• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Garden of Storms

Dovahshy May Cry
Garden of Storms
Author: Draconis187

Chrysalis was pacing up and down the throne room, clad in full battle armour. The black steel covered almost every part of her body. It wasn’t very elegant nor was it very light, going for protection over form. She had two pouches of green crystal daggers, a lance and a very large broadsword on her. She used her magic to wield them in combat. She was getting more worried ever since one of the Changelings came in to tell her that Fluttershy dropped a building on top of one of her Elites, killing it.

The other Elites looked to each other, wondering what this creature is if it could kill an Elite. Whilst Chrysalis’ back was turned they discussed whether if was better to surrender rather than fight. They decided to forget it since that was against a single Elite and they were six, they should be able to deal with one supernatural pony hell bent on killing them. Right?

*** *** *** ***

As Fluttershy got to the Canterlot Gardens she noticed that even the animals had left. She shed a small tear after searching high and low for any sighs of an animal of any kind. Empty nests, burrows and no sound of any bird saddened her. She hadn’t seen another Changeling since that Elite she buried in the plaza. She found a bench and sat down, killing so many Changelings was starting to take its toll on her body. She didn’t need much time to recuperate but it was a necessary move.

*** *** *** ***

Snow was starting to fall as the group made their way up the mountain to Bleak Falls Barrow. Baral; Fluttershy and three wolves saw a lone tower guarded by two bandits. Hiding behind a few rocks and a tree, Baral turned to Fluttershy.

Now, see those people over there?” Fluttershy nodded. “Now those are bandits, mainly murderers, rapist and thieves. They will kill you or sell you without a second thought but stay here. I’ll call you once I've dealt with them, ok?
As he began to head towards the bandits he heard Fluttershy softly say, “Be careful.” Keeping his shield raised, he crept around the rocks and bushes as he made his way towards the tower. He was spotted as he came out of cover. An arrow flew towards him but it got deflected off the shield.

The archer tried a few more arrows but Baral kept deflecting them. He cut his losses and pulled out his Iron sword and charged at Baral. Hearing the commotion, the bandit on the top of the tower started to come down to assist her comrade. Baral blocked the first bandit’s attack with his shield and thrust his own blade into the bandit’s sternum.

The second bandit got down the steps and came at Baral with a greatsword. Before Baral could attack, one of the wolves jumped and bowled over the bandit. The other two were just behind the first, tearing at the bandit’s flesh. She was screaming helplessly as the wolves had knocked her weapon out of her hands. Baral watched this brutal savagery and turned to look at the rocks Fluttershy was hiding behind. He could see her head peeping over the rocks, looking at him and the wolves. He gestured for her to come and she flew over.

The bandit had stopped screaming, bleeding profusely from multiple bite wounds and scratch marks, evidently dead. As Fluttershy joined the group Baral was searching through the bandits’ pockets, pocketing some gold; the bow and a quiver of arrows; a pair of fur boots and gloves which he put on. He wasn’t interested in the greatsword but he turned to Fluttershy and presented the bow and quiver.

From what you told me about yourself and Equestria, you are capable of using your hooves like hands, correct?” Fluttershy nodded. “As I'm sure that you don’t want them to see you, I believe you may want to use this.” Raising the bow and quiver, Fluttershy took a step back. ”Don’t be like that, look as much as the wolves are a great help, people won't let a pack of wolves into the city but you may just be an exception since you can speak. I need someone I can trust. I trust you and I would be honoured if you would accept.

One of the wolves nudged Fluttershy, encouraging her to take the offer and the weapon. She took a big gulp and reluctantly took the bow and arrows.

*** *** *** ***

Feeling better Fluttershy got up and proceeded to go further into the Gardens. The trip through was still uneventful… until she got halfway through the Gardens. Standing with near to one hundred Changelings and three ballistae was another Elite Changeling.

Unlike the first, this one was much leaner. It had dark blue chitinous plating that cored its chest and knees; and it carried two long curved blades in its hooves. It let out a high pitched laugh at Fluttershy who drew her pistols, ready to unleash a hailstorm of lead.

Now, now my little Pegasus. I heard what you did to my friend, and I have no intention of fighting you.” It said, even its voice was high pitched, as if it swallowed a tank of helium. It moved to the side, as did the rest of its forces giving her a clear path through the Gardens. Fluttershy moved slowly towards them and kept her guns pointed at the Elite’s head.

