• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 21,537 Views, 1,186 Comments

Eyes On You - UnlicensedBrony



When Twilight takes in the wounded Trixie to nurse her back to health, she sets the showmare on the difficult path of learning to trust. 'Twixie' romance/adventure story, set a few weeks after the events of 'Boast Busters'.

  • ...
31
 1,186
 21,537

14 - Worries And Kindness (Trixie)

“Eyes On You”

Chapter fourteen: Worries And Kindness

The journey to Manehattan wasn't exactly a short one, especially since the stallions pulling the carriage seemed to be 'pacing themselves'. Trixie and Twilight had spent a whole afternoon and evening in the carriage, snacking on Pinkie's cupcakes and chatting as they did, trying to enjoy the ride.

They ended up falling asleep sometime after dark. It must've still been quite early, Trixie guessed. When they awoke, though, it was well after first light, almost noon, and even then it was only because of one of the drivers shouting “Coming up on Manehattan, fillies! We'll be there in five minutes or so!”



“It's very impressive,” Twilight commented as she ran a hairbrush through her mane. “They've been pulling us for nearly twenty-four hours now. Do you think they ever get tired?”

Trixie stretched her forelegs out in front of her and smiled contently as her bones clicked into place. “We switched drivers overnight, Sparkle,” she purred, before drawing herself up with a smirk. “But I suppose you were too fast asleep to notice.”

The lavender unicorn lowered her head a little in embarrassment. “Oh. Right.”

“I thought you'd be up all night, cramming in some last minute studying,” said Trixie. She magically grasped and donned her cape as Twilight chuckled.

“You've already convinced me that it's no use. At least, not until we find out what the events are--” She shook her head. “--Besides, I figured that a good night's sleep couldn't do any harm.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “In other words, the carriage lulled you to sleep.”

“I-it did not!” Twilight threw back, along with a half-hearted death glare.

“You slept like a baby, Twilight – for over half a day,” said Trixie, smirking. “Not that it wasn't cute to watch for a while, but you make a terrible travelling companion.”

Twilight stuck her tongue out defiantly, drawing a giggle from the azure unicorn.

“But it's good that you've gotten it out of your system, I suppose,” Trixie continued, casting an idle glance towards the front end of the carriage. “We probably won't have much time for rest when the Display starts...”



The carriage soon rattled to a halt atop stone-paved streets, signalling their arrival. Trixie wasted no time in ducking out under the curtain-folds, even whilst her partner was still struggling with saddlebags.

As she stepped into the midday sunlight and blinked to adjust her eyes, she was greeted by the sounds of bustling civilisation. Dozens, if not hundreds of ponies milled up and down the vast streets that stretched as far as the eye could see. Granted, that wasn't very far – the sheer density of buildings, all tall and grandiose, meant that most of the city was hidden behind walls of homes, hotels, stores and all manner of other things. It was the polar opposite of the quiet, rustic village in which she'd spent the past month or so. A drastic change, but a refreshing one.

“Trixie, I can't get my saddlebags on!” came Twilight's distressed voice from behind. “I think I packed too much after all. Can you help me with the stra--”

The lavender unicorn broke off as she pushed out under the curtain folds and joined Trixie in looking out over the street before them. Her eyes went wide and her mouth formed an 'o', earning her a couple of funny looks from the passers-by.

“Wow. It's so big,” Twilight commented breathlessly. “I mean, I've been here before, but I don't remember it being so cramped together!”

Trixie rolled her eyes and reached out with her magic to adjust the straps on Twilight's saddlebags. “Well, if you came here with the princess, I'm sure she kept you from the busier parts of the city. It can be easy to get lost, especially at this time of year, when the Display is being held.”

“That's true,” said Twilight. “I actually don't remember much other than the stadium itself. I-- Ah!” She yelped as the straps tightened around her stomach, after which Trixie released her magic and smirked.

“There. Next time, don't pack so many books.”

Twilight threw her a sidelong glare. “Thank you for the advice...”

One of their drivers, a lean-looking brown stallion with dark hair, appeared from around the corner of the carriage and smiled up at them. “Here we are, fillies! The Pegasus Down Hotel. All set to go?”

