• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 21,536 Views, 1,186 Comments

Eyes On You - UnlicensedBrony



When Twilight takes in the wounded Trixie to nurse her back to health, she sets the showmare on the difficult path of learning to trust. 'Twixie' romance/adventure story, set a few weeks after the events of 'Boast Busters'.

  • ...
31
 1,186
 21,536

2 - First Impressions (Trixie)

“Eyes On You”

Chapter two: First Impressions

A wonderful wave of luxurious relaxation spread throughout Trixie’s entire body as she awoke from her beautiful dream. She felt the warm caress of the sheets that covered her, the soft embrace of the mattress that held her… For as long as she could remember, she had never woken up feeling quite as content as this…

The wide, comfortable smile on her face faded quickly however, as she tried to move her foreleg and was stricken with a sudden pain. It wasn’t all that intense, but it was enough to skip her through the next few blissful stages of partial unconsciousness.

‘Who dares to disturb Trixie’s rest?!’ she thought angrily. Her eyes flashed open and hunted for the culprit, but there was nopony else in the room. What she did notice was the woollen cast around her foreleg, at the sight of which she sighed gloomily.

Wait… nopony else in the ‘Room’? She didn’t remember falling to sleep here… The last thing she did recall was getting to her hooves in the hospital tent. So then, this must be…

As if on cue, the door creaked open a few inches and a familiar, lavender nose appeared, followed by a pair of lilac eyes which glanced nervously towards Trixie.

“Oh, you’re awake!” said Twilight Sparkle with an annoyingly cheerful smile on her face.

She arrogantly pushed into the room, without asking Trixie’s approval, and approached the bed. Naturally, Trixie opened her mouth to voice her displeasure at the intrusion, but her words were cut off as she caught sight of the tray of food which hovered in mid-air.

“I made you breakfast,” said the purple intruder, with a wider and prouder smile on her face. “I wasn’t sure what you liked so I just made a bit of everything.”

Twilight Sparkle set the tray down onto the tree stump and smiled at Trixie again. “And, in case you need anything else, I’ll be just downstairs. Feel free to give me a shout any time.”

‘She's enjoying this, isn’t she?!’ thought Trixie with a scowl. ‘Enjoying the sight of a powerless Trixie! Well, I’ll show her who’s powerless!’

Trixie’s attempt to sit upright was thwarted by a stabbing pain in her flank. She collapsed back down onto the pillow and cringed with hurtful embarrassment.

“Are you okay?!” cried the purple unicorn in alarm. Her feigned sympathy only served to make it hurt more.

“Trixie is fine!” growled the show-mare. “Are your continued mockeries really necessary?”

“M-Mockeries?” stammered Twilight, taking a step back. “I was just worried that you might have hurt yourself…”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie does not need your ‘compassion’, Twilight Sparkle!” said Trixie hotly, with scornful emphasis on the word ‘compassion’. “She is NOT weak and she does NOT approve of your patronising demeanour!”

“But I--”

“Good day, Twilight Sparkle!” Trixie glared at the dejected purple unicorn until she left the room. Trixie’s frown did not fade after the intruder had left. She didn’t feel triumphant and she didn’t feel any better for taking her anger out on Twilight Sparkle… even if she was deserving of it.

Her frustration seemed to have robbed her of her appetite, so she didn’t even glance at the tray of food from which the familiar aroma of cinnamon-apple pancakes, her favourite, was emanating.

Instead, she closed her eyes tightly and pulled the bed sheets up to her chin with magic… which probably shouldn’t have been as difficult as it was. Obviously, her well-placed rage was hampering her concentration…

Deciding to come back to Ponyville was a terrible mistake! If not for that ‘incident’ in the woods, she would probably have realised that a lot sooner. She didn’t even remember ‘why’ she had wanted to come back here in the first place!

With a grumpy sigh, she buried her head in the pillow and tried to forget about everything, just for a while…

* * *

Trixie trotted cautiously along through the dense woods, the trail ahead becoming ever narrower. The sky above was ominously dark and creepy shadows seemed to stalk her every move – flickering in the corner of her eye and vanishing when she turned to look.

