• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

First Impressions

Dovahshy May Cry
First Impressions
Author: Draconis187

The journey had been hard, excruciatingly long for some ponies’ tastes but this part of the adventure was finally over as Canterlot loomed in the distance as the group made their way through the winding mountain trail that lead to Canterlot’s East Gate. The morning barely broke as the guards saw the return of the victors.

“Miss Sparkle, why are there Changelings with you?” The one Guard, Silver Shadow, an Earth pony said in an uneasy tone as he looked at the Elites who were still carrying the wounded.

“Listen here you pathetic excuse for a pony.” Gilda seethed at Silver Shadow. “As much as discussing why we have Changelings with us seems like the most interesting discussion to ever have, we don’t have the time. Get these ponies to the hospital… now!”

“O-ok.” He said shakily as Gilda’s terrifying demeanour shook his resolve like a leaf in a hurricane.

“Sorry about that.” Autumn Breeze said in a calming voice. The Pegasus looked to the Elites before turning to the rest of the group. “He’s still a rookie, only came out of the academy about a month ago. Silver Shadow!”

“Yes ma’am!” Silver Shadow saluted.

“Go and inform the Princesses that the Fillydelphia party has returned. Then I want you to inform them that the group will be at the hospital to drop off the injured.” She commanded. “Dismissed!”

The guard wasted no time and bolted for the castle as fast as his hooves could carry him. At that the group followed Autumn Breeze to the Canterlot General Hospital. As the group made their way through Canterlot’s many streets, the Elites were given scared looks as several ponies locked their doors and barred their windows while others seemed to be just as afraid of the Devil Arm carrying ponies and Vergil. As the group reached their destination, the smell of sterilised floors and medical equipment hit everypony’s noses as they entered the reception room.

“These ponies need medical attention as quickly as possible!” Autumn Breeze bellowed down the white halls of the hospital.

Wasting as little time as possible, a bunch of doctors and nurses scrambled around getting drip stands, beds and stretchers before they managed to see who or what were carrying their patients. The Elites were given a few scared looks but they were dismissed as they saw the conditions their patients were in.

“Let’s go meet the Princesses.” Autumn said with a smile.

The group exited the Hospital to see the Princess of the Night flying down from the clear sky to greet them. She looked slightly uneasy as she noticed the small task force of Elites but that luckily allowed Nyx to avoid her gaze.

“Greeting everypony, I am relieved to see that you all made it back safely and that the mission was successful.” She said with a genuine smile on her face before addressing Gilda. “Your uncle has already arrived Miss Gilda. Would you mind informing me as to why you didn’t see it fit to warn us of his attitude?”

“Oh, I guess it slipped my mind.” Gilda replied with a callous smirk.

“I see.” Luna replied, facehoofing herself. “Regardless, everything seems to be in place for the next part of this horrible battle for Equestria, follow me.”

“This is where we must part I’m afraid since I have to return to my post. Hopefully that rookie hasn’t set our post on fire yet.” Autumn deadpanned as she flew off.

The group then followed Luna though Canterlot as they walked over to the castle, Clunker was getting rather fearful looks as Applejack rode on his back. Cadance and Shining Armor were having a heated argument of some form while Nyx tried her best to keep herself under Luna’s radar. Although, trying to hide when one is an Alicorn that stood taller than the average pony while carrying a demonic lightning blade tends to make things more difficult.

“You okay there Nyxie?” Pinkie whispered, seeing her nervousness as soon as Luna had arrived.

“Yeah I’m fine as long as she doesn’t notice me.” Nyx said in a low whisper.

“I already noticed your presence. I am not some blind foal.” Luna said, not looking back at the two.

“Oops, busted.” Pinkie whispered while trying to stifle a giggle.

“It sure looks that way.” Nyx muttered under her breath as she came out from behind the Elites.

The group found themselves in the castle’s throne room, awaiting Celestia to return from meeting Bloodwing yet again. The griffon had been making several demands during the course of the day. Luna sat on her throne, her attention drawn to the black Alicorn. She piqued the Night Princess’ interest; she seemed very familiar as if she were an old friend she couldn’t remember. The awkward silence was eventually broken as Luna motioned for Nyx to step forward. As she complied, Twilight stepped forward as well.