“Yes, thank you,” said Twilight, before Trixie could get in so much as a mocking complaint about his slowness.

He proffered a hoof to help Twilight down, and the lavender unicorn took it gratefully. Trixie rolled her eyes. When the stallion offered the same hoof to her, she simply ignored it and jumped down on her own. The Great and Powerful Trixie didn't need help from anypony but Twilight Sparkle.

“Uh, well, glad to be of service!” said the driver awkwardly. “Enjoy your stay!”

With that, he bowed his head and darted off around the front of the carriage again, to rejoin his fellows. The vehicle jerked forwards a moment later, and steadily made its way down the street, leaving Twilight and Trixie standing on the pavement in its wake.

Together, the two unicorn mares turned to look up at the tall building before them. It had to be at least a dozen stories high, and was made of an impressive, dark blue stone. Balconies jutted out here and there, and windows dotted the entire height of the building, right up to the gigantic sign on the top which depicted a pair of crossed, yellow feathers, laying atop a pillow.

“So, this is where we're staying,” said Twilight idly. It wasn't really a question, more of a nervous observation, which seemed a little 'off' to Trixie.

“Weren't you the one who was excited about staying in a hotel?” said the showmare, with a raised eyebrow.

Twilight nodded. “I was. I mean, I am. But I didn't think it'd be so... big.”

“It'll seem smaller when we get inside,” Trixie assured her. “Come on, let's go check in.”

The glass-paned double doors led them into a wide, impressive lobby, and a comfortable warmth spread over them as they entered. Dark-carpeted floors underhoof stretched across the room and met with the midnight purple of the patterned walls, all lit up by a subdued light from the golden chandelier above. It wasn't at all a vibrant or colourful room, but Trixie got an almost eerie sense of 'welcome' as she stepped inside.

On the opposite side of the room was another set of double doors, which seemed, from this distance, to lead into some sort of dining room. Against the left wall, a straight staircase led upwards and disappeared through the roof. And, finally, in the corner to their right laid the receptionist desk, behind which sat a young mare – with a white coat and wavy, blonde mane – merrily sifting through paperwork.

Trixie cast a glance over at Twilight, expecting to be thrown a seriously questioning look after seeing the sheer scale of the huge lobby. But the lavender mare was too busy staring, wide-eyed, around the place to do so much as return the glance.

“Good afternoon, you two!” came a sing-song voice from their right. Trixie turned to meet the eyes of the receptionist, who was now beaming at them. “Are you here to check in?”

Trixie frowned at her still-mesmerised partner before trotting up to the desk. “That's correct. Trixie assumes that you know who we are.”

The receptionist beamed wider still. “Assuming that you are Trixie, then I know exactly who you are!” she chirped, a sickening sweetness in her voice. She turned her smile on Twilight. “And this must be your partner! Oh, how lovely! We see far too few filly couples in the Display nowadays.”

Trixie gulped and flicked back her mane, suddenly feeling a little flustered as Twilight started towards the desk. She wanted to correct the mare and say 'We're not a couple', but she held her tongue. It didn't matter what she thought anyway.

“This is Twilight Sparkle,” said Trixie, nodding as Twilight came to a stop beside her. “She's from Ponyville.”

“Hello, Twilight Sparkle from Ponyville!” sang the increasingly vibrant receptionist. “My name is Summer Breeze, pleased to meet you both!” She paused and leaned to the side to peer around Twilight's back. “My goodness, those bags look heavy. Leave them with me and I'll have somepony take them up to your room!”

“Oh, um, thank you!” said Twilight, gratefully unstrapping herself from the saddlebags and passing them over with magic. “And it's nice to meet you too. So, can you tell us what room we're in, Summer Breeze?”

“Of course!” The mare bent down and withdrew a piece of paper from under her desk. “It looks like we have you in room twelve. Wow, I sure hope you're not afraid of heights!”

Trixie and Twilight exchanged glances.

The receptionist giggled. “I'm kidding! You'll love it! Just don't look down! There is one thing I should mention though...”

