• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 3,152 Views, 195 Comments

Of Deadlines and Doppelgangers - MidnightDancer



Rarity needs help to complete a large string of orders. Who better to help the picky fashionista than herself?

  • ...
12
 195
 3,152

Deceit and Denial

Morning broke over Ponyville, the rays of Celestia's sun washing over the town. Rarity had always been annoyed, and perhaps a little impressed, that regardless of the millions of miles that separated that star from their humble town, it always had the perfect aim to send a beam of its light directly onto her sleeping eyes. Blinking groggily, she peered out the window beside Sweetie Belle's bed, and snuggled down a bit more into the covers.

In her opinion, dawn was a ridiculous time to be awake.

She rolled over, dark eyes sliding shut once more as her mind began to drift into that fragmented state of half awareness. Something tugged at the corners of her consciousness, something big, something important. Rarity scrunched her eyes shut more firmly, imagining that whatever it was could wait.

Wait.

Why in heaven's name am I in Sweetie Belle's bed?

Sapphire eyes popped open, flooding with the realization of what happened the day before. Me, and me again, and... oh, oh no... All four hooves hit the ground with a resounding clatter, and she shook the blanket off her back before bolting for the door.

Creaking it open, she peered down the hallway to her own bedroom door. It was fast shut, and presumably her double was still asleep. She slipped down the hall quietly, hooves gently descending the stairwell into the main floor of the boutique.

The night before, she had sobbed for an hour or more before dragging herself up to Sweetie Belle's room to sleep. She hadn't known where her double was, nor did she particularly care—if the double felt like causing havoc in her name, she reasoned, she deserved it. There had been some movement downstairs as she drifted off, and her last thought had been a prayer that her duplicate didn't destroy the boutique in a rage.

Standing at the door to her inspiration room, she chided herself. The other pony was her, after all, and she would never destroy such fabulousity. Her eyes widened as she took in the full extent of what her doppelganger had been up to the previous evening. Alabaster hooves stepped forward cautiously, almost reverently, to the ponyquin in the center of the room.

Ever since her visit to Canterlot, Rarity had felt a nagging guilt in the back of her mind about the outfit now sitting, completed, before her. She had meant to finish it, she truly had. Twilight absolutely deserved something gorgeous for her birthday. Her own selfishness had gotten in the way, though, and while Twilight had been thrilled with the plain yellow dress that was made, Rarity had never really forgiven herself.

The guilt washed over her anew, chilling her from her heart down to her hooves even as her cheeks burned with shame. Taking a deep breath, she composed herself, and vowed to appreciate this work. Pacing around the ponyquin, she marveled.

Soft beams of sunlight filtered through the opposite window, framing the ensemble in a heavenly glow. The bodice was a lighter yellow than Rarity remembered, complimented by a small pink bow at the end of the pink neck sash. Above that, a high collar in dark gray rose, the edges trimmed exquisitely in alternating deep orange and pale yellow zig-zags. Her eyes trailed down the back to the magnificent peacock pattern on the back drape, the dominant colors of deep gray and white accented beautifully with more orange and yellow.

The crowning piece stole her breath away. A large and shapely hat, fit for a princess, loomed above her, outfitted smartly in the same colors and pattern as the drape. Four large feathers sprouted from the front brim, over-sized fronds stirring gracefully with every breath of air. They were each a different and contrasting color—red, orange, yellow, and white.

Amazed, she finished her trek around it, stopping with her back to the window, simply staring. Eyes straying to the neckline once more, a small vanilla envelope caught her attention. Lifting it in her magic, she brought it over, breaking the seal and unfolding the small parchment inside.

Rarity,

I shall be entirely honest. I'm simply unsure of what to do with myself now. Every word I said last night was true, and I assure you, I meant it. I am still quite angry with you. I do apologize, however, for yelling at you-that was uncalled for, and I could have handled that better than I did.

