• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Travellers and Trials

Dovahshy May Cry
Travellers and Trials
Author: Draconis187

The next morning the group found themselves at the beginning of the Wailing Woods, one day away from returning to Canterlot. Twilight and Nyx seemed to be getting closer, Joystick was still trying to convince the others that he should join up despite all he had to contribute was a dual barrelled revolver and Vergil still spoke with a cold, superior air about himself. Pinkie was overly happy about something and Dash was coming to terms with showing how she felt so she could unlock Nevan’s full potential.

The morning sun gave the Wailing Woods a calm, beautiful and safe feel to it. The leaves showed signs of differentiating colourations, from the dominating green to the sparse showings of red, brown and orange often associated with the Fall. Dash and Applejack looked at the leaves and turned to one another with a smile on their faces.

“Not long till The Running of the Leaves, right AJ?” Dash said with a smirk.

“Sure looks like it RD. Let’s try to not trip each other up this year, deal?” Applejack replied, spitting on her hoof and then pointing it to Dash who spat on hers and hoofbumped Applejack.

“Would you mind telling me more about that? I remember you ran it Twilight, but not much else as to why you ran it though.” Nyx said, overhearing the two competitive mares.

“You are really keen to learn aren't you?” Twilight said to a nodding Nyx. “Well, Ponyville was started by Earth ponies and they had to manually change the seasons without Pegasi or magic. They run through the forests at high speed and the vibrations caused by their running causes the leaves to fall to the ground. That’s about the gist of it. How di- wait, I told you I ran it didn’t I?” Twilight carried on. Nyx nodded again. Twilight sighed before continuing.

“I was curious about it and I wanted to try it out for fun. The key was to take it slow to conserve your energy and then run as fast as possible as you near the finish line. Rainbow and Applejack tried to outdo each other and as a result, didn’t do too well.”

Princess Cadance got up and off Clunker as he lumbered on through the forest with the rest of the group with Shining Armor still sleeping on Clunker’s back. She walked up to Twilight and Nyx, giving them a cheerful smile as she spoke.

“I really must thank you for rescuing us.” She said to the two.

“Nice to see you again Cadance.” Nyx said.

“Do I know you?” She replied, slightly confused. “You… remind me of somepony.”

“I am the reincarnation of Nightmare Moon.” Nyx replied, taking off her glasses to show Cadance her eyes to prove her point. “Don’t worry… other than the looks, I am nothing like Nightmare.”

“That’s… good to hear.” Cadance responded nervously.

“If you think you’re nervous, I am going to meet the two Princesses who know only of the pony I look like instead of the pony I am.” Nyx said, giving Cadance a very serious look.

“Don’t worry Nyx, I’ll make sure Celestia and Luna don’t do anything to hurt you, I promise.” Twilight said, smiling at Nyx.

“Thanks, I appreciate that.” Nyx replied, feeling slightly more at ease.

“Cadance you don’t have to thank us for the save, we had to come.” Twilight said to her old foalsitter. “I just hope we’re in time to save the Crystal Empire.”

“The Crystal Empire? Where is that?” Nyx asked, intrigued by the fact that there’s an Empire she has never heard of.

“Egghead.” Dash sniggered as she flew above the three mares.

“Yes, so what Dash?” Nyx said as she rolled her eyes. “Are you still sneaking into hospitals to read Daring Do novels?”

“How the hay do you know about that?!” Dash shouted. Nyx, Twilight and Cadance laughed as they continued their trek through the Wailing Woods.

**** **** **** ****

Celestia just got down from the balcony as she raised the sun. It wasn’t tiring, it was just that sometimes the sun likes to be stubborn and wants to stay down for a few more minutes, like a foal not wanting to go to school. Like a mother, Celestia managed to coax the sun out from its spot after Luna lowered the moon. She remembered the moon to be more agreeable and now she no longer has to do it thanks to Luna. There are times where Celestia wished she was the one who held dominion over the moon.