“And what's that?” said Trixie, narrowing her eyes a little.

“Well, due to a teensy little mix up – which totally wasn't my fault, by the way! – the competitors for the Display have all been assigned double rooms this year, rather than twin rooms--” Summer Breeze offered a slightly less enthusiastic grin that was probably her attempt at 'apologetic'. “--And, although we were able to change room arrangements for some of those who arrived earlier, I'm afraid we're fully booked now.”

Trixie blinked. “So, we're stuck with a double room?” she said, suddenly feeling strangely emotionless.

“Sorry, but what's the difference?” Twilight chimed in, glancing between them for help.

“It means that there's only one bed,” said Trixie shortly.

“...Oh.”

Twilight fell silent, her expression unreadable.

As the moments passed, Trixie shuffled her hooves against the carpet. Part of her wanted very much to argue with the receptionist and demand that they be given a different room. But another, much more curious part of her made her keep quiet and wait. What, exactly, she was waiting for didn't become obvious until a few seconds later...

“Well, that's okay,” said Twilight finally.

Trixie turned to her with raised eyebrows, completely stunned by the statement. Twilight's casual smile wilted under the look.

“I-I mean, I don't mind letting you have the bed,” the lavender mare added quickly. “I'm happy to sleep on the couch. The room has a couch, right?”

The receptionist nodded brightly. “It certainly does--”

“W-wait a minute!” Trixie broke in. “You can't sleep on the couch!”

Twilight waved a hoof. “Oh, it's fine. I'm sure it's a very comfortable couch--”

“No, that's not what I meant,” said Trixie shaking her head. “I... Well, if one of us has to take the couch, then it should be me.”

“Don't be silly, Trixie. You'll sleep better in the bed, and you deserve the extra rest,” said Twilight. “Especially after I slept for so long this morning. Seriously, I'll be fine on the couch.”

Trixie scoffed and flicked back her mane. “No, you won't. Because Trixie is taking the couch,” she said haughtily. The beginnings of a smile were making their way onto her face. “You'll just have to make do with the bed.”

“No, really, Trixie. This is your event, you have to take the bed. I'd love to have the couch--”

“Well, that's too bad. I'm taking it!”

“Don't you think the Great and Powerful Trixie should have a Great and Powerful place to sleep?”

“Perhaps, but you're a lot more delicate. Trixie wouldn't be a very good partner if she let you sleep on the couch and you were all achy the next day--”

“Delicate? That is so--”

“D'aww!”

Without warning, Summer Breeze rose up with a wide grin on her face and unfurled a pair of wings that Trixie hadn't even noticed. The excited mare shot forwards and pulled both of them into a strangling hug. “Oh, you two are just the cutest! I wish more of our guests were like you!”

Caught off guard, Trixie gasped for air and struggled against the death grip.

When the crazy receptionist pulled back a moment later and rested her forehooves on her desk, she was still beaming. “Don't you fret, fillies! There's plenty of room on the couch for both of you to share, I promise!”

Trixie's mouth fell open a little and her cheeks heated up as she glared daggers at Summer Breeze. She wanted to tell her off, but no words came out – something about that annoyingly cheerful smile kept her quiet.

“W-whatever!” Trixie managed eventually. She purposely turned her head so that she couldn't see whether or not Twilight's cheeks were red too. “Can you just show us to our room now?”

“Aw, already?” pouted the receptionist. “Well, okay, I guess. Let me just get your key, and--”

“Actually, do you think we could wait for a bit?” Twilight broke in.

Trixie pursed her lips and waited until she was sure that her own cheeks had returned to their normal hue before turning to meet her partner's eyes. “What do you mean 'wait'?”

“I was thinking,” Twilight began. “It's still early afternoon, and I haven't eaten all morning. Could we, maybe, go and get some food first? And then, if you wanted, you could show me around Manehattan for a while... I mean, like I said, I've never been to this part of the city before. It'd be nice to see some sights before we turn in.”

