• Published 31st Jan 2012
  • 1,343 Views, 9 Comments

Apple In The Sky - XionFate



Feelings fly and tempers flare as Applejack and Rainbow Dash find new feelings for each other

  • ...
6
 9
 1,343

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash woke up screaming, sweat dripping from her mane.

“Ugh, these stupid images just won’t leave me alone.” Rainbow Dash said to herself as she hopped out of bed. “Maybe I just need to get out for a bit, flying always helps me calm down.”

Rainbow Dash whispered a short goodbye to Tank as she passed by him and then took off out the window. Outside the wind was light, but it pounded into Rainbow Dash as she flew, the feeling like thousands of tiny needles burying themselves in her soul. Her nerves were fried, she was tired, and her head was a mess of things that she failed to understand. She wanted to make sense of it all, put all the pieces together and look at the big picture. The problem was not all of the pieces had been found, and many holes were left in the picture. It left her feeling empty and incomplete, a feeling she was tired of by this point.

Rainbow Dash thought back to where it had all started, where this roller-coaster of feelings had began. It was with a thought of Applejack, and how strong and good-hearted she was. In moments like these it was common of Rainbow Dash to place the blame on the other party, make them the victim so she did not have to feel guilty for what had happened. This time though it had been no ponies fault, just a series of unfortunate and consequential events. This helped to soothe Rainbow’s mind, but her conscious was still wrought with guilt. She knew where the fault deserved to be placed, and she had come to accept it, even if no pony would place it on her.

Rainbow Dash flew over Ponyville for hours, taking in the serenity of the sleeping town below her. Very few ponies were up and the silence was as beautiful as a waterfall glimmering in the moonlight. After flying over Ponyville for a little longer Rainbow Dash decided to head towards Canterlot. She knew the princess would still be awake and hoped that a council with her would help to ease her troubled mind.

Ever since the defeat of Discord Rainbow Dash had stopped speaking with the princess all together. She blamed it on her rebellious side, always saying that she did not need to be led by a stuck-up princess like Celestia. The real reason behind the disconnect between Celestia and Rainbow Dash was that they never truly got along. Princess Celestia was royalty, and had made it a habit to parade this fact any time she was able to. As time went on Rainbow Dash found herself more and more disgusted by the needless flaunting of power and tried her best to keep away from it. Rainbow Dash did want to be friends with the princess, that fact was a certainty; it seemed though that every time she tried her ego got the best of her.

Rainbow Dash willed herself to remove the thoughts about the princess from her head and went back to focusing on her flying. She was nearing the castle and she hoped not to wake anypony up with her entrance. There was an eerie silence over Canterlot, and it felt distorted and foreign in the peaceful bliss of the sleeping city. Canterlot never slept, there was always something going on in town. From fashion shows to art galleries there was almost always some festivity to partake in at any time. This silence and peacefulness was uncommon, and it caught Rainbow Dash off guard.

Suddenly an all to familiar pain erupted inside Rainbow’s head. Images began to form at the corners of her mind, and she tried desperately to push them away. The pain grew sharper and more focused, penetrating her deepest thoughts and leaving her mentally paralyzed. The images swirled like miniature tornadoes, their dreary scenes lining up in a chronologically disturbed manor. As the pain grew more fierce Rainbow Dash succumbed to it and allowed the images, now one long and harrowing dream, to play itself out for her.

The setting of this dream was not in the Apple family home, but instead in a cemetery on the outskirts of Ponyville. The apple family was standing in a circle surrounding a small coffin, the letters A and B etched into the rough cut wood. There was a priest pony at the head of the coffin delivering a solemn sermon while the apple’s stood and cried. It was a scene unlike any Rainbow Dash had experienced before, and she struggled to escape it.

As the priest pony finished his sermon he turned to the rest of the Apple family and asked them if they would like to say their final goodbyes. Each went down the line speaking a few words that Rainbow Dash could not hear then burying their heads in their hooves and crying. When Applejack’s time had come Rainbow Dash was able to hear the words she spoke, and she soon came to regret that she could.

“Our sweet little apple Bloom, taken at such a young age. Ya always knew how ta make us smile, and never ran short on cute stories.” Applejack said, choking back tears at every word. “Ya lived free, and ya weren’t afraid ta take risks. Ah love ya sugarcube, and next time we’re together, we’re gonna make the sweetest jam anypony ever did taste.”

