• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 21,535 Views, 1,186 Comments

Eyes On You - UnlicensedBrony



When Twilight takes in the wounded Trixie to nurse her back to health, she sets the showmare on the difficult path of learning to trust. 'Twixie' romance/adventure story, set a few weeks after the events of 'Boast Busters'.

  • ...
31
 1,186
 21,535

9 - A Great And Powerful Partner (Twilight)

“Eyes On You”

Chapter nine: A Great And Powerful Partner
(Act One Finale)

Trixie volunteered to handle the school visit that day – as Twilight was too busy taking care of Rainbow. She wasn't sure what went on in there - some kind of magic show from what she could hear - but Trixie emerged with a smile on her face and the children cheered and waved for her as Twilight had never seen them.

For her part, Rainbow was distraught. She said she promised to keep what Trixie had said between the three of them, so as not to cause 'any more damage than she already had'. Twilight assured the poor pegasus that they were okay, and that she hadn't done anything wrong, but Rainbow simply smiled and pretended to take the words to heart. In reality, she was hurting. Twilight could see it, but there was nothing she could think to say or do that could fix her, other than to constantly tell her that it was 'okay'...

The following day, Pinkie Pie held one of her trademark Pinkie Parties, the same one that Twilight had agreed to clean up after a week before. Trixie opted out – which wasn't too surprising, considering her first experience. Rainbow Dash was there though, and all of a sudden she seemed to be back to her usual self – laughing, playing and smiling along with the rest of her friends. Twilight spent much of the evening trying to figure out what had changed, or whether Rainbow was just pretending for her benefit, which seemed a lot more likely... She never did get an answer, but Pinkie Pie, at least, seemed to think she was still 'the usual Dashie'.

Over the next few days, Twilight saw very little of Rainbow or her other friends, since she spent pretty much every waking moment in Trixie's company. They practised walking around the library and even sneaked out at night a couple of times to take a walk near the forest, away from the prying eyes of Ponyville. Trixie's leg grew a little stronger every day, as did the bond of trust between she and Twilight. Before long, moving together was as easy as... well, dancing.

Late one night, the two mares set out on one of their walks. This time, Trixie seemed eager to take the lead, and Twilight was all too happy to follow her...



“So, where are we going?” Twilight asked as she and Trixie trotted over the bridge leading out of Ponyville proper.

“Just a little further,” Trixie said with a smirk. “You'll see.”

Twilight gave her a sidelong look. “You're awfully mysterious all of a sudden.”

“Trixie is always mysterious. That's part of her job.” The showmare put her nose in the air proudly.

With a chuckle, Twilight turned back to the trail ahead. “If you say so, Miss Great and Powerful.”

The night was a little chilly, but Trixie had chosen to leave her cape at home. She always did when they went out like this – it tended to get in the way. It didn't really matter though – the closeness they shared kept them warm enough.

Their walk soon took them off of the trail itself and up the slope of a rolling hill. When they crested it, Trixie slowed down and finally brought them to a halt.

“This is it?” Twilight asked, glancing around as Trixie lifted herself free. It seemed to be... just a hilltop.

“Not quite,” said Trixie. She took a step forwards and her horn lit up with a purple light. Twilight furrowed her brow in question for a moment, before a bright flash forced her to cover her eyes.

When she came back to her senses, she saw a covered basket laying in the middle of the hilltop. “...A picnic basket?” she guessed, stepping up alongside Trixie to get a better look.

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Very observant, Sparkle. Now help me unpack.”

As the showmare lifted out a checkered blanket and laid it out on the grassy ground, Twilight regarded her questioningly. “Well, this is a surprise... Is there some kind of special occasion or something that I missed?”

“It's just a picnic,” said Trixie coolly. “Trixie doesn't need a special occasion – she sees ponies do it all the time. And aren't you forgetting something?”

Twilight blinked at Trixie as she finished unloading the contents of the basket – a flask, two mugs and a pair of wrapped sandwiches. When Trixie had finished, she vanished the basket with another flash and looked at Twilight expectantly. “Well?”

“Well what?” said Twilight, cocking her head.

“The summoning spell,” Trixie deadpanned. “You're not impressed?”

Twilight's eyes went wide. “Oh! Of course – well done, Trixie!”

With a roll of the eyes, Trixie stepped forwards and laid down atop the blanket. “Whatever. Trixie is sure she'll find somepony else who appreciates her awesome magic.”

Twilight felt her face heating up. “N-No, I appreciate it, Trixie!” she said hurriedly, jumping forwards to stand beside her. “Thank you for this, really!”

“Yes, yes,” said Trixie dismissively. “Sit down, will you?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. She padded around to find a comfy spot, then laid down on her front alongside Trixie, wondering what she was up to. She watched as the showmare poured two mugs of apple juice from the flask, taking one for herself and passing the other across. Twilight took it with an uncertain smile and sipped it as she waited for an explanation...