That said, it seems we are now stuck with one another, for better or worse. As I do not wish to have any bad blood with me myself us? I have completed Twilight's dress as a peace offering.

Obviously, this situation will require further discussion between us, and being a... a duplicate of you comes with it's own host of issues. However, I was up all night, so I would appreciate it if you allowed me to sleep until such time as I wake up naturally, at which point we may continue our discussion in a much more calm manner.

Yours,

Rarity.

A light sigh escaped her lips as she refolded the parchment and placed it neatly back into its envelope. The pale blue aura of her magic carried it to the cabinet, where it was set upon a high shelf. It would be terribly awkward if anyone ran across that note.

Her delicate brow furrowed as she cast her eyes to the floor, turning the situation over in her mind. There had to be a way to fix this, there just had to. I may have gone into this half-cocked, but I'm going to make sure to be very, very careful from here on out. She—well, I—deserve no less. There must be a way to keep her here... White hoof tapping the floor nervously, she glanced around, eyes passing over things without really seeing them.

Deep blue eyes fixed on the dress once more, and the day's first smile graced her lips.

Twilight.


Twilight Sparkle was not a mare that enjoyed rising early, especially not on mornings when she awoke with her face on a book. Shaking herself groggily, she glanced up at the clock. Seven in the morning was far too early to be awake! So why was her internal alarm going crazy? Violet eyes drifted to the calendar above her desk, and she paused for one perfect second before turning into a whirlwind of activity.

"SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE! Get up! We need to pack for the train ride!" Dashing cheerfully from place to place and gathering quills and parchment, Twilight grinned. "Come on!"

Rustling at the top of the stairs announced the arrival of the sleepy little dragon, rubbing his eyes and staring flatly at Twilight. "C'mon, Twi, the train doesn't even leave for another ten hours. I'm not even going this time. Can't we just relax and have some breakfast first? And I was having the nicest dream, too..." he grumbled, trailing off as he plodded heavily down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Don't be silly, Spike—ten hours isn't nearly enough time to sort through all of the books I want to bring! Now, should I bring Aerospace Anomalies or Yaks and You?" She trotted to the kitchen, floating the books in front of the bleary eyed dragon who was just trying to make some toast.

He was saved from trying to answer by the sound of the front door opening and a crystal clear voice calling out, "Hellooooo? Twilight, dear, are you awake?"

A flash of tiny purple lightning was her response as her little admirer zipped up to her. "Hi Rarity! Boy, you're sure up early! Can I take your bags? Get you a drink?" Hands clasped to his chest and hopping from foot to foot, his hopeful eyes shone up at the white unicorn, who chuckled indulgently and gave him a friendly nuzzle.

"Oh, my Spikey-Wikey! I would adore a cup of tea about now, actually." A bat of her large blue eyes later, and Spike was off to the kitchen, singing to himself as he put on the kettle.

Chuckling, the violet unicorn trotted forth to welcome her friend. "Hey, Rarity! I thought you would be cooped up working on your designs all day!"

Rarity's eyes widened ever so slightly as she coughed into her hoof. "Ah, well, we all need a break from time to time, do we not? I had something to ask you, actually." She settled down on the nearby couch, taking her tea from the returning Spike in her magic. Pawing unconsciously at the tan fabric below her, she turned back to Twilight. "Do you happen to know any more... permanent ways to modify how a pony looks?"

Settling down on the couch beside her, Twilight cocked her head. "You mean like changing coat color?"

"I mean everything, dear—coat, eyes, mane, tail... cutie mark..." She trailed off, pasting a smile on her face before continuing. "So! Do you have any spells of that sort?"

Still looking adorably confused, Twilight looked up to the rafters in thought. "Can I ask what it's for? I can't imagine you wanting to change a thing about yourself," she teased.

Blushing slightly, Rarity giggled. "Oh no, my dear. You see, I have a client, a very important client, and she asked for me to find and perform the spell, that's all!" As the incredibly weak lie spilled from her lips, she forced a smile and sipped some tea, as casually as she could.