As she got closer the Elite shot past her with blinding speed. Due to reflexes she let off a few rounds indiscriminately. Four Changelings fell to the ground and she noticed her head felt a little lighter. She looked down and saw that one side of her mane was cut off, what was left reached her shoulder instead of her flank. The Elite was looking at her with a sadistic smile on its face and came for her again but this time Fluttershy was ready.

She shot up into the air and flipped herself upside down. Using her wings, she spun herself around while sending a hailstorm of bullets towards the Elite beneath her. The Elite deflected them with its swords and cut a few in half in the process. She landed on the ground, standing between the Changelings and the Elite.

Attack!” the Elite said with a shrill cry. Believing they had the upperhoof, the Changelings began their assault. The situation started to deteriorate very quickly for Fluttershy who took a deep breath once more.

TIID KLO UL!!” Time slowed down enough for Fluttershy to look around and get a grip with the situation. The Changelings were coming at her with a variety of melee weapons; there was a number of arrows and crossbow bolts heading towards her; the three ballistae had fired at her and the Elite came at her again, swords raised.

Time was starting to return to its normal speed but now Fluttershy had a plan. She turned to the Elite and shouted once more.

FUS RO DAH!!” She shouted with all her might. The force hit the Elite square in its chest and sent it flying out the Gardens and into the streets Fluttershy came from. There was a sound of a faint crash in its direction indicating it landed… 5 miles away. She pulled out her swords and deflected the arrows, which killed a couple of the charging Changelings.

She sliced into the air, in the direction of the Changelings. They scattered as the two waves of lightning and fire flew at them. She then sent off a couple more, ending it with one single strike by putting the blades close to one another as she sliced vertically, hitting the ground. This sent a larger, combined wave of electrified fire at the Changelings, who were starting to panic. Using their panic to her advantage she pulled out Kalina Ann and impaled it into the grass and fired a mini missile salvo. Placing it back on her shoulder, she aimed and fired at a ballista. The Changelings scattered as the rocket collided with the ballista’s wooden frame, sending chunks and splinters of wood all over. One chunk hit a Changeling, knocking it unconscious; some splinters hit some other Changelings in the rear - of the formation, not their flanks - causing them to panic as well.

She put away Kalina Ann and pulled out her pistols. Realising that discretion is the better part of valour – that and the fact they planned on living for longer than the next few seconds – they began a very hasty retreat. As the last Changeling left the scene Fluttershy heard a shrill voice from behind her.

Cowards!! I guess I’ll have to kill you myself!” The Elite had returned, evidently seething with rage. Pulling out her swords and getting into a battle stance (the sword in her right hoof was in front of her, held horizontally while the left sword was over her head the tip pointing in the same direction she was facing. Her right hoof forward while her left hoof was at the side). The Elite came charging for her at that same blistering pace but Fluttershy wasn’t falling for it any longer.

There was a huge sound of metal colliding with metal as Fluttershy used the swords as shields. This Changeling was faster but lacked the same strength of the first one she fought. It tried to run with their blades still connected in an attempt to topple her and make her drop her weapons. As they started to move along the grass she caught on to his plan and used the momentum to make herself fall backwards on purpose. The Elite didn’t expect it and fell with her, but as she hit the ground, her hind hooves were… pointed directly at its chest. It a split second the Elite realised it had made a fatal mistake, a look of sheer terror on its face. Fluttershy bucked the Elite with all the strength she had in her legs, the force winded the Elite and forced it to drop its weapons as it flew directly upwards, towards the clear blue skies.

She pulled out Kalina Ann once more and shouted, “Smile and say ‘Cheese’!” She pulled the trigger and the rocket flew towards the now helpless Elite. Its reliance on speed over defence was its downfall as the rocket collided with it, creating a small downpour of green blood and body parts that showered over the Gardens. She walked up to the Elite’s swords and picked them up.

No, something feels off with these.” She remarked after giving the blades a few experimental swings. The blades felt… wrong as if they were filled with sorrow and regret, it depressed her. She impaled them into the dirt and looked towards the piece of her mane that the Elite had cut off. She looked at herself and noticed she had some of the Elite’s blood on her coat and fur. Luckily since this was the Gardens, there were a number of ponds nearby. After finding a large enough pond, she took off her coat, her armaments and walked into the water. As she got herself a little spruced up, she took her coat from the bank and gave it a little wash. Good thing it was leather.