“...Nice night,” Trixie commented.

Twilight frowned at her.

She didn't have to say anything – Trixie got the gist of it just from that look. She sighed. “Alright... Trixie has something to tell you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Oh?” said Twilight, smiling expectantly.

Trixie's eyes fell to the blanket. “It's actually something that Trixie should've told you a while ago... Do you remember when Trixie said she was 'just passing through' Ponyville, to go somewhere else? That... wasn't completely true.”

Twilight nodded slowly. “I kind of figured that out,” she muttered. “Go on.”

Trixie closed her eyes for a moment before looking sideways at Twilight. “Trixie was on her way here to meet somepony.”

“...Somepony?”

“You,” said Trixie abruptly. “I was coming to see you.”

Twilight's heart leapt. “O-Oh, really?” she said, trying to sound casual. “What for?”

“I'm getting to that!” Trixie snapped. She cleared her throat and looked out towards the starry horizon in thought. “I guess I should just show you...”

Trixie's horn lit up again with the very same glow as before. A flash of light, and a small, brown-papered envelope appeared in midair. It hovered slowly down to land in front of the showmare, where she stared at it for a long moment.

Then she lowered her nose and pushed it over to Twilight. “Go ahead.”

Grasping the thing in her magic, Twilight eyed it curiously. There was no address other than the word 'Trixie' on the front, elegantly horn-written. With a quick glance at Trixie to check that it was okay, Twilight magically reached inside and pulled out a folded piece of paper.

Unfolding it revealed an entire letter written in the same scrawl. She shone a little more hornlight on it and leaned in for a better look...

“...'Dearest Trixie'?” she read aloud, furrowing her brow. She glanced across at the showmare. “Are you sure it's okay for me to--”

“Yes,” said Trixie shortly. “Please, just read it.”

Twilight blinked at her, then nodded and turned back to the letter...



Dearest Trixie,

I know that it's been a while since we last spoke, so I hope that this letter doesn't come as too great a surprise. I didn't know where to find you – I never do – so I hired this courier to track you down. I trust that he made good time delivering this to you, and that it hasn't arrived too late.

I've enclosed something that I think you'll find quite interesting. You recognize the seal on the invitation, I assume? The Royal Seal of Princess Celestia herself, given in person. Naturally, it wasn't too difficult a task – I just pulled a little of the old charm and she was eating out of my hooves...


“Princess Celestia?” Twilight muttered. She looked up at Trixie. “What is this?”

“Keep reading.”


...I'm sure you'd love to hear the juicy details, perhaps we should meet up for dinner when you get to town? That is, unless you're thinking of not showing up. I suppose that wouldn't come as too great of a surprise though – even if you could find somepony to partner with you, which I doubt, there still wouldn't be any competition between us, would there?

Well, teasing aside, I know you can't resist a challenge, so consider this a formal one. Trixie Lulamoon – my partner and I shall await thee in Manehattan. If the courier did his job right, you should have plenty of time to find yourself a partner and meet us there. Don't be late.

Oh, and don't worry about paying me back for the ticket – the look on your face when I thrash you in front of the entire Big City will be more than payment enough.

Yours always,
~Flaire


As Twilight finished reading, she flipped the letter over, just to make sure there was nothing more. The other side was blank.

“Vexatious, isn't he?” Trixie spat.

Twilight turned to her with raised eyebrows. “Vexatious? I didn't think anypony else knew that word...”

“I learned it especially for him,” said Trixie darkly.

“...I take it you don't like this... Flaire, then?” Twilight guessed.

Trixie scoffed and snatched the letter back a little more forcefully than necessary. “Don't like him? He's the bane of my life! Such a stuck-up, arrogant, self-obsessed ba--”

“Yeah,” Twilight interrupted. “I think I get it.” With a huff, Trixie turned to stare down at the letter in silence. Twilight shook her head and frowned. “An invitation, the Royal Seal, Manehattan... What's this all about, Trixie?”

“Isn't it obvious?” said Trixie, throwing her a quizzical look. “The Manehattan Display – the biggest, most popular magic show in all of Equestria? Don't tell me you haven't heard of it...”

“The Manehattan Display?” Twilight repeated, raising her eyebrows again. “O-Of course I've heard of it! I've been a couple of times myself, when I was younger... it's a wonderful event! But I don't remember needing an invitation. Unless--” She broke off and glanced at the letter. “Are you saying you've been invited to compete?”

“That's exactly what I'm saying,” Trixie hissed. She vanished the letter and rested her chin moodily atop the blanket.

Twilight leaned in a little closer. “What's the matter? You don't want to compete?”

“Are you kidding? Any unicorn would give their left hoof to get in on that show,” said Trixie. She cringed a second after the words left her mouth, and Twilight felt a pang of empathy. “...Stupid choice of words... but you know what I mean. I really want to compete.”