“Oh, that's a wonderful idea!” chirped Summer Breeze, before Trixie could get so much as a word in. “I'm sure you'll have a lovely time! And here, take this--” She reached under her desk and pulled out a hoof-sized, red ticket. “--All entrants for the Display are provided with free lunches at the Daisy and Duke café, if it takes their fancy.”

Twilight tilted her head at the ticket. “Oh, that's really too kind--”

“No it's not!” Trixie almost snapped, grasping the ticket with her magic. “In fact, we'll go there right now. Come on, Twilight.”

The lavender mare gave a yelp as Trixie wheeled around and started shoving her towards the door, eager to get away from the crazy receptionist.

“Trixie, what're you-- Uh, thank you, Summer Breeze! We'll see you later!”

“Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle and Trixie! Don't forget to have fun!”

* * *

They found the Daisy and Duke café a good fifteen minutes later, on the street the ticket told them to go to. It was much more comfortably sized, and of quite a simple design compared to the hotel, with sleek, wooden floors, lightly-coloured walls and a large, glass window that completely covered two sides of the building.

Inside, Trixie found herself glancing around at all the different tables, at which dozens of different ponies sat, eating. Stallions, colts, mares and fillies, some of which were no doubt their fellow competitors for the Display. She tried to guess which pairs were their competition. Or, at least, that's what she pretended to be doing. In reality, she was searching for one stallion in particular, even if she knew it was pointless. If Flaire was here, Trixie would've noticed the moment they'd stepped through the door...

“What's wrong?” said Twilight, brushing up against Trixie's side.

Trixie shook her head. “Nothing. I just thought he might be here.”

“Oh... well, I guess he's eating somewhere else,” said Twilight awkwardly. “Or maybe he's just not here yet. Um, do you want to go and look for him?”

“Look for him?” Trixie scoffed. “I don't think so. We'll see him at the Display anyway, I'm not going to go out of my way to find him a day early.”

True, looking for him would be kind of desperate, and Trixie would never stoop to that, but she still would've liked for him to be there. She wanted to get in as much boasting as possible while she had the chance. But, as she kept telling herself, she'd see him tomorrow.

The two mares made their way over to an empty table near the window and perched themselves atop the wooden stools. Trixie tried to put the thoughts of Flaire out of her mind. She didn't need him distracting her from her food when he wasn't even there.

“So... here we are in Manehattan,” Twilight declared quietly. She flashed a tiny smile.

Trixie quirked a brow. “...Where we've been for about half an hour now. Is something wrong?”

“Maybe,” said Twilight, turning her gaze to the menu that laid open on the table in front of her. “I guess it's just starting to feel... real.”

“You're nervous,” Trixie grunted.

It wasn't at all surprising, really. Although Trixie never really got nervous before a big performance herself – being Great and Powerful as she was – it seemed a common trait among almost everypony else. They were afraid that they would make a mistake or forget their lines... as a result, they sometimes did. It was counterproductive, as Twilight would say, and Trixie was eager to nip it in the bud.

“You haven't got anything to be nervous about, Twilight. Like I've said a hundred times already, I'll be there with you. You just have to follow my lead and everything will be fine.” Trixie offered a kind smile.

Twilight's own smile morphed into more of a lop-sided smirk. “I know,” she said, before pausing to think. Trixie stayed silent, waiting patiently until Twilight looked up and met her eyes. “...But, that's really only part of it.”

Before Trixie could respond, a waiter appeared at their side, quill and paper held in his magical grasp. Twilight glanced up at him. “Oh, um, I'll have the soup, please.”

He nodded and turned to Trixie, who hadn't even had a chance to look at the menu. Not that it mattered anyway. “...Pancakes?” she guessed, eager to get back to her conversation with Twilight. “Do you have cinnamon-apple pancakes?”

He nodded again.

“Perfect. That will do,” said Trixie shortly, turning back to her partner. “What was that you said about 'only part of it'?”

As the waiter moved swiftly off, Twilight bit her lip and averted her eyes from Trixie. “It's not important, really--”

“It's important to me,” said Trixie, cutting her off.

