• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 4,399 Views, 722 Comments

Dovahshy May Cry - Draconis187



Fluttershy has disappeared, heralding the fall of Equestria as the Changelings invade. The yellow mare has returned after a year of absence to set things right but the Changelings are just the beginning.

  • ...
26
 722
 4,399

Showstoppers and Betrayals

Dovahshy May Cry
Showstoppers and Betrayals
Author: Draconis187

“Would you stop pushing me?” Vergil demanded.

The blue coat wearing half-demon was being pushed towards the Wub and Cello by Pinkie Pie.

“Nope! Not until I show you the club!” Pinkie decreed.

“I regret to inform you that I resent clubs and loud music of any kind.” Vergil replied, somehow failing to struggle against the party pony’s will and unnatural strength.

“Don’t be silly, Octavia is playing tonight.” Pinkie said with an enormous grin that made Vergil slightly uneasy.

“And who – pray tell – is this Octavia?” Vergil inquired with a raised eyebrow.

“She’s a classical musician and Vinyl Scratch’s friend.” Fluttershy responded. “She is the best cellist in Equestria.”

Vergil was now actually interested. True he didn’t care much for music but the classics spoke to him in a way that only he understood. He vanished in a blue blur and reappeared next to Fluttershy.

“This evening shows some promise after all, lead the way Pinkie.” Vergil said, gesturing to the pink pony with a casual wave.

Vergil had gotten a few stares on his way to the club with the gang. This was due to the fact that a human was only ever seen or heard of in folklore. There was one particular unicorn that doggedly maintained her belief that humans still existed though.

As the group reached the club entrance Vergil saw the club’s giant neon sign: it had a vinyl record behind the word ‘Wub’ and a cellist’s bow behind the word ‘Cello.’ The record had dark and light blue rings flashing in a random pattern while the bow was just a simple, plain brown and white colour. Octavia wanted her part of the sign to not give entrants a migraine like Vinyl’s did to her… on multiple occasions.

The gang entered the club and there were a number of differences made after opening night. There were no flashing, multi-coloured lights this time. Instead they were all a single, pale shade of white. The amphitheatre shaped area had rows of red leather seats. The separate rows were separated by steps as it now resembled a real amphitheatre. Standing on a raised platform was Octavia with her prized cello in one hoof and her bow in the other.

She impressed Vergil with her music (which is an achievement). There were few that could play a classical song he liked but he liked the one that Octavia was playing. He was mildly surprised that a pony would be able to appeal to his cultured side. The group got Vergil to the bar area and sat down. Vinyl Scratch was acting as the bartender for the evening. There was one thing different about her… she wasn’t wearing her signature glasses.

“Hey dudes what can I- whoa, who is your tall friend here?” Vinyl asked, looking at Vergil.

“Vergil.” He deadpanned.

“He is from another world Vinyl.” Twilight said matter-of-factly.

“Cool, so what’s your poison then Verg?” Vinyl asked with a grin.

“Vergil.” He replied. “Water.”

“Sheesh, not much of a talker are you?” Vinyl said as she gave Vergil his drink. After she did so, Vinyl proceeded to down some bourbon straight from the bottle.

“I hope you are not giving that to the ponies here, it’s unhygienic.” Twilight pointed out.

“Don’t worry Twi, it’s from my personal reserves back home.” Vinyl responded with a grin. “She’s really good isn't she?” Vinyl said to Vergil, who was listening to Octavia’s next song.

“I must agree that she has quite a refined taste for the classic arts.” Vergil said.

“That cello means a lot to her. She’s used it her entire life since she found her talent in playing classical music.” Vinyl responded to an intrigued Vergil.

Vergil didn’t respond, instead he chose to listen to the grey pony’s music. He was fully enraptured by her talent.

I'm sure she could get even my uncouth brother to appreciate the classics.’ Vergil thought to himself.

