• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 14,888 Views, 1,011 Comments

Research Project: Sparkle - Axquirix



Crossover between XCOM: Enemy Unknown and MLP. Twilight appears on Earth, shortly after the alien war. How will she cope with being taken prisoner? How will XCOM cope with the single most powerful psion they've ever encountered?

  • ...
58
 1,011
 14,888

06:00, 25th February, 2016

0600, 25th February, 2016

Dr Richards was whistling as he entered Chamber A3. He’d been briefed on the results of Dr Vahlen’s little experiment yesterday, and felt a lot better about being in a small, enclosed cell with an unrestrained alien.

He went through security protocol with the two technicians at the desk smoothly.

Sure, the extra security measures were still in place, but the alien had made no attempt to escape or communicate with the outside world for the entire time the damping field had been lowered.

He nodded to the two men guarding the door as it slid open.

The only reason both men even needed to be there was that the protocol hadn’t changed, most likely. If the X-014 had to self-repair frequently, it couldn’t be much of a physical threat. Coupled with the damping field that hadn’t had a single hiccup since being installed, and a behaviour that indicated X-014-1 didn’t even want to escape, the alien could easily be contained by standard base security personnel, surely.

He twirled his pen in his hand as he stepped into the cell. “Good Morning, Sparkles,” he greeted the creature. Protocol wasn’t the only thing that didn’t change overnight.

“Good morning, Doctor Richards.”

The pen hit the ground with a clatter, forgotten. Dr Richards’ eyes leapt up from his clipboard, staring wide-eyed at the purple alien before him.

X-014-1 was sat back on its hindquarters, with its forelegs extended to the ground, instead of its usual lying down position. It was regarding him with its oversized eyes, calmly studying his face. Its mouth was closed, but the corners were slightly upturned.

It was… smiling?

The mouth opened.

“How are you today?” it asked, its voice steady and confident.

Dr Richards remained frozen for a moment, his mouth slightly agape and his eyes wide. He raised his head slightly as if to nod, and then about turned and ran out of the cell, all concern for security protocols and medical check-ups as forgotten as the biro on the cell floor.

***

Dr Vahlen regarded the screen before her with a great lack of care. This was due to several reasons; first of all, Dr Vahlen was not exactly someone who could be called a 'morning person,' and even while living in a military base a hundred metres underground, her body clock would not desynchronise from when the sun actually came up – which, with it currently being six o’ clock in the morning, February, and at an undisclosed location somewhere in or near Germany, it hadn’t yet.

Secondly, she hadn’t yet had the morning coffee that would have almost helped to offset the first reason.

And lastly, she had left the overnight team of researchers with a simple task to help flesh out her next experiment for X-014-1, to confirm its role among the alien forces. The proposed idea was to first see if it exhibited behaviour that would be expected of an engineer species, such as dismantling mechanical items to discover how they worked, or attempting to repair broken alien technology. Obviously, they would have to be careful regarding what items were used, so that X-014-1 could not threaten the facility or broadcast any information to the remnants of the alien fleet.

The overnight team’s task had been to devise a list of items that would be mechanically complex enough to rouse X-014-1’s interest, without possibly being re-engineered into any sort of weapon or communications devise. It was easy to understand why she felt particularly underwhelmed by the screen before her, which displayed a single picture of a clockwork mouse, and the words 'wind-up radio' that had been struck through.

She turned to the extremely nervous-looking technician beside her. The fact that he was nearly a head taller than her seemed to do little to help his confidence, an observation that XCOM’s chief of research felt would be quite beneficial for what she was about to say.

“You do realise,” the wizened voice of Dr Shen spoke first, “that a typical commercial radio set doesn’t contain a transmitting antenna, only a receiver?” Unlike his counterpart in R&D, the chief engineer handled early mornings as if the day started at half past four.

The technician looked at Dr Shen, before glancing nervously at Dr Vahlen and back. “I, uh, I didn’t actually. I guess we could put it back on the list, then, right?”

Dr Vahlen sighed. “Regardless, that still leaves us with only two items for the test, both of them already functional and human in origin.”

“Yes, well,” the aide replied, “it’s… not been easy thinking of an alien device that doesn’t contain an Elerium power core, since those could be rewired to, well…”

“Explode, yes,” Dr Vahlen finished, “and attempting to integrate a human-designed power source could defeat the whole objective.” She mused for a moment. “Perhaps if-”

“DOCTOR VAHLEN!” Dr Richards burst into the room, “Ma’am!”

Dr Vahlen ended her sentence with a sigh, and turned to face her subordinate. “Yes, Dr Richards?” she asked, tiredly.

“It’s Sparkle, Ma’am, it’s, well, there’s been a development.” Dr Richards spoke quickly, his eyes still a little wide with surprise and his hands waving slightly as if trying to find something appropriate to pantomime.

The chief scientist stood a little straighter. “There has?” she asked, quirking an eyebrow.

“It’s talking, Ma’am. English, plain as day.”