Twilight glanced up at her, then gulped. “Okay. I guess making a mistake is one thing I'm worried about, but I can get over that if you're there to look-- I-if you're there with me,” she hastily corrected. “But that's not all. I'm... well, I don't really know how to say it.”

“You're still worried about performing in front of an audience?” Trixie guessed.

Twilight shook her head. “No. I mean, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “We'll be here for hours if you're going to make me guess. Why don't you just tell me? I won't snap at you or anything.”

“I'm not so sure about that,” Twilight muttered. Her lips were set firmly in a frown now, but she looked as if she was trying to convince herself to open up, so Trixie waited.

Eventually, Twilight cleared her throat. “I've been thinking about your magic show,” she said slowly. “Mostly about what everyone thought of you afterwards.”

“Oh.” Trixie found her own face drooping all of a sudden. So that was what this was about.

“Honestly, I don't think I could handle it if everypony thought of me like that,” said Twilight, hanging her head. “As a... 'braggart'. Or a 'loudmouth'--” She shook her head as the words left her, obviously punishing herself for being so honest. She really was too nice...

“Is that what you think of me?” Trixie mumbled. “That I'm a bad pony?” Her voice was as cold as her mouth was dry.

“No,” said Twilight.

Somehow, that wasn't very reassuring.

As if sensing this, the lavender mare suddenly put her forehooves on the table and leaned across to plant a kiss on Trixie's nose. Caught off guard for the second time that day, Trixie drew back with wide eyes as Twilight smiled at her.

“I might not agree with everything you did in your show,” the uncomfortably close unicorn continued. “But I don't think you're a bad pony. I could never think that, not after... well, after everything.” Twilight stared for a moment longer before finally showing mercy and pulling back to retake her seat.

Trixie opened her mouth, closed it again, then cleared her throat to reassert herself. “Then what's the problem?” she asked, her voice dry.

“This kind of competition, it's really more of your thing,” said Twilight thoughtfully. “I mean, it's all about showing off, isn't it? And that's your talent, not mine.”

“But you wanted to learn,” Trixie threw back, along with a quizzical look. “Those lessons I gave you in the library--”

“I'm not saying that I don't appreciate all of that!” said Twilight. “Being confident with my performance, matching my movements to my spells... it's all really useful, and I'm really happy that you taught me!”

“But?”

Twilight sighed. “But, even though I can do all of that happily, when I think back to your show – to the way you humiliated my friends after they challenged you – that's the problem. I don't blame you for it, not even a little bit! I just don't think that I could do it if I were in the same position--” She paused to gulp resolutely before meeting Trixie's eyes. “--I... I don't think I can be that pony.”

Trixie was left speechless by Twilight's little confession. How long the bookish mare had been keeping that to herself, Trixie had no idea. Could she really have been feeling that way since she'd first become Trixie's partner? Maybe that was why she was hesitant in the first place. Or maybe these were just new thoughts, brought on by being so close to the date of the Display.

Whatever the case, Trixie knew that she had to make Twilight understand...

“I never wanted you to be,” Trixie muttered, half-consciously. She didn't accept that she'd said it out loud until Twilight tilted her head in question.

“Never wanted me to be what?”

“Like me,” said Trixie simply. “Twilight, I know who you are, and you are not a show-off.”

Twilight opened her mouth, but seemed unable to find any words.

For Trixie, on the other hoof, the words just started to come more easily. “I didn't come back to Ponyville to ask an accomplished showmare to be my partner. I came back to ask you. And that's all I'm asking you to be. Just be... Twilight.” Even as the last word left her mouth, she felt the embarrassment rising to her face.

Trixie forced herself to roll her eyes, as if she found her own words silly, even though they were completely true. When she first came back to Ponyville, she wanted Twilight, the ridiculously powerful sorceress, to be her partner. When she finally got around to asking, she wanted Twilight, her friend, to be her partner. In either case, the answer was the same. She wanted Twilight.

Turning to look 'casually' out of the window, Trixie lifted a hoof to hide the burning cheek that still faced her partner. She couldn't fathom why she was blushing so much lately. Maybe some of Twilight's indrawn shyness was starting to rub off on her?

