• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,668 Views, 240 Comments

No Longer an Enigma - enigmaMystere



How Enigma, from 'Epic Rap Battles of MLP', met his current friends.

  • ...
1
 240
 1,668

Meet the Eccentric Enthusiast

Enigma glanced over at the remains of the boulder, shivering slightly. “...maybe it’s best I flew around a bit...calm myself down...” As soon as he said that, thoughts of the white filly at his house suddenly came to mind. He frowned slightly, steeling his resolve. “No. I promised I’d get her better food, and I’m going to do it!” He trotted off to the market, head held high.

As soon as he entered the bazaar, he lost all confidence. The open-air trading center wasn’t that full, but there was a large number of stalls laid out in front of him. It seemed every type of goods was being sold there. He even saw one next to him selling exotic animals, including a bemused white tiger.

As he walked along, he noticed that there were several buyers glancing surreptitiously at him. He groaned, ignoring them as best he could, looking for something that his small friend might like. “...let’s see...she liked the cereal from before...so maybe something sweet?”

He walked up to a nearby stall, smiling politely at the sea-green unicorn behind the counter. “Hello there. You sell candy, correct?”

She merely shook her head, an amused smile on her face. “No, we sell bon-bons. Chocolate treats filled with surprises. My marefriend makes them!” She giggled, leaning over the counter, closer to the red pegasus. “You know what I’m talking about, don’t you? After all, you and DJ P0N-3 are an item, right?”

Enigma stood there, blankly staring at her, trying to figure out what she meant, as well as why her voice sounded so familiar. Soon, though, the realization hit him, much like his hoof to his face immediately afterwards. He sighed, resting said hoof on the counter. “...two things. One, we aren’t anything even remotely resembling a couple. Two, I’m a colt.”

The mare giggled, placing her hoof atop the red pony’s. “Well then, you’re the cutest stallion I’ve ever seen.” She laughed a bit more, pulling her hoof away. “The name’s Lyra. What’s yours?”

“It’s Enigma.” He glanced around, curious. He looked back up at her, head tilted slightly. “Do you have any that are just chocolate?”

She pointed a hoof at a stack of treats, which looked just as fancy as the others, smiling brightly. “These are hard chocolate shells filled with creamy chocolate mousse.” She sat back, apparently distracted.

The red stallion nodded, pointing at the chocolates. “Yeah, that sounds about good.” He looked up, finally noticing the distant look in her eyes. He followed her line of sight, seeing that it stopped at the wooden sword sticking out of his bag. He turned back to her, an eyebrow raised quizzically. “...can I help you, Lyra?”

She practically leaped over the counter at him, a wide grin on her face. “That sword! Where did you get it?”

He took a step back, shocked at the sudden outburst. “...I found it in the street...I almost tripped over it...” He moved to the side, barely avoiding the swing of the sword as it flew out of his bag and floated in the air in front of the unicorn.

“This is amazing!” She turned the toy around several times, getting a good look at the handle, specifically. “There’s no teeth marks, no trace of other ponies’ magic anywhere on this!” She rounded on the stallion, hugging him tightly. “Thanks for this amazing find!”

He blushed brightly, trying his best to escape her grip. “...need...air...”

“Oops!” Lyra let go of him, smiling playfully. “I forgot that you have a certain mare in your sights!~”

Enigma facehoofed, sighing in slight annoyance. “...I don’t-” At that moment, another realization struck him. “...you.”

The sea-green unicorn laughed, waving a hoof at him. “I’m flattered, really, but I’m taken!”

He narrowed his maroon eyes, staring directly into her golden ones. “...you were the one who shouted...that...at the end of the rap battle this morning...”

She shrugged, grinning widely. “I thought you two were cute together! You agree, don’t you?”

For the longest time, the dark red pegasus just scowled at her. She began to squirm, feeling a little uncomfortable. Eventually, he pointed at the chocolate-filled chocolates, frowning deeply. “Two dozen of those.” He tossed five bits onto the counter, grabbed the wooden sword and his purchase and left.

Lyra merely shook her head, smiling softly. “Those two are perfect for each other, I just know it!” She sat back, staring at the clouds in the sky, trying to find shapes in them.

Author's Note:

So yeah, this is probably the only chapter I’ll post before I have to get ready to go back to college. Still, I think it’s alright...if anyone disagrees with this, please let me know. :twilightsmile:

Yes, Lyra is fangirling over a wooden sword that has no sign of being used by ponies. She believes it to be a human relic, or something.

The choices for next chapter. Assume that he’d bought the food by this point. :raritywink:

1) Fly around Canterlot,
2) Visit the Art Museum, or
3) Wander the streets.

Have a nice day!

Enigma out.~