gently nuzzling Rainbow's neck. Blushing, Dash rubbed the back of her head with a hoof, looking everywhere but at the other mare.

"Uh, sure, no problem Rares. I better gotalktoyoulaterbye." In less than a second, the blue pegasus was gone.

"And just what was that?" Storming out from the kitchen, Rarity marched directly to her double, sapphire eyes burning into hers.

"Oh, are you jealous, Rarity?" Doppelganger smirked as Rarity blushed once again, eyes widening with surprise.

"A-absolutely not! I-we-are not interested in Rainbow Dash. It's just not fair of you to lead the poor filly on."

"Hmm, I suppose she wouldn't fit too well with our lifestyle anyway." The double looked at the tip of her hoof, as though examining her hooficure. "Why, we'd need someone almost exactly like ourselves, wouldn't we dear?" Her eyes locked with Rarity's, and while her face appeared almost bored, her eyes sparkled with a teasing light.

Rarity turned quickly and stalked off back to the kitchen to hide her furious blushing. "I have no idea what you could be implying. I need to make supper. Be a dear and close up the front, would you?"


As night fell across the quiet little town, one warm light could be seen burning in the Boutique. Rarity sat in her inspiration room, poring over a list of tasks they needed to complete the following day. She chewed on her quill, lost in thought, as Doppelganger lounged across from her, eying the list with only slight interest.

"Now, then, as you are me, I assume you know the gem-finding spell?" Rarity glanced up over the red rims of her glasses.

"Of course, it's what makes us, us, after all." She lit her horn and turned to the cabinet in the corner, squinting. "Yes. I can see the gems in the closet."

Scratching quill to paper, Rarity smiled. "Excellent! I'm going to have you head out with Spike tomorrow to find the gems we need for the Empire dresses. Try to focus on sapphires, amethysts, and rubies, though we'll probably need the other kinds of gems eventually too." Tapping a hoof to her lips, she glanced down the page. "Now then, there's two social activities on our list tomorrow, and I feel it would be most fair if one of us did each. Do you agree?" Receiving a nod, she continued. "There's Mayor Mare's after-birthday party, and our standing spa date with Fluttershy. Now, if it's all the same to you, darling, I would like to take the spa date and you can go to the party."

"That's hardly fair. Have you SEEN the state of my hooves? You've utterly worked me to the BONE today, dear." The double huffed, extending one pristine forehoof for emphasis.

Giving her double a flat look, Rarity sighed. "You came out of that mirror pool fresh as a daisy, while I was covered with mud and grime. While my bath did get a lot of it off, I simply need a deep cleaning. I also need to apologize to Fluttershy for missing our last two dates."

"Then I want to go to the spa after you," Doppelganger huffed, nose upturned. "I'm not just your double, I'm you, and you know how important looking fabulous is to us. We have a reputation to maintain."

Sighing and dragging a hoof down her face in a very un-ladylike fashion, Rarity groaned. "FINE. You may go to the spa after I return from my time there with Fluttershy."

Doppelganger rolled her eyes. "Don't you think it would look a LITTLE strange to be going right back to the spa after you left?"

Rarity just smirked. "I'm Rarity, dear."

"Point."

"In any case, that's all we need to do outside the boutique. Twilight will be stopping by to pick up the Canterlot orders late tomorrow night, and Rainbow will be here to take the last of the Fillydelphia orders around lunchtime. Remember-one of us at a time, especially around Twilight. It simply won't do for them to know I used that mirror pool..." Worrying at the floor with a hoof, Rarity looked up from her paper, large eyes pleading. "You understand, darling?"

Confused, Doppelganger asked, "Whyever must we be so secretive? They all already know about the mirror pool, and Pinkie knows we went there already."

Sighing, the other mare locked eyes with her. "Because, dear, if Twilight found out, she would send you right back to the mirror pool. I'd rather she not do that, especially while we still have orders to complete."

Miffed, Doppelganger stood, beginning to pace, kicking errant bits of fabric out of her path. "I see. So, I am merely a means to an end for you, Rarity? Dragged into existence to work my tail off, only to be popped right back out once you're done with me?" Her dark blue eyes burned into Rarity's, reflecting true hurt underneath the anger. "I guess that's why you didn't even bother to give me a real name, or let me use my birth name?"

"Dear, I... I just..." The other mare backed up slightly as Doppelganger paced closer. "I just thought... that it would be okay..."

Tears were beginning to form in the double's eyes, her voice raising as she spoke. "No, Rarity. We don't even know what happens to the duplicates, do we? They just 'went back to the mirror pool', but what does that mean? Are there a set amount of souls that take on the form of whoever speaks the incantation, or am I truly you? And either way, doesn't going back mean I will be incorporeal? Doesn't that just mean that I would be DEAD? Is that what you want, Rarity? To kill yourself?" By now, she was screaming, nose to nose with Rarity, whose own eyes were filling with tears.

"N-no! I never said... I never said that! I don't know how the mirror pool works, I'm sorry!" Her forehooves came up, covering her face, as Doppelganger hammered in the final nail.

"AND YOU USED IT ANYWAY? What about Sweetie Belle? When she comes back from Mother's, how will you explain this to her?" Affecting her posh accent once more, she spoke in an exaggerated motherly voice, nose firmly in the air. "'Oh, so sorry Sweetie Belle, but even though there's two of us meaning there will always, always be one of us to spend time with you, I need to send this one away and possibly kill her because she's not a real pony!"

With that, the double broke down completely, sobbing freely as she ran from the room, mane and tail flagging out behind her. Rarity crumpled to the floor of her inspiration room, forelegs over her face, bawling as well. Looking up, she caught sight of her reflection in the mirror across the room, and her sobbing redoubled as she curled into a ball.

What... what have I done?

Author's Note:

I have no idea why I do this to myself

I sat down to write the last chapter of a different story and this came out

I apologize for any lack of quality or pacing issues

This was written with the assumption that the duplicate has all the same memories as the original up until they're pulled out of the mirror pool, at which point the memories from then on naturally diverge.

Hope y'all like it!