• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 708 Views, 9 Comments

The Truth Behind Surprise - ThatGirl2147



Surprise is an average mare, at least to those who don't know the truth.

  • ...
 9
 708

Chapter 2

Sugarcube Corner was a rather large, two-story confectionery, with its exterior having been built to resemble a massive gingerbread house. Surprise trotted to the front entrance of the building and entered, ringing a bell as the door swung open.

The scent of various desserts wafted about the main room of the shop. A few ponies sat at tables, enjoying tea and coffee. Behind the glass counter that displayed various fresh treats stood the pink mare Surprise recognised from the day before.

“Surprise, surprise,” beamed the mare, waving a hoof rapidly at the Pegasus. “Welcome to Sugarcube Corner, Surprise! What can I get you?”

In response, the white mare beamed a smile at Pinkie Pie and approached the counter. “Good day to you, Pinkie,” greeted she. “But, I’m afraid I’m broke right now.”

“Oh, nonsense,” dismissed Pinkie, putting her hoof on Surprise’s forehead playfully. “First one’s on us!" She retired to the kitchen and emerged a few seconds later, holding a scrumptious-looking peanut butter cupcake and a cup of black tea. She turned to face her customer, but the white mare was nowhere to be seen. “Umm, Surprise?”

“Good Day, Pinkie!” greeted the green Earth Stallion Pinkie spoke to the day before.

The pink mare’s eyes widened as she heard her friend’s voice. “Perry!” said she rather excitedly. “Perry, was Surprise standing where you’re standing a few seconds ago?”

Periwinkle raised a confused brow at the unusual inquiry. “I didn’t see anypony when I walked in,” answered he. “You know, I don’t recall seeing Surprise all day today.”

“How did she do that?” asked Pinkie, to nopony in particular. “She was just here.”

Periwinkle gave a shrug. “No idea. But, you have a history of disappearing and appearing almost instantly yourself.”

The mare nodded. “Good point,” agreed she. She then looked to the cupcake and tea still in her hoof. “I guess I’ll put these back, then.”

“That’s alright,” replied the stallion. “I was actually coming in here for a delicious Sugarcube Corner snack. What do I owe you?”

“Normally,” began Pinkie, “that’s two bits, but I was going to cover it for Surprise. I may as well cover it anyway.”

Periwinkle shook his head. “No, that wouldn’t feel right.” He then produced the necessary funds from a saddlebag and gave them to Pinkie, who gave him the cupcake and tea in return. He thanked the mare politely and trotted to an empty table.

A few hours later, Pinkie Pie left the confectionery on her daily lunch break. She made her way to a small diner not too far away from Sugarcube Corner, where her cyan friend was waiting.

“Hey, Dashie!” greeted the pink mare with a large grin.

Rainbow Dash subtly waved a hoof at her friend as she took her seat across from her. “Hey, Pinkie Pie,” greeted she. “I took the liberty of ordering for both of us already. How’s it going?”

“Great!” Pinkie Pie then went into detail of her day to that point. Her voice began to trail off as she mentioned recent events. “...And then,” detailed she, “I thought I saw and talked to Surprise. But, the next thing I know, she’s gone without a trace. It’s the weirdest thing.”

In response, Rainbow gave a hearty giggle. “Pinkie,” said she after her laugh, “you’re a bit of an escape artist yourself; sometimes it seems that YOU come out of nowhere and return just as fast.”

Within a second of the cyan Pegasus’ statement, a tan Unicorn Stallion with a black mane, tail, and facial hair emerged from the diner, carrying in his Magenta magical grip a platter containing two plates of salad, two glasses of iced water, and a few bottles of various types of salad dressing. He lowered the platter onto the table and allowed the magenta glow to dissipate. “Sorry for the wait,” apologised he humbly, but smiling no less. “Enjoy your meal, Madames.”

“Thank you,” said both mares politely as Rainbow Dash paid the server. The pair then began to enjoy their lunch. While they ate, they discussed various things, including Surprise.

“You know,” marked Rainbow Dash, “you two are a lot alike, don’t you think?”

Pinkie didn’t give the question much thought, choosing instead to focus on her salad. As she took a bit, a drop of white dressing dripped onto her hoof. Nonchalantly, she looked at her own hoof and nearly jumped from the table as she saw a pearl white hoof before her.

“Are you alright?” asked the cyan mare, oblivious to what her friend saw. “Calm down; it’s just a spot of dressing that doesn’t even stain.”

