• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Obedience School

Dovahshy May Cry
Obedience School
Author: Draconis187

The sound of armoured hooves and wheels could be heard through the mountain trail that led out of Canterlot and towards the Wailing Woods. Past this was the Serene Plains and beyond that was Fillydelphia. The group heading on the rescue mission only covered Gilda, The Mane 6, Vergil and Trixie Lulamoon.

Gilda was wearing deep blue battle armour. On her left side was a typical halberd. On her right was a crude rifle. Since griffons had no capability with magic, industry and invention made up for the shortfalls. Trixie was wearing a light silver helmet with a matching chestplate and greaves on her four hooves. She was also pulling her cart loaded with fireworks. A loud thump rang out through the – almost – still fading light.

“What was that?!” Rarity jumped. As the group looked around they saw that it was only Trixie’s cart that rode over a rock, causing the sound.

“Sorry.” Trixie apologised.

“We’re all on edge and sadly the closer we get to Fillydelphia, the worse it’s going to get.” Twilight said with a sigh.

It was true, tensions were already running high. Fluttershy was less nervous since she did save Ponyville and Canterlot on her own but she didn’t know what to expect at the time. Now she knows what is ahead of her, she preferred blindly charging to battle. Vergil kept his usual cool, not phased when he heard the bump. Despite he knew that the lives of many rested on everyone’s shoulders – including his own – he felt no reason to worry, it was inefficient.

**** **** **** ****

In the far distance Cerberus was charging through the forests and plains towards Canterlot at blinding speed, crushing everything under his paws. He came past a small pony town: Trotawa, crashing through several buildings and crushing a few ponies into paste in the dirt as he barrelled through. He paid their terrified screams no mind, he had a job to do. He left the town picking up cold, broken pieces of their homes and loved ones, crying softly.

As he barrelled through the countryside, one of the heads raised itself up and sniffed at the air. In seconds Cerberus stopped, all three heads sniffing the air that was coming from the southeast.

“That smell, I know it. Where did I smell that before?” One head asked the others.

“A demon maybe?” Another head answered, sniffing again. “Yes a demon but it smells different, a different kind of demon.”

Then a realisation came to the demon dog, the memory of the one demon came back to Cerberus in a flash. There was only one demon it knew of that had that smell.

“Sparda…” All three heads growled. Cerberus changed course, heading towards the smell of the betrayer.

**** **** **** ****

The group set up camp in a clearing on the edge of the Wailing Woods. They still had another day of travelling ahead of them in order to get to Fillydelphia.

“Hey G, why did you leave those other griffons behind in Canterlot?” Dash asked, lightly strumming Nevan.

“I underestimated the time it would take us to get to Fillydelphia. We are going to be gone for a minimum of four days and that’s just to get there. If I know Bloodwing, he’ll try to start a war with Equestria if he doesn’t see any of us there. He’s one of those old coots that just don’t like anyone else who looks or thinks differently than them.” Gilda replied, taking off her helmet.

“Sounds like quite the guy.” Dash sarcastically remarked.

“He’s a piece of work alright. One time he tried to start a war with frogs if you can believe it.” Gilda said with a laugh. “It would’ve been one terribly one-sided battle.”

“Yeah, the frogs would’ve wiped the floor with you.” Pinkie called out, cleaning the inside of Kalina Ann with her tail with a huge grin on her face.

Gilda looked a little shocked but then everyone shared a good laugh at Pinkie’s comment. Twilight was reading a spellbook with Trixie. As Twilight mentioned a spell, Trixie would tell her of its combat implications if any. They were expanding their repertoire of spells to use against the Changelings once the group reaches Fillydelphia. Fluttershy was standing a short distance away from the group, talking to Agni and Rudra.

“Are you two ready?” She asked as he hefted the blades up into a battle stance.

“I am ready master.” Agni replied.

“Uh, ready for what?” Rudra asked. Fluttershy shook her head as she turned her attention to the opponent in front of her: Vergil.

“Are you ready yet Fluttershy? I am growing impatient.” He said callously as his right hand hovered just an inch from Yamato’s handle.