Suddenly, said lavender unicorn rose from her seat and trotted around the table. Trixie couldn't help but turn an eye to watch as Twilight approached with an unreadable expression on her face, coming to a stop right beside the bemused showmare.

Then, without word or warning, Twilight leaned in and nestled her head against Trixie's neck in an incredibly awkward kind of hug. “Thank you, Trixie,” she whispered. “That's really sweet of you to say.”

Trixie's mouth moved wordlessly for a moment as she tried, once again, to make sense of Twilight's strange behaviour. A moment was all it took before Trixie huffed and rested her chin more firmly atop the mare, 'returning' the hug even as she glanced around to make sure that nopony was watching. “Don't thank me,” she grumbled. “It's just the truth. I wasn't trying to make it sound... 'sweet'.”

Twilight shook slightly with a little chuckle as they broke the embrace. She met Trixie's eyes with an honest smile and said “Okay.” With that, she circled back around the table to take her own seat across from Trixie once again.

The showmare went back to looking out of the window, pretending not to notice Twilight staring at her. Trixie loved the closeness they shared, of course, she just wasn't used to showing it in public. Not that she would care if ponies thought she and Twilight were strange for cuddling whilst waiting for their lunch. Even so, it was still a little uncomfortable...

Their food arrived after a few more minutes of silence. After flashing their free lunch ticket, Trixie gladly levitated her knife and fork to begin cutting up her pancakes, having not eaten since Pinkie Pie's cupcakes the night before.

Just as she was raising the first forkful to her lips, Twilight spoke up.

“Hey, Trixie?” she said.

Trixie lowered her fork and raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“...I wouldn't want you to change either,” Twilight finished with a smile.

For the few seconds it took to figure out what she meant, Trixie stared blankly. When she got it, she rolled her eyes and her lips curled into a smirk. “You're kidding yourself if you think I'm going to call you 'sweet',” she said, poking the fork playfully towards Twilight.

The lavender unicorn simply giggled as Trixie took the first bite of her food, and the two of them dug into lunch.

* * *

Hours that felt like days later, the two mares found themselves outside the door to room twelve of the Pegasus Down hotel. The 'tour' they had planned ended up being a bust – little more than a quick jaunt down the high street followed by an all-afternoon stay in the Manehattan library... Having been made to follow the Bookish and Apparently Tireless Twilight up and down literally hundreds of aisles of books, it was needless to say that Trixie was looking forward to finally resting her aching legs.

Twilight, with her one newly checked-out book resting atop her back, cast a smile across at Trixie. “Excited?” she asked.

Trixie rolled her eyes, unable to fathom how Twilight had gotten that impression from her look of utter exhaustion. “It's just a room, Twilight,” she said, magically lifting the key to the lock.

“Yes, but it's our room!” Twilight insisted with a grin. “I've never stayed in a hotel before, I can't wait!”

“It's not that interesting, tru--”

Trixie broke off, eyes going wide as she pushed the door open. At her side, Twilight let out a diminutive “Ooo” and poked her head inside.

'Ooo' was right. The dark but warm colour-scheme reminded Trixie very much of the lobby, only the entrance hall before them was a lot more cosy. She took a few tentative steps inside. Straight ahead, at the very end of the hall, there was a door, left open a crack, which presumably led to the bedroom proper.

Twilight wasted no time in brushing past and trotting towards it, only to stop half-way down the corridor and turn to her left. “Oh! There's the couch!” she said brightly.

Curious, Trixie hurried to her side and followed her eyes into another room built off of their corridor – resemblant of a small living room. There were, in fact, a pair of couches in the far corner, forming a half-square around a circular table which held a bottle of wine in a cooler and a pair of champagne flutes. Trixie eagerly stepped inside to get a closer look, whilst Twilight galloped off down the hall, probably to look at the bedroom.

Overall, the room looked very snug. The couches, where Trixie would be sleeping, she reminded herself, were soft and comfortable to the touch, and they were littered with a dozen pillows in various shapes, sizes and shades of red. On the walls, there hung paintings and sketches, some of streets in Manehattan and some depicting more rural landscapes. The whole place was gently lit by firefly globes, either hanging from the walls or from wooden stands in the corners.