“Morning sister! How are you this morning?” Luna asked as she came across her sister.

“Not feeling up to talking to that Bloodwing that’s for sure. By my mane, why do we have to get a racist for help?!” Celestia cried out, slamming her hoof on the floor with a thud in frustration.

“Now you know why I’m more nocturnal than diurnal dear sister.” Luna said with a giggle. They both knew that wasn’t why as they shared a laugh. “If you need help with Bloodwing, just give me a call.”

“Thank you Luna.” Celestia said, nuzzling her sister on her neck with a smile on her face.

“We are sisters, we need to look after one another.” Luna said as a Night Guard came up to the sisters. “Yes Sky Shear?”

“Your Majesties, Bloodwing is requesting an audience with you.” Sky Shear said, bowing before the Princesses.

“I swear he’s going make me add alcoholism to my cake addiction.” Celestia complained as the two Alicorns ventured to the throne room as Sky Shear returned to his post.

**** **** **** ****

Pinkie was bounding up and down as Nyx walked up to her. The favour Pinkie asked for made her a tad uneasy and afraid.

“Are you sure you want me to do that? I’m not sure it’s even possible. That portal was unstable, how do you even know my body absorbed the energies from it?” Nyx whispered to the party mare.

“That’s easy silly! I checked the manuscript and it said that you absorbed the ambient demonic energies that surrounded the ritual that tried to bring a demon general into the world.” She replied with a grin. “That and I remember the last time I saw you, you were still a filly!”

“How do you know me when nopony else does?” Nyx asked, both intrigued and confused by how she knows her despite she had never existed in this reality.

“Duh! Aunty Pinkie will never forget you!” Pinkie said, giving Nyx a near choking hug.

“Thanks Pinkie. When we stop again, I’ll give it a go.” Nyx said with a smile.

“Oki doki loki!” She said as she continued to bounce along.

“What was that all about?” Twilight asked as Cadance finished thanking Twilight and the others for saving them.

“Just some crazy idea Pinkie had that she wanted to try out.” Nyx deadpanned as the group soldiered on.

**** **** **** ****

“Greetings Bloodwing. Why have you requested an audience with us?” Celestia asked, keeping her face as neutral as possible.

“I wished to apologise for my behaviour. My men and I were attacked on our way here by a bunch of traitors which had soured my mood.” Bloodwing said, bowing before the two sisters.

“I accept your apology Bloodwing, was there another reason for your audience request?” Celestia said, her voice warm yet serious at the same time.

“Yes, we need assistance with repairing our airships. Many have sustained damage from the attack, causing major problems for us, should we find ourselves in the middle of a firefight.” Bloodwing carried on.

“So you need our ponies to help you repair your airships?” Celestia repeated. Bloodwing nodded slowly. “I understand, I shall get some of the guards to assist you. You can expect them to meet you by your airships in the next hour.”

“Thank you Princess Celestia and you as well Princess Luna.” Bloodwing said, bowing low to Celestia and Luna.

“Something troubling you Luna?” Celestia asked, looking at her sister with a concerned face.

“Yes, he changed his attitude rather quickly, wouldn’t you agree?” Luna said, having observed the griffon.

“Yes, I noticed that as well. He knows when to kiss even a pony’s flank when he needs something but we have little choice in the matter. Go sleep dear sister, I shall see to the guards myself.” Celestia whispered to her sister.

**** **** **** ****

In the destroyed Crystal Empire, the bodies of the dead littered the streets like garbage. Buildings were now nothing more than rubble and the only still standing structure was the colossal demonic obelisk that continuously spat out demons of varying type, size and ferocity. A large statue of a human being stood on a throne built out of the rubble of the Crystal Castle. The few Crystal Ponies that survived managed to flee to the east, to the coastline cities of Baltimare and Maneapolis to name a few.