“Sorry, ready wh-” Fluttershy said as Vergil struck.

Vergil brought Yamato down in an overhead strike but Fluttershy blocked it with Rudra while slicing at Vergil with Agni in her left hoof in a horizontal strike. Vergil blocked it by using Yamato’s scabbard but his face scowled when he saw Fluttershy breathe in deeply.

“FUS RO DAH!!” She Shouted. Vergil got blown a number of metres away but he landed on his feet with a thud and got into his Judgement Cut stance.

Fluttershy flew up and around the area they were fighting, dodging Yamato’s Judgement Cut strikes. Fluttershy landed on the ground with a thud and with the demon swords impaled into the ground. The instant they landed, Agni and Rudra sent a wave of fire and wind towards Vergil who rolled to the side to avoid it. Vergil swiped at the air with Yamato, cutting the air itself as it travelled towards Fluttershy as she countered by sending a combined wave of fire and wind to meet it.

The two attacks collided with each other it created a shockwave that sent birds flying out of their nests. Nearby animals fled in terror as the trees were pushed around as if a strong wind was blowing them over. The centre of the shockwave was a huge scorch mark and on either end of it were a panting Vergil and Fluttershy. Vergil was the first to recover as he sheathed Yamato and ran his hand through his hair, putting it back into its original style. Fluttershy blew a piece of her mane out from her face as she smiled.

“Not bad for a small practice, huh Vergil?” She inquired as she sheathed Agni and Rudra on her back.

“Yes, your skills are still sharp but I fear that your complacency is hindering your abilities.” Vergil replied as the two returned to the campsite. “I saw in your actions that you were holding back. I had to hold myself back as a result.”

“Sorry Vergil but you're my friend.” She replied. Vergil raised an eyebrow. “You still don’t believe me after all this time, do you?”

“You forget my dear, that the world is filled with those who wish to further their own goals and nothing more.” He said callously.

“That may be so where you're from but not here. We all help each other because we want to and we enjoy doing it. If you can give it a chance I'm sure you will come to enjoy it too.”

“We’ll see.” He muttered, effectively ending the conversation. Twilight and Trixie raised their heads from the book as the two sat down.

“So, how did it go?” Twilight asked.

“The same as always when I train with Vergil. Keep on your toes and you’ll live.” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“Oh… okay.” Twilight replied nervously as Vergil remained silent.

Applejack was polishing her brother’s hammer, making it shine under the moonlight and the fire’s glow. Pinkie had finished cleaning Kalina Ann and shoved it back into her mane. Dash was still idly strumming while Gilda was recounting her tales of her various jobs during their time apart.

“So that’s why you ended up in politics G?” Dash said.

“Yup, if anything I loved a good scrap so getting paid to do it seemed like the most awesome deal ever.” She replied with a grin.

“Where are you going Trixie?” Twilight asked as Trixie suddenly got up.

“I wish to check on something in my cart.” She merely replied as she walked to it.

The cart was going to serve as Trixie’s launch platform for her fireworks. The cart had a container underneath that stored her various completed fireworks. On the top of it was an angled rack, a piece of wood with several grooved holes on the top where the fireworks would be launched from and a number of small hammers. Beneath all of that, there were several compartments containing various ingredients to create more of them. Trixie pulled out a few materials and proceeded to create a flash firework, also known as a flare.

Applejack hefted up her hammer and went off to the clearing where Fluttershy and Vergil fought, wanting to practise wielding it.

She stood on her hind hooves with her hammer in her forehooves. Bucking apples all her life made her legs very strong and as a result, made it easier to stand on them with little effort. She hefted the hammer onto her left shoulder and with her hooves firmly holding onto the handle, swung it in an overhead strike. The hammer collided with the ground, causing the dirt to fly up into the air and cracking the scorched earth.

She lifted the hammer and walked up to a tree. She then swung the hammer around with as much force as she could muster. The hammer collided with the tree, shattering the half metre wide trunk into a number of fragments. They flew away to the right while the top part of the tree fell in the opposite direction. The hammer carried on its momentum, taking Applejack with it.

