• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Epilogue: Divergence

Dovahshy May Cry
Epilogue: Divergence
Author: Draconis187

The group retuned to Canterlot as heroes after another five day long trip but this time there was no war plan, no fear of losing, they won. Celestia and Luna beamed at their cheering subjects, happy that everything has finally turned out well in the end. The Crystal Empire was saved and despite losses of most of the population, it was not enough to render the Crystal Ponies extinct which was of great relief to the Princesses as well as Cadance and Shining Armor.

There was still work to be done, repairing the damage caused by the Changelings in their invasion. Broken Skies had informed them that the Changelings will help in the reconstruction. In a short span of time he had become an impromptu leader of the Changelings until the monarchy had resolved who was next in line for the throne.

Pinkie Pie wasted no time in getting Discord to help her plan the biggest party in Equestrian history. The cake she had Discord make was five storeys tall and had enough sugar for it to be labelled hazardous to one’s health. Although that didn’t stop everypony from helping themselves to a slice. The entertainment was provided by Vinyl Scratch and Octavia as well as some other, less famous musicians.

The remaining fireworks were fired into the night sky from the deck of the Arbiter, illuminating the sky in a myriad of colours and sounds, signalling the start of the party. Everypony was happy as Changeling, Griffon and pony alike toasted to their fortunes and their futures.

“May I ask what you two are planning to do?” Celestia asked Dante and Vergil as Dante took a big swig of Sweet Apple Acres brand cider.

“Well, I doubt we can go home,” Dante replied, “So I guess we’ll stick around a while and see this world.”

As Dante brought the wooden pitcher to his lips, two eyes stared at him from within it, “Holy sh-!”

He dropped the pitcher and pulled out his pistols as Discord’s eyes rolled out and fell into two holes in the ground where a mouth with a single long tooth sticking out was as well, “I can send the two of you home if you really want to go. It seems that some of the energy from that Hell Gate rubbed off on me so it won’t be that difficult to make a bridge of sorts to your world or any other Mundus had touched. I’d guess what was how Mundus was able to take control me and the others.”

“So he was able to manipulate Nyx because she had some of that energy as well from when she was summoned back in Fillydelphia?” Twilight asked as the two of them approached the group.

“It appears that way Twilight,” Discord replied as he closed his eyes and reappeared on a cloud above them, “I can send Nyx home as well as Baral and his red, talking handbag.”

Nyx’s eyes bulged slightly, she could go home to her Equestria! But suddenly she wasn’t sure now, she would be back with her Twilight but she would be leaving this Twilight behind. This Twilight had fought through demon hordes alongside her and has been as much a mother to her as she has been a friend. Her real Twilight believed in her when even she didn’t in herself and so did this one.

“Go,” Twilight said with a smile, bringing Nyx out of her thoughts, “Your Twilight is probably worried sick about you. I’ll be fine but your Twilight needs you more than I do.”

“Just one thing, Nyx,” Discord interrupted as the two mares hugged one another, “The demonic energy that gave you that growth spurt will be purged as you cross over. You will be a filly again.”

Nyx smiled, “That’s fine but do you mind if I take those books on Griffon technology back with me? I’m sure my Twilight would be fascinated by the advances they made here.”

Celestia smiled, “I’m sure that Bloodwing won’t have a problem with that since they were declassified. Discord?”

The God of Chaos nodded and snapped his fingers, making the stack of books appear next to the Alicorn. Nyx’s magical aura grabbed hold of them and hoisted them slightly into the air.

“You leaving already?!” Pinkie squealed, appearing out of nowhere, “But I had this whole party planned out for you once we got back home to Ponyville, Nyxie!”

Discord chuckled, “I can open the gateway at any time, she more than welcome to come and visit at her leisure.”

Nyx looked up at Discord incredulously, “I-I can?”

Discord rolled his eyes, “Yes-”

He was instantly cut off as a pink blur grabbed him in a hug that may as well have come from an Ursa Major. Pinkie Pie was so happy that her smile looked like it threatened to break the boundaries of her face. Nyx and Twilight smiled broadly at each other, Nyx didn’t have to choose between her two Twilights! She took a few steps forward as Discord vanished and reappeared on the ground, with Pinkie still gripping onto him.

“Pinkie, Nyx needs to get going. You can let go of Discord now, please?” Twilight asked as the pink mare nodded and let go.

The others were gathering around them as Discord snapped his fingers, tearing a hole in time and space. It looked like a ring of green and red mist with a picture in the centre. The other side of the portal was clearly visible as it showed the inside of Twilight’s bedroom. Twilight was there – the one from Nyx’s world – with her head under her pillow, her body convulsing as the muffled sounds of crying reached the group on the other side. Nyx shed a tear as she walked up to the portal, her body shrinking until she was no bigger than any of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Alastor was digging into the earth as Nyx walked as it no longer rested on the back of a full sized Alicorn.