Rainbow Dash lost it, her wings and mind unable to cooperate any longer. She had been able to handle the previous dream that Applejack had had, but this was much deeper than the one before it. Tears flowed freely from the blue Pegasus ponies eyes as she made a futile effort to stay in the air. If she could reach the castle then she could talk with Celestia and possibly find an answer to this whole situation.

Rainbow Dash would not be so lucky as to make it to the castle though. The lack of sleep mixed with the overwhelming power of Applejack’s dream was too much for her and she gave up. Her body fell limp and she began a ghastly plummet towards the ground below her. As she approached the forest below a pleasant thought found its way into her head. Now she could finally get a good nights sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applejack awoke quickly, hoping that by doing so she would be able to block out the dream she had just had. It was early morning, and the crows were singing their morning song. The sun was just rising above the trees in the horizon, and it glazed all in its path with a beautiful golden hue. It was a morning like no other, rare in the peaceful town of Ponyville. Applejack only wished that she could relax and enjoy such a morning.

“Ah really got ta get ta sleep earlier. These dreams ah’m havin’ are starting ta get ridiculous.” Applejack said as she rolled over and sat up in her bed.

“Sis, you’re awake!” Apple Bloom said as she hopped up on the bed beside Applejack.

Yeah, ah’m up.” Applejack replied. She took a moment to swallow hard and regain her composure at the sight of Apple Bloom, still perfectly alive, beside her. “It’s so great to see you Apple Bloom.” She wrapped Apple Bloom in a tight hug and squeezed her hard.

“Aw, stop it sis, you’re embarrassin’ me.” Apple Bloom said, her cheeks coloring brightly.

“Well ah’m sorry Apple Bloom, ah just missed ya is all.” Applejack lied, hoping to hide the pain in her voice. “Ah missed ya too Big Mac, it’s nice ta see ya again as well.”

“Eeyup.” Big Macintosh uttered with a smile. Applejack took it to mean “ah missed ya too sis.” and she continued on.

“So me and Rainbow Dash made quite a mess of the orchard yesterday.” Applejack said with a nervous smile.

“Don’t worry bout it sis, me an Big Mac will clean it all up.” Apple Bloom replied excitedly.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said haughtily in the background.

“Well then thank y’all. It means a lot ta me ta have such wonderful family as y’all.” Applejack said genuinely, for the first time in over twenty four hours.

“Well, we best be getting back ta the orchard, we got quite a mess ta clean up. We’ll be seein’ ya back on the farm.” Apple Bloom exclaimed as she raced out of the tiny hospital room.

“Ya sure it’s not too much trouble ta clean up the orchard?” Applejack asked Big Macintosh, keeping her tone soft and polite.

“Eeyup, ya just need ta stay off the farm for a bit. It’ll do ya some good ta take a break, ya wouldn’t take one otherwise.” Big Macintosh said smiling as he turned and left the room.

Applejack took a minute to think about what Big Macintosh had said. Had it really been that long since she had taken some time off from the farm? She could have swore it was just a few weeks ago that she took a day off. She thought back and realized that she had not taken a day off, but the farm was just dead on that day. It really had been a long time since she last took a break from the farm. It was her life though, her cutie mark even showed it. She loved the farm with all her heart, and she never wanted to take time away from it. After a few more minutes of thinking on it she had made a decision.

“Ah guess Big Mac is right. Ah really need some time off, and ah really need ta go talk to Twilight.” Applejack sighed as she hopped out of the bed and put her hat back on. Applejack knew that Twilight could answer her questions, and that was the first place she planned to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash awoke to the sight of a tiny, white bunny staring at her. There was a scent of pine in the air and a soft breeze blew quietly around her. Rainbow Dash took a minute to gather herself and then hopped up to survey her surroundings.

“Where am I?” Rainbow Dash asked herself as she looked around.

Rainbow Dash was in a room, it was something that looked like a living room but smelled like a tree. There were birds sitting on the window sill and the bunnies and mice were playing on the floor at her hooves. It was a wonderland of cuteness rolled into one vibrant room, and it did not take Rainbow Dash long to figure out where she was.

“Hey Fluttershy, I’m awake.” Rainbow Dash called out as she hovered through the house.

“Oh, you are? That’s just wonderful.” Fluttershy whispered quietly as she appeared from around the corner. She hovered over in front of Rainbow Dash and planted her hooves on the ground underneath her.

“Yeah, so how long have I been out?” Rainbow Dash asked Fluttershy as she placed her hooves back on the ground.

“Well, you’ve been out for awhile, its around mid-morning now.” Fluttershy replied softly.