“Tarnation! I didn’t think this blighter would cause me to gallivant with it.” She muttered as she picked herself up off the ground, dusting the armour off and picking up her Stetson hat.

She had red tinted silver armour that covered her hooves, back and flank. In between the sheets was chainmail armour, so she still had free range of motion. She refused to wear the helmet, opting to wear her beloved Stetson instead. Twilight walked up to Applejack, handing her the hammer with her magic.

“Applejack, you have to learn to not put your whole body into the attack. Just use your forehooves and upper body. You need to keep yourself balanced as you strike.” She said, not looking at her stubbornly proud friend in the eye.

“And you who made you the expert in hammering?” She retorted.

“Fluttershy told me.” The purple unicorn replied. “She and Vergil were watching you and I overheard their comments. I decided it was best to let you know otherwise we might lose you in Fillydelphia and I wouldn’t be able to take that. Fluttershy disappeared into another world but I was sure she was still alive. If we lose you there, we are going to wait forever for you to return.”

Applejack hung her head. “I'm sorry Twi, I didn’t mean ta snap like that. It’s just that these Changelings caught us the last time and I'm hankering for some payback is all.”

“Revenge is not the answer Applejack. If we do that then we are no better than the Changelings themselves.” Twilight responded. “What we are doing now is more a form of self defence. We don’t have a choice in the matter.”

Applejack hugged her friend. “It’s ok Twi. Now would you mind helping me with my swing?”

Twilight chuckled as she wiped away a tear. “Sure.”

The next half hour went by with Twilight telling Applejack where and what was wrong with her swing. At the end of the half hour, Applejack’s proficiency with the hammer was much better than when she started out. She still stumbled a little when she used a full force strike so she kept her strikes smaller and more manageable.

As the two were returning to the campsite, the ground stated to tremble and the air around them started to get colder by the second. Everypony looked to each other with worried expressions… except for Vergil, he was simply wondering what this disturbance could be.

“Is this an earthquake?” He asked.

“It feels too unnatural to be an earthquake.” Twilight responded as she and the rest of the group stumbled around.

Pinkie was bouncing up and down the place with a grin on her face, seemingly unaffected by the quake. Gilda flew up into the air to avoid the embarrassment of flailing around. The sky above started to get cloudy but there were no Pegasi moving them and the clouds were an unnatural black colour. Dash tried to keep herself balanced by using Nevan, which was impaled into the ground. Trixie’s latest concoction blew up in her face while the other components she was working on fell onto the floor. Gilda turned her attention around and saw some trees in the distance falling down. Whatever it was, it was headed in their direction.

“We got company!” She squawked, landing on the still shaking ground to pick up her weapons.

“Sparda!!” A voice shouted. Cerberus broke through the last of the trees and stopped in front of the campsite, growling and baring his fangs. “I have come for you Sparda! I will have my revenge for that collar you placed on me!”

Vergil scoffed. “My father is not here you oversized mongrel. Now leave us before you get injured.”

“You dare mock me?!” Cerberus replied. “If I can’t get revenge on Sparda, I’ll just get it from killing his descendant.”

Cerberus charged as Vergil vanished. Fluttershy pulled out Agni and Rudra while Rarity and Trixie readied the fireworks. Applejack brought her hammer down onto Cerberus’ foot but her attack was stopped as the ice covering his entire body stopped the blow dead in its tracks.

“What in tar-” was all she said as Cerberus knocked her back and into some trees, some distance away.

“Applejack!” Came multiple shouts as the orange mare slowly got back up on to her hooves. She was bruised and her armour had buckled in some areas.

“That’s smarts.” Applejack commented while she returned to the battle.

Fluttershy brought Agni and Rudra down onto the middle head, cracking and simultaneously melting the ice armour he was encased in. As she landed down on the ground, Vergil appeared above the same head, about to drive Yamato into Cerberus’ head. Cerberus saw this and dodged by jumping backwards. Pinkie pulled Kalina Ann out and fired a rocket. He ate it as it was about to hit him. The rocket detonated inside and dealt absolutely no damage.

“Is that all you mortals have for me?” The right head taunted.

Dash was strumming away at Nevan, summing up some bats in the process and firing them at Cerberus with lightning. Cerberus breathed down a stream of ice down at Dash, freezing the bats that were protecting her and forcing her to play faster to replenish their numbers. In no time even Dash’s high speed playing couldn’t summon enough bats and she got frozen.

“How dare you!” Fluttershy shouts, seeing her friend frozen. “FUS RO DAH!”

Cerberus was hit cleanly but only moved a few feet backwards. All three heads just smiled at her.

“That’s a neat trick, now let me show you mine.” He remarked.

He howled and shattered into multiple ice fragments. They were then swept up by a chilling wind that started to reform him. As the fragments were nearing his reconstruction, there was a slight but noticeable difference: there were three bodies, each with a singular head.

“Humph, I guess this old dog knows a few new tricks.” Vergil remarked as he charged for the long nosed Cerberus (these will be referred in terms of their eye colours. This one has yellow eyes and is therefore Yellow Cerberus).

As Vergil sliced at the Yellow Cerberus’ face but it caught Yamato in its teeth. The Blue Cerberus fired a huge chunk of ice at him which sent him flying off into the distance. Yamato flew in another direction, landing next to Trixie and Rarity. Fluttershy – having seen this – got angry and readied Beowulf.

“Time for this dog to back to its kennel! Beowulf, lend me your full power!” She shouted as her body began to glow.

Her coat started to shift in colour, becoming the same dark grey as Beowulf itself. Her coat also began to change its texture as it shifted colour, becoming armour. The ‘armour’ then proceeded to split, creating the same white light pathways that the gauntlets and greaves have. Her wings elongated, turning white at the tips before splitting into two pairs of fully functioning wings. Her eyes went red and at the ends of her forehooves, she gained claws made of light. Her Cutie Mark could still be seen, albeit now it was an outline of light pathways.

“What are you?!” The Red Cerberus questioned as it knocked Gilda backwards.

Just a pony.” She replied, her voice a mix between hers and Beowulf’s, speaking simultaneously.

She flexed her new claws and charged at the Yellow Cerberus, extending her four wings to launch herself towards its head. Her left claw collided with its jaw, the sound of bones shattering ringing through the area. The Yellow Cerberus was also knocked onto its hind legs as Fluttershy brought her hind hoof down on him at speed (Killer Bee/Starfall). The area around the group lit up as Rarity and Trixie fired off some fireworks.

“Ah! My eyes, it burns!” The three Cerberus cried out.

Vergil had re-entered the fight and Trixie threw Yamato to him with her magic. Twilight was using a shield spell to protect Applejack as she hammered at the Red Cerberus’ feet. It retaliated by swinging its paw at her, which sent her flying again. Twilight stopped her by carrying her with her magic. Applejack was looking a little dishevelled but alright.

“I don’t think I'm cut out for this Twi.” She said to Twilight as she picked up her Stetson.

“We haven’t got a choice Applejack, we have keep fighting otherwise it will kill us.” Twilight responded. She ran off to thaw out Dash who was still frozen.

“H-h-hurry u-u-p-p-p! I-I-I c-c-can’t t-take much m-more of t-this!” Dash said as Twilight was defrosting her.

The three Cerberus dogs howled simultaneously and shattered. They reformed back into one whole again, laughing.

“You cannot defeat me that easily! My power is far greater since I'm no longer bound in that accursed tower!” He declared.

The Yellow Cerberus Head howled and several chunks of ice fell from the sky, destroying Trixie’s fireworks cart which exploded and sent her and Rarity flying backwards. Fluttershy extended her wings and – with a single large flap – send some of her feathers flying towards it like missiles, cracking its ice armour in several places. Vergil followed through by throwing Yamato at the largest crack which was the Yellow Cerberus Head, and for an encore Pinkie appeared from behind Vergil with Kalina Ann and fired a rocket. The rocket collided with Yamato’s pummel, sending it through the Yellow Cerberus’ head. The head exploded into several ice fragments.

“Ah!” The two remaining heads shouted. “You shall pay!”