The demons never chased them beyond the city limits but the Changeling army was completely crushed, siege engines lay in ruins, the corpses of Bulls, Elites and normal Changelings alike were strewn across the streets and unceremoniously stomped over by demons as they were ready to begin a campaign of destruction over all of Equestria.

The statue surveyed the area with marble coloured eyes as a smirk crossed its lips. “I shall soon rule of this world as I do the Demon World.”

**** **** **** ****

“Okay everypony we rest here for now. Every able pony help set everything up.” Twilight called out to the group.

They had been travelling for the vast majority of the day and their hooves were beginning to hurt. The good news was that the injured were all in stabilised conditions as Nyx helped to heal them by changing their bandage dressings and making sure their wound hadn’t become infected. Twilight was impressed by her ‘daughter’.

“Where did you learn to bandage injuries like that?” Twilight asked.

“Very long story, one I’d feel comfortable not talking about.” Nyx replied as she finished wrapping up a filly’s leg.

“Thank you very much ma’am!” The young pale blue filly said with a smile on her face.

“You are more than welcome, I’m just helping out.” Nyx replied with a smile of her own. As she got up, she turned to Twilight. “I need to help Pinkie out with something, I’ll be back now.”

“Of course.” Twilight responded.

The hot pink mare met Nyx near the borderline of the campsite. She was wearing black, form-fitting clothing and a pair of thick yellow goggles on her head.

“You weren’t followed?” She said in a low whisper.

“Uh no.” Nyx nervously responded.

“Okay! Let’s do this Nyxie!” Pinkie cried out joyfully as she launched herself into the air.

As the duo went off to find a good spot, Rarity was standing facing Trixie, also outside the campsite. Each had their respective weapon.

“What was the plan again?” Trixie asked as she swung Cerberus around experimentally.

“I want to learn how to lose myself to the flow of the fighting.” Rarity responded, pointing to the Devil Arm on her back.

Correct Miss Rarity, let go of your fears, react and attack. Lucifer confirmed to the white unicorn.

“Please don’t call me ‘Miss’.” Rarity asked softly to the Devil Arm.

Of course. Lucifer responded, sounding slightly dejected.

“Right, ready or not Rarity, here I come!” Trixie bellowed as she ran at Rarity, swinging Cerberus around like a mad mare.

Rarity countered by throwing the blades out and detonating them. The shockwave sent both mares reeling backwards. Rarity gracefully somersaulted and landed on her hind hooves. Trixie on the other hoof was not as graceful, she collided into the dirt, skidding across the dirt before stopping a few metres afterwards. As she got up, she saw three blades shoot past her at high speed.

“Rarity!” Trixie shouted as the one blade took off a lock of her mane with it.
“Sorry darling!” Rarity shouted back, levitating the lost piece of mane before reattaching it to the rest of Trixie’s mane.

“Well at least you fixed it.” Trixie muttered as she gave her mane a small flick to see if her mane will stay together. Satisfied that her mane is not going to fall off any time soon, she carried on with her attack.

Trixie slammed the ground with Cerberus, causing a small fracture as the ice spikes burrowed their way out of the ground towards Rarity. She jumped out of the way with ease and landed on her hooves with ease once more.

**** **** **** ****

As the fight between the two unicorns raged on, Nyx and Pinkie were standing in front of a ritual circle like the one made by the Vanguards back in Fillydelphia. The main difference was the fact that the circle radiated a teal colour as it pulsated.

“Hello? Testing one.. two… three.” Pinkie called out to the circle as the portal opened and stabilised.

Two yellow eyes with red pupils appeared, the one seemed larger than the other though which made Nyx slightly uncomfortable. They were accompanied by two white eyebrows and a floating, white goatee.

“Ah, Pinkie Pie. What can I do for my favourite mare?” Discord’s disembodied voice called out from the portal, causing Nyx to step back. “Don’t worry my dear, I don’t bite. I don’t have any teeth to bite you with anyway.”

“Nice to see you too Discord.” Pinkie said with a smile. “I need to ask you something. Does Dante still have Alastor?”