“Wow, I’ve been out for awhile. Oh, one more question, how did you find me?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Well, I heard a loud crash in the forest a little way out and went to see what it was.” Fluttershy said.

“Really? wait, what were you doing up that late anyway?” Rainbow Dash questioned Fluttershy.

“Well, I wasn’t awake. The sound of you landing woke me up. I was curious as to what happened so I went to investigate.” Fluttershy whispered dimly, lowering her head to protect herself from Rainbow Dash. “I hope you aren’t mad, I’m sorry if I made you mad.”

“It’s okay Fluttershy, I’m not mad.” Rainbow Dash replied. hopeing that she had not inadvertently upset Fluttershy in any way.

“Oh that’s good, I was worried you would be.” Fluttershy whispered, raising her head to look at Rainbow Dash again.

A smile crossed Rainbow Dashes face as Fluttershy looked up at her. It was funny that Fluttershy thought she had upset Rainbow Dash even though she had just saved her life. If anything rainbow Dash should be eternally grateful to Fluttershy, and she vowed to give the idea a try. At the same time though Rainbow dash was filled with remorse, and she figured she had failed at not letting it sneak into her words. There was still uncertainty between her and Applejack after the accident in the orchard, and she wanted to speak with Applejack about her most recent dream. Watching loved ones die was always hard, whether it be in a dream or not, and she wanted to be there to comfort Applejack.

“Hey, I’d love to stay a little longer Fluttershy, but I really need to go take care of something.” Rainbow Dash said as she began to trot towards the door.

“Okay, I understand. Applejack did seem a bit distressed yesterday, you should probably go talk to her.” Fluttershy said, a slight smile playing on her lips.

Rainbow Dash stopped for a moment to let that last statement from Fluttershy sink in. How was it that Fluttershy knew about her and Applejack? It did not take much thinking for Rainbow Dash to figure it out, and she felt stupid when she did. Fluttershy had been in the hospital room when Applejack had told Rainbow Dash to leave. It was not that Fluttershy knew about Rainbow Dashes feelings, she was just worried that Applejack was mad at Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash chuckled and walked outside into the open. She stretched her wings and then took off; she was like a bullet leaving a barrel, and for a faint second Fluttershy’s jaw dropped.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applejack arrived at Twilight Sparkles library near the start of the afternoon. The heat of the day had set in and it was taking its toll on Applejack. Yes, she was a farmpony who spent lots of time working on the farm in the summer, but the heat today was different. It was a choking, suffocating heat, and there were moments where Applejack had found it hard to breathe. After taking a moment to regain her breath Applejack knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Twilight asked professionally from the other side of the door.

“It’s your good pal Applejack, now can ah come in?” Applejack replied.

“Oh, of course.” the door slowly opened revealing a purple unicorn with magic flowing from her horn. Twilight stepped out from in front of the doorway and allowed Applejack to enter. “So what brings you to the library today?”

“Well, ah got the day off and decided ta stop by and say hello.” Applejack said.

“Oh, that’s nice. I was just finishing up practice on a new spell.” Twilight Sparkle replied enthusiastically. Applejack looked at her with a wondering expression and she went on. “It’s a growth spell. It makes fruit grow to larger sizes than they normally could grow on their own.”

“Sounds a lot like that spell Discord used during his last visit.” Applejack remarked.

“That’s exactly the spell I modeled this one after. The goal of this spell is to increase food supply and output here in Ponyville!” Twilight exclaimed excitedly.

“Well it sounds great. Can ah see a demonstration?” Applejack asked.

“Why of course, do you happen to have an apple?” Twilight asked Applejack.

“Now what member of the Apple family doesn’t carry an apple on em’?” Applejack retorted as she pulled an apple out of her saddlebag. She set it down on the table and took a step back.

“Alright, here goes nothing.” Twilight said as magic began to build at the tip of her horn. After a few seconds of preparation a purple beam shot off of Twilights horn and into the apple resting on the table. Nothing happened at first and Applejack believed that Twilights spell had failed. After a few seconds a purple static surrounded the apple and it grew to twice its original size.

“Oh my, that’s a lot bigger than I expected it to be.” Twilight said surprised.

“It’s too big for me ta know what ta do with.” Applejack uttered out in amazement. “Apples like this would more than cover the monthly apple output. You’ve really outdone yourself this time.”

Well thanks Applejack, that means a lot to me.” Twilight said as a streak of red shot across her face.

