• Published 21st Oct 2012
  • 559 Views, 0 Comments

Friendship is Forever: Redux - fabrosi



Another story about adventure, conspiracy, destruction of innocence, and fear of death.

  • ...
 0
 559

Chapter 5: The Heartache

Chapter 5: The Heartache

The sun reached its apex above six ponies as they traveled downhill through the verdant pass, following a gentle stream whose winding convolutions indicated the path of least resistance to the edge of the vast plains that lay beyond the mountains. Their destination was clearly visible, but the immense distance demanded that they stop to eat along the way.

“I think we should look around and confirm where we are,” said Twilight as she retrieved the map from her saddlebags. Once it was laid out on a relatively dry and relatively flat patch of ground, she leaned down, located Canterlot, and began mentally tracing the path they’d taken through the foothills.

Rarity gave the map a quick glance in between unpacking their sandwiches. She stopped, letting one hover in midair as she did a double-take. “What’s that wing inside the red circle?” While she was distracted, Pinkie walked past her, grabbing the sandwich out of the air with her mouth.

“I assume we’re looking for something with a wing carved on it,” said Twilight, squinting at the place Rarity had indicated. “Or maybe a wing made from some kind of metal? It’s not really clear.”

“I was thinking of asking Celestia for more explanation,” said Fluttershy, “but she seemed like she was in such a hurry.”

Twilight shrugged. “If we’re still confused when we get there, we can always send Celestia a letter.”

They continued to study the map as they ate. Twilight observed that their path across the plains would lead them away from any main roads, out into a stretch of wilderness to the east. The wing, or whatever it was, seemed to be inside a large cave in north side of a large mountain. Scanning the rest of the map, she saw a second wing far to the north of Canterlot, atop the peak of one of the Crystal Mountains. “We should go there next,” she said, pointing to it. “It’s another wing, so we’ll know what to look for by then.”

Pinkie leaned down, squinting at the southern portion of the map as she swallowed the last of her sandwich. “What’s that thing there?”

Twilight slid the map towards herself, revealing the part that was obscured by Pinkie’s face. She recognized the reddish terrain as dragon migration lands, but the circled symbol…

“Is that a skull?” asked Rarity. It certainly looked to be, and whatever it was, it seemed to be inside some kind of fortress.

“What kind of artifacts are these?” asked Applejack.

“I guess they’re the kind left behind by an ancient and terrible force,” said Twilight. She couldn’t help but wonder what details Celestia had chosen to keep from her, and why. What about this foe was so terrible that she and her friends shouldn’t fight him, especially given the kinds of enemies they’d overcome before? Why had she said he was dangerous, but not evil?

Pinkie waved dismissively, blowing a raspberry. “Whatever. It’s nothing new, right? Collecting weird magical artifacts and defeating ancient monstrosities is pretty much our thing at this point.”

“I guess so. Come to think of it, Celestia decided not to tell me anything about Nightmare Moon before we went up against her, so maybe there are some things we’re supposed to learn on our own.”

They finished eating and set off, now making visible progress towards the plains. Twilight found herself lingering behind the others, glancing over her shoulder, squinting into the shadows cast by towering evergreens. She wondered what she was watching out for.

“I’ve been thinking about the funeral,” she said without meaning to. She blushed as she felt her friends’ eyes land on her. “Standing so close to a dead body felt… weird.”

“Everypony always says they look like they’re sleepin’,” said Applejack, shaking her head. “It ain’t so. He looked like… he wasn’t a pony no more, just some kinda’ thing.”

Rarity nodded. “It was like a mannequin or a scarecrow. Shaped like a pony, just… not quite right.”

“I don’t want that to happen to me.”

Again, Twilight blushed. Her friends watched her tentatively, all slowing down while she passed them. When she didn’t turn around, Pinkie trotted up alongside her. “That’s normal, isn’t it? Hardly anypony wants to die.”

Twilight nodded, biting her lip. “Being there at the funeral, though… it reminded me that the same thing is going to happen to me someday, too. It’s terrifying to think about.”

“That’s life, ain’t it?” said Applejack. “We live until we’re sick o’ livin’, then we stop. Why worry while we’re still young?”

“Because when I stop and think about it, a lifetime doesn’t seem like that long. Some animals, like dragons, get to live for thousands of years. Alicorns are immortal. Compared to that, living eighty or ninety years seems like nothing.”

“That’s a matter of perspective, isn’t it?” said Rarity. “By that logic, I should imagine rabbits and squirrels must be quite jealous of us.”

“They are,” confirmed Fluttershy from the back of the group.

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat and her stomach felt uneasy. “So this isn’t something any of you think about a lot?”

“Dying, you mean?” asked Rarity.

For a few seconds, the only sound was of their hooves shuffling down the slope. Then, Twilight said: “Yeah. It just seems so wrong that every pony who lives should have to die. It’s not like anyone deserves to.”

“Of course they don’t,” said Rainbow Dash, flying up alongside her, “but being alive in the first place is a pretty good deal if you ask me. You just need to get back your sense of adventure. The meaning of life is to live. If you can manage that, then it’s worth it.”

Twilight nodded. “I guess I feel a little better. Maybe someday all of this will make more sense.”

By the time they reached the plains, the day had settled into a sultry, lazy afternoon, forecasting the impression that it had done all it was going to do and was simply waiting for night to arrive. As the sun began to set, the ponies set up camp, laying their sleeping bags on a dry patch of dirt beneath the clear night sky. Twilight gazed out across the mountainous horizon, trying to ignore the lump in her throat and the heartache that tugged at her like a needy foal.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment