• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,668 Views, 240 Comments

No Longer an Enigma - enigmaMystere



How Enigma, from 'Epic Rap Battles of MLP', met his current friends.

  • ...
1
 240
 1,668

Meet the Occupational Obligations

Enigma slowly opened his eyes, seeing the same yellow pegasus from before standing over him. She had concern clearly showing in her eyes. He stood up, blushing brightly. “...please don’t mention what just happened...ever...”

Fluttershy nodded, blushing just as much. “...I’m really sorry that happened...I don’t know what I was thinking...” She averted her gaze, nervously adjusting the green-and-yellow wig on her head.

A bird flew in through an open window, landing on the table and twittering. Apparently, the yellow pegasus understood it, as her eyes widened in response. “Oh my!” She looked at the red stallion, an apologetic look on her face. “I’m sorry, I have to go. If you need help, I’m sure Neon Lights would be happy to assist you.” She opened the rear exit, quickly flying off.

The dark red pony stood there for a few moments, thinking hard. “...okay, so I need to help Vi move some eq-”

*THWACK*

He held his hooves to the back of his head, groaning softly. Looking over his shoulder, he saw the mare responsible frowning at him.

She put down the sock full of what he assumed were oranges, sighing. “Don’t call me Vi, bro.” She lowered her shades, her magenta eyes flickering over his body briefly. “...you don’t seem that strong...” The unicorn paced around him, examining him like he was an apple on a food cart. “...decently-sized wings...no cutie mark...messy-”

He glanced over at her, confused as to why she stopped talking mid-sentence. He saw her staring at his flank, her shades precariously perched on her nose, allowing him to see her stunned expression. “...Vinyl?”

Her gaze moved from his flank to his face, her face completely neutral. “...you have got to be bucking kidding me.”

Enigma frowned at the unicorn. “What? I haven’t discovered my talent, yet.”

“What about out there!?” She gestured out the door, growling at him. “You buckin’ beat me in a rap battle, and act like it was nothing!”

He defensively held his hooves up, backing away. “...I-I don’t see your point...I just don’t think rapping is my talent...”

Vinyl facehoofed, sighing softly. “...whatever.” She moved towards the door, a devious grin forming on her lips. “...here’s what I want you to do, first...”

Enigma followed her, smiling brightly. This is going to be fun! I’m sure Vinyl is a great boss!


The feminine stallion slumped against a wall in the back room, struggling to get air into his lungs. This mare is just plain cruel!

He’d spent the last half hour cleaning up multiple messes, adjusting speakers both on the ground and in the air, bringing snacks for Vinyl to eat while playing and, at one point, kicking out an overly-rowdy stallion who tried to get onstage. This wouldn’t have been a problem, had he been given a little time between chores. As it was, he’d hardly had time to breathe.

He groaned, getting back on his hooves. ...I can do this... He gritted his teeth, taking shaky step after shaky step. ...I won’t let Vinyl down...

The white unicorn in question was watching him from outside the door, her head tilted in curiosity. She turned her head to the side, muttering to herself. “...I was sure he’d give up by now...” She tapped her chin with a hoof, her devious smile returning. “...hey, bro...I have another task for you...”


He pulled open the cover of the speaker, inspecting the wiring carefully. “...let’s see here...” He carefully touched a yellow wire with a hoof, following it to where it connected to the motherboard. “...okay...”

Vinyl warily watched over his shoulder, wondering if he had any experience with wires. “I need you to know how to take care of my equipment, so we’re going to start with this speaker. It’s been broken for a while, so I want it repaired.” She turned away, chuckling softly to herself. “...there’s no way he’ll fix this...it was never working in the first place!” She cleared her throat, pointing at a small mass of wires. “Now, this is-”

He bumped her hoof away, startling the unicorn. He practically dove into the device, pulling the wiring loose, stray bits of electronics flying out around his body.

The disk jockey watched in horror as her device was disassembled before her eyes. “Stop! What the hay are you doing!?” She growled, shaking his body in her anger. “Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to make my bas-”

“Done.”

She blinked, confused. “...what?”

He pulled himself out of the case, carefully putting the cover back. “I fixed it. You were overloading the capacitors, but I solved your problem.” He shrugged, smiling brightly at his boss. “Simple, really. And look!” He pointed at the front, indicating a few spots where it opened up. “I even fixed the spring mechanism!”

She stared down at the silver device, attentively looking at it. She carefully put her hoof on the red button at the top. Frowning slightly, she pulled her hoof away. “Not here.” Vinyl turned to Enigma, smirking slightly.

“Let’s go try this baby out.”

Author's Note:

Thanks to runforever101 for helping me with the ideas for this chapter! :pinkiehappy: Also, yes, Enigma was able to fix the device. For those of you who don't think he should, I have one thing to ask: what was his doctorate in, again? :scootangel:

How many of you can guess what the major reference is in this chapter? :ajsmug:

Have a nice day!

Enigma out.~