• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Second Chances

Dovahshy May Cry
Second Chances
Author: Draconis187

Dawn was breaking when the train had finally arrived in Ponyville Station. Trixie, Thunderlane along with a few other ponies were standing on the platform, stretching their legs from the long trip from Las Pegasus. Trixie looked out to the rest of Ponyville a short distance away from the station.

“Go.” Thunderlane said with a knowing smile.

“What?” Trixie responded.

“We all know you want to make amends, go. I’ll tell Celestia why you couldn’t make it. I'm sure she will understand.” Thunderlane said, egging her on.

“Thank you Thunderlane.” She said softly as she walked off the platform and headed towards Golden Oaks Library.

**** **** **** ****

Fluttershy got up early in the morning to feed the animals as she used to do. As she got to the bottom of the steps she saw Vergil still asleep on the couch. She smiled at the half-demon and tried to tip-toe towards the kitchen. Vergil opened his eyes to see Pinkie Pie’s face two inches in front of his own.

“What are you doing?” Vergil said.

“I'm here to give you your wake up call!” She cried with glee.

Vergil got up and looked over to Fluttershy who was trying to get to the kitchen silently.

“Sorry Vergil, I didn’t mean to wake you.” Fluttershy responded while Pinkie bounced into the kitchen.

Vergil threw the blankets off himself and folded them up. Angel was near the doorframe that lead to Fluttershy’s kitchen, tapping his foot on the floor impatiently.

“I think the rat wants his food.” Vergil commented to a fuming Angel.

“Angel! Don’t be so inhospitable to a guest. Trust me you don’t want to make him your enemy.” Fluttershy said to Angel. “Would you like some breakfast Vergil? I'm afraid all I have is oats or muesli.”

“If you have plain yoghurt I’ll have the muesli.” Vergil responded, now having gotten up from the couch. “Do you have somewhere I can freshen up?”

“The bathroom is upstairs, the first door to your right. The shower is just a bit short since it was designed for a pony.” Fluttershy said with a smirk.

“I’ll make do. I won't be long.” He said as he walked up the stairs, making sure not to bump his head on the ceiling as he climbed higher onto the second level.

Angel was pulling on Fluttershy’s leg, making crude gestures in the direction of the stairs.

“Angel Bunny mind your manners! You don’t know Vergil like I do, he has been through so much pain in his life that it clouded his judgement.” Fluttershy said with a small tear rolling down the side of her face as she made breakfast for Vergil, herself, Pinkie Pie and Angel.

**** **** **** ****

There was a knock on Twilight’s door which made the mare fall out of bed with a crash. Rubbing her head, she walked down the steps. Twilight usually got up early to open up the Library but thanks to going out to the Wub and Cello the previous evening made her arrive back home later than usual. Whoever was at the door was still knocking.

“I'm coming! Hold on for a se- Trixie?!” She gasped as she opened the door with her magic. “What are you doing back here in Ponyville?”

Trixie nervously dug at the ground with her hoof, nervous as she carefully thought how to respond.

“I was actually on my way to Canterlot but I thought I should come over to make amends for the Alicorn Amulet incident last year.” She began.

“What’s with the first person? And where is the cape and hat you usually wear?” Twilight asked, noticing the change in Trixie’s demeanour.

“It got torn apart when Las Pegasus was invaded. I still have them though… for personal reasons.” Trixie responded. “ I wish to properly apologise so… I'm sorry.”

“Oh Trixie, I already forgave you when you learnt your lesson after our rematch.” Twilight said, hugging the blue showmare, causing her to tense up. “If anything I was going to ask if you wanted to study magic with me but you left so I wasn’t able to.”

“Thank you Twilight, really. When I heard that Ponyville and Canterlot were taken by the Changelings, I feared the worst. What happened?” Trixie asked.

Twilight explained to Trixie how she and the other four ponies were captured when they tried to free Celestia.

“Sadly we were in a very tight spot, if it wasn’t for Fluttershy-”

“Wait… Fluttershy? The timid yellow Pegasus animal caretaker? That same Fluttershy?” Trixie asked, dumfounded. Twilight nodded. “Forgive me if I find that hard to swallow.”

“I know it sounds crazy, trust me even I still find it crazy but Fluttershy blew open the doors to the audience room with something called ‘Kalina Ann’. The Elites that protected Chrysalis attacked her but, she killed them.”

Trixie’s mouth was agape in shock. “She killed them?! How?! My best fireworks do nothing but make them angrier.”

“She shot them with her guns and killed them with these two big black blades she carried with her.” Twilight responded.

Trixie fell on her rump in revelation of how Fluttershy had changed since she last saw her before she fled. As she tried to process all of this there was a huge thunderclap that had her jump three feet into the air. Twilight shook her head.

“It’s only Rainbow Dash and the weather team preparing the thunderstorm for later today, I doubt the train will be leaving until it’s over.” Twilight said but Trixie shook her head.

“The train would have left without me by now. I asked Thunderlane to leave me behind and I’ll catch up afterwards.” Trixie said with a smile. “But I would like to take you up on your offer to learn more magic. How about after this mess is over we have a fair, proper magic duel?”

“Trixie… it would be my pleasure.” Twilight said.

**** **** **** ****

After breakfast, Fluttershy went outside to feed her animals. Vergil had long since showered – with some difficulty – and gotten dressed. As Vergil saw her attend her animals, he noticed how happy she seemed to be, even when there were two animals disagreeing: an otter and a seal. If it were Vergil delegating the situation, he would have most likely killed both of them and continued on his way without a single thought.

Fluttershy discussed the situation and both points of view before coming up with a mutually beneficial compromise. He smirked as she walked back up towards him. Pinkie Pie had left for Sugarcube Corner to help out the Cakes with Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake. Vergil thought they were varieties of cake until Pinkie explained – whilst rolling on the floor laughing her mane off – that they were the Cakes’ foals.

“Fluttershy, you haven’t changed since I left that day.” Vergil remarked.

“Neither have you Vergil.” Fluttershy responded with a small grin. “Let me get my things and I’ll introduce you around Ponyville.”

“Hey! That’s my job!” Pinkie cried out, looking angrily at Fluttershy.

“How about we both do it?” Fluttershy suggested.

“Weellll… okey doki loki!” She giggled with her hoof up in the air.

“Sounds logical since I'm going to be here for a while.” Vergil commented.

“Why did you come here? Actually the better question would be: how did you get here when I couldn’t?”

“I believe it was through the same entity: Discord.” Vergil replied as Fluttershy entered the cottage to get her coat and weapons.

**** **** **** ****

Five more hours away, Legion and Rebel were nearing Ponyville. As they were getting closer, they were getting more nervous about meeting the ponies. They landed in a meadow and opened up their bags of provisions to eat.

“Legion, do you have any idea on how we are going to go about this?” Rebel asked, biting into a dandelion sandwich.

“I do have an idea since I doubt two Changelings walking into a pony town going: ‘take me to your leader’ would go too well.” Legion responded whilst having a sip of water from a canteen.

“Well what is it? Don’t keep me in suspense.”

“We do what we do best: hide in plain sight.”

**** **** **** ****

Twilight and Trixie were studying magic in the library. Twilight learned very quickly that despite Trixie’s showboating, she was actually a very competent magic-wielder. She had sent Spike to get more ink and parchment for Trixie to take notes. As they went onto barrier spells, they heard a commotion coming from outside.

“I wonder what has gotten the town in such a buzz.” Twilight mumbled as Trixie went to look out the window.

“Well Fluttershy and Pinkie are walking around with some tall blue creature with a small patch of white hair on his head. The rest of him appears to be bald.” Trixie observed.

“Well, let’s pack up the lessons for now and go introduce you to Vergil.” Twilight said as she placed a bookmark in the book and placed it on the table in the middle of the room.

The two mares left the library and caught up with Fluttershy, Vergil and Pinkie Pie as Rarity and Applejack came over the bridge ahead of them. Rainbow Dash could be seen flying across the sky with a few other Pegasi, moving clouds around.

“Hello ev- what is that mare doing here?!” Rarity screamed as she saw Trixie standing next to Twilight.

Having heard this, Dash came careering down from the clouds above and landed with enough force to kick up a dust cloud around her friends. She walked up to Trixie, positively fuming with rage.

“How dare you show your face around here after what you did the last time!” Dash shouted. Vergil raised an eyebrow as he observed the situation in front of him unfolding.