“Then what's the problem?” asked Twilight hopelessly.

Trixie closed her eyes tight and screwed up her lips. “...I have to win,” she pouted.

Twilight backed away and blinked. She didn't have to ask 'why?' – it was pretty obvious that she and Flaire had some bad blood between them. But what she did have to wonder was why Trixie thought 'having to win' was a problem. Wasn't this the pony who was convinced that she was the Greatest, most Powerful unicorn in all of Equestria?

“...No offence, Trixie, but that doesn't seem very--”

“Great and Powerful?” Trixie offered.

“--Very you,” Twilight finished.

Trixie huffed. She didn't even bother dragging her chin off of the blanket before casting another summoning spell. This time, a small, red slip of fancy-looking paper appeared before Trixie. She passed it to Twilight.

'She is pretty good at that spell,' Twilight mused as she took the slip with her own magic. It was, without a doubt, an invitation to compete in the Display, with the Royal Seal itself pressed in the corner. It was addressed to 'Trixie Lulamoon and her partner'...

“The Manehattan Display is a partner-based event,” said Trixie sadly. “That's the problem.”

Twilight lowered the slip and eyed her curiously. “You mean you couldn't find a partner?”

Trixie scoffed. “Of course I could find one. If I just asked, I'm sure ponies would be practically lining up...”

“So... why don't you?”

“Because I don't want just anypony to be my partner,” said Trixie, throwing her a glare. “Some second-rate unicorn off the street would just slow me down. The Great and Powerful Trixie needs a Great and Powerful partner if she's going to win the Display.”

“Oh...” muttered Twilight. That made sense, she supposed – Trixie wouldn't settle for anything less than the best. But-- “Wait a second...” Twilight narrowed her eyes. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Trixie raised an eyebrow meaningfully. The pieces fell into place.

“Oh no, you don't-- You can't mean me?” said Twilight fearfully.

Rolling her eyes again, Trixie picked her chin up and turned to throw Twilight a 'seriously?' look. “If I didn't mean you, we wouldn't be having this conversation.”

Twilight shook her head. “B-But I-- Why me?”

“Why do you think?” said Trixie. “You vanquished an Ursa Minor by yourself. I've never met anypony else who can do that. So, when I got that letter a few weeks later, you were the first pony I thought of.”

Twilight let out a breath, somewhere between a drained sigh and an exasperated huff. “You went through all this just to ask me to be your partner in some contest?”

Trixie glared. “It's not just 'some contest'! It's important!”

“Obviously important enough to risk your life going through the Everfree forest,” said Twilight darkly. Trixie drew back in surprise as Twilight went on. “Couldn't you have just written me a letter or something?”

“N-No, I couldn't!” she threw back. “Do you think it was that easy, asking for your help? Especially after you showed me up?”

“Trixie, you know it wasn't like that--”

“I know!” huffed Trixie, shooting to her hooves. She frowned at Twilight for a second before turning away and trotting over to the other edge of the blanket. “But that's not what it looked like, back then. I was... angry with you, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight's face found its own frown as she stared at the back of Trixie's head. “...But you came back here anyway. What changed?”

“Nothing,” Trixie hissed. “I couldn't ask you when I got here either, remember?”

Twilight cocked her head. “I don't understand...”

Trixie sighed and hung her head. Confused, Twilight got to her hooves and trotted towards her. She stopped when the showmare turned to look at her determinedly. “Trixie thought that it would be easier if she saw you in person. But it wasn't... Seeing you again just made things worse...”

“Oh, Trixie...” Twilight made to take another step forward, but the azure unicorn just shook her head dismissively.

“But that was before. Trixie understands properly now...” She fixed Twilight with an earnest stare. “You said that sometimes, strength is having the courage to just ask your friends for help. Well, I was weak back then, and we weren't friends. That's different now...”

Twilight pursed her lips.

The showmare stepped closer, until the two of them were barely a hoof's distance apart. “It has to be you, Twilight. Trixie-- I mean, I can't do this alone...” She lifted her good hoof and extended it towards Twilight. “...Please.”

The word had just about the same effect as a buck to the stomach, made even worse by what Twilight knew she had to say next...

“...I'm sorry, Trixie,” she muttered. “I can't...”

Trixie's gaze fell to the ground, and her hoof slowly followed. “Trixie was afraid you would say that.” She shook her head and closed her eyes. “Let me guess – it's because you don't want to be famous?”

“It's a little more complicated than that,” Twilight muttered. “But... yeah. Please try to understand, Trixie, it's not that--”

“Oh, I understand,” Trixie threw back with a glare. “I guess you're only helpful when it suits you, after all.”

“That's not true!” said Twilight desperately. “I'd love to help, but what can I do? I'm the Princess' student, I can't go showing off in an event like that!”