“No problem, anytime.” Applejack replied with a smile. “So, there’s somethin’ I’ve been meaning to ask ya.”

“Yeah? what’s up?” Twilight said as she placed the apple she had grown in a glass case.

“Well, ah wanted to ask ya about somethin’ that happened yesterday.” Applejack said.

“Hmmmm, about why you sent Rainbow Dash out of the room I presume?” Twilight replied, taking a seat at the table.

“Yeah, somethin’ along those lines.” Applejack replied as she took a seat beside Twilight.

Over the next couple of minutes Applejack opened up like never before. She told Twilight things that she could not tell anypony else, and it shocked her that the words flowed with such ease. She explained the dream she had had, replaying every last second in her head. She told Twilight about what Rainbow Dash had said at the hospital, and even about her feelings towards Rainbow Dash. By the time she had finished she was shaking, and she hoped that Twilight had been able to make sense of it all.

“Well, that’s definitely an interesting occurrence.” Twilight said thoughtfully.

“Ah guess it is.” Applejack replied. “Do ya think ya can tell me how it happened?”

“Well, I’ll have to do some research. I can’t promise you anything but I’ll do my best.” Twilight put forth, hoping to keep Applejacks spirits up.

“Thanks Twilight, it would mean the world to me.” Applejack said appreciatively. “Ah do have another question for you, that is if y’all are willing to hear it.”

“Well, i don’t see where it could hurt anything. what is it?” Twilight asked, shifting her weight to rest her head on her hoof.

“Ah was wondering if ya could use that spell that gives ponies wings on me.” Applejack said.

The look on Twilights face at the question Applejack had just asked was one of astonishment. Applejack did not know how to take the look, and just sat there waiting for an answer. It took Twilight a few seconds to make it back to reality, but when she did she had an answer for Applejack.

“I wish I could Applejack, but the spell only works on unicorns.” Twilight said solemnly.

“Are ya sure? Have ya tested it on any earth ponies yet?” Applejack asked hopefully.

“Yes, I’m afraid I have. Pinkie Pie was all to willing to test the spell when she saw that it worked on Rarity.” Twilight retorted. “It didn’t work, and that’s why we went up in the balloon.”

“Well, ah thank ya for tryin’ sugarcube. Ah guess ah’ll just go try somewhere else.” Applejack said as she galloped out the door.

“I hope she doesn’t do anything stupid.” Twilight muttered as she went back to practicing her magic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Rainbow Dash trotted through Ponyville she took some time to enjoy the sights and sounds. Ponyville was a very rural city, stuck in a valley between Manehattan and Canterlot. This meant that there were not any famous celebrities like hoity toity in Ponyville, and there were also no famous athletes either....yet... . It was a quiet, peaceful city, and Rainbow Dash enjoyed being a part of it.

Rainbow Dash arrived at Twilights library shortly after Applejacks departure. It was late afternoon and the sun had begun its descent towards the earth. It was a breathtaking sight, and Rainbow Dash took the opportunity to soak it in. After a few seconds Rainbow Dash gave two powerful knocks on the door to the library and waited patiently for an answer.

“Yes? Who is it?” Twilight asked, annoyed, from the other side of the door.

“It’s Rainbow Dash, now will you hurry up and open the door?” Rainbow Dash replied brashly.

Alright, alright.” Twilight said as she opened the door. “How may I help you this evening?”

“Have you seen Applejack today?” Rainbow Dash asked as she muscled her way into the library and began to search the room.

“Yes, she was here a few hours ago, why?” Twilight retorted.

“Darn it!” Rainbow Dash said as she landed and stamped at the ground.

“Why do you want to know?” Twilight asked as she returned to the center of the room.

“I need to talk to her.” Rainbow Dash responded unhappily.

“Ah, I suppose it’s about yesterday’s events?” Twilight asked as she levitated a piece of paper and quill up onto the table.

“Yeah, I really want to clear things up between us. I also need to talk to her about...something else.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“Hmmm, well I hope you can find her. you guys seem like you have a lot to work out.” Twilight said optimistically.

Thanks Twi, but I’m here for another reason as well. I wanted to ask you something too.” Rainbow Dash said, putting an emphasis on the word you.

“No kidding, what is it?” Twilight asked the blue Pegasus in front of her.
“Well, yesterday after the accident between me and Applejack, I went back to pick her hat up. Things were going great, and then I felt a sharp pain in my head. Images started to appear in my head involving Applejack; they felt sort of like a dream.” Rainbow Dash said wearily. “I was hoping that maybe you had an answer for what it was.”