“Dash.” Fluttershy started.

“You first come here with your arrogant, self-serving attitude.” Dash said, not hearing Fluttershy.

“Rainbow.” Twilight said.

“You humiliate all of us in order to make yourself seem superior.” She continued, still not listening.

“Dash!” Fluttershy shouted.

“You make up that fake story about defeating an Ursa Major and once you met an Ursa Minor, you froze in fear.” Dash said, continuing to berate Trixie with her past mistakes.

All of a sudden there was an explosion as Pinkie fired off a rocket from Kalina Ann into the air where it harmlessly detonated. She had a blank expression on her face as the group looked at her.

“There you go!” She said, instantly smiling again as she put Kalina Ann in her mane. Vergil was visibly shaken once he saw the rocket launcher disappear into her mane.

“Don’t ask.” Fluttershy said to a confused Vergil. “Dash, Twilight wouldn’t be hanging around Trixie unless she had a good reason and you know that.” She said to a still angry Dash.

“She’s right Rainbow. She came back to make amends and apologise for what happened all that time ago.” Twilight said, smiling slightly at Trixie who nervously smiled back.

“Why did she take so long to come back to apologise then?” Dash pointed out. Trixie hung her head low.

“I was afraid you wouldn’t accept my apology.” Trixie started.

“Damn right we wouldn’t!” Dash spat back.

“Dash, let her finish.” Twilight snapped back. Dash merely rolled her eyes.

“I'm sorry, to all of you for everything I put you through, for every embarrassing thing I did to you. I was such a fool, so caught up in playing to the cheers of the crowd that I lost the sight of the more important things in life.” Trixie said, tears starting to fall down her face.

“What might that have been?” Vergil inquired.

“Friendship. I saw Twilight’s magical prowess I saw my greatest rival but also somepony who could understand magic like I did. For me it was all about the art behind the magic. I learned that for Twilight it was the history behind it that intrigued her. I learned quite a bit from her in such a short span of time.” Trixie said.

“Humph! I still don’t trust you.” Dash snapped.

“I don’t expect you, or anypony here to trust me immediately. All I'm asking for is the opportunity to earn it and I’ll show you that I can be trusted.”

“Give her a chance Dash.” Fluttershy said to the angry mare. “Everypony has made mistakes, it’s a fact of life but we all deserve a second chance to turn things around. I made that gamble before and I gained a great ally and friend.” She said, looking up at Vergil who looked back with a knowing look.

“Fine, I’ll let you off the hook for now since I have to finish preparing the storm in the next twelve minutes.” Dash said. “I suggest you get indoors, it’s going to be a big one.”

Everypony ran into Rarity’s Boutique since she wanted to show Vergil something. Dash joined in once the storm began to start up. She still got wet and shook herself dry, purposely getting Trixie wet. Vergil noticed this behaviour.

She is just as hard-headed as my brother. Vergil thought.

Rarity came out with a red version of Vergil’s coat. It still had the three tails and the snake like pattern on the right hand side. On the inside it was a light purple colour instead of the original deep orange.

“So what do you think darling?” Rarity asked with a sparkle in her eyes as Vergil took off his blue coat and put on the red one. Surprisingly to Vergil the coat fitted him perfectly.

“I find it strange you were able to create this despite the fact I never showed you my coat.” Vergil deadpanned.

“Oh please you don’t give me enough credit. I saw your coat from enough angles to make it.” Rarity said with a cheerful smile.

“What I was referring to the fact this coat fits me just as well as my blue one. How did you know my measurements?” Vergil replied.

“Oh that, well I have quite a keen eye my dear. I can tell your measurements from a distance without a measuring tape.” Rarity said.

“She used my coat as a base since you and Dante have the same build and height.” Fluttershy whispered to Vergil.

“I see.”

“Fluttershy! How dare you disclose my fashion secrets!” Rarity shouted.

“So Fluttershy, what happened after the Temen-ni-gru?” Rainbow asked.

“Well like I said the three of us ended up working in the Devil May Cry. Lady left after two days, she said something about preferring to work alone.” Fluttershy started. “Vergil took Dante’s bed in the upstairs room since Dante never used it.”