“Twilight? Is something the matter?” Luna asked her sister’s favourite student.

“Nothing’s wrong Princess, it’s just that anything you say to her, you can say to me.” Twilight responded as she bowed at the base of the stairs to the Princesses’ thrones.

“I… see. Now then, would you care to tell me your name?” Luna asked with a slightly stern voice.

“I-I'm Nyx, Princess.” Nyx nervously responded as she too bowed at the throne.

“I see. Now Nyx, are you a princess as well?” Luna asked, keeping her face neutral as she spoke.

“Not exactly…” Nyx said slowly, her voice beginning to shake as fear began to take root once more.

“Care to elaborate?” Luna questioned further.

“Well, I seem to have come from a parallel universe.” Nyx explained. “The last thing I remember before coming here was going to sleep in Twilight’s bed- no I don’t mean it like that!” Nyx said in shock, frantically waving her hooves in front of her in a vain attempt to stop Luna’s train of thought at her choice of words. “Let me rephrase that, please.”

“That would seem to be the most prudent decision.” Luna said, having only raised an eyebrow at Nyx’s words while secretly trying her hardest not to laugh.

“Back in my timeline I was still just a filly, like Apple Bloom or Scootaloo.” Nyx said, trying her best to keep her composure at her poor choice of words earlier. “We were having a thunderstorm and it gave me a small scare so Twilight allowed me to sleep next to her on her bed.”

“I see. Is your vision impaired or is there another reason to wearing those glasses? I can sense some magic in them but it is not the corrective magic usually associated with those types of lenses.” Luna pointed out as she looked at Nyx’s glasses but giving the impression she was still looking at Nyx.

“Um… I’m not sure but… um.” Nyx said as she shifted nervously, her heart feeling like it was ready to leap out of her throat and do a tap dance for all to see. She then looked at Twilight who gave her a smile and nodded encouragingly to her inter-dimensional daughter. She raised her hooves and closed her eyes, slowly removing the glasses off her nose as she made them vanish into their pocket dimension.

Luna’s mouth was agape due to shock as Nyx opened her eyes to reveal the very ones she possessed many months ago. “Nightmare Moon?”

This time, Twilight leapt – metaphorically, not physically – to Nyx’s aid, her voice filled with conviction. “She is not Nightmare Moon, not really. she only looks like her because she was created by Nightmare Moon’s fragments through a spell that was intended to revive the true Nightmare Moon. The spell in question was interrupted and Nyx is the result of it. She harbours no hatred for anypony and does not wish to bring about eternal night. She doesn’t even possess the same Cutie Mark.”

“How can you be so sure?” Luna asked.

“She is my daughter, in a sense. The other Twilight from her dimension/timeline/universe, whatever adopted her while she was a filly. I think I feel the same connection they do and it’s strange but at the same time, natural. I love her like my mother loves me.” Twilight responded.

“I hear your words and I know that my sister trusts your judgement. As a result, I shall as well.” Luna replied, her face cracking a smile. “I suggest leaving the report of your adventures in Fillydelphia until my sister arrives. Oh, and Nyx? Come here for a second, I have the most fantastic idea!”

Nyx was unsure but obeyed the request. As the Luna whispered into Nyx’s ear, she seemed distressed but then slowly nodded her agreement in whatever her request was. Nyx looked a little worried as she walked down the steps but gave Twilight a reassuring smile as she turned her body to mist and flew up into a dark corner on the ceiling.

“Princess, wha-?” Twilight asked as she turned her head to Princess Luna… only to see her give Twilight a wink before vanishing in a puff of smoke dark blue smoke.

Twilight remembered that wink but couldn’t place it, she knew Luna winked at her in the self same fashion but before she could place it, Celestia arrived. She looked around in an attempt to find her sister before turning to Twilight with a confused look on her face.

“Twilight have you seen my sister? I was told that she was waiting in here with all of you.” She said, utterly perplexed at her sister’s sudden disappearance. She gave a small sigh as she walked up to her throne.