‘Perhaps this shortcut wasn’t such a good idea…’ thought Trixie as the shiver-inducing hoot of an owl gave her a start. The Everfree Forest… she could have sworn that it hadn’t been like this when she last passed through here.

Her sense of foreboding only intensified into dread as she recognized the twisted rock formation on her left. She had been here before! Not just in this place, but in this very moment as well! But how was that possible?

She knew what came next, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t convince her hooves to obey her. They just kept trotting forwards, unwavering, as if some strange force were commanding them along this path.

Her power over her body seemed to be limited – she could only do things exactly as they had happened, like following a script for some twisted play… She didn’t want to be here again, especially if she couldn’t change it…

There it was… the howling. That loud, dreadful howling from all around her. Now her hooves stopped, just as she was willing them desperately to move faster.

The cold seemed to creep into her skin as demonic figures emerged from the trees and blocked the trail ahead. Their massive, scraggy black coats blotted out the background. Their low, guttural growls sent icy chills down her spine. Their glowing, red eyes reached into her very soul and gripped it with terror.

They crept towards Trixie. Dark, boding evil without number or solid form. The Frightened and Powerless Trixie begged her body to obey her, to run! But it still wouldn’t listen.

The figures came ever closer, with each step they took blotting out a little more of the rest of the world. The lead creature, larger and more terrible than the rest, the embodiment of fear itself, suddenly pushed off from the ground and soared towards Trixie.

Trixie rolled to the side almost too late – barely avoiding the beast’s vicious claws. With her control finally restored, she brought her forelegs into the air and slammed them to the ground, sending up a disorienting cloud of magical smoke.

She didn’t waste any time in galloping off into the tree line, hoping that her little trick would throw the beasts off for a while. But it was barely a few seconds before she heard pounding footfalls and baleful growls from behind her.

Another dark figure burst out from a bush just ahead and bounded towards her. In desperation, Trixie focused her magic towards it and sent forth a blinding beam of light which seemed to disperse the spectre in a puff of black smoke. Two more hounds took its place – both larger, both darker and both snarling vengefully.

With her heart pounding, Trixie dipped and dived through the trees, evading the ferocious shadows that came at her from everywhere. She cast the occasional cantrip in an attempt to ward them off, but it only seemed to make them angrier.

Finally she burst out into a large clearing and, in her panic, caught her foreleg on an unseen root. She collapsed to her knees. That was it… she couldn’t run anymore.

As dark figures began to emerge from all sides, she cried out for help. Her powerful voice resounded throughout the clearing, but the only reply she received was the harsh barking of fiendish hounds.

She caught sight of the massive alpha-wolf again and gazed into the terrifying pits of flaming hatred that were his eyes. The circle of icy darkness began to close in on her. Trixie wasn’t going to let them get her…

She had very little knowledge of spells which could physically protect her, but she wasn’t helpless… Fiercely baring her teeth at the lead wolf and pouring all of her magical reserves into her horn, the unicorn began to channel the most powerful spell she could think of.

An incredible burst of white light exploded from her horn and pushed back the dark figures. The air crackled with magical energy as six large, radiant orbs began to swirl around in midair, forming a shield of light around the unicorn.

The shadowy wolves burned under its glare, but they only retreated a few steps. The pained expression on Trixie’s face must have been obvious. They knew she couldn’t keep this up for long…

Trixie closed her eyes tightly and focused harder. Every second that passed made it more difficult for her to maintain the spell. Her muscles ached. Her head was burning. She felt the magic dissipating from the air around her. The light was dimming, she could tell.

Something slammed into her left shoulder with all the force of a speeding freight train and sent her crumpling to the ground. Even as she collapsed, she felt a burning sensation cut through her flank. She let out another yell.

All seemed lost as she laid there cringing in pain. She felt the darkness encroaching and knew that her spell had ended. As the heat drained from her body, she boldly opened one eye and stared defiantly up at the alpha-wolf, who was howling in triumph to his pack.

His smugness was not to last however…

A massive beam of purple shot forth from the trees and swallowed up the massive beast along with half of his pack. From the tree line emerged another figure, not dark and ominous, but bright and beautiful, glowing with lavender-coloured hope.