The portal was a few inches of the ground, leaving Nyx with little choice but to jump in order to pass through. As her hooves banged on the wooden floor, Twilight jumped. She looked around and rubbed her eyes. She stared at Nyx for a second in utter disbelief, wiping her eyes again as her mouth hung open in shock as she realised this was no dream.

“Nyx!” Twilight ran up and grabbed hold of her daughter, crying once more but this time it was tears of joy. Tears of a mother reunited with her daughter, “What happened? I was so worried! And what is with that thing on your back?”

“It’s a long story believe me,” Nyx replied, looking back at the portal as Discord threw her a pendant on a silver chain. It had an emerald adorning the centre.

“If you ever wish to visit, touch it with your hoof and speak into it. I will be on the other end. I do hope you visit, for Twilight’s sake,” Discord said with surprising seriousness.

“D-Discord?!” Twilight shouted. Fear and sheer disbelief was etched into every line on her face as her daughter was casually talking to one of the biggest threats in Equestrian history.

“This is what I meant by ‘it’s a long story’,” Nyx said, rolling her eyes as her Twilight was starting to hyperventilate, “Come on, I’m sure Spike will be more than happy to make you some tea.”

With that Nyx and her Twilight went out of the room and out of sight, their hoofsteps fading away as they descended down the steps. Discord sealed the portal with a small grin on his face, “She really cares about Nyx, don’t you think so Celly?”

Celestia nodded, “That was the reaction that any mother would have.”

“As much as this taste of love is all well and good, mind if we get going?” Vergil asked callously, “I'm sure Dante has a number of debts he still has to settle.”

“Only you could ruin a moment like that Vergil,” Dante remarked, shaking his head, “But he’s right, I still have debts to settle and this didn’t pay anything so I need to get a job as soon as possible.”

Celestia chuckled, “Hold on a moment for me please then Dante.”

The Sun Goddess flew off into the castle, returning shortly after with a small leather bag. She handed it to Dante, almost making him fall over from the unexpected weight. Inside was 1000 bits, a fair amount of money in Equestrian currency but since it was 24 carat gold, more than worth its weight in Dante’s world.

“I assume this is more than enough remuneration for you?” Celestia asked as Dante’s eyes widened after seeing the contents.

“Y-yeah, call me anytime if you pay me like this! Wait until Lady sees this. I can finally get her off my back!” Dante chuckled as he joined Vergil by Discord as he opened another portal, this one leading to the Devil May Cry.

“Do say goodbye to that rodent for me will you Fluttershy?” Vergil asked.

Fluttershy nodded, “Of course. I’m sure he’d wish he was here to say his farewells.”

Vergil gave a very small smirk, “I’m sure he would.”

The portal had opened by the door, Trish and Lady had their backs to it, arguing about something while Nero was leaning against the nearby wall with his hands on the sides of his head, begging God to stop them or kill them. Dante and Vergil walked in casually, bag of gold in hand.

“I leave you ladies for a few days and you're already trying to kill each other?” Dante sighed, causing Trish and Lady to look around, “There is more than enough of me to go around.”

“So did you boys enjoy your little trip?” Lady asked, “Because we had to escape a falling Hell Gate that almost crushed us if Nero hadn’t moved it out of the way with that arm of his.”

Nero scoffed, “I guess you two managed to save the world and take all the credit?”

Dante shrugged, “More like a team effort. See you Discord, it has been an… interesting partnership.”

Discord chuckled, “I’m sure it was. You two can stay in contact with those amulets of yours, same thing I said to Nyx. See ya!”

The portal collapsed at that moment, leaving Baral and Odahviing as the last ones to be sent home.

Fluttershy hugged the Redguard, “Thanks for everything.”

“I just helped you take on a demon army, I didn’t really do much else,” He responded.

“If it wasn’t for you teaching me how to fight back in Skyrim, I would never had made it this far,” Fluttershy argued.

“Ah’m guessing ya might want this back, right?” Applejack asked, handing Baral Volendrung.

Baral shook his head, “I think it’s in capable hooves, I doubt the Daedra that gave it to me will be happy that his weapon is in another world but he can go and kiss Meridia’s ass for all I care.”

“That’s mighty kind of ya, thanks,” Applejack replied, smiling as he and the red dragon walked up to Discord.

“Mind if you open it by Whiterun?” Baral asked, “I really don’t want to be trekking across Skyrim right now.”

Discord nodded and the portal opened, showing the area where Odahviing used as his living quarters. Farengar could be seen just inches away from the portal, studying it with the curiosity that Baral had come to expect from the mage.

“Fascinating, is that you Baral? Can you hear me?” He asked as the two walked through the portal.

“Yes Farengar, what happened while I was away?” Baral asked as Odahviing curled up and went to sleep, “Lazy dragon.”