*** *** *** ***

There were more bandits around the entrance to Bleak Falls but this didn’t deter Baral, in fact he relished the challenge. Fluttershy on the other hoof was frightened by the fact that she had to take another being’s life. She wouldn’t even hurt so much as a fly, she’d rather nurse it back to health and then release it. Baral had given Fluttershy the basic rundown of how to use a bow and arrow after they left the tower.

She had tried to use it but fell over since she had to stand on her hind legs since she needed both her front hooves to use the bow. One of the wolves helped her by having her lean against its body. They had spent a good hour at it and she was getting the hang of using the bow but she still needed practice with her standing though. Baral told her he’ll help her once they're done in the Barrow.

Two of the wolves distracted the bandits while Baral got closer. Fluttershy notched an arrow and aimed, she looked away as she let go. A dull thud was heard just after she released the arrow, confirming her kill. She fell onto her flank, crying. She had just killed someone… killed someone. Baral and the wolves mopped up the rest of the bandits with relative ease and – after the inevitable looting – returned to the crying Pegasus.

Baral hugged the sobbing Fluttershy who was mumbling incoherently. “There, there Fluttershy. Let me tell you a little secret: the first time I took a life was one of the worst times of my life. What was worse still is that it was my own father.” Fluttershy stopped crying to look up at Baral who was looking at her, with a small tear forming in his eye.

He was one of the local bandits’ right hand men and was wanted all over Hammerfell. Not to mention he was drunk whenever he came around to ‘visit’. He would beat my mother, my sister, me or all of us. One day he had beaten my mother so badly she wound up in a coma. When he came back the next time I took his sword and slit his throat. I was 12 years old at the time. After that I ran away and met a travelling merchant caravan. I have been on the move ever since and I've never returned home after that. Trust me; the first kill is always the hardest.

Fluttershy looked shocked at Baral’s story but it strangely consoled her somewhat. She collected herself and the group moved into Bleak Falls. The group found two bandits near a fire that was set up by the stairs, leading down into the Barrow itself. Baral signalled for Fluttershy to stay back while he snuck up behind the bandits, wolves in tow. Taking a deep breath, she picked up and readied an arrow, aiming at the other bandit. Baral got up and slit the throat of the bandit he came up behind, as he did so, Fluttershy let the arrow loose and turned away so she didn’t see it hit him.

After sifting through the bandits’ inventory, picking up a few coins and potions along with the odd book, the group went down into the bowels of Bleak Falls Barrow. Baral warned Fluttershy about the Draugr but she seemed fine with taking out what was already dead, it was the living she worried about. A few of them awoke to the intruders’ exploring but Baral stabbed one in the chest while Fluttershy sent a few arrows flying.

How is your aim that good?” Baral inquired after another of Fluttershy’s arrows hit their target… through its eye socket.

Pegasi tend to have better vision than regular ponies.

That doesn’t explain how you are holding the bow without shaking.

That’s because I needed to have steady hooves when tending an animal’s wounds. Sometimes there is a small object lodged deep inside an animal, usually a tooth or something similar. So if my hooves were too shaky I’d end up doing more damage than the object.

With some thanks to the wolf that was being used as a crutch, Fluttershy was getting a little better at standing on her hind legs. “Lyra would be proud.” She thought to herself.

They soon came across a chamber with some overly large spiders living in. Fluttershy tried reasoning with them but they were beyond her capability and attacked. They were easily dispatched but something caught their eyes or more accurately, their ears. They turned to see a man trapped in a web, blocking the passageway beyond.

Please, cut me loose!” he shouted pitifully. He was holding a golden claw in his right hand.

Why?” Asked Baral with a stern look on his face.

I know how to get into the inner sanctum.

Baral sighed and grabbed his sword.

*** *** *** ***

After getting herself cleaned up, Fluttershy grabbed her swords and began to clean the blood off them in the now slightly green tinted pool.

*** *** *** ***

After taking the claw from the bandit’s dead body the group made for the inner sanctum of Bleak Falls.

I should have known he was going to run, nice shot though, aiming for his knee.

I didn’t want to kill him. You did that.

He would’ve stopped us from our mission and besides, he stole that claw from a merchant in Riverwood.

