• Published 14th Jan 2012
  • 1,024 Views, 8 Comments

End of the Rainbow - Dalkrin-the-Wanderer



Rainbow suffers a life changing injury. Will her friends be able to keep her from dispair?

  • ...
2
 8
 1,024

End of the Rainbow Part II

End of the Rainbow Part II

"Says his name is 'Mach Cone'."

Rainbow Dash Sat almost bolt upright, throwing the pillow across the room. "The hay does HE want," She spat. Of all the ponies that could have come to see her, why did it have to be him. At this point she would have preferred 'The Great and Powerful Trixie'. She glowered at the door as the orderly looked back out of the room nervously.

"I could send him away," the orderly suggested, preparing to do just that.

With a defeated sigh Rainbow instructed the orderly to let him in. Might as well hear the colt out. She did just whip his tail after all. Maybe he was here to congratulate her on her victory. This somehow didn't seem like something she would welcome from him. When he came inside, Dash was absently picking at the bandages wrapped around her chest and glaring at him. She stopped for a moment, when she saw the flowers gripped in his mouth. Gingerly he set them down on the foot of her bed. For a moment, she just looked at them, then up at The gunmetal grey stallion with the black mane before her.

"What's this?" She asked, nudging the flowers with a hoof. "I don't even know you."

"I know," Mach Cone said quietly. He looked her over and his eyes rested for a moment on her severed wing. She noticed and her expression hardened. "I needed to see if you were alright." He said after a moment. "That was a bad wreck and I can't help but think it was kinda my fault."

"How was it your fault," Rainbow demanded of the grey stallion. "I'm the one who lost control and got chummy with the road."

"Way I see it, Maybe you wouldn't have felt you needed to push yourself if I hadn't decided I needed to show you up." Mach Cone was scuffing the ground guiltily as he spoke. "Maybe you'd still be up there."

"Don't flatter yourself," Rainbow scoffed. "I wasn't trying to show you up! I was... I was gonna ..." Rainbow's haughty demeanor instantly deflated. "I was gonna join the Wonderbolts..." Her whisper was barely audible as she slouched in bed and rested her head on her hooves. If she had any more tears, she would have started crying.

"I should go," Mach Cone said uncertainly.

"Yeah... You should."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, the longest week of the cyan mare's life and Nurse Redheart signed her release forms. Dash was just as low as she was after Mach Cone's visit but she decided to put on a brave face for her friends. Pinkie Pie had predictably decided that a party was in order for the whole town to welcome Rainbow back.

As Rarity and Applejack escorted Rainbow from the Clinic, her mind began to wander. It had been doing that a lot. She thought of her friends. Thank Celestia that they were with her. She didn't think she could do it all alone. She thought of her job. She couldn't work as a weather pony anymore unless she wanted a boring desk Job. Who would want to sit around all day planning the weather? Well, there was Twilight, but she's a pony of a different color altogether. This made rainbow smile a bit as the trio stepped out into the street. Twilight would be just the type to get a kick out of weather-planning. But still, where would she get the bits to support herself? She can't ask her friends, that's out of the question, not only would it be rude, but Rainbow Dash does not take handouts.

What else could she do? What was she good at? For years, ever since flight camp, her whole life was flying. Without that, she was nothing. Less than nothing. Her smile drained away as quickly as it came. Rarity noticed her expression and gave her a gentle smile.

"Rainbow, Darling, you don't have to attend," She said genially. "It's just a party, and I'm sure Pinkie Pie would have no objection to rescheduling or even throwing a private affair with just us."

"Thanks Rare," Rainbow said. "It's no biggie, I'll be fine! Besides, maybe a party's just the thing to take my mind off of... you know..."

"But of course, Dear." Rarity said. "It's at Sugar Cube Corner, and we've made sure that nopony will shout out 'surprise' today."

"Thanks. Don't know if I can handle any surprieses for a while."

"So," Applejack began earnestly. "What're you gonna do now sugarcube? Fer work ah mean."

"Dunno," replied Dash flatly. "Been wondering the same thing myself." She trotted in the amiable quiet granted her by her friends the rest of the way to Sugarcube Corner. The party inside was in full swing as they approached the bakery. Rainbow Dash stopped and turned to Applejack and Rarity. "Thank you guys." She said evenly, and hugged the two.

"Whatever for dear?" Rarity asked, returning the hug gently so as not to disturb the bandaged Pegasus.

"For being here..." Rainbow said, pulling away. "For being my friends and putting up with me."

"Aw, Sugarcube, what're friends fer?" AJ gave a friendly nuzzle and her warm smile. "Now C'mon! Party's a'waitin!"

The party was just what you would expect from the pink party pony. Streamers and cake, balloons and party hats. It was just as innocently juvenile as every one before and it really did help to lift Rainbow's spirits. Friends from all over town wished her well and offered her help getting back on her feet after the accident. Politely but firmly, she declined these offers. Rainbow Dash doesn't take handouts. The party was reaching crescendo when Pinkie Pie interrupted the music and stood on the counter to addressed the general congregation.