Twilight chuckled lightly and then spoke. “You know, Applejack was asking me about that exact same thing.” She slowly moved the quill from one side of the table to the other and lined the edge of the paper up with the edge of the table.

“She was? What did you tell her?” Rainbow Dash asked as hope exploded into her eyes.

“I told her I would have to do some research. It’s a rare occurrence when something like this happens, so there isn’t much in the books about it.” Twilight replied calmly.

“Ugh, but that could take forever!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, kicking her hind legs out behind her.

“You know Rainbow Dash, patience is a virtue. If you want something like this done, then you have to be willing to wait on it.” Twilight uttered thoughtfully.

Yeah, yeah, no need to get phili-filo-pilosofti- don’t get smart with me. I guess I’ll just go and look for Applejack some more.” Rainbow Dash said as she made her way to the door.

“Good luck Rainbow Dash, I hope you can find her out there. Be careful though, it’s getting late.” Twilight called out as she picked up the quill and started writing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The walk through the everfree forest was a long one, and it always left Applejack feeling insecure. when she left Twilight Sparkles place without a way to make herself fly she decided to head to Zecoras’. Zecora always had a brew cooking, and could help the townsponies with nearly any problem. When Applejack arrived Zecora was already waiting for her outside.

“Ah it’s just as I did forsee, my orange pony friend has come to see me.” Zecora said as Applejack trotted up.

“Hey there Zecora, how ya doin’?” Applejack asked lightly.

“I’m as fine as the beautiful cresent moon; and now I’ll ask, what about you?” the zebra paced back and forth awaiting an answer.

“Ah, straight to the point. Ah always did admire that about ya Zecora.” Applejack mused playfully, a smile on her face.
“What is it you need miss applejack? I’m sure I can help you with whatever it is, does it have something to do with Mr. Big Mac?” Zecora asked as she entered her hut.

“No, it’s not about Big mac, or any of the Apple family for that matter. Its actually got ta do with a certain ability ah’d like ta have.” Applejack said as she entered the hut behind Zecora.

“Ah, so is it super pony strength you wish? Or maybe the skill to swim like a fish.” Zecora asked as she began to siphon through different concoctions.

“Actually, ah was hopin’ ya could give me the ability ta fly.” Applejack replied sternly.

Zecora froze for a moment, her mind lost in deep thought. When she did return she stepped over to the vial box and reached in. After several unsuccessful attempts at getting the right vial she finally pulled the right one out and handed it to Applejack.

“Here in my hoof is the brew that you seek, but be warned it is not for a pony whose will is weak.” Zecora said grimly. “If you drink this concoction then flight you shall have, but in return an ability of yours you will no longer have.”

“What do ya mean Zecora?” Applejack asked apprehensively.

“In order to have the flight which you desire, you must give up the power in your hind hooves, your fire.” Zecora remarked as she turned her head from Applejack.

“So ya mean ta tell me that in order ta fly ah have to give up my earth pony strength?” Applejack asked gravely.

That’s exactly what I meant to say, now if you don’t mind I bid you good day.” Zecora pushed the vial into Applejacks hoof and then shut the door to her hut.

Applejack stood there, thinking over the choice that lay before her. Give up her strength? The mere thought of that idea was insane! Yet something inside applejack told her to do it. Applejack cared deeply for Rainbow Dash, and she wanted nothing more than to prove that she was worth it. The farm was important to Applejack, but not as important as Rainbow Dash. With a gulp Applejack swallowed the contents of the vial and closed her eyes. From here on out there would be no going back, it was all or nothing.

Comments ( 5 )

O_O
give us moar?

'Moon' and 'you' do not rhyme. Plus, you rhymed 'have' with 'have'.

190593 Well, there's nothing wrong with rhyming the same word, and as for moon and you, Zecora is extremely difficult to write. I'm sorry it wasn't perfect. I thank you for the criticism though, any little bit helps.

Yeah.... So AJ basically just gave up one of her most defining traits, her place at the farm, part of who she is without barely a second thought.

Sorry, that's a bit to much of a stretch for me.

192801 I understand how that can be a bit of a stretch, but there is good reason for why I wrote it this way. Too often we see people rush into relationships and love without thinking, often times making reckless decisions with no thought that lead to terrible consequences. My goal was to capture this dilema in the story, and show the effects it can have. I'm sorry if it seems like too much of a stretch for you, but thanks for the criticism, ever little bit helps.

Login or register to comment