That ended the conversation as they got to a dead end, almost. Their way was barred by a large door with strange symbols above a slot that the claw appeared able to fit in. Baral put the claw in the slot and turned it. Fluttershy and the wolves pressed themselves as low as possible while Baral was against the stone door, as the claw had triggered a dart trap. After reassessing their situation Baral noticed the claw had symbols similar to the ones on the door. Cue lightbulb moment. He grabbed the symbols on the wall and turned them, checking the claw each time to make sure he got each symbol correct. He placed the claw in the slot one more time and the door slide into the ground.

The group went into the cavern and found what they were looking for: the Dragonstone. A map of every buried dragon in Skyrim, Farengar would be pleased. They didn’t take much notice of the large wall behind them, which started to emanate a strange aura, transferring a strange power to them. With their prize in hand, they left the Barrow without delay. They went to Riverwood to return the claw – with the wolves staying outside the border, for safety reasons – and got some gold for their trouble. Baral suggested heading for the inn for bedrest as night had fallen on the town.

*** *** *** ***

Fluttershy dried off her swords and put on her coat. Feeling better from washing herself she looked back into the reflection, her attention brought to her mismatched mane. Taking her dagger she cut off her mane on the other side so it was even.

Hopefully Rarity can fix my mane.” She said quietly to herself, remembering what her friend did for a sea seprent when it lost part of its moustache. As she put the cut hairs in one of the coat's many pockets. "Why Dante needs this many pockets is beyond me but I wont deny they are useful."

With just the Castle overhead, she was ready for Chrysalis’ next play. She got into the Castle’s grounds and still found nopony.

Where could they all be?” she wondered. As she observed her surroundings she noticed this place would useful in an ambush, with all the high points crossbow and bow wielding Changelings could hide and attack from. She also spotted the observation tower she fired the rocket at. Despite the tactical advantage of the grounds, she didn’t get any strange feelings like at the plaza or at the Gardens, indicating an ambush.

*** *** *** ***

The third Changeling Elite was with its subordinates… heading through the caverns under Canterlot. One of the lesser Changelings came up to the Elite, an expression of worry across its face.

S-sir? Why are we going through the caverns when the pony is on the surface?

That is because we won't be fighting that demon pony. We are leaving, if our loving Queen is too arrogant to see when she is beat and insists on sending more of us to the slaughter then I have no Queen.” It replied in a semi-normal voice. It sounded like it was speaking through a fan, while carrying a modified ballista over its shoulder. The Changeling understood and reported to the others behind them. They all agreed that they were prepared to be branded traitors in return for keeping themselves alive.

Soon the echoes of their hoofsteps and buzzing wings faded from the caverns, never to set foot in Equestria again for fear of what would be waiting for them.

*** *** *** ***

Fluttershy entered the halls of the Castle and looked around. Still more desolate, empty halls, stretching to the left and the right. She knew where the throne room was albeit faintly since she hadn’t been inside the castle in over a year. After a while she began to wander around aimlessly, evidently lost. So much for knowing where the throne room was.

*** *** *** ***

The group headed for Whiterun once morning had arrived. The wolves were helping Fluttershy with her walking and she was getting better with every attempt.

As the group neared Whiterun, the wolves went back into the wilds but would return once Baral and Fluttershy left the city. She gave them some comfort though, saying they won't be too long. The guard was suspicious of the yellow Pegasus but let her through once Baral informed him of her involvement in Jarl business.

As they went through the city, towards Dragonsreach in the Cloud District, Fluttershy noticed all the stares she was getting. She was getting embarrassed but Baral reassured her by placing his hand on her shoulder and smiling at her.

Jarl Balgruuf the Greater was sat in his chair at the end of the hall but their business was not with him. Going through the door on the right hand side of the hall, they entered Farengar’s little ‘home’ within a home. He was talking to a woman wearing dark clothes with a hood.

Fluttershy stayed outside the doorway while Baral dealt with Farengar. As she waited a guard came running towards the Jarl, clearly scared. She watched the guard speak feverishly to the Jarl, whose face started to lose colour. Baral came out, his blade emanating a faint green glow from its sheathe.

They learned a dragon had just attacked the tower to the south west of Whiterun. Baral saw Fluttershy shudder as the guard said the word ‘dragon’. Baral gave her some comfort again as she saw he was just as worried.

The Jarl’s housecarl: Irileth was going to lead a team of men against the dragon. Balgruuf wanted Baral to help as well since he met a dragon back in Helgen and his knowledge – albeit limited – may come in handy. Fluttershy tugged on his newly acquired boots.

