• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 677 Views, 23 Comments

Cupid Pie - 15gummybears



With Hearts and Hooves Day right around the corner, Pinkie Pie tries her hoof at matchmaking.

  • ...
1
 23
 677

Operation Cupid (Prologue)

Twilight Sparkle was laying on her bed with her favorite book open in front of her, enjoying the feeling of having finished her entire to-do list and finally being able to relax. A faint beam of the setting sun shed a soothing orange color all across the room. After a little while, her eyelids began to droop, and the purple unicorn decided to call it a night. It had, after all, been a pretty exhausting day. Gently placing the sleeping dragon who had formerly been right next to her in his bed, she used her magic to close the blinds, and the room became dark. Just as she was about to get into her soft, warm covers, she heard loud, rapid-fire knocks at the door.

Needless to say, she was pretty upset.

"TWWIILLLIGGHHT!!!" a familiar, slightly-obnoxious voice called from outside.

Great. Twilight thought. What does she want?

Twilight trotted downstairs and opened the door, revealing the bright pink earth pony she knew would be there. "Pinkie, it's 6:30."

"So?"

"So, I was just about to go to bed. What do you need?"

"Oh, I dunno. I'm bored."

Twilight's ear flicked in annoyance.

"Well, go find something to entertain yourself." She closed the door in Pinkie's face, then stood there for a moment to make sure she went away. When nothing happened, she began to make her way back up the stairs.

"TWWIILLLIGGHHT!!!"

The unicorn groaned and walked back towards the door, swinging it open with her magic.

"What?!"

"I can't entertain myself just like that! Everypony else is busy!"

Twilight's eyebrows rose. "It's a Saturday. Who's going to be busy?"

"You seemed awfully busy today. Then again, you're you, so nopony was really surprised."

"What about Rainbow? What was she so busy doing? Sleeping?"

"Nah, Dashie's a spy now."

"A...spy?"

"Yeah. She just sat on her cloud all day, looking at stuff. I couldn't really tell what she was looking at, but she looked as though she was trying to be really sneaky about it."

"O...kay...what about everypony else?"

"Well, Rarity's on vacation, Fluttershy's at this social event thingy, and Applejack's doing even more apple-bucking than usual."

Twilight blinked. "Fluttershy's at a social event? That doesn't seem very much like her. But I'm glad she's trying to broaden her horizons a bit. And I didn't know Rarity was on vacation. Where did she go?"

"Appleoosa"

If Twilight had been drinking something, it would've been all over the floor right then. "Why the hay would Rarity go to Appleoosa?"

Pinkie just shrugged. "Dunno. Anyways, back to the point! I'm bored."

Twilight sighed. "Fine. Come inside, I'm sure you can find a book or something."

"YAY!" Pinkie bounced inside the library and immediately started looking at the vast variety of books. While she was trying to decide on something, Twilight decided she would bring her own book down and read. She wasn't really sleepy anymore. When she came into her room, she noticed that Spike had awoken, most probably because of Pinkie Pie.

"Hi, Spike."

The baby dragon yawned. "Hey, Twilight."

"Do you wanna come down and read with Pinkie and I?"

"Whoa, Pinkie's reading? I didn't think she could stand still for a second. But reading's not really my thing, so I think I'll go back to bed."

"Okay." Twilight grabbed her book and went back downstairs, where Pinkie Pie was still looking for something that was interesting enough for her.

"Hey, Twilight?"

"Yeah?"

"Who's 'Cupid'?" The pink mare pointed at the spine of a book that said 'Cupid: All You've Ever Wanted to Know'. A purple aura surrounded said book as Twilight lowered it the the ground. On the front of it had a picture of a red colt with a wavy white mane and tail and bright pink eyes.

"Cupid," Twilight began. "Is the ancient mythological god of--"

"He looks awfully young to be a god." Pinkie Pie interrupted.

"Mythological is the key word here, Pinkie. Anyways, he's the god of love."

"Ooh, like Cadence!"

"Erm...kind of. And that's Princess Cadence.

"But you don't have to call her Princess, right? I mean, isn't she your sister-in-law?"

"Well, yeah. But anyways, do you see that bow and arrow he's holding?" She pointed to the cover.

"Mm-hm."

"It's said that if he shot an arrow at one pony, and then shot another one at a different pony, they would fall in love."

"I betcha your magic powers are strong enough to do that! You are the element of magic, after all!"

"I wish." Twilight murmured under her breathe.

"What was that, Twi?"