Dr Vahlen was motionless for a moment. Then, with haste more commonly seen in XCOM’s military arm when someone shouts ‘Chryssalid,’ snatched her data slate from the desk and rushed out of the room, grabbing Dr Richards by the sleeve as she went, all notion of coffee requirement vanished from her mind.

“Uh,” the technician still in the lab stuttered, before turning to Dr Shen.

“Well, we can either stay here and think of more test devices,” the older man helpfully suggested, “or we can follow them. Personally,” he began to follow Dr Vahlen’s footsteps at a more sedate pace, “I like to be where the important events take place.”

The technician thought for a moment, nodded, and jogged a little to catch up to the chief engineer.

***

All things considered, Twilight reasoned, this could be going a lot worse.

She was currently lying on the ground in the exact spot she had been standing when she greeted Dr Richards, making a good show of being motionless and non-hostile. This was mostly a response to the fact that the door was still open, with both guards outside aiming their weapons at her. She’d managed to piece together during her time studying the pseudo-humans that these two were only allowed to use force if she attempted to break containment in any way, so if she stayed in her cell they wouldn’t trouble her.

Dr Richards had made quite the show, though, so it seemed likely that neither guard was sure whether or not she had already tried. The two men at the control panels looked unsure, too, and Twilight all too well remembered the electric panels from… a while ago.

She made a mental note to use her new common language with her captors to ask for a clock and a calendar, and then expanded that mental note into a mental checklist of amenities and improvements. She’d got as far as item #65 (a table lamp, following somewhere behind a bedside table, a bed, a supply of literature, and the huge light in the ceiling being turned off whenever it was dark outside) when Dr Vahlen arrived.

Twilight smiled to herself as she watched the woman, happy that she was about to speak to someone a little less likely to scream and run away.

Dr Vahlen walked briskly to the control desk (followed by a nervous Dr Richards), and began giving the two men behind it orders as she stepped onto the raised platform to join them.

Twilight steadily stood up, thinking that it would be rude to greet the head scientist while lying down. Dr Vahlen hadn’t moved to enter the cell yet, of course, but she would certainly want to speak to the alicorn personally.

Then the cells doors slid shut.

Oh. Well, that made sense, Twilight guessed. She’d caused a security breach, she knew, but she had thought maybe the chief scientist would confirm she was a threat before locking her up again. The purple pony turned to look out of the large window of her cell, instead of waiting expectantly facing the door.

Dr Vahlen was tapping away on her clipboard-screen-thing, and sat next to a pointy thing rising out of the console in front of her. She said something else to the three men alongside her, watched as one of them flipped a switch, and then turned to look at Twilight.

“Initiating Experiment X-014-1-E, Test for Vocal Communication,” the chief of research’s voice echoed around Twilight’s cell, causing the alicorn to jump slightly, “Addendum: this experiment is entirely unplanned, and is merely a confirmation that X-014-1 is capable of vocal communication in terrestrial languages, and not intended to determine the extent of its abilities.”

Twilight’s heart sank a little. She had hoped to not be described as an ‘It’ to her face.

“Test commencing at 06:37am, activate speakers in holding cell.” There was a pause, and Twilight saw one of the other scientists turn to speak to Dr Vahlen. She turned to look at him, held the stare for a few seconds, and then turned back to the microphone. The sigh that echoed around Twilight’s cell was probably meant to be private. Vahlen sat a little more upright, and spoke again. “Hello, X-014-1.”

Twilight smiled at her through eight inches of ballistic glass. “Hello, Doctor Vahlen,” she replied, “how are you today?”

The doctor nodded, and replied, “Well enough. X-014-1, I’d like to ask you a few questions, to ensure that you aren’t simply parroting replies you may have heard elsewhere. Is that okay?”

Twilight mused for a moment. “Well, I only learnt fairly recently, so my words known aren’t very many, but feel free, and I’ll try to say when I don’t have the right words for something.”

Dr Vahlen raised an eyebrow. “Really? When did you learn?”

Twilight Sparkle smiled as she replied, “Yesterday.”

The doctor almost fell out of her chair. “Yesterday!? How!?”

The alicorn upgraded her pleasant smile to beaming with pride as she replied, “‘Complex array of psionic powers!’ One count remote hearing, twenty-four count other’s feeling, one count fastest discovering!” Twilight was very aware of the fact that she didn’t really have a word for ‘magic’ at the moment, so she’d had to resort to Vahlen’s own words from the day before.

Dr Vahlen looked to be almost in shock. “You… you used psionics to learn faster?”

Twilight nodded. “It’s a really useful power, but it only works with… talking, and writing. Don’t have proper word, but it gives me knowing meaning of words I hear or read!”

“Languages, then?” Dr Vahlen queried, to be met with a nod. “So, if more subjects were to speak in your presence, you’d be able to learn simply by listening?” Another nod. The woman in white furrowed her brow thoughtfully. “What do you do, exactly? Tell me about yourself.”