**** **** **** ****

Morrison walked into the still broken down shop. The group managed to get rid of the rubble inside but the reconstruction was going to take a while. Dante was sat on his chair with his feet on the desk again. He had a change in wardrobe after the Temen-ni-gru. He was now wearing black gloves along with a new coat that didn’t end in two coattails but it had black cuffs. He also wore a black long sleeved shirt and a red vest with multiple buckles. He had an open magazine over his face as he slept.

“Hey Dante, seems like you haven’t changed.” The middle-aged Caucasian man said as he took of his hat and coat.

“Well business is slow Morrison since you never get me any good jobs.” Dante replied from under the magazine.

“Well I’ve got a real simple one for you. It’s being a bodyguard for a little girl named Patty Lowell.” Dante removed the magazine from his face and got onto his feet.

“I don’t run a day care Morrison. Why is she so special?” Dante replied.

“Because demons appear to be targeting her. By the way, where is this brother of yours, Vernon?”

“Vergil, and he’s out in the alleyway with Fluttershy.” Dante deadpanned.

“Who the hell is Fluttershy? What kind of name is that?”

“I like my name thank you very much.” Fluttershy said from the doorway, standing next to Vergil. Fluttershy had Beowulf attached to her hooves. She was standing on all fours.

“Wait a minute, did that horse just talk?” Morrison asked.

“Pony.” She replied. Morrison was shocked.

“So how was training?” Dante sarcastically asked.

“She shows more promise than yourself.” Vergil replied coldly.

“So are you letting her keep that then?” Dante responded, pointing to Beowulf.

“Yes. I have no further use for it.”

“Okay Morrison, where is this girl?” Dante asked, changing the subject.

“In my car, you need to get her to the Lowell family mansion by six o’clock tomorrow evening.”

“That’s all?” Dante asked.

“That’s all.”

“Sounds trivial, yet I sense there is more to this than a simple drop off.” Vergil commented.

“Honestly I don’t care as long as I get paid. Oh Fluttershy, here.” Dante walked up to her and gave her what appeared to be his old coat.

“Your old coat? How chivalrous of you.” Vergil remarked.

“Not really dear brother. It is actually a spare I had in my closet but since Fluttershy’s armour was broken – by you I might add – I though she could do with a change in wardrobe.”

“Thanks Dante.” Fluttershy said with a smile on her face.

“Now let’s get this girl to the Lowell mansion. Oh and Fluttershy, it’s probably best if you don’t say anything. People tend to freak out when they see a talking pony.” Dante said as they exited the building.

Patty Lowell wasn’t a very polite girl as it turned out or at least to Dante who felt like insulting her every five minutes. She wore a pink hat and a white coat with brown pants. Her hair was blonde which brought out her blue eyes.

“I still don’t get why I need two bodyguards, especially such strange ones, I mean who takes their horse with them on a job?” She protested as the four of them went to the train station in Dante’s car.

Fluttershy felt compelled to say something but she refrained from doing so since Dante told her not to.

**** **** **** ****

As Fluttershy was recounting the details of her bodyguard job, the barrier protecting the Crystal Empire fell. The Changelings were laying waste to the local militia. They hadn’t fought in over a thousand years and they were paying for it.

A bull Changeling rammed itself through somepony’s home, the pony hiding inside was killed when the supporting wall fell on top of him. The bull Changeling continued to rush through the house until it came out on the other side. The house collapsed into a pile of rubble.

Screaming could be heard all across the city. Several Changelings played tug-of-war with a pony, literally pulling her apart limb-from-limb. Amidst all of this chaos and death, Clavus was casually walking up the main road to the Crystal Heart. Two ponies tried to stop him but one was impaled through the chest with Fluttershy’s fire enchanted Ebony greatsword while another had its head sliced off cleanly.

With the small delay dealt with, he continued walking until he reached the Crystal Heart. He took it with his magic which was a black colour and went up into the throne room inside the castle. He soon could be seen on the balcony overlooking the Crystal Empire. He chuckled as he saw his army destroying the city and massacring the Crystal Ponies. Some were being kept alive to either be slaves or as food.

“Soon he will arrive.” He remarked as he looked into a crystal mirror, revealing a deep red horn. He smashed it and chuckled again. “Yes, very soon.”