“Why not?!”

“Because--” Twilight broke off, feeling her face begin to heat up. She closed her eyes and turned away. “...I just can't.”

The silence that followed was awful. She wished that Trixie would say something, anything, to make her feel like less of a cruel, selfish pony. When she finally chanced open her eyes though, Twilight saw that Trixie had her back turned completely.

“...I thought we were friends,” the showmare grumbled.

Alarm bells went off all through Twilight's body, and she felt a sickening feeling in her stomach. “Please, don't do that,” she begged, even as her vision started to grow foggy. She tried to blink it clear, but it did little good.

Trixie stayed silent.

Twilight bit her lip, trying to think of the right thing to say, or do. Anything would have done right about then, but she just... couldn't. “I... I--” she stammered. It was too much... All energy left the poor, lavender unicorn, and she fell to her haunches in the middle of the blanket.

Pressing her chin into her own chest, Twilight hoped to pretend that this was all just a dream. A bad dream where she wouldn't even help her friend when asked. A tear escaped her eye...

'Why am I feeling this way?' she wondered hopelessly. 'Why am I crying?'



“...Twilight?”

She screwed up her eyes at the sound of the showmare's voice. Trixie probably didn't even want to be her friend anymore. Twilight wouldn't blame her. “I'm sorry, Trixie...”

“...No,” said Trixie. “That's not fair.”

Twilight shook her head. Trixie was right – it wasn't fair at all, for Twilight to say 'no' based on such selfish reasons. And they were selfish, she couldn't lie to herself about that... She just wanted to go home, pull her pillow over her head and--

Something warm and fluffy brushed against Twilight's fetlock. Craning open her eyes, she saw Trixie sitting in front of her – with a hopeless look on her face and with one hoof reaching out to rub softly against Twilight's.

Trixie paused, staring into her eyes for the longest time before finally leaning forwards so that their necks crossed in a hug. Twilight drew a sharp breath... Trixie had never hugged her before... Why now, of all times?

“I... didn't mean it,” Trixie muttered quietly. “That was a stupid thing to say...”

Twilight choked – kind of a half-laughing, half-sobbing breath. “No, you're right...” she huffed, hanging limp in Trixie's grasp. “Some friend I am...”

Trixie went quiet again, but she didn't pull back. The cuddle was reassuring enough to hold back Twilight's tears, and she managed to get by with only a few sniffles. “...This really matters to you, doesn't it?” Twilight asked, dreading the answer that she knew was coming.

“...More than anything,” said Trixie.

There it was. Twilight breathed a lazy huff and wrapped her hooves around Trixie's back, squeezing her eyes shut as she braced herself. Having heard Trixie say that, there was really no other choice...

“...Okay,” Twilight said simply.

She'd expected to suddenly feel a lot different – a lot better – but she didn't. She didn't feel anything at all. Maybe because she wasn't sure that Trixie had heard...

Twilight gulped down her reservations and pulled back from the embrace. Feeling this, Trixie did the same. Her eyes weren't tearful, but they definitely had a certain shine to them... She gave Twilight a questioning look.

“Okay,” Twilight repeated.

“...Okay?” said Trixie, cocking her head.

Twilight leant forwards and touched her nose against Trixie's, so that all she could see were the showmare's shining, amethyst eyes. “Okay,” Twilight said, with as much fervour as she could muster.

Trixie blinked. It took her all of two seconds to figure it out, and her eyes went wider than Twilight had ever seen them. The glistening didn't go away, nor did the wetness in Twilight's own eyes...

“W-What?” Trixie muttered. “But you were--”

Shaking her head ever so slightly, Twilight pushed harder against Trixie. “It doesn't matter. I... I care about you, Trixie. And, if this is really that important to you, then I care about it too.”

Twilight couldn't see Trixie's cheeks, but judging by the look in her eye, they were probably just as red as Twilight's own. The showmare gulped, blinked, then pushed back. “N-No!” Trixie said. “I care about you too, and you already said you don't want to! I won't let you ignore that just for me!”

Twilight pushed back even harder, evening up with Trixie. She stared determinedly into the showmare's eyes for the longest time, not daring to blink. The words hung on the tip of her tongue. She could've held them – let Trixie have her way. But at the same time, she couldn't...

“...Just try and stop me,” Twilight said.

Something clicked within her. What, where, why or how, she didn't know. But something clicked. The same, exact thing happened to Trixie – Twilight could see it in her eyes...

Slowly, she tipped her head downwards and closed her eyes, not quite sure what she was doing. Trixie followed suit. Their horns brushed together – magic sparking between them – until they finally came to a stop, side by side, as Twilight and Trixie pressed their heads up against each other and a long awaited silence fell over the hilltop...



'...Some picnic,' Twilight thought.

* * *