“She just left Princess but she didn’t tell me where she was going.” Twilight told her mentor truthfully. She couldn’t lie to her mentor and besides, she didn’t know what Luna was planning with Nyx.

Celestia sighed. “I worry about her someti-.” Celestia was cut off as purple crystals encased her hooves and her horn, preventing her from casting any magic. As Twilight and the others ran up to Celestia’s aid, they got blown back by a strong gust of wind. As Twilight got up she found she was the only one in the throne room with Celestia as the large doors sealed themselves.

“Ah, my dear sweet sister.” A cold voice rang out from all directions. Twilight was trying to force the doors open but to no avail.

Everypony on the other side of the door was bashing on it with their respective weaponry but even that had no effect on the door, silently mocking their attempts to enter.

Meanwhile Twilight gave up and tried once more to get to her mentor to assist her. As she reached the steps, the voice rang out once more.

“Twilight Sparkle, you are proving to be quite the pest aren’t you?” A dark mist appeared from above them, solidifying to form Nightmare Moon in all her former glory, from the purple eye shadow she wore to the azure armour on her head, chest and hooves. “All that will end, now.”

The same purple crystal encased Twilight’s hooves and horn from out of nowhere, trapping her. She looked at Nightmare Moon and saw nothing in those turquoise eyes of hers, no pity, and no remorse.

“Why are you doing this?!” Twilight shouted with tears starting to fall from her eyes.

Nightmare chuckled. “Why revenge of course. Now my dear sister, where were we?” She said with an evil smirk as she walked up the stairs towards Celestia.

Celestia looked shocked and frightened as Nightmare licked her lips, baring a pair of fangs she was never known for having. She walked up to Celestia as she tried to break the crystal with brute force, her head next to Celestia’s as she whispered slowly with a devilish grin.

“Gotcha.” Celestia turned to Nightmare in utter shock as she just winked, her body glowing white as she shrank in size. As the light faded, Luna stood in her place, still smiling with a grin.

“Sister, w-what, w-why?” Celestia asked, stammering as she tried to process what had just occurred. Luna just blew a piece of her mane out of her view as she gazed at her sister.

“Come on Tia, it’s not like you don’t pull pranks on me every once in a while. I still owed you for that day when I was bathing.” Luna said, teasingly sticking out her tongue at Celestia. “It’s alright now Nyx, you can stop now.”

The purple crystals encasing the two mares turned to mist as it began to converge next to Twilight, solidifying and eventually becoming Nyx once more. She was not wearing her glasses and so Celestia saw her eyes.

“Sorry Princess, Luna really wanted to trick you and begged me to help her.” Nyx said sheepishly. “Sorry Twilight, I just really want to get the Princesses to like me and I thought that helping Luna with her prank would get her to like me.”

Luna wrapped her hooves around Nyx’s neck with a giant grin. “It’s more than fine with me, did you see Celestia’s face?! She looked absolutely terrified! Oh, we should lower that barrier.”

In an instant the doors burst open with massive force, blowing the doors off their hinges as they rocketed across the room before shattering into splinters. The group were shocked at the fact that nothing went wrong as Luna explained the details of what just occurred. Pinkie Pie, Rainbow, Gilda and Joystick laughed after they learned it was a simple revenge prank.

“Why are you laughing?!” Twilight scolded before clasping her hooves over her mouth. “No offence Princess but that was a little out of line, even for you.”

“I must agree, that was rather stressful for me, I felt like it was that day again. I doubted I could go another thousand years alone.” Celestia said with a saddening expression on her face.

The awkward silence that fell upon the occupants of the room was broken as Joystick spoke up.

“Well, you know what they say? When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! ‘I don’t want your damn lemons! What the hell are these?!’ Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Colt Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am?! I’m the stallion who’s gonna burn your house down… with the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” He shouted with an angry look on his face.

“What has that got to do with this?” Twilight asked.

Joystick chuckled. “Nothing, I thought I should say something to break this tension. What do you think?”

“That was funny!” Pinkie laughed, soon Rainbow let out a laugh and pretty soon everypony shared a good few giggles at Joystick’s comment.