"Oh, n-nothing!" She coughed awkwardly. "I just said that I couldn't actually do that, because love is really hard to alter, even for the most powerful of ponies."

"Oh, ok!" But, truth be told, Pinkie had heard what her friend had said, and why she said it was pretty obvious. Then, all at once, a plan began to unfold inside her head. "Wait, you said that Cupid was mythology right?"

"Yes. Nopony, even Princess Celestia herself, could enchant items like that. Like I said before, love is uncontrollable.

"Well, what if Cupid is real?"

"Pinkie. He's not."

"Why don't we make that a 'she'" Pinkie winked before sprinting out into the last sliver of sunlight, leaving a very confused unicorn in her wake.

*****************

Pinkie paced around her room in The Sugarcube Corner, depicting to Gummy her plan. "Okay, so my first my mission is find out ALL of my friends' dream stallions. They all have one, right? Rainbow Dash never spends all day at home. Fluttershy never goes to social events. Rarity would never go to an 'uncivilized' place like Appleoosa. Twilight...well... just those two words she said and the way she became so flustered afterwards makes it evident to me that she does, in fact, have fantasies of her own. As for Applejack, she's working exceedingly hard as usual, but I'm sure she has a special somepony in mind too. There's obviously something that's making them act this way! But I can do the finding out stuff later. Anyways, so then I'll trigger some event that'll send the meant-to-be-couples running into eachothers' arms! I SHALL CALL IT OPERATION CUPID!" She screamed that last part so loud that Mrs. Cake had to come in and make sure she was alright.

"Yeah, Mrs. Cake." She giggled. "I'm perfectly alright!" After Mrs. Cake left, she remembered something. "Oh, and Hearts and Hooves day is only in a week, so I'll throw a super-duper fun party to celebrate all the new happy couples!"

Gummy stared at her blankly.

" Aw, c'mon, don't look at me like that! Of course it'll work! I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This is my first fanfic (not that it really matters) and it's just an idea that's been spinning in my head for a while now. In the future, I hope to do something bigger and better, but this is just kind of a starting point, y'know? So...yeah. I apologize in advance if the characters aren't very in-character, but I'm going to try my best! Oh, and also, this is going to be all-hetero ships. Not that I have anything against homosexuality! In fact, I'm quite happy to go along with my headcanon that all the ponies are bi. Oh, and this is just a prologue, so I definitely plan on making the future chapters longer!

Comments ( 23 )

Off to a good start, I sense Rariburn in the making. :eeyup:

I like the idea.

But you might want to talk to someone and bounce ideas around with them. I can understand this is your first fanfic, but it felt very rushed, and your characters were really out of character.
Pinkie is not obnoxious! :raritycry: How dare you! :flutterrage:

But back to seriousness maybe I'm missing something - something really big, maybe - because I don't think this deserves the dislikes it got. What little we've got it actually quite interesting.

Also heteroshipping. This'll be interesting to see. (Note distinct lack of compatible stallions)

However I'm pretty sure most readers could actually stab at a guess for some, based on where they've gone this one particular day.

As 1910708 said, it looks like Rariburn's in store if Rarity's gone to Appleoosa.
Then there's Applejack who's on the farm. perhaps she's with Caramel?
Fluttershy and Fancy Pants if she's at a social gathering? Meh maybe not. I don't know that one was just a guess.

Either way, it shall be interesting to see how much you align to my expectations, or whether you completely surprise me.

A fave, and an upvote. :moustache:

1911677
Thank you! I will most definitely work on the characterization. I also agree with you about the fact that this was a little rushed. I think I made the mistake of not waiting at least a day to go back and edit it. For my next chapters, I'm going to try to aim for at 3000+ words. And I'm sorry I called Pinkie Pie obnoxious! I really do think that she's best pony!:pinkiehappy:

As for the available stallions in the series, I honestly think I'm going to have to create a couple of OCs:twilightblush:

But yeah, again, thanks, constructive criticism is always welcomed!

1911677 There's also Soarin, Thunderlane, or Snowflake for Rainbow Dash. And there's also redemption for Blueblood if you really think he deserves it. And there's Pokey Pierce, Flithy Rich, and obviously Big Macintosh. There's a lot more stallions then you might think. :trixieshiftleft:

1912046

Well... Perhaps I limit myself with my own headcanon.

Soarin' is a wonderbolt, Rainbow Dash is just another squealing fan.
Filthy Rich is a father.
Blueblood redemption would be difficult to pull off.
Thunderlane's way too awesome for Dash
And the rest are background characters.