The evening dragged on until Applejack left so she could get up early the next day. Twilight left soon after so she could send a report on Vergil’s arrival to Celestia. Rarity left to start a new project, she was apparently smitten by Vergil’s coat and had to make another one for him in red. Rainbow Dash left since she needed to help out with a thunderstorm the next day. Pinkie Pie vanished sometime during the evening and hadn’t returned. Her friends knew better than to ask about her whereabouts and Vergil wanted nothing to do with that insane mare.

**** **** **** ****

Legion and Rebel had now being flying for three straight hours and had landed near a forest clearing to rest.

“Legion?”

“Yes Rebel?”

“Do you think this is a good idea?” Rebel asked with slight fear in his voice.

“I honestly can not say but this isn't Clavus. I remember he used to be kind to his subjects. Now he has been killing them without any form of remorse or care. I wonder what happened to him that day when he left on that trip.” Legion responded with his head hanging low and his voice solemn.

“Yeah, remember it was him who belayed the order to kill us once they found out we needed to eat actual food?” Rebel recalled with a small tear running down his face.

“I could never forget that act of kindness. ‘No matter what a Changeling’s condition may be, we all have a place in the Hive.’ Even Queen Chrysalis agreed with him.” Legion recounted, his voice starting to choke up as he began to sob as well.

“We s-should rest, w-we’ll need all of our strength to r-reach Ponyville by midday.” Rebel said, now almost come over with tears.

**** **** **** ****

The train was three hours away from Ponyville Station. The train was only going to stop to refuel before continuing towards Canterlot. Trixie was in the third back carriage, her private carriage. She didn’t sleep in there, she actually used it to store her cape and hat, the necklace that had Zecora the Zebra’s doorstop attached to it, several maps of Las Pegasus, and movement reports on the Changelings in Las Pegasus amongst other forms of parchment, charts and paper that held tactical value.

In the two back carriages was Trixie’s ‘artillery’. She used the same fireworks that she used in her shows but several parts of the apparatus she had in her inventory were moderately to highly modified. She even had one that was a barrel of several firework launching cylinders attached around it. The weapon was capable of firing 30 fireworks a minute.

Sadly all her fireworks were not military grade and therefore lacked the required punch to deter the most hardened Changelings. What they lacked in killing power though, they made up in their ability to disorient and confuse. The fireworks were severely bright and loud enough to shatter nearby windows.

Trixie looked at the cape and hat she used onstage. The cape had multiple tear marks and the jewel buckle was missing completely. Her hat was all but destroyed, the brim was almost torn off and the top was completely gone. She shed a small tear as she gazed upon it. As she looked she remembered the circumstances surrounding it coming into her possession.

“Trixie, are you alright?” Thunderlane asked as he entered Trixie’s carriage.

“You know this cape and hat Thunderlane?” Trixie asked without looking back at him. He didn’t need to see her tears; they needed their leader to be strong.

“You wore that whenever you were onstage performing.” Thunderlane replied.

“Correct but you don’t know it.” Trixie began. “I didn’t have a particularly bad time growing up but it had its moments. My father abandoned my mother and I when I was but two years of age. I was never told why since my mother died when I was ten.”

“I had spent the remainder of my fillyhood going from one foster home to another. Baltimare was a harsh place for growing fillies. For three consecutive decades it had the highest crime rate than any other city in Equestria.”

“One day though, something strange had happened. Along with the usual mail my seventh foster family received there was another parcel… addressed to me? Needless to say I annihilated the wrapping to get to the gift I had received.”

“I guess this was inside?” Thunderlane said, pointing to the cape and hat. Trixie nodded, still not looking back.

“Correct, the parcel had no return address or name. I asked the mailmare who gave it to her but she just said it was waiting for her back at the post office. It carried a note with it: ‘Always loved but never forgotten’. The strangest thing was the familiarity of the hoofwriting. I checked through some old love letters my mother used to write to my father and found the styles to be identical.”

“I was at her funeral, I saw her body being lowered down into the dirt and yet I felt like it made sense. Ever since then – and after I discovered my talent for magic shows – I left Baltimare with my first wagon. It was pretty rundown and had seen better days in terms of cleanliness but I made the most of it knowing I had a guardian angel watching over me. After a few years though, I became bitter at the fact that no matter how hard I worked, I never once had another pony who wanted to be my friend. The only ponies that came up to me only wanted a private show, some more ‘private’ than you’d think.” Trixie shuddered as she said this.