“Yes, yes he does. It’s still in his cupboard, why? I heard you have Lady’s rocket launcher.” Discord asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s not for me silly! It’s for Nyxie here!” Pinkie said with a smile.

“I’ll ask him, hold the line for me.” Discord said as his facial features faded away.

“Uh, Pinkie? I-I really think this is a bad idea.” Nyx whispered to Pinkie as an unhealthy feeling of fear began to settle in the back of her head.

“Don’t worry, Discord’s harmless ever since he became our friend.” Pinkie jovially replied as she gave Nyx her enormous grin to cheer her up. Thinking for a second pinkie went digging in her mane before pulling out a cupcake with blue frosting and shoving it into Nyx’s mouth. “Have a cupcake! Don’t worry there aren't any hairs in it.”

Nyx had no options other than to swallow. It tasted just as good as the ones her Pinkie Pie baked. It’s rich texture and sponge melted in her mouth as she chewed it, earning Pinkie Pie a giant smile from the black Alicorn.

“Here you ladies go!” Discord’s voice rang out as a blade flew out of the portal. His eyes were back, watching the blade fall down and impale the earth between the two mares and the portal. It had a pair of dragon wings near the guard while the guard itself was that of a dragon’s head with its mouth open, complete with teeth. It’s pommel consisted of four skulls and a spike at the end.

I am Alastor. The weak shall give their heart and swear their eternal loyalty to me. A cold, callous voice said to Nyx.

“Uh, d-did you h-hear that?” Nyx said with fear completely taking root in her mind.

“Nopey nope!” Pinkie said with a grin, oblivious to the blade’s voice. “Are you loco in the coco?”

“I'm sure she’s fine. It must be the stress talking.” Discord said, rolling his floating eyes.

You wanted me, now claim your reward! The voice shouted in Nyx’s head, causing her to clap her hooves on the sides of her head.

“Who are you?!” Nyx shouted.

Alastor, now take me up and use me to decimate your foes! The voice shouted once more, clearly getting annoyed.

The blade shot out of the ground and tried to impale Nyx. Fortunately she grabbed it with her magic but was struggling against the sword’s persistent attempts to impale her. The blade was shaking fiercely, moving left and right to try and throw the Alicorn off. All of a sudden the blade stopped shaking, seemingly having given up.

You are worthy. Alastor said softly as it fell to the ground with a clang. The amount of magic she needed to hold off the blade took a bit of her breath out of her. The blade rose off the ground and slowly rested itself against Nyx’s body, not scratching or cutting a single hair on her body. My strength is yours if you can steel yourself in a fight when it is needed.

“That makes no sense!” Nyx complained.

It will be clear to you… in time. Alastor responded before falling silent.

“Thanks Discord!” Pinkie said, waving her hoof so quickly it became a pink blur.

Discord chuckled. “See you Pinkie and please hurry, I can’t stand having to constantly mutate pizza.”

“Oki doki loki!” Pinkie shouted with a grin as Discord’s eyes vanished. The ritual circle faded away as the two turned around… to see twilight standing in front of them.

“Uh, how long have you been standing there?” Nyx asked nervously.

“Oh not long, just long enough to see you get nearly impaled!!” She shouted as her mane and tail erupted in flames, her coat turning pure white.

“We’re sorry!” Pinkie Pie cried out as she grabbed onto Twilight in an attempt to calm her down. It worked somewhat as Twilight’s body returned to normal. “I had a hunch that the energy from the ritual back in Fillydelphia got absorbed by Nyx! I wanted to get her something to defend herself with while she was here. Please don’t be mad at us or just be mad at me.”

Twilight gave out a large, long sigh. “I’m not really that mad Pinkie, or you Nyx. I-I just don’t know what I could say to myself if we manage to open a portal. I don’t want to lose you Nyx. I tried to stop the blade from getting to you but something was blocking my magic.”

“I’m sorry Twilight.” Nyx said, hanging her head in shame.