"But... why would anypony need to change their cutie mark? I don't know, Rarity. This seems a little weird." Purple hooves crossed in front of her chest, eyeing the other mare with suspicion.

Mind racing, quailing under the other mare's questioning gaze, Rarity clutched at the last straw she had. "I—well, Twilight, I didn't want to tell you this, because client confidentiality is very important to me." She huffed, affecting a conspiratorial air as she leaned forward. "However, if you MUST know, my client is a very important independent private investigator that needs to go undercover for a few months." Awful as she felt about the lie, she had to admit that Twilight was adorable when she was excited. Purple eyes lit up excitedly as she clopped her hooves together with glee, bouncing slightly on the couch beside her friend.

"Oh my gosh! A real life private eye? You know one? Do I know her? What's her name? Oooooh, this is so excit—" A rather tasty scone interrupted her quite suddenly, courtesy of a small purple claw. Spike stared up at his adoptive sister, shaking his head as she munched the pastry viciously, cheeks flushing.

"Thank you, Spike. Now, I am afraid I cannot divulge any details about her beyond her gender. I'll be happy to pay you for this, as she has paid me in advance for the service." Sitting back, the small porcelain teacup rose to her lips once more as she watched carefully for Twilight's reaction.

Pondering the situation, Twilight finally looked at the clock and then back to her friend, and sighed. "Alright, Rarity. The only spell I know to do that is an enchantment on an object. It's the same spell that Princess Celestia has placed on all of the Royal Guard armor to make them all look the same, but you can change the spell to suit your needs. All we need is something she can wear, like a necklace, or something like that."

Rising to her hooves, Rarity began rifling through her saddlebags with her magic, trying not to disturb the dress inside. "Hmmm... A-ha!" With a flourish, she presented a lovely silver chain. "It's a bit plain, but will this work?"

Floating it to herself, Twilight turned it back and forth, thinking. "Well, I don't see why not. Now, for this enchantment, I'll need you to tell me the details-the coat color, the mane color, and so forth so that I can get this set up for you."

Purple hair flew back and forth as the white mare shook her head violently, taking the chain back into her own magic. "Oh, no no no no Twilight, I'm sorry, but I cannot give that information. Can't you simply teach me the spell, so that I perform it at my leisure? I'm not even sure she'd like this chain, I should probably check..."

Glancing back to the clock again, Twilight tapped her hooves impatiently. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry to be so short, but I don't really have a lot of time to mess around today. I need to pack and get things in order before I get on the train. I'll write the spell down for you, how's that?"

"That would be wonderful, dear." Relieved, she relaxed back into her seat, finally truly enjoying her jasmine tea as it slipped down her throat. "OH! Twilight, I nearly forgot! I have a gift for you, of sorts." Levitating her saddlebags over in front of her, she pulled out the completed birthday dress, filling it out with her magic until it looked like a ghost was wearing it. Rotating it gently in front of her, she beamed over at her friend proudly. "This was the dress I intended to make for your birthday, darling. I finally finished it last night. Do you like it?"

Jaw dropping, the other mare paced up to the gently swirling gown, eyes shining. One hoof raised and quivering, a smile finally wound it's way across her face. "Rarity, it's... it's beautiful! A lot more fancy than what I normally wear, but still! This is gorgeous! Thank you so much!" Violet forelegs encased Rarity in a warm and genuine hug, and the white mare smiled with relief.

"Oh, Twilight, you don't know how happy that makes me. Oh! And here, the bits for the spell." She levitated over a small bag while folding the dress in midair, presenting both in a neat little package to her friend.

Still beaming, Twilight took them and trotted to her table. "Let me get that spell worked out for you."