“Well, that obelisk just fell apart and now is nothing more than black sand. We have warned adventurers to avoid the area as there are still some Dremora around it while there are reports of others scattered across Skyrim,” Farengar said, trying to look over Baral’s shoulder and at the Draconequus.

“So I still have a mess to clean up?” Baral complained, “Well, it beats having to fight an endless sea of them.”

“Baral look down there,” Discord said, pointing down at the ground by Baral’s feet where some strange markings had been etched into the ground. Baral recognised this as a Shout, three whole words to be exact: ‘BEX LEIN DAAL.’

“That will allow you passage back here,” Discord said with a smile, “If you ever want to visit, just use that and the portal should open.”

“Thank you Discord,” Baral replied with a smile as the portal closed, “Well, time to get back to work… cleaning up other people’s messes. Some things never change.”

“Well, that’s everypony that doesn’t belong here except for Clunker but I doubt Applejack would let me send him back to the Demon World,” Discord noted before yawning, “Now, I’m off to sleep. Goodnight.”

In a flash Discord was gone, leaving the rest of the group behind at the party. The night continued unabated, Rainbow challenged Applejack and Gilda to a drinking contest until Bloodwing found out and joined in. The table they were at soon degraded into taunts and insults as the mares and the griffons paired up to out drink each other.

Twilight let a small tear fall from her face, “Twilight, are you alright?”

Twilight looked around and saw Celestia standing next to her with a smile on her face, “I’m fine Princess, it’s just-”

“You miss Nyx already. I understand Twilight but remember: we will see her again,” Celestia said, comforting the mare as she draped her wing over Twilight, “You are connected to her through the same bond that she and her Twilight share. It’s a bond that can never be broken and will last for eternity.”

“Thanks Princess,” Twilight smiled at her mentor as Noteworthy ran past, screaming for help, soon followed by Pinkie, Kalina Ann in her hooves.

“Come back! It’s only my party cannon!” She cried out innocently, throwing her hooves up into the air and returning back to the party.

“It’s best we don’t ask,” Twilight said, looking at Celestia’s shocked expression.

The music began to die out as the party dragged on to the wee hours of midnight, making most ponies leave for home. The drinking contest had no clear winner yet as they all still looked sober, despite the five empty barrels of hard cider nearby. Twilight saw Trixie sitting next to Thunderlane, talking about something. As he got up and left, Twilight’s curiosity got the better of her and she walked up to the showmare.

“Mind if I ask what that was about Trixie?” Twilight asked.

“Not at all. I was simply talking to Thunderlane about repairing Las Pegasus since it had been turned into a warzone,” Trixie replied, smiling happily, “It’s going to be hard work but we’ll help restore it, it’s what we fought for.”

“We’ll help,” The two mares turned around and saw Rebel and Legion walking up to them, “Sorry for eavesdropping, old habits and old occupations die hard. We’d like to help you if you’d have us.”

Trixie nodded, “Of course, you helped us so I can return the favour. You know the best thing about this little adventure Sparkle?” She turned to Twilight, smiling maliciously.

“I feel like I’m going to regret asking this but… what is it Trixie?” Twilight asked nervously.

“I’ve now got something rather unique to add to my shows. Trixie will be the greatest showpony to have ever lived!” She declared, raising her forehooves into the air like she used to in her shows, minus the fireworks.

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Don’t let it go to your head Trixie.”

“Of course not, I would never let that happen again,” Trixie defended but she knew what she meant, “Maybe we should have a proper duel with our new abilities one of these days? A friendly one of course that doesn’t involve banishing you-”

“Or getting corrupted by an ancient amulet with mystical powers?” Twilight interjected.

“May we not speak of that thing again? It was not my proudest moment,” Trixie replied rather sheepishly.

Twilight nodded her head and turned her attention to the two Changelings, “What do you plan on doing once you two are finished in Las Pegasus?”

Rebel shuffled nervously, “Well… we’re not entirely sure. Legion and I have been together since we hatched so wherever we go it will be in each other’s company so I’m not that bothered really.”

“I’m thinking about travelling around the world and spreading news of how we’re not the monsters others believe us to be,” Legion said rather quickly, “Knowledge about our species is so small and it has painted us in a rather poor light since there is no other evidence to prove otherwise. I would like to stop that.”

“Good luck then you two,” Twilight said with a genuine smile.

Who would have thought that she would accept the Changelings as friends and not enemies? If it was a month ago, she would’ve slapped and yelled at herself to get a grip. She walked away from the party and into the castle. The guards greeted her cordially as she walked by. She eventually stopped as she found a balcony that overlooked not only Ponyville but also had a broad view of Equestria itself.