“I'm sorry Luna. I guess I should have seen you taking your revenge sometime.” Celestia said to her sister with a smirk as she lovingly nuzzled Luna’s neck. “Please just don’t do something that drastic next time?”

“Of course.” Luna responded as she placed her hoof around Celestia’s neck. “Now then, Twilight would you mind informing us of what happened during your mission at Fillydelphia?”

“Of course but everypony else has their own side to tell as we separated as we entered the city.” Twilight responded as everypony sat together, regaling their various tales of the battles they fought, the demons they battled.

They spoke of Cerberus, Phantom, the ritual that brought Nyx into this world and the DATs that everypony had unlocked so far as well as the requirements that the others had. Only two had yet to release their DAT: Nyx and Rainbow. Princess Cadance and Shining Armor spoke of the tortures they faced at the Changelings. Nyx was upset over her aunt and uncle’s fortunes as Celestia and Luna informed them of the Crystal Empire’s fall.

The first thing they were worried about was the safety of their citizens. Celestia hung her head as she spoke of the reports. There were only 243 citizens still alive… from a population of 3412. Cadance wept as the gravity of the news hit her. It hadn’t been long since the Crystal Empire had returned from its banishment.

The atmosphere was dark and unsettling as Twilight tried to turn the subject’s focus by addressing Broken Skies. “What will you do now?”

Broken Skies had kept relatively quiet as along the trip, only offering short sentences like Big Mac since he really didn’t have much to talk about.

“Well, I believe we will help out, isn't that right?” He responded, addressing the other Elites who nodded in response. “We need to find out what happened to the main Changeling army that came from the Crystal Empire. Those demons came from that direction which means that the Crystal Empire is under attack from these demons.”

“Well, we’ll need to come up with a game plan.” Bloodwing’s voice came from behind. “Hello niece.”

“Sup Uncle Bloodwing!” Gilda replied with a grin as the two shook claws. “How are you, you filthy pile of bat droppings?”

“Getting shot at almost everyday of my life. How is everything with you, my pathetic niece who causes me to rinse my eyes after seeing?”

“Nearly getting torn apart by monsters from another world and getting tossed around like a ragdoll. Other than that, I’m awesome.” Gilda said with pride.

“So nothing’s changed? Well, as I was saying: we need a plan as we get to the Empire. The airships can handle transportation easily and give long range fire support. Now anyone know about these demons?” Bloodwing inquired. “Gilda, be a dear and get me a map of Equestria please?”

“Why don’t we just carry on this conversation in the War Room?” Gilda suggested, feeling the I.Q. of her uncle dropping with each passing moment.

“Ah yes, lets. Which way is it?” He asked, looking down the hallway.

One winding trip through the castle and one very colourful one sided shouting match from Bloodwing to a maid who was unfortunate enough to bump into him later, they were in the War Room. The War Room was roomy enough for every combatant to fit in comfortably as Celestia got out the maps of the Crystal Empire that were supplied to Canterlot when it returned as well as several other maps that shoed the pathway to the Empire.

“According to these maps, the trip itself will be a few days despite travelling by airship, then there is the possibility of being ambushed by the Are’ Dagger on the way if Gustav made repairs.” Bloodwing said with acid in his voice.

“Still chasing that waste of feathers?” Gilda commented with her arms crossed.

“His fleet, the 67th ambushed us and took out a good number of griffons in the process. You could say I have a number of bones to pick with him.” Bloodwing said, his voice still seething from barely contained anger.

“Right, now let’s look at this map shall we?” Bloodwing said, motioning everypony to listen in, his rage seemed to just vanish as professionalism took over. “There are two towns and a city that separate Canterlot here.” Bloodwing pointed to Canterlot on the map then to a town called Hoofington, then to another called Detrot City then finally to Stalliongrad. “These are most likely either under Changeling control or are under attack from demons. If they attack us, we fight back.”

“The trip itself should be five days. We leave at first light two days from now since the repairs to the fleet will only be finished then. For now, attend to your family or loved ones. That is all.” Bloodwing concluded.

“You are all welcome to stay at the castle until the airships are ready to depart if you would like.” Celestia offered the group.