Twilight took a moment to pick out what she felt would be the best words to use in place of the ones she didn’t know, before placing a hoof to her chest to introduce herself. “My name is Twilight Sparkle. I am a wings-pointy-psion horse (wrong words). I am also an Officer (wrong word) of Horse Country (wrong words) and personal scientist of Officer Sunrise (wrong words). I bear the Element of Psionics, which is one of six Element of Spectral Lasers,” She thought for a moment, before adding, “Probably wrong words. Elements of… fitting-together-smoothness. Convergence?” She looked at Dr Vahlen for help.

The doctor had a mixed expression on her face. “Well, that certainly raises further questions, but it does at least confirm that you understand what you’re saying, if only by its inaccuracy.” She tried to think of a follow-up question, but nothing came.

The chair next to the chief of research creaked a little as a new arrival sat in it, leaning back into the seat. “Is there anything we could do to possibly help you learn faster, so that we can both better understand each other?” Dr Shen asked. Dr Vahlen nodded in agreement.

Twilight tapped a hoof against her chin. “Well, you could alleviate whatever’s blocking my psionic, so that I can keep the array going longer.”

Dr Vahlen frowned. “Undoubtedly true, but unfortunately base protocol requires that all psionic detainees be secured in such a state that they cannot compromise their security measures.”

Twilight half-nodded. “Uh…” She glanced at Dr Shen.

The engineer smiled a little. “Basically we aren’t allowed to do that easily, and it would be difficult to convince our superiors otherwise.”

Twilight nodded fully this time, and mused for another moment. “Well… I don’t think you’ll like the idea, but I could learn more of your language even faster if I had access to a fluent speaker’s mind.” She held up a hoof disarmingly, and added “I’ve refrained from doing it so far because I’d consider it a breach of thought privacy if I did it without permission, but with a willing assistant I could do it at a low power over an extended period of time.”

There was silence for a moment, before Dr Shen turned and spoke to his colleague, “We’d still have difficulty convincing Officer Bradford of this, given that it would put a member of base personnel at risk.”

Dr Vahlen thought for a moment longer before replying, “I believe I can find a way around that. After all, we only need a fluent speaker, not an XCOM employee.” She looked back to the cell and the alicorn contained within. “We’ll give this some thought, and see if we can come to a conclusion to help you learn. In the meantime, do you have anything you’d like to ask us?”

Twilight didn’t really need to think about it – this appeared to be a military operation, and they’d captured her thinking she was hostile, that much was clear. Under that presumption, they’d be unwilling to tell her anything about said operation, at least until she proved herself innocent, so no use asking about that. Instead she went with one of the more pressing items on her mental list from earlier.

“Can I get something to eat?” she asked, before glancing at a small hollow in the back wall of her cell. “The paste stuff’s kind of awful, if I’m honest.” ‘Wet Cardboard’ would be a generous description, in the young princess’ opinion.

Dr Vahlen nodded. It was essentially nutrient-rich slurry primarily made from stewed bulk vegetables like potatoes and rice, and had been carefully balanced to keep the larger specimens in a state of lethargy – alive, but without the energy to attempt escaping. “I’m certain that that can be arranged.” She looked meaningfully at the technician who had given the incredibly short list of devices earlier – hopefully he’d be better at putting together a menu of non-explosive edibles.

“Dr Vahlen, closing Experiment X-014-1-E, at 07:02am, closing report to follow.” With that, the doctor stood from her seat, picked up her data slate, and began walking out of the room, beginning to type her closing statement to the report as she did so. Dr Shen stopped to thank Twilight for her time before following.

There was a brief moment of silence, before one of the research team rolled his chair across to the microphone. “So, uh, for now I’m thinking I just grab you a sandwich from the canteen?” he asked.

Twilight chuckled. “That’d be nice, Dr Richards. Anything vegetarian, please.”

***

Everything was proceeding with promise.

The Ethereal hung motionless in the air, heavy mask expressionless as it studied the holographic display before it.

Certainly, this was a problematic time for it – their High Priest had been assassinated, their Temple Ship destroyed, and the communication system it served as the hub for severed.

That would be incidental, had it not also proved that their time here was wasted. The New One had refused a place among the Ethereals, as their chosen, as their preferred, as their ally. Instead, the New One had chosen independence, condemning the race of human kind to solitude. Proving, beyond all doubt, that human kind was volatile, and that any further attempt to bring them into the Collective would be taxing. Not to mention that supressing said independence would likely leave a human broken, and incapable of using the Gift with any real proficiency.

Still, now alone and purposeless, in the darkest hour of the Collective, a small hope remained. A new New One. Strong, agile, and above all else, Gifted. Still full of fire, still self-assured, still independent, but more reasonable.

The Ethereal allowed itself a moment of weakness, as it watched the unusual abductee train, outsmarting Mutons, outmaneuvering Floaters and overpowering Alpha Sectoids, to experience something it had not felt in eons: hope.

The New One had been their undoing, but the Found One would be their salvation.