• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 267 Views, 7 Comments

Star Swirl: Elemental Origins - Acorn



In a world ruled by Discord, Star Swirl and her friends must fight to bring harmony to the land.

  • ...
 7
 267

The Book

It was a cold night.

No seriously, it was a really fucking cold night.

One of those nights where that icy winter wind blows right through you to your bones, no matter how many layers you may have on.

If you’d like a source for this information I’d be happy to oblige, seeing as I have on about three and I’m still shivering in my boots. The fact that most of the boots have holes in them doesn't help much, but I’m pretty much used to it by now.

Anyway, despite minimal blood flow to the majority of my extremities I continued walking down the snow covered path into town, hood up and horned head lowered to avoid the cold as well as potential interaction with strangers.

“Where is this damn bar at?” I muttered under my breath, my numb lips hardly able to form the words as I surveyed my surroundings again, also know as the small town of Hoofsdale. It wasn't much, but hey, at least it had a bar.

“Don’t tell me I walked right past the thing again.”

A sideways glance from a passing stallion informed me I was probably muttering a little too loudly. I really need to work on that.

Continuing on, I rounded a corner and looked up to see the brick front and heavy wooden doors of my destination at the end of the street and breathed heavy sigh of relief, watching it condense into the frigid air as I picked up my pace. Finally making it to the door I gripped the handle with a small field of purple magic and gave it a quick tug, pulling it open and making my way inside.

“Ah, the wonders of a good furnace.” I said as I closed the door behind me with another burst of magic, sealing out the cold out.

It was surprisingly busy tonight, every bar seat was filled with a person and a glass while the ten or so wooden tables were sprinkled with people and the occasional waitress taking an order.

Nothing fancy, but it got the job done.

Scanning the faces, I looked for the reason I trekked here through the cold in the first place and ah... there she is.

Off in the corner being all mysterious again.

Weaving through tables and ponies alike, I made my way to the back of the room, the small talk and chatter of the other ponies slowly fading away as I moved.

“Cele, you and I need to have a few words about the definition of ‘a little chilly.’ I said as I reached the table and sat on one of the old wooden stools, lowering my hood with another brush of purple magic and revealing my long, currently very disheveled, grey mane.

My companion gave a small smile before replying.

“Well maybe if you didn't live so far out of town it wouldn't be such a problem now would it? You really should just come and stay with me and Luna, Star Swirl. We have more than enough room.”

I shook my head lightly.

“I’ll pass. Besides, I doubt the townsfolk want me any closer to town than I already am as it is.”
I said with a slight chuckle. “Anyway, instead of my living arrangements, why don’t we discuss why exactly you had me hike out here in the middle of a blizzard.”

“Well, I need your help.”

Such simple simple words really, far too simple for what they started. But sometimes the simplest things are what’s most important.

Even if it’s just four words said in some dank, backwater pub for some weird secret meeting that it was absolutely essential I tell no one about.

Or at least that’s what the message she sent the other day said. Not sure if I’m ever gonna get used to that fancy message sending system she came up a couple months ago. She tells me I’m overreacting, but fiery paper raining down from the sky every time she wants to get in touch with me is a little unnerving.

“Star Swirl, are you listening?”

I shook my head quickly to break free from my mental ramblings and looked across to my companion.

“Ya, ya sorry.” I replied quickly, bringing my blue colored hooves up to rest on the table between us and leaning forward slightly “What can I do for you?”

“I have an... idea I would like to discuss with you.”

While she spoke her horn began to glow a soft white, one of a variety of colors, and the flap of her saddlebag opened as she pulled out what looked like a small, tattered old book.

“Good to see you've found a use for those things besides covering up your freaky deaky wings.” I said, gesturing to her saddle bag as the she closed the flap and set the book on the wooden table between us.

Celestia’s eyes widened for a moment and she gave a furtive glance around the musky room, scanning faces for interested stares or sideways looks. After a thorough check, she returned her now much more stern gaze back to me.

“That’s not something to joke about Star Swirl, especially not in public.”

“Have I mentioned you’re getting taller too?”

Her gaze somehow managed to get sterner.

She is truly a mare of many talents.

“Oh come on.” I replied, waving a hoof dismissively. “You’re the same size as me and I’m two years older than you! And if you’re worried about Discord’s spies it’s not like he’s gonna have any in a dump like this. Even he did they’d all be too drunk to care, just like everyone else in the shitty town.”

Celestia shook her head slowly as I turned away with a frown, surveying the crowded pub for a moment before turning back.

“Ugh, my bad Cele.” I said, my voice tinged with regret. “I know this is where you grew up or whatever.”

“It’s fine Star,” Celestia responded, giving a small sigh and a somewhat larger smile, “I’ve heard far worse things out of you. Let’s just get back on topic.” she said gesturing toward the item on the table.

A book, which after further inspection was much older and tattered than previously thought. The spine was loose, the corners were bent, and the pages were torn and yellowed. The cover was almost completely faded out as well, but I could make something out as I leaned in for a closer look.

“Elements and Their Properties.” I muttered under my breath.

Comments ( 7 )

I think Starswirl the Bearded was male in the gen 4 universe. Considering the beard part.

This is what I kinda pictured Star Swirl to look like.....and this just blew my friggin mind

>Gweat and Powaful Twixie

-I don't know if it's stated explicitly, but yes that's more than likely true. Star Swirl as a female is more of a silly headcannon of mine I guess and it worked out better that way for the story as well.

>ApocalypsePwny777

-I'm not sure if it was the story or the video that blew your mind but thanks for reading regardless,

Interesting

1808358

-Thanks, glad you like it

1808381
Glad you wrote it.

1808198
I have heard that in more than one story, and I think it's adorkable!

Best story I ever heard has Starswirl conjuring a beard, much like Twilight's #25 to gain entry into a stallions only magic academy. She quickly rises to the top and gains a leading position at the school, and fights to eliminate the stallions only rule. She then reveals herself, for the lulz! :twilightsmile:

Of course, becoming so renowned for her skills and gaining the title, featuring her facial hair... it sorta grows on her. :moustache:

Login or register to comment