The nightmarish creatures yelped and whined as they were washed away by the sheer, radiant light from this gorgeous creature. In a matter of seconds, all but the two mares had been reduced to clouds of black smoke, which quickly dissolved into nothingness.

The new arrival approached and, as its luminescence engulfed Trixie, it seemed to melt away all of her pain and doubt. The icy chill of the forest, and indeed the forest itself, began to fade away. Trixie knew that she was safe.

The mare of lavender light smiled kindly and extended a hoof. Trixie couldn’t see who it was, but it didn’t matter. She painlessly lifted her foreleg and reached towards the warm embrace of the unicorn’s light…

* * *

Trixie opened her eyes and blinked a few times, restoring her connection to the physical world. She wasn’t sure how she was supposed to feel after a nightmare like that… was it even a nightmare?

The dark figures had been utterly terrifying of course, but there was something about that shining purple unicorn that made her fear seem… insignificant – like it didn’t really matter at all…

She closed her eyes and tried to recreate the scene in her mind. Her memory of what had really happened was hazy at best, but there was one thing that she knew for sure – ‘If it weren’t for Twilight Sparkle, I would be dead…’

That made twice now, and Trixie wasn’t sure what to do about it…

On the one hoof, she naturally felt indebted to Twilight, that she should do something to show her gratitude. But on the other hoof, she was ashamed of herself – Ashamed that she had been overwhelmed by a meagre pack of wolves. Embarrassed that she hadn’t been powerful enough to take down an Ursa Minor, a baby!

And that blasted purple unicorn had been the one to pull Trixie’s flank out of the fire each time! How could ‘she’, having lived a pampered life in Ponyville, possess more power than the Great and Powerful Trixie?!

‘It’s not fair!’ she thought, her foul mood returning. ‘Has Trixie… Have ‘I’ not worked the harder? Having spent my life on the long, hard road, should I not be the stronger? Why is it that she--’

Trixie paused mid-thought. Something disturbing had just occurred to her – ‘Am I… jealous?’

No, it couldn’t be. The Great and Powerful Trixie, envious of some lowly village-dweller?! Ha, ha! Unthinkable!

…Though, that would explain the unprovoked anger which she felt whenever she saw Twilight Sparkle… as well as the unshakeable feeling that she had to prove herself to somepony…

Was that it then? Jealousy?

‘Argh, this is ridiculous!’ she growled mentally.

Trixie steadily struggled up into a sitting position, biting back the pain. Yes, it hurt, but that didn’t matter – if Trixie did not want it to affect her, then it would not affect her. For she was the Great and Powerful Trixie, mastered by none, not even her emotions!

Regardless of whether or not she was jealous of Twilight Sparkle, the fact remained that the purple unicorn had saved her life.

‘It’s a matter of principle,’ she thought, trying to convince herself. ‘I owe a debt to Twilight Sparkle, and I cannot pay it if I am constantly letting my envy get in the way. I may not like her and she may not like me, but if we can’t settle this reasonably then I may as well have not come back here at all!’

Her mind was clearer now than it had been in the angry haze of that morning… she remembered her reason for returning to Ponyville. Acting on reflex, she flicked her horn slightly and summoned the familiar, brown-papered envelope from thin air.

She didn’t open it – she knew exactly what the letter inside said, almost word-for-word. She just sat there, levitating the envelope about a foot from her face, and stared at the word ‘Trixie’ on the front, written in His tidy, dignified scrawl.

This was the letter that had brought her back here.

It only took a moment of thoughtful gazing before she knew what she had to do. With another flick from Trixie’s horn, the envelope vanished, and the mare’s mouth curved into a confident smile – The next time Twilight Sparkle walked through that door, Trixie would do what she had come back to do.

It didn’t occur to her that that might not be as easy as it sounded, or that it might have been a bad sign that her mind was eager to get off of this topic as soon as possible. It was too late to consider that though, for Trixie had already moved her attention on to more important matters…

Namely, that sweet smell of cinnamon-apple which was drifting over from her bedside tree stump…

Her stomach gave a muffled growl as she laid her eyes upon the untouched breakfast tray. Everything looked delicious! Of course, when one hadn’t eaten for days, that could be said for pretty much anything… anything except that bowl of green, gloopy sludge which looked more like a facial care product than it did vegetable soup.