“Sure, it is beginning to get late.” Twilight accepted as she noticed the fading daylight from one of the windows. “I will head into Ponyville tomorrow to check up on Spike before coming back.”

Celestia nodded as the others accepted the invitation to stay at the castle. Joystick turned to Luna and gestured his desire to speak privately.

“Yes Joystick, what is the matter?” Luna asked as the two walked out of the War Room.

“I need to ask you: are you a gamer? I've seen a particular gamer with the handle LunarPrincess54 but as far as I've seen, nopony uses ‘Princess’ in their handle names.” Joystick said.

Behind them the others were walking to the dining hall to chat and await their evening meals that would be prepared by the best chefs Equestria has to offer.

“I don’t know what I am going to do with her.” Celestia spoke up, scarring Luna and Joystick. “Sorry, I did not mean to startle you. Luna has what she calls ‘game days’ were she stays up all day and plays until she needs to raise the moon in the evening. I know our need to sleep is not as strong as the average pony but after a week, Luna could barely stand.”

Luna blushed as Celestia just exposed her biggest habit. “At least I don’t eat my weight in cloud cake, sister.” This time it was Celestia’s turn to blush.

“Mares, who can understand them?” Joystick muttered to himself as the two Princesses giggled at each other’s comments.

“Sorry Joystick. To answer your question: yes I do partake in electronic entertainment programs.”

“Cool, how about we do a game-a-thon tomorrow or sometime? I need a good wingpony to go player trolling with me.” Joystick replied with a malicious grin.

“Deal.” Luna replied, giving her own malicious grin as she hoofbumped Joystick.

“What evil force has just been unleashed on my subjects?” Celestia groaned as the two laughed.

The dinner service was uneventful to say the least. Nyx had something different to eat since it wasn’t Twilight who was going to make celery soup. Gilda and Bloodwing were flinging insults at each other like bitter enemies, laughing every once in a while as one of them said a particularly colourful one. Fluttershy was eating next to Vergil; Rarity and Trixie were still apologising to each other as they ate.

Luna and Celestia sat at the head of the table as they ate their meals: Luna had Moon Pie while Celestia had a salad despite secretly grabbing a bite of Cloudsdale Cloud Cake which was placed under the table, in front of her seat. Celestia panicked as Luna moved the cake slightly to the left as Celestia levitated a second fork to grab a bite. Luna gave her sister an innocent smile once she found the cake again. The Changelings refused to eat since they actually couldn’t but the chefs and staff that walked past had some of their emotions fed upon by the group. They were reassured that the effects of having their emotions drained would fade in time.

Afterwards the group walked their full stomachs to their chambers, the Mane 6 had their old rooms from when they came to Canterlot either on personal business or when the Princesses summon them. The others were given rooms nearby while the Changelings and Clunker had guards outside their doors. Applejack had Clunker sleep in her room since he seemed to look up to her with the loyalty of a dog. The griffons’ rooms had tougher bedding so they wouldn’t rip the beds apart.

Joystick found his quarters were renovated with the latest form of flat-screen TV and the latest Haystation 5. Vergil’s room sported a bed large enough for him to sleep on comfortably. The bed was actually a spare for the Princesses since Vergil did stand taller than them. Nyx was sharing Twilight’s room, they placed a second bed, large enough for Nyx to sleep on, next to Twilight’s own bed.

With the night in full swing in Canterlot below the castle, Celestia went to sleep so she would be well rested for the next day. Twilight and Nyx fell asleep quickly. Pinkie was singing ‘Smile’ in her sleep. Rarity was dreaming of her next fashion line, basing it off Lucifer when she activates her DAT. Trixie was worried about Thunderlane and the others, so she tossed and turned in her bed for a short while. Joystick was playing against Luna (each were in their respective rooms) in Colt of Duty: Modern Warmare 3. Needless to say, they were neck and neck for points until Luna caught a break which secured her lead.

The next few days were going to be interesting for Ponyville when the group arrive to check up on their loved ones.

Author's Note:

Well, another chapter, the site got updated and now I can barely find anything anymore. Ugh back to the learning curve for me while the rest of you can enjoy the chapter!