The pink mare shook her head rapidly to clear her thoughts. She took another look at her hoof, and it was pink again, with the small spot of dressing. She wiped the spot on her napkin and laughed nervously. “Yeah; it’s nothing,” said she just as nervously.

Rainbow raised a confused brow. “Are you alright?” repeated she. “you seem kind of weird, and not your normal weird.”

“Nope,” declined Pinkie. “Just a little tired is all.” She then beamed a large, almost artificial smile toward her cyan friend.

After a few seconds of silence, Rainbow Dash spoke. “Uh, okay then,” said she, “just know that if there is a problem, I’m listening.” With that, the pair finished their meal without another word.

As the pink mare pronked joyously through the town back to her workplace, she smiled and greeted everypony who passed. She looked to see Surprise a few metres away, and gave her a wave which she returned.

She continued for a bit and saw the same mare, browsing Roseluck’s flower stand. Her friend didn’t seem to notice her, so she shrugged and went about her hopping until she reached Sugarcube Corner.

The rest of Pinkie Pie’s work day went on without incident, until closing time came. The pearl mare Pinkie had been sporadicly seeing all day walked into the shop, whistling a very old tune. Pinkie’s bosses, Cup and Carrot Cake, were cleaning tables and managed to smile at the mare. The former was a small cerulean Earth Mare with a swirling crimson mane and a tail to match. The latter was a tall, lanky Earth Stallion with a thick jaw, a light amber coat, and a brilliant orange mane. Both wore their trade, and both wore looks of a hard day’s work on their faces.

“Pinkie, Dear,” began Cup Cake, her voice fatigued, “could you take care of this last customer before you turn in?”

“You got it, Mrs. Cake!” beamed the pink mare in return. “How are you doing, Surprise?”

Surprise drew a heavy yawn before she answered. “Tired; I was doing some work in Cloudsdale all day. How are you?”

Pinkie’s eyes went wide as questions filled her mind. “Umm,” stammered she at first, but finished with a smile, “I’m great. What can I get you?”

“What’s left?” asked the customer, browsing the glass counter.”

By instinct, Pinkie darted to the kitchen and back, holding a peanut butter cupcake and cup of black tea on a plate in her hooves. “How’s this look?”

The pegasus stared in awe at the pastry. “It looks absolutely delightful,” beamed she. “How’d you know peanut butter was my favourite?”

“I didn’t,” replied Pinkie with honesty, “it’s just today’s special. Enjoy!”

Before Surprise accepted the cupcake, she scratched her mane with her hoof. As she did this, a few bits fell from the fluffy yellow mass onto the hardwood floor. She then scooped up the coins and placed them on the counter. “Will that cover it?” asked she with a grin.

Pinkie nodded. “And a bonus for showmareship,” said she with an impressed nod. “hat seems like something I’d do,” marked she as she slid the plate to her friend.

“Thanks, Pinkie,” said Surprise as she took a bite of the cupcake. With a euphoric exhale, she remarked, “it’s amazing. I bet they’re ten times better fresh.” She only took about a minute to finish the cupcake, as well as her tea. “Worth every crown. Goodnight, Pinkie. Goodnight, Pinkie’s bosses.” With that, she departed from the shop.

Carrot Cake raised an inquisitive brow. “Hmm, strange,” thought he aloud.

Both mares looked to the stallion. Noticing them, he clarified, “she said ‘worth every crown,’ like it was a currency.” As the mares continued to stare at them in confusion, he further explained, “a ‘crown’ is a type of money that hasn’t been used for hundreds of years.”

“Hmm, that IS strange,” agreed Mrs. Cake.

Mr. Cake shrugged. “Oh, well,” said he without concern. “It’s probably nothing; a 'retro’ fad I don’t know about or something like that.”

“Oh, well,” dismissed Cup Cake. “Let’s check on Pound and Pumpkin, and then go to bed; it’s late.”

Everypony nodded and, having confirmed that the Cakes’ foals are sleeping soundly, turned in for the night.

Pinkie Pie slept restlessly as her dreams were invaded by images and thoughts about the white mare who keeps appearing and disappearing where she doesn’t belong. She woke up twice in the dead of the night, startled both times by the tuft of her mane that dangled before her eyes. She swore that she saw light yellow instead of pink.

Comments ( 3 )

Sorry for taking so long to review, I've been on a bit of a reading break.

Anyway, this story is getting interesting and I look forward to seeing what happens

1907624
I'm terribly sorry it took me so long to write the damned thing, Mate.

1909683
You're perfectly fine with writing times, I should know I've been writing one story for a year!

Login or register to comment