Trixie magically lifted the off-putting bowl of grunge and hid it behind the stump, out of sight. Then she brought the tray over and rested it on her lap, staring hungrily at the small stack of round pancakes in the corner.

With absolutely no regard for the cutlery, Trixie levitated two of the pancakes up to her mouth and took a generous bite. They were cold… and rather chewy… but they tasted divine!

‘Hmm, not bad,’ she thought to herself as she wolfed down the last of the pancakes in no time at all. In fact, it had been a long while since she had tasted anything quite that delicious, but she wasn’t about to admit that – considering they were made by Twilight Sparkle.

With the pancakes gone, Trixie frowned – Now that she could see all of the food up close, it didn’t look quite as appetising…

She levitated one of the several grossly malformed, greenish masses from her tray and eyed it carefully. Being as hungry as she was, she optimistically saw it as a very rustic grass waffle – rustic to the point that it looked as if somepony had dropped it on the floor and stepped on it repeatedly…

If the pancakes had been that delicious… that is to say, adequate… then the ‘waffles’ couldn’t be too bad. She decided not to let the appearance put her off… but the taste didn’t give her a choice…

Wishing that she hadn’t taken such a large bite, Trixie glanced hastily around for somewhere to dispose of this… this… Frankly, the adjective to describe this level of ‘disgustingness’ had yet to be invented.

To make matters worse, there came a sudden series of knocks from the door. “Trixie, may I come in?”

Trixie took one last, desperate glance around the room before solemnly conceding. Through incredible force of will, she managed to swallow the mutant waffle – which sent a horrible shudder through her entire body.

‘Never again,’ she thought, still pale-faced as she levitated the tray back onto the tree stump. ‘Never again…’

“Trixie?” came Twilight’s uncertain voice.

The show-mare shook herself off and faced the door, longing for a tube of toothpaste. She put on her most confident face and cleared her throat…

“Ahem, you may enter.”

‘The next time Twilight Sparkle walks through that door, do what you came back to do…’ It had been a good concept, but the very sight of Twilight’s determined eyes as she trotted into the room told Trixie that it wasn’t going to be that simple.

Trixie’s emotions had suddenly decided to oppose the idea. It took her a brief moment to get them in check, and Twilight presumptuously took the silence as a queue to speak.

“Trixie, I--”

“--Twilight,” Trixie interrupted urgently, still wrestling with her pride. “I know what you are going to say, but I assure you that it is entirely un--”

“--Shush!”

Trixie was taken aback. Did Twilight Sparkle just ‘shush’ her?!

“Did you just--”

“--Just listen to what I have to say!” demanded the purple unicorn. The forceful attitude was annoyingly admirable, but being cut off mid-sentence wasn’t helping Trixie to repress her emotions.

Twilight continued. “I brought you something…”

Trixie paused for a moment at this unexpected announcement. Whilst Jealousy and Pride were busy tussling with each other, Curiosity stepped forward and took its place on the stage.

“Oh… is that so?” said Trixie, trying to sound only mildly interested. “Well… what is it?”

Without moving, Twilight levitated a small, wooden box into the room and set it down next to Trixie’s bed. She gestured confidently with a hoof. “See for yourself.”

Cautiously, the show-mare lifted the box onto her lap. It was unexpectedly light… in fact it must have been nearly empty. The lid was already loose, so Trixie wasted no time in pushing it open with her good hoof and taking a look inside.

‘Oh, thank Celestia!’ she thought as she noticed the relieving absence of mutant grass waffles. ‘But… what’s this?’

For a moment, she thought the light was playing tricks on her. Just to make sure, she focused her magic on the box’s contents and lifted them into the air.