As Fluttershy leapt up to deliver a blow with her claws but Cerberus fired off an ice chunk at her, sending her flying into the treeline like Vergil earlier and sending the demonic blades Agni and Rudra flying. The group saw the light Fluttershy’s body was emitting earlier start to fade as a tree fell in her direction with a crash. Vergil started to grip on Yamato’s scabbard hard, causing it to fracture slightly and with a shout, activated his Devil Trigger but something was wrong.

Instead of his blue scales, he was encased in dark armour. His horns faced forwards and drooped on opposite sides of his head, a mixture of blue and red colours. He wore a purple cape with a large sword-like symbol on it. His face had gold lines running across it. Yamato had mutated, becoming a far larger blade, emanating a dark blue flame. He walked up slowly towards Cerberus as it laughed.

“Did I hurt your mate mortal?! Come on!” It shouted as it charged at Vergil.

In one strike with his left gauntlet, Vergil’s fist connected with Cerberus’ muzzle and sent him careering backwards from the force. Vergil continued to walk forward, undeterred with his left gauntlet erupting in the same blue flame as his mutated sword. Cerberus got back onto its four paws and fired off another chunk of ice. Vergil countered it by firing a blue fireball at the ice chunk, destroying it. Everypony was shocked at Vergil’s conduct, he let Cerberus get back up each time and didn’t attack him while he was vulnerable.

As Cerberus swiped at Vergil, he countered yet again with the mutated Yamato. The blade went straight through the demon dog’s ice armour and went into its foot, causing blood to flow out of the wound. Trixie picked up Agni and Rudra with her magic and went up to Twilight, who was still trying to defrost Dash. Pinkie ran up to Cerberus with Kalina Ann and fired. The rocket found home, detonating at the Blue Cerberus’ head, destroying its armour as well. Trixie thawed out Dash with Agni and threw the blades at Cerberus’ remaining head, piercing its eyes.

“Ah! I can't see!” It shouted as it began to flail about. Fluttershy had returned to the fight but she was back to normal.
Gilda flew downwards, aiming for Cerberus’ head as Vergil appeared next to her, thinking the same thing. Together the force was great enough to force the dog onto the ground with a smash. The demonic dog just laid there as the group readied their weapons and aimed at Cerberus. Pinkie aimed Kalina Ann at him. Vergil had changed back and held Yamato up high, ready to bring it down while Applejack was in the same pose. Dash had Nevan raised above her head in scythe mode, ready to exact her revenge. Fluttershy had Hatred out, pointing at Cerberus. Twilight was readying a spell to hit him with while Rarity had salvaged one last firework and aimed it as well. Gilda had taken out her rifle and was ready to fire while Trixie pulled Agni and Rudra out of Cerberus’ eyes and readied them to impale him again.

“You know what to say Fluttershy?” Vergil asked. Everypony had heard the story of them back in his universe as Fluttershy nodded.

“Jackpot!” Everypony cried out in unison as they bought their weapons down on the dog, utterly destroying him in a flash of bright light. What remained was a bright pillar of blue tinted light.

“You all have bested me in combat and so one of you shall have the honour of taking my soul.” A voice rang out from the pillar of light, Cerberus’ voice to be accurate. The group muttered to themselves, wondering who should take it.

“I will.” Trixie said, stepping forward. “You destroyed my cart and as such Trixie demands recompense.”

“As you wish.” The voice replied as an orb emanating the same light flew towards her.

As the light dissipated a single, tripartite nunchaku was left behind in Trixie’s hooves. The three parts were blue in colour and gave off a cold chill, cooling the air around it so much that it was visible. The three parts were connected by chains onto a single ring, just like Cerberus’ three heads were attached to a single body.

“Well, that’s interesting.” Twilight remarked. Trixie gave the weapon a few experimental swings but ended up hitting herself in the head.

“I can help you learn to use it.” Fluttershy offered, offering her hoof to Trixie who was flat on the floor. She gave the yellow mare hers as she lifted herself up off the floor.

“I’d like that, thanks.” Trixie said with a blush.