“Long story short: I ended up cold and heartless. Always pandering to the screams of delight from the crowds. No matter how much money I made, I was never truly happy. Then I came to Ponyville and the rest is history. Thank you Thunderlane.”

“What for Trixie?” Thunderlane asked, clearly confused as to why she thanked him.

“For listening to me ramble on about my past. I guess you can only keep your skeletons in the closet for so long huh?” Trixie said, wiping a tear away.

“Our past shapes us into who we are today. For better or worse we can let our past haunt us or we can come to terms with it and move on.” Thunderlane said slowly as he gave her a small hug.

“That’s pretty deep for a Pegasus like you Thunderlane.” Trixie remarked.

“There’s more to me than my dashing good looks.” He said with a devilish grin.

**** **** **** ****

Fluttershy had insisted on Vergil staying in her cottage since he didn’t have a place to stay. As they got close to the cottage, Vergil stopped.

“Vergil what’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked.

“Have you been keeping your skills sharp?” Vergil said.

“Not really, the Changelings haven’t been to great a challenge and I completely thrashed three griffons but I have seen some action.” Fluttershy responded.

“I suggest then that we train. Pandora is a weapon that is best to learn how to use instead of ‘winging it’ as my brother likes to do.”

Fluttershy nodded and pulled out Pandora. The two of them went off into a clearing not far from her cottage. They stood a good few metres away from each other. Vergil had his hand over Yamato’s handle, ready to counterattack Pandora’s attacks. Fluttershy held Pandora in her right hoof. It felt surprisingly light to her despite its size.

“You sure about this Vergil?” Fluttershy asked. Vergil only nodded in response. “Ok, here goes… something.”

She slammed Pandora on the ground and pulled it back slightly. Pandora then emitted a bright yellow glow around it, splitting slightly and a multi barrelled chaingun came out the front, pointing at Vergil (Jealousy). Fluttershy pulled on what looked like a trigger and the gun fired several rounds in rapid succession. Vergil deflected all of the bullets with the Yamato, sending them into the ground to his right.

“Interesting, try something else.” Vergil called out to a bewildered Fluttershy.

She then saw the case turn back to its original form and she then tried hefting it above her. The case emitted the same eerie yellow glow and lengthened and thickened in size, turning into a three barrelled weapon (Hatred). Pulling the – now obvious – trigger the weapon fired three missiles at Vergil. Vergil unsheathed Yamato and sliced at one – which exploded – while dodging the other two. The two remaining missiles collided with the treeline behind them, detonating on impact.

“That was more interesting. Try another.” He said wit a small grin starting to form on his face.

**** **** **** ****

The 54th Griffon Fleet was on standby near the Equestrian border in case something should happen to their ambassador. The Admiral of the airborne fleet was a red feathered Griffon called Bloodwing ‘the Butcher’. Renown for his calm under fire and his determination to chase a target to the end of the world. His ruthlessness in combat has inspired fear and admiration amongst the lower ranks and his superiors. He was nominated seven times for a promotion but he refused to go to a ‘soulless desk job’ as he put it. At 56 years of age, this old battle-hardened griffon still had fire in his heart.

“Sir we have an incoming communiqué.” The sound came through the radio room.

“What does it say?” Bloodwing asked.

“’Time to light the darkness with fate’s arrow’. Sir it’s from the ambassador. The alliance has been given the go-ahead.”

“Send word to the rest of the fleet. We are moving out to Canterlot… Initiate take off procedures!” He said, pointing into the horizon for dramatic effect.

“Aye aye sir. Initiating take off procedures.” The crew members repeated.

The fleet of 68 heavily armed and armoured airships roared to life as they slowly lifted off the ground.

The Griffon Empire’s main military focus is their air superiority. The airships serve as troop transports, cargo transports even medical assistance. What each one has in common is the fact that every one of them was armed. Griffons aren't capable of using magic so they fall back on steel and ingenuity. Their technology is far more advanced than any other civilisation in the world.