In the dead of night the view was breathtakingly tranquil and still. She cried. Losing Fluttershy because of her insatiable curiosity that has gotten her into trouble a few times before, finding her to be a stone cold killer and yet she was still the mare that she called a friend. She almost lost her brother and aunt to both the Changelings and the demons. She found out she was a mother in some alternate reality and despite she came from another world, she cared for her like a daughter. All this… actually made her happy.

“I will miss you, Nyx,” She whispered, “I have no regrets from the moment I got into this fight to the moment I had to let you go home.”

Around the corner a yellow mare in a red leather coat was eavesdropping on her friend with a smile on her face.

‘At least she isn’t blaming herself for anything,’ Fluttershy thought as she made her presence known, “Uh, Twilight?”

Twilight looked around and saw the walking demonic armoury that was her friend, “Hi Fluttershy, sorry I just needed a moment to myself.”

Her friend nodded, “I know how it feels. All this is a lot to take in, especially once it’s over. I needed a good week to recover from the aftermath of the events in the Temen-ni-gru and Skyrim. It’s how you deal with them that changes you. The question is: will you let it change you for the better or for worse?”

Twilight smiled, “Since when did you become a book of life lessons?”

Fluttershy sniggered, “Not all of us fall asleep when you go on one of your lectures Twilight.”

The two mares laughed into the still night air from the balcony as Dash looked up at them. Well, she tried to look up at them but she saw three balconies and three copies of her friends. She was sober enough to recognise who they were though.

“Hey AJ,” She asked but only got a loud snore in response. Looking down she remembered that she was the last mare standing, Bloodwing and Gilda never stood a chance against the ones who had been drinking the stuff for years. It came down to the two mares to finish the competition.

“Moron,” Gilda snored.

“Scumbag,” Bloodwing softly retorted with a smile.

All this didn’t stop Dash from rambling to nopony in particular, “I wonder what would have happened if Fluttershy never went on that trip of hers… Yeah, I agree. We would have been so bucked.”

“Rainbow Dash!” The cyan mare wheeled around and saw Spitfire walking up to her. If there was one thing in Equestria that could make her sober up in ten seconds flat, it would be meeting the Wonderbolts face to face.

“Yes ma’am?!” She half-shouted, saluting the captain of the Wonderbolts.

“Those were some impressive skills you showed back there in the Crystal Empire, what say you to joining up with us? We could use a mare like you,” Spitfire inquired, wearing her blue formal attire with her medals and other accolades.

“Yes ma’am!” She replied, her hoof not wavering from its position.

“That’s good to hear, expect a formal invitation to the Wonderbolts Academy in the mail soon,” She said before turning around and leaving. Dash picked that exact moment to finally collapse and fall asleep.

Joystick was also partaking in the festivities, talking to Rarity of all mares.

“I’m surprised you weren’t as adversely affected like the others where when we rescued you and the others from Fillydelphia,” The fashionista commented, taking a sip of red wine.

Joystick shrugged as he took a swig of the bourbon in his possession, “Well, you know what they say: you can’t break a pony the way you do a dog or a Timberwolf - the harder you beat a pony, the taller he stands.”

“That’s… an interesting outlook,” Rarity replied, raising her one eyebrow. “What are your future plans?”

Joystick finished his bourbon and placed the glass down with a clink, “Me? Well, most likely return to my job in the game store here in Canterlot. Not much compared to your lifestyle I’m sure.”

“Nonsense darling. You mustn’t think so low of yourself. Tell you what: come around Carousel Boutique in Ponyville sometime and I’ll take you on as an assistant if you’d like,” Rarity offered as her wine was drained.

“I’ll keep that in mind, thanks Rarity,” Joystick responded with a smile.

“Anytime darling,” She smiled back, “Well, it’s about time I got my beauty sleep, until we meet again Joystick.”

The unicorn nodded his head, “Until then I guess it’s time to split!”

The group finally went back into the castle for rest well earned. The next day, a new stained glass window was adorning the hallway with the others. It was pale blue with a large black obelisk in the centre. Around it were small figure representing the entire group with the Changelings and the Griffons in the ‘sky’ above the obelisk. All the figures were pointing smaller versions of their weapons at the obelisk as white streaks connected the said weapons with the obelisk. Beneath it read: ‘The Conquerors of Tartarus.’

Author's Note:

And so ends Dovahshy May Cry. I thank all of you who have taken the time to read this story. Shoutout to Friend of Bronies for his help in spotting typos as well as his support. Thanks to VectorGameplay for his support and his OC Joystick. These two deserve a bucking standing ovation for their contributions to this story that started out to be just about our favourite yellow mare, without them this would not have become the epic it is now. I thank Flutter-Shy for her support as well. But not to mention all of you who have upvoted and favourited. I plan on going through the chapters and doing some small edits where necessary. Friend of Bronies asked for there to be a sequel, I don't know if I'll do one. It's up to you if you would like me to do one.