'Talk about luxury...' Trixie mused with a smile.

“Um, Trixie?” came Twilight's voice from down the hall.

“What?” said Trixie distractedly.

There was a pause before Twilight spoke again. “You remember how I was insisting on letting you have the bed? Well, I've changed my mind. I'm taking it!”

Grunting in amusement and curiosity, Trixie headed back into the corridor and made her way up to the now-open door that lead into the bedroom. Inside, she found what appeared to be another very cosy room, lit by the sunlight coming in from the glass-paned doors in the far wall, which lead out onto a balcony. Her eyes were drawn to the bed the moment she stepped through the door.

“Oh,” Trixie commented intelligently, feasting her eyes on the pink-sheeted wonder before her, and the lavender unicorn who knelt atop it.

“Mine,” said Twilight firmly as she eyed Trixie with a look of mock warning.

Tilting her head in curiosity, Trixie trotted forwards to prod the bed with her nose. It was soft. Very soft. She couldn't help but lift up her forehooves to test it out properly, only to find that it was, indeed, as light and feathery as it seemed.

In one, rather clumsy motion, she pushed herself up onto the bed and wheeled around to kneel beside Twilight, facing out towards the door. A content smile made its way onto her lips as she practically sank into the mattress.

“I guess that means that you've changed your mind too?” said Twilight slyly.

Trixie forced herself back to the present and glanced sidelong at her partner. “It's... a little more comfortable than I expected,” she admitted.

Twilight giggled. “Judging by that smile, I'd say that's a bit of an understatement.”

The azure unicorn didn't even bother trying to hide said smile as she looked down over the edge of the bed. It really was the comfiest thing she'd ever felt, and she worried that it might make what she wanted to say next quite difficult.

“...You can have it,” Trixie said. Somehow, it wasn't hard at all.

Twilight turned to her with raised eyebrows. “S-sorry?”

“The bed is yours,” Trixie confirmed, hopping down to stand on the carpet. “I don't want it.”

“...Why?” said Twilight cluelessly. “Don't you like it?”

The showmare shook her head and started towards the door. “No. I prefer the couch,” she lied. It might've seemed a little strange, but pretending not to like the bed was easier than telling Twilight the real reason she was giving it to her. For a fleeting moment, she thought that she might escape the room without further comment, only for the hope to be dashed by Twilight calling out to her.

“Wait, Trixie!”

Coming to a stop with her hoof hanging over the threshold, Trixie breathed a quiet sigh. She turned around to offer an 'innocent' smile to the lavender unicorn who was frowning at her firmly. “Yes, Twilight?”

“Why don't you want the bed?” Twilight asked suspiciously.

Trixie rolled her eyes. Of course Twilight had seen through her lie, there was no way that anypony in their right mind could not want that bed, no matter how polite they were trying to be. That Twilight hadn't moved an inch from her half-submerged spot on the mattress spoke volumes to that effect.

“I don't 'not want it',” Trixie began, measuring her words. “I just... don't want you to not have it.”

Twilight blinked.

With a huff, Trixie tried in vain to think of some way to put it that wouldn't sound... 'cheap'. “I'm not being chivalrous, if that's what you think. And I'm not being proud either,” she added quickly. “I want you to have the bed because you've earned it.”

“I--”

“I know you never wanted anything in return,” said Trixie, raising a hoof to forestall Twilight's argument. “But please, after everything you've done... after all the kindness you've shown me--” She huffed and averted her eyes. So much for not making it sound cheesy. “I want to give you the stupid bed, okay?”

A deep silence fell between them, during which Trixie stared at the wall with an insolent expression. When, after a moment, she managed to shake off the embarrassment, she flicked back her mane and drew herself up to look defiantly into Twilight's thoughtful eyes.

“I... don't know what to say,” Twilight managed quietly. “You don't have to do this--”

“Just say 'thank you',” Trixie suggested impatiently.

Twilight's lips twisted into a smile and she let out the faintest of giggles. “Okay... Thank you, Trixie.”

* * *