Trixie almost couldn’t believe her eyes. Sure enough, there hovered a familiar, purple cape – beautifully patterned with stars of various shapes and sizes, all in shades of blue and yellow and…

“Twilight Sparkle…” breathed Trixie quietly, momentarily forgetting her conflicted emotions. “Where did you find this?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Twilight said dismissively, the smile coming back to her face. “But it wasn’t easy! I had to call in a few favours… well, maybe more than a few…”

“…Why?” said Trixie, narrowing her eyes in suspicion as she looked towards the smiling unicorn. “Why go to all that trouble?”

“Because,” began Twilight, taking a step forward. “You’ve obviously got the wrong impression about me – I’m not here to ‘mock’ or ‘patronize’ you – and I wanted to show you that.”

Trixie rarely found herself at a loss for words, but this was one of those times. Her emotions were beginning to get tangled up with one another, making it hard to figure out how she was supposed to react. “But… what--”

“I’m sorry, all right?” Twilight interrupted as she stared honestly into Trixie’s eyes. “I… I don’t think you’re weak.”

‘She’s… sorry?' thought Trixie. This ‘conversation’ was getting more confusing by the second. ‘I should probably say something…’

“Twilight Sparkle, I cannot allow you to--”

The purple unicorn held up a definitive hoof. “I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer. You keep that cloak, as a gift from me. All I ask in return is that you relax and let me help you out once in a while.”

Now Trixie was completely lost. Twilight Sparkle was making no sense at all! What kind of a request was that in exchange for a gift such as this?

“Trixie does not understand…” said the show-mare hopelessly. “Why would you do this?”

Twilight smiled softly. “Because sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness…”

With that, the purple unicorn just up and left the room, leaving a stunned Trixie in her wake. As Twilight closed the door behind her, Trixie became alone with her thoughts once again.

It took a few moments for the stormy sea of emotion within her to calm itself but, when it did, the azure unicorn performed a mental facehoof. She was far too proud to tell Twilight why she had come back to Ponyville, which made the whole thing seem like a big waste of time.

Of course, Twilight’s constant interruptions didn’t help! If Trixie had gotten a word in edgeways then maybe… ‘Oh, who am I kidding?’ she thought solemnly. ‘Maybe I should just leave now, there’s no point in staying in Ponyville…’

But the very idea of leaving brought the letter straight back into her mind, followed by His visage, shaking its head in disappointment.

“Shut up, old man!” she snarled angrily, banishing the vision. “If you hadn’t sent that stupid letter then I wouldn’t even be here!”

Right now, she genuinely believed that… but some voice deep inside of her knew that her anger was misplaced. She sighed – whether she liked it or not, she wasn’t going anywhere. If she left now, then she would never be able to drive these distracting thoughts from her mind.

She began to look around slowly, as if something in the room would help her solve the dilemma, and inevitably her eyes fell upon the cape that now laid in her lap.

“A little…kindness…?” she repeated thoughtfully as she ran her hoof across the soft fabric. She hugged the garment close to her chest and laid her head down on the pillow once more, thinking.

The words echoed through her head over and over as she tried to make sense of them. It wasn’t as if the prospect of giving and receiving gifts was unknown to Trixie – her fans sent her gifts all the time, in exchange for gracing them with her incredible performances!

But making a sacrifice of oneself when there was nothing to be gained in return… Generosity for the sake of Kindness? It just seemed downright unreasonable. Did Twilight Sparkle really think like that? Did anypony?

Trixie didn’t have to admit that it was a nice thought, but she did have to admit that it made her curious. Maybe, since she was going to be sticking around anyway, a bit of subtle research into that mindset might be prudent?

Very well,’ she thought with a shrug. ‘Anything to take my mind off of that letter for a while… I’ll get around to figuring that out later.’

With that last assurance to herself, Trixie closed her eyes and inhaled the scent of her cape. It wasn’t quite the same as she remembered – the scent that is – but even without its counterpart, the magician’s hat, the cape still reminded her of Him…

Normally, it would have been a nice memory, but having Him butting-in to her thoughts every five minutes was getting pretty irritating. She dispelled the image from her mind by thinking back to Twilight’s mystifying words – the silent consideration of which would occupy Trixie for the rest of that day…

‘Just… a little kindness…’

* * *