• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,670 Views, 240 Comments

No Longer an Enigma - enigmaMystere



How Enigma, from 'Epic Rap Battles of MLP', met his current friends.

  • ...
1
 240
 1,670

Meet the Challenge

The next morning, the red stallion woke up to a beam of light filtering through a window. He groaned, getting up and quietly stretching. He glanced at a clock nearby, his eyes widening at the time. “Buck!”

In a panic, he rushed into the bathroom, took a quick shower and flew out the door, hastily fastening his saddlebag on the way. He slammed the door, somehow not waking up the sleeping filly he currently shared living space with.

He made it, with little time to spare. He shot over the packed audience, not bothering to look at them or the multiple posters and banners around them. He landed on the stage, panting softly. “...I-I’m here...”

“Good.” Vinyl didn’t even look up, using her magic to attach a headset to him. “You’ll need that, bro.”

Enigma frowned, tilting his head. “...why do you keep calling me ‘bro’, Vi?”

She froze, straightening up before glaring daggers at him. “Don’t you dare call me that. Only my friends call me ‘Vi’, and you’re not even close to that.” She turned her body towards him, a smirk on her lips. “I call everyone who annoys me ‘bro’.”

“Ah.” The red pegasus fiddled with the strange contraption bopping his nose for a few moments before it dawned on him. “...I annoy you?”

She rolled her eyes, messing with a few wires. “Like a Rickroll, bro.”

He put a hoof to his chest, feeling as though it had suddenly gotten tighter. “...I-I see...” He turned away, sad and slightly confused. “...what’s a ‘Rickroll’?”

He was so lost in his thoughts, which had drifted to whether or not chocolate was healthy for a pony, he didn’t realize that Vinyl was trying to get his attention. At least, until she threw a rubber ball at him.

“Hey!” Enigma blinked, looking over at the irate DJ. “Are you ready or not?”

“...ready for what?”

She nodded. “He’s ready.” She turned to the black-maned unicorn behind the turntables, grinning widely. “We’re ready, Glaze! Let’s spin this sh*t!”

The white unicorn glared at some point on the ceiling, frowning deeply. “...stupid author, censoring my words before the rap battle but not during it...”

The yellow-and-green-maned pegasus mare behind the turntables nodded, suddenly starting up some music.

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF MLP!

Enigma just stared at the white mare across from him, completely confused by the slightly auto-tuned voice coming from the speakers as well as the situation. “...rap battle?” He looked around, finally noticing the banners with ‘EPIC RAP BATTLE TODAY!’ scrawled across them. “W-”

VS.

BEGIN!

Just step back, bro, and watch me kill you with rhymes.
Beatin’ up a worthless colt like you is a big waste of time!
So you have a pair of wings and claim to be some nice guy?
Yeah, try saying that again and look me straight in the eye!
You’re a snoozer, a poozer, a stuck up little loser.
You’re not even a cannon - just glass against a bruiser!
As far as I’m concerned, you’re a seller pushin’ bad wares.
Go take your stupid offer to somepony who cares!

Oh, so that’s how it’s gonna be? Well fine, then!
But you’re gonna do what I say when I take the win.
You think you’re so great atop your pedestal so tall
But you’re in for a shock when I’ll make you take a fall.
Your dubstep’s just trashy, your pop songs are all clashy,
Your rock’s like a rash, see - stop bein’ so brash, V!
If I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re drowning sorrows.
Stop killin’ yourself; live t’ see your defeat tomorrow!

You’re not my dame, so shut up, you hack!
Your rhymes are completely messed up, Jack!
You’re scared - I already recognize your tell.
Bro, I could beat you with a single brain cell!
Everypony knows me - my wubs are the best!
What have you done, loser? Oh, but I digress.
I’ll drag your fat flank down to the buckin’ salon,
Get the mares there to take your ugly face on!

Who’s this Jack you speak of? I don’t rightly know.
Especially when you mess up by going slow!
You’re lying - your body’s a clear read any day.
Just one cell? Well, you’re quickly heading that way!
I heard from your roommate you’re the filly of Fancy.
I think you need to follow their advice, B!
Take your turntables and head off into the sunset.
It’s the closest to a ‘happy ending’ you’ll ever get.

Did you just call me a bitch? Bro, you’re DEAD!
I’ll take this blank record and cut off your head!
String you up to four carriages and send them four ways
I’ll watch your limp limbs drag lifelessly for days!
Why do you even care if I drink tons of booze?
It’s as if you’re purposely tryin’ to lose!
Need proof I’m tough? Hick, I’ve got scars on scars.
Run off to your momma like the filly you are!

I’ve told you before, Vinyl, I’m not a fuckin’ filly.
I’ll take your dumb shades and use them to knock you silly!
I’m the better rapper. That’s why I’m the closer.
You can’t even make up your own rhymes, poser!
Oh, and thanks for the book, it’s been a big help, Scratch.
Now I can clearly tell you think I’m a good catch!
I know somethin’ for a fact - go bank on these words.
When you were young, ya carried ‘round a ‘safety record’!

Vinyl's jaw dropped, her shades slipping down her nose in shock. “...how did you...” She growled, turning to the side. “...Tavi...how dare she reveal something so personal!” She stomped over to the red pegasus, pressing her forehead against his in an attempt to intimidate him. “Yeah, I carried a record around like a safety blanket when I was younger. Big whoop, ya wanna fight about it?”

Enigma just stared at the angry disk jockey, his eyes almost popping out of his head from his surprise. “...I just made up that last part so it would rhyme...you really have a safety record?”

There was a small awkward pause. Nopony moved, not even the crowd. Honestly, even the DJ had no idea what to do. So, deciding that it was probably best to break the silence, a gray, black-maned unicorn reached for the microphone. Before he could say anything, though, a random voice shouted from the crowd.

"NOW KISS!"


WHO WON? WHO’S NEXT? YOU DECIDE!

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF MLP!

Author's Note:

Yes, there will be periodical rap battles in this story. No, they will not be the focus of it. Sorry. :twilightblush: Also, yes, Enigma slipped into a Texan accent at the end, there. He's from the pony equivalent of Texas. :scootangel: And I apologize for the lack of title cards. :twilightblush: Since one of the rappers doesn't have one made, I figured I would post the chapter and put the title card in sometime later. :derpytongue2:

I do not own Glaze, and I worry about using the OC without her creator's permission. :ajsleepy:

I hope you enjoy this chapter, please vote (I'm fairly certain it's important to the story's development) and Merry Christmas!

Enigma out.~