For long distance communication they employ radio signals to broadcast important information from squad to squad. The Royal Sisters know this and know of another use for their radio but in order for it to work they would need Trixie’s ‘artillery’. Even though this technology is beyond anypony else, the griffons still employ coded messages in their broadcasts.

The message was spread across the Griffon Empire in minutes and the 23rd, 98th and 45th Fleets mobilised towards Equestria. The rest were to defend the borders or lend assistance where needed.

**** **** **** ****

“V-Vergil, that… was very helpful, thanks.” Fluttershy said, almost on the verge of collapse from exhaustion.

In the few minutes they had been training Fluttershy had managed to create a large laser cannon (Revenge), a large bow-like weapon that fired missiles (Epidemic), as well as a large shuriken with swept blades that came back like a boomerang (Grief).

“That is enough for now.” Vergil declared, he placed his hand to his head and styled it back to its original look since it made him look a bit like Dante.

“Yeah, let’s head to my cottage.” Fluttershy said.

As they entered the cottage, Angel leapt at Fluttershy and almost cried since he was worried at this late hour.

“Sorry about worrying you Angel. This is my friend, Vergil. Vergil this is Angel Bunny.” Fluttershy said.

“A rodent… how nice.” Vergil said callously. Angel didn’t like Vergil’s remark and stomped on his boot.

“That is not going to work. I suggest you stop before I decide to make rabbit stew for dinner.” Vergil said coldly.

Angel could see in Vergil’s eyes that he wasn’t idly threatening him and so Angel ran off.

“You didn’t have to be so mean to Angel, Vergil.” Fluttershy said with a bit of disappointment in her voice.

“I don’t like him.” Vergil deadpanned.

“Well, you can sleep on the couch since the spare bed is too small. I’ll see if I can't find a larger one in Ponyville tomorrow.”

With that said and done, the two bid each good night and went to their respective beds. Fluttershy came back down after a few minutes with some blankets for him and found him laid down on the couch in her living room, fast asleep. Yamato was laid on top of him with a hand over the scabbard. Fluttershy threw the blankets over him which caused him to stir a bit.

**** **** **** ****

The 67th Fleet of the Griffon Empire was in an open field, five hours away from Canterlot. The griffons were hauling equipment to and from the airships in a uniform manner which was a testament to their training.

In the radio communications room, a signal was coming in. the griffon on duty decoded the message and ran off in search of their superior officer: Gustav. Gustav was a reckless and terrible griffon. He had a reputation for abandoning the wounded and the captured in the name of victory. There were five things that every griffon recruit was taught in boot camp: Trust, Loyalty, Respect, Dedication and Teamwork. They had to repeat it every day in front of their commanding officers.

Gustav took the message out of the communications griffon’s claw and dismissed him with a wave. As he read, his face curled into a twisted smile.

“Everyone!” He shouted, grabbing every griffon’s attention. “Get ready, we are moving out!”

“Sir!” Multiple griffons cried out, saluting and hurrying up.

Gustav got onto the bridge of the 67th Fleet’s Flagship: Ares’ Dagger. His first officer came up to him as he entered with a curious look on his face.

“What happened sir?” He asked.

“The Griffon Empire has agreed to an alliance with Equestria. Gilda has failed her mission. Get the doctor who administered that obedience serum and kill him. We will have to do this ourselves.” Gustav replied.

“Yes sir!” He said, saluting his XO. As he went off to kill the doctor Gustav walked up the bridge and looked out the 180° window. He pressed a button to open up communications across the ship and the rest of the 67th.

“Our master’s plan to halt the alliance proceedings while the Changelings attack the Crystal Empire has been foiled. Now we shall be fighting our own brethren as well. Take heart and don’t let the fact that we fight our kin cloud your aim. We are doing this for the betterment of the Griffon Empire as a whole. At the end of this you shall all be known as heroes! Long live King Clavus!” He shouted.

Author's Note:

Edit: Changed 'sheath' to 'scabbard'. Turned out Yamato's carrying 'case' was called a scabbard, not a sheath. You learn something new everyday.