I shouldn't have shown her that chain. I'll have to find a new piece to enchant now instead. Well, no huge loss. Maybe I can just put a pendant on it. Lost in her musings, Rarity entered her boutique once again. Flipping the sign to 'open', she slid off her saddlebags and put them in the large wardrobe to the right. Realizing that she hadn't eaten yet, she trotted towards the kitchen.

As she passed the stairs, she paused. Perhaps I ought to check on her. The poor dear had quite a night. And I know me well enough to know that I can't sleep that well when the sun is up. Changing course, the white mare slipped quietly up the stairs and into the hall, in front of her bedroom door. Not a sound could be heard from the other side of the door, and Rarity shifted nervously on her hooves. Oh, what am I doing? It's ME, no reason to be... afraid?

The thought gave her pause, and she froze, still standing before the familiar-but now suddenly imposing-wooden door. Am I afraid? Of myself? That can't be right. Her head shook briskly, clearing out the errant thoughts. Of course not, that's simply ridiculous. There is no reason to be behaving like a schoolfilly sent to the principal's office. Pull yourself together, Rarity. Pony up, as Rainbow Dash would say. Thus bolstered, one gleaming hoof rose to knock gently upon the door.

"Darling, are you awake?" Biting her lip, she swiveled her ears forward to catch any sound.

A rustling noise, followed by a yawn. "Mmm. I didn't sleep all that well, so I am certainly awake now." Hoofsteps could be heard approaching the door, and Rarity stepped back as the door was opened, heart quickening and dark eyes widening at the sight before her.

Doppelganger stood in the doorway, sapphire eyes half lidded. The mane they shared was loose, cascading nearly to her knees. Little tufts stuck up here and there, giving her the quintessential bedhead. She eyed Rarity carefully, sleepy yet still sharp minded.

Rarity had rarely ever seen herself in such a state of disarray. I have to admit, though, that I may need to go out casually with my mane down, it's actually quite sexy— Blinking, she shook her head once more, and smiled. "Well dear, I wanted to apologize for last night. I was entirely out of line." She stepped forward, putting one foreleg around her double, pulling her close. "You are a real pony. I should have thought about that before bringing you out of the pool, but I didn't, and I'm truly sorry."

Tears began to stain the double's pristine white coat as Rarity clung to her almost desperately, all the bottled emotion from last night coming back in a furious tsunami of confusion and sadness. Doppelganger just stood quietly, holding her until the worst of the storm had passed. "Rarity, it's—well, it's not alright, but it can be. We can get through this."

Pulling back and wiping her face carefully, Rarity smiled. "I think I have just the thing to help, too. May I come in?"

Stepping aside, the other mare nodded. "It's your room too darling, of course."

Eight white hooves thudded mutely on the plush carpeting as they approached the vanity, blue magic enveloping the ornate jewelry box atop it. Rarity pulled it to her and opened it, searching through for an appropriate piece of jewelry. "Now, I had Twilight teach me a spell to change your entire appearance, including your cutie mark. I'll enchant a nice, sturdy bit of jewelry with it, and our worries are more or less over." Rarity's eyes landed on a particular piece of jewelry, and she smiled to herself.

Doppelganger froze as a lovely and familiar golden pendant was plucked from the box. The circular piece was inlaid with mother of pearl, and displayed a golden unicorn bust in the center, rubies for its eyes. Silver filigree snaked around the outside rim, weaving like vines with the gold to create a beautiful contrast. Rarity's eyes softened as she turned it lazily in her magic, admiring how it caught the light and seemed to hold it, and she glanced to her double. "Is this something you'd be willing to wear out? It would keep the disguise on you."

Still staring, now wide awake, Doppelganger pointed reverently with one hoof. "That... darling, that's the necklace that..." She trailed off, looking to the other mare once more with surprise, tears beginning to threaten to fall from her eyes.

"Yes, the necklace Grandmother gave me—us—before she passed. She was your grandmother too, dear, so if you would like to have it, it's all yours—enchantment or not." Smiling warmly, she slid the necklace over the stunned mare's head, soft eyes searching those of her double's. "Is it alright, darling?"