Yes there are a lot of stallions, I'll give you that. But I'm talking characters whom the author isn't required to make up / totally alter to be compatible.

Also Filthy Rich is a father.
Ew! :rainbowlaugh:
Are there any fics where he's been shipped? :rainbowderp:

That said, I want to be surprised! I'm totally over-analyzing this. I'm going to shut up now :rainbowlaugh:

1912002

If you haven't already, just plan out what you're going to do for each chapter. My plans usually consist of about 10 words per chapter, but I'd say I think I underdo it - just a little :raritywink:
Then grab an editor (Despite the fact that your sentence structure and grammar is just plain awesome) and discuss the ideas with him/her. Because then you can evolve them, link then, and make them generally awesome.

Okay Lecture over.

Onto the subject of OCs: These better be befitting OCs! I don't want to see some OC pulling off a sonic rainboom to impress Dash, or some crazy Alicorn swooping in to steal Twilight's heart! I'm surprised Twilight has her eye on anypony anyway! She's always reading books. tut tut it's always those librarians! Twilight, you Lewd Minx :raritywink:

Ooh! What would be spicy is if one of them didn't have their eye on anypony, and so Pinkie Pie tries forcing stallions upon them! Hilarity would most certainly ensue! :rainbowlaugh:

Gah!
Enough commenting!
I have overstepped myself a little.
I shall watch in the shadows and wait for what comes next.

And then I'll comment with a huge comment.

Because Huge Comments are Best Comments! :rainbowkiss:

xf7.xanga.com/296e3753d2037276097892/m219996447.jpg

1912163 To my knowledge we don't know if he has a wife. He could be a single parent. Why do you think I didn't suggest Fancy Pants because he already has a wife in the form of Fluer. :trixieshiftleft:

1912218

I meant his age! :rainbowlaugh: If Apple Bloom is the same as Diamond Tiara, and Applejack is her sister, that'd make Filthy Rich considerably older.
Perhaps age doesn't bother you that much. I have no idea whether it bothers me, tbh. I just can't imagine him in a relationship with any of the mane 6

Forgive me :moustache:

1912225 I'm not saying he has to. I'm just saying that techincally he could be used but it all depends on whether or not you believe him to be single. :trixieshiftleft:

Also what about Big Macintosh you didn't give a reason for excluding Ponyvillie's best known stallion. :eeyup:

1912267 1912225

What about that one guy, what's his name? I think it's Horse Power. I'mma ship him with Dash :pinkiecrazy:

No.

I'm not.

I'm totally kidding.

Speaking of Dash fics, I saw a fanfiction that was Blueblood x Rainbow. My mind was full of what. :derpyderp2:

I think it's really good! You should continue for sure! :pinkiehappy:

1912289

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls8th1zAaM1r0mz83.png

Well, what can I say?
Evidently Rainbow Dash secretly wants to be a Damsel in Distress and told who's boss. This is SO now my headcanon!

Rainbow and Blueblood... Chortlez!
:rainbowlaugh:

1912318 You're welcome! :pinkiesmile:

1912289 I think that one is on Equestria Daily and is a parody of James Bond. Perhaps I'm mistaken though. :trixieshiftright:

1914650
Yep! That's the one. I haven't read it, so I can't really judge it, but I thought the shipping was a little bit...odd.

1915318 Can't say I blame you, it's not one of those ships that you see often.

This fic hasn't died has it?

You wouldn't do that to Apple Bloom, would you?

equestriabr.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/mlp_sad_pony-n1297180322778.jpg

1950099
No, I haven't abandoned it!
I've just been really busy with school and stuff, and only have about half of the first draft done...
I'm sorry Apple Bloom! :fluttercry:

1966884

Ponies > Life

It's the only equation I learned in school :scootangel:

1969433
Yeah, pretty much all my notebooks are covered in pony doodles and such, and I don't dare turn in an essay that doesn't have at least one pony reference in it. THEY'RE DOMINATING MY LIFE! :twilightoops:

Actually, that was the wrong face. I think a more appropriate one would be :pinkiehappy:

Anyways, about the fic, I'm also really lazy. I'll try to have the next chapter up by this Sunday if ponies obliterate the laziness, which is likely to happen.

1972424

:flutterrage:

I found it again, hiding in my favorite box. You thought you could hide???

:duck:

"What could possibly go wrong?"

NEVER say this when you are in a Cartoon OR a Fanfiction

Login or register to comment