“Right, I don’t know about all of you but I could go for some grub! Let’s see what still remains and get cooking!” Gilda said with a clap of her claws.

Fluttershy picked up Agni and Rudra and sheathed them away as she joined the rest of the group. They still had some supplies left, albeit cold but edible once warmed up. Twilight looked to Fluttershy with concern on her face.

“Fluttershy, do you mind if I ask you something?” She asked.

“What’s wrong Twilight?” She said, biting on a carrot.

“That thing you did earlier, what was that?” She replied. Everypony heard the conversation and came closer so they could hear as well.

“Well, it was kind of a Devil Trigger. A Devil Trigger is when a demon changes into its true form if it was disguised, increasing its power. Vergil is half demon and can use it as well.” She said.

“Does that mean you’re a demon too?!” Twilight asked in shock. Vergil shook his head.

“No, she simply channelled the full power of the Devil Arm, Beowulf. It acts on the same principle as my Devil Trigger, allowing her to take on a small part of Beowulf’s form in order to gain more power.” He said slowly.

“Does that mean that sort of thing can happen to me?” Trixie asked.

“I am unsure but there is a possibility.” Vergil replied as he bit down on his meal: a steak, courtesy of Gilda the Griffon.

**** **** **** ****
In the Crystal Empire, a large black obelisk began to rise from underneath the Crystal Castle. It destroyed the castle as it gained height, reaching twice the height of the Castle. At the foot of it, amongst the rubble of the Castle was King Clavus. He was bowing at the obelisk as three red orbs appeared near the top.

“So my servant hasn’t failed me. That is good news to me.” A deep voice said.

“I have done all that you’ve asked for my master! We shall rule this world and the Demon World, together!” Clavus shouted.

“Together? No…” The voice replied as a beam of red energy fired from the top orb, splattering Clavus into a red paste on the floor. “I alone shall rule.”

The obelisk began to glow as various demons poured out of it, killing everything in their sight, Changeling and pony alike.

“Soon this world shall be mine.” The voice of the Prince of Darkness said, ringing out into the countryside.

**** **** **** ****

Gustav’s and Bloodwing’s fleets were locked in battle. The sounds of cannons and rifles firing were filling the air. Multiple griffons were tearing at each other’s throats, some literally with a variety of melee weapons and guns. Bloodwing was issuing orders from the bridge of his flagship: the Arbiter.

“Sir, we are losing a number of ships and the 54th are reporting a loss of 23%.” The helmsgriffon said to his commanding officer.

“I can see that you useless lout! Get those weaklings out of there and use the Revengeance!” He shouted. The helmsgriffon nodded and issued his orders.

The Arbiter’s Revengeance was an oversized cannon that fired a large, 40m wide by 70m long explosive shell. Reloading took twelve minutes but the damage it was capable of was immense. The cannon was situated on the top of the Arbiter’s roof, concealed behind a blast shield for protection.

“Sir, the Arbiter! It’s doing something!” The helmsgriffon of the Ares’ Dagger cried out.

“Move this ship… now!” Gustav screeched. The Ares’ Dagger moved higher up into the air and pulled backwards.

The Revengeance fired, the shell careering towards the bulk of the 67th Fleet and detonated. In one shot, their numbers were reduced to a few escorts and the Ares’ Dagger. The griffons around the bridge were scrambling, confused and scared at the prospect of death.

“Order a full retreat!” Gustav shouted.

The Ares’ Dagger as well as the remnants of the 67th went full throttle, flying off towards the Crystal Empire to meet up with King Clavus’ forces.

“Always the coward Gustav.” Bloodwing remarked. “Alright you wastes of fur and feathers! Take a head count and repair what you can, we head back out in two hours!”

Author's Note:

Well, now there is a Fluttershy Devil Trigger, it was a long time coming and there were a number of comments about how and what it was going to be called. Right now it shall be dubbed Devil Arm Trigger. DAT is some good stuff! And to answer the question: yes I will be explaining how Nelo Angelo fits into this, either in the next chapter or the one after or as an interlude so please don't complain about it, I know it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense but I will explain it.