Tears flowing freely, the double nodded, feeling the cool pendant brush her fur above her heart. "This is incredibly kind of you. I just... I don't know what to say, except thank you." Her normally guarded eyes were fully open and honest, filled with gratitude.

Still with her small smile, Rarity nodded. "It's no trouble. What is mine, is yours. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were the duplicate, having all the memories and knowledge and then not being allowed to do anything with it. The least I can do is give you something special." The two locked eyes for a moment, and something electric seemed to pass between them, lighting a fire in both of their chests and faces. Doppelganger moved forward first, almost hesitantly, gentle hooves brushing through the other mare's curly mane as she brought her muzzle to her neck. Rarity mirrored the action on the other side, and as they nuzzled one another and pulled apart, they crossed horns for a moment, eye to eye.

Rarity, face aflame, stepped back first, back hoof tapping nervously. "So, ah... the enchantment. I need to know what coat color you want, mane color, eye color, and what your new cutie mark can be since we simply can't share one."

Own face still blushing madly, Doppelganger nodded. "A pale peach coat, if you please, and a light beige mane would be wonderful. Green eyes, I suppose." Tapping her chin, she mused over cutie marks. "I AM rather attached to this mark, as it IS mine as well."

"But of course, darling! It can be very similar, but not the same—we can't risk too many questions."

"Mmm, I suppose. A trio of heart shaped fire rubies, then." She nodded decisively, and looked to Rarity. "Will that be alright? It's not too complicated, is it?"

Smiling, Rarity merely lit her horn. After spending the walk back to the boutique reading and re-reading the spell, she had it memorized. Tendrils of her magic reached out and encased their grandmother's pendant, pulsing gently. A white flash of light erupted from the necklace, then faded, leaving what looked to be an unchanged pendant behind.

As Rarity finished the spell, the pendant itself sent out it's own white magic tendrils, wrapping Doppelganger up and obscuring her from view. Heedless of the papers blowing around the room from the spell, Rarity watched in awe and wonder as the magic unwound from the bottom up. Peach legs appeared, fetlocks unshorn, followed by her torso and part of a wavy tan mane. The fire ruby cutie mark appeared perfectly on her flank, and the magic unwound completely.

Opening her brilliant green eyes for the first time, the double looked around. "Did it work?" Peering back at her own flank, a grin appeared on her muzzle as she danced hoof to hoof. "Oh, I look marvelous! Well done, Rarity!"

Grinning right back and just as excited, the white mare gestured to her. "Do go on, darling, and name yourself."

Pausing for only a moment, she nodded. "Hello, Rarity. My name is Scarlet, and it's ever so nice to meet you." She proffered a peach hoof to her.

Rarity took it, locking eyes with her with all sincerity. "Welcome, Scarlet. I'm so glad you're here."

The newly christened Scarlet pulled Rarity to her, the two meeting in a fierce tangle of limbs and fur and mane. They held each other like that for awhile, baptizing each other with their tears in this strange ritual of understanding and compassion. Some time later, Rarity pulled back, wiping Scarlet's face tenderly as said pony composed herself, a few sniffles being the only remaining indication of the raw emotion in the room.

"Come now, darling. We have an appointment at the spa to keep, do we not? I'm sure Fluttershy will be thrilled to meet you." Rarity turned to the door, blue eyes looking fondly back over her shoulder at the newborn pony.

Scarlet smiled.

Author's Note:

It's really hard to switch between writing a story in English and carrying on in PMs on a different site in Polish. Augh, my brain.

So when I started this fic, I completely was not expecting to be featured for it. I'm really glad everyone is enjoying it (for the most part) :)

I tend to just kind of write whatever comes out and then post it with no editing or anything like that, and chapters are generally written in about two hours and then posted. That's my own bad habit, so I apologize for any mistakes and whatnot.

I regret nothing etc