I'm coming too.

Are you sure?

No, but it is hurting people so I have to help.

Okay. We’ll stop by Warmaiden’s and get you some armour and maybe a better bow.

While Irileth rallied the guards, the duo went to Warmaiden’s just across the guards’ barracks, near the entrance to the city. Baral seemed to know how to forge and purchased the materials he required. Looting dead bandits and crypts never seemed like a more profitable profession. He made her a Steel Composite Bow (from a mod, can't remember which), a quiver of Elven Arrows and Steel Armour. He made sure each piece fit Fluttershy perfectly, not too tight and not too loose. Two sets of Steel Armbands completed her armour but she wouldn’t wear a helmet since she was weighed down enough from all the metal.

She managed to get used to the armour after a few minutes and found she could still stand so she tried walking on her hind hooves once more. Irileth had finished inspiring the guards for battle and the group left Whiterun course set for the tower. The tower looked as if it had seen better days, multiple parts of the brick and mortar were strewn across the ground. The wolves appeared amongst the rubble, their eyes focused on finding the dragon.

Fluttershy readied her bow but she was shaking, she was petrified of dragons. Spike was a baby dragon so that never bothered her, but this was a fully grown dragon and to make it worse, this dragon was from another world so she wasn’t sure if it would listen to reason. They soon heard a roar overhead and they all scattered for cover.

It appeared: large, brown scales, two black horns on its head and – to Fluttershy’s dismay – breathing fire. A guard screamed as the dragon swooped down and caught him, later dropping him from a great height. Fluttershy heard one of the guards muttering to another from behind a collapsed wall.

His wife isn't going to be too pleased when we tell her this.

I doubt she would even believe us, I still don't and yet I'm looking at it.” the other guard replied.

Fluttershy got into a rage and shot up after the dragon. She landed on its back and punched with her front hooves in several key areas around the base of its wings. She may not be fond of dragons but she does know about pressure points. These dragons seemed to have the same pressure points like the ones back in Equestria and the result of her punching was hardly surprising. The dragon roared and plummeted to the earth, colliding with the earth with enough force to cause a mini earthquake. It opened its eyes to see Fluttershy giving it ‘The Stare’ (Stare Master S1 E17).

Well, what do you have to say for yourself mister?!” she shouted. “That man you killed had a wife, you inconsiderate jerk! Apologise!

The Dragon chuckled and took a deep breath. Just as he brought his head down to incinerate Fluttershy, one of the wolves knocked her out of the way at the last minute. There was nothing left of it except for the long scorch mark the dragon made. The other two attacked the dragon as well but one got bit in half while the other got crushed by the dragon’s claw.

Standing up as well as she could and readying her bow, Fluttershy fired at the dragon, aiming at the pressure points in its legs. Baral had appeared and was keeping the dragon distracted while Fluttershy fired. The other guards tried to help as well but were knocked back by its tail, and the arrows they fired were having little effect. The ones Fluttershy used did penetrate its scales and bit by bit, the dragon was losing use of its appendages. Seeing this, Baral made one final charge and as the dragon breathed in, he threw his blade at the dragon, aiming for the area between its lower jaw and its throat. One gargled roar later, the dragon fell, defeated by the duo adventurers.

As they were about to celebrate their victory something weird happened. The dragon started to burn and parts of its flesh was flaking off at an astonishing rate. As it did so a strange light began to envelop the dragon and it flew towards both Fluttershy and Baral. Once the light faded, the dragon had become a skeleton and the duo looked at each other with a ‘Dafaq!?’ look on their faces. Baral felt the strange desire to shout a word he had never heard before, the same went for Fluttershy. Then together they Shouted.

FUS!!” A powerful wind shot out from both of them and travelled a short distance until it ran out of momentum. They looked at each other with massive shock.

Dragonborn.” A guard said, looking at the pair in awe.

*** *** *** ***

Searching through the castle was starting to yield results as part if her memory returned. She now remembered where the throne room was. Readying Kalina Ann she made for the throne room and her friends. One more battle, one more victory and she can wake from this nightmare of events that had taken a year away from her.

Author's Note:

For those of you wondering, yes. I had to use the arrow cliche, it wouldn't be a Skyrim crossover without the most over-used and hated comment made by a guard.
Those who have played DMC 3 will have noticed the Gunslinger move Fluttershy used. If you have, give yourself a pat on the back.