“Let’s not think about it too much, celery soup?” Twilight asked, trying to smile at Nyx despite she came very close to losing her.

“Yes please.” Nyx muttered softly.

They were interrupted as Dash came hurtling towards them. “Come check this out: Rarity got her DAT!”

The four of them raced towards the battle between Trixie and Rarity. Trixie had activated her own DAT and was defending against Rarity’s attacks. As Twilight looked to the fashionista, the changes were apparent.

She was wearing a long red dress that billowed near the bottom. She had a rose in her mane, behind her left ear while the blade dispensers totalled four in number while the skull appeared to be playing some form of ballroom dancing music. Rarity looked elegant as she dodged every attack as if it were a choreographed dance move. The blades themselves hadn’t changed though but still maintained their air of danger as they hurtled towards Trixie.

Trixie created her sphere of ice and defended against the attacks. Twilight scanned the crowd to find Vergil and Fluttershy watching them attentively. Twilight walked around the back of the watching group to the two demon hunters and cleared her throat to get their attention.

“Miss Sparkle, what is the matter?” Vergil asked as he removed his hand from Yamato’s handle.

“I would like you to teach me to make those blades you use.” Twilight said firmly.

“Why? Don’t you have your spell books for that?” Vergil asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t have anything regarding offensive techniques. Princess Celestia banned those books from Equestria 790 years ago. Every copy of any offensive spell was destroyed and anypony attempting to create new ones were sentenced to death.” Twilight said, letting her book smarts show.

“What do you think Vergil?” Fluttershy asked as he placed his hand by his chin.

Vergil turned to Fluttershy, giving her a curt nod. “It should be possible, you are the more magically gifted one here. We just need to change the fact that instead of creating them out of demonic energy, you will be creating them out of your magic.”

The three of them walked off as Trixie and Rarity clashed one last time before stopping for the day. The sun had already begun to set as Twilight received her training in summoning spectral swords comprised of magical energy. While Vergil’s swords were more of a teal colour, Twilight’s were magenta in colour as she created them just as Luna’s moon rose into the night sky.

Trixie and Rarity were seen tending their wounds, their battle having gotten too intense for one another’s liking. Nyx had Alastor on her back as it crackled with electricity very now and then while Pinkie was handing out cupcakes. How she managed to bake enough cupcakes to feed everypony, only Pinkie knew and she wasn’t answering.

“I’m surprised you learnt to create them so quickly and I'm impressed.” Vergil said in a neutral voice.

“Thanks, I think.” Twilight said as she saw Joystick walking up and down. “I think my services are needed.” She said with a soft chuckle. “Something wrong Joystick?”

“Oh no I’m fine. Being locked up in a cell surrounded by Changelings is the most peachy experience I ever had.” He said with a sneer before his face softened. “Sorry, I’m just worrying about Canterlot… the Haystation 5 is supposed to launch tomorrow and I’m hoping to get it before they run out of stock. It’s supposed to be the best gaming system ever designed.”

Twilight shook her head. “You are worried about a gaming system, that’s all?” Joystick nodded his head as if Twilight just committed blasphemy.

“Of course! Don’t you see my Cutie Mark?” He said, showing her his flank. “My talent is playing games and trolling gamers.”

“’Trolling’?” Twilight said in somewhat disbelief.

“It’s when you say or do something just to annoy people and see or hear their reactions.” Joystick explained. “I once trolled an entire Equestrian Arts server and never got caught.”

“Well that’s interesting.” Twilight said as her left eye twitched. She walked off back to the group, observing the others as they confirmed who would be watching before those who weren't on watch duty yet went to sleep.

“Something wrong?” Nyx asked as she placed Alastor on the floor next to her so she wouldn’t hurt herself with it.

“Let’s just say that we seem to be picking up all sorts of ponies and leave it at that.” Twilight responded as her head collided with her pillow, sending her on a one-way ticket to Dream Land.