"Hey, Everypony enjoyin' the party?" She asked, expecting nothing less than the hoofstomps and cheers she got. "Good, but tonight we have a very super-duper-ultra Special guest that would like to say something!" Pinkie looked over the crowd till she spotted Rainbow Dash and gestured over to her.

"Pinkie, I don't have anything to say..." She said in an urgent rasp as she smiled to the crowd.

"Oh, it's not you, Silly Filly!" Pinkie assured the cyan Pegasus. "It them!"

Just as Pinkie Pie motioned to the kitchen door, it swung in and three Pegasi clad in blue and yellow trotted in. Rainbow Dash fell to her haunches as the Wonderbolts alighted on the Counter beside her and her heart felt like it froze. Spitfire looked down at Rainbow with a smile which quickly faded when she saw the expression on the ex-flier's face. A look of total despair.

"Filly's and Gentlecolts!" Pinkie began with a theatrical flourish. "May I present," She began to falter as she caught onto the mood of her guest of honor. "The Wonder... bolts?" Her usual buoyancy slacked as Rainbow turned and bolted from the shop, the jingle of the door and her receding hoofbeats the only noise in the room.

Home. That's where she needed to go. Home, where a nice soft bed waited for her. Her cloudhouse was hovering on the edge of town casting a shadow over a small patch of trees to one of which it was tethered. Rainbow slid to a halt below her home and stared up at it for a long moment. Slowly she flared her one wing and sighed. It was no good. Not only had she lost her wing, her job and her reason for being, she lost her home too. It just wasn't fair. One freak accident and her whole life is ruined. Tears began to flow unbidden. Not tears of sorrow, but of bitter anger. It was all so good. Life was great, then she had to go and lose a wing.

What did she have left? Her friends, sure, but they can't be with her all the time. It was enough to drive her over the edge. It would have too, but Rainbow Dash was too cool for that kind fo thing. Only lame Ponies went crazy. Standing, with tears still flowing freely, Rainbow approached the tree to which her home was tethered. She was going to take her home back if it bucking killed her. Vainly at first she tried to jump for the lowest branch. There was a time when she could jump clear over Big Mac, but now, with her wing out of the picture, she could barely manage three feet.

She tried a different tack. Running at the tree, she attempted to use her momentum to run up it's side and reach the branch after a couple steps, her grip failed and gravity took over, dragging her roughly down the side of the tree. With a frustrated growl, she threw herself fully into climbing the tree and reaching her home. For ten minutes, she fought for purchase failing more and more spectacularly as she went. Only twice did she manage to take hold of that branch, and both times, that's as far as she ever made it.

She had given in and was mercilessly beating the tree, wailing her rage to the heavens as she did so when Twilight finally located her.

"Rainbow! There you are," She said, rushing to her friend's side. "We've been looking all over town for you." She trotted to a halt beside the livid Pegasus, unsure of what to do in the situation.

"Go away!" Rainbow shouted, not looking at Twilight. "Leave me alone."

"Rainbow, What's the matter?" Twilight slowly approached as Rainbow relented her assult on the tree, and just sat there.

"What's the matter?! WHAT DO YOU THINK!?" Rainbow rounded on Twilight, a look of hatred on her face. Not directed at Twilight, no, just a general malignant hate, spread equally between all things.

Twilight's gaze drifted from Rainbow's hooves, covered as they were in small cuts and abrasions, to the severely batter and beaten tree and up to the cyan Pegasus' home, drifting against it's tether in a general evening breeze. Suddenly, Rainbow was in her embrace, Twilight hugging her tightly. Rainbow's general animosity faded into a gulf of sorrow as her tears of rage became tears of woe. After a while, Twilight led her away from the offending cloud home and to her library where she tucked the Pegasus into her bed. Tired as she was, she still ventured to the linen closet and retrieved a blanket and pillow for herself and deposited them on a couch where she lay for a time, worrying about her friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow Dash awoke some time after midnight that night. It was almost pitch black in the library and she was feeling restless. Out on the balcony she took a seat in the warm air and decided to do some pony watching. Down below, the usually busy town was quiet aside from the few people still enjoying Pinkie's after party. Far be it from Pinkie Pie to let the whole party die out because of Rainbow Dash's grand exit. She felt bad for bolting like that but for all the brave faces she's been putting on, the last thing she needed was the Wonderbolts there to remind her of what was once in her grasp. All things considered, Dash felt a vague sense of pride in herself for how well she was handling the situation. Some decorum was lost with the whole tree climbing incident but it was a private shame, and that was enough consolation for Rainbow.

The evening wore on, maybe an hour further when she spied the rest of her friends leaving Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie Pie waved them all good night saying something about another party soon. Fluttershy broke away from the group and cantered off into the night towards her hut. Rarity and Applejack stood and spoke with one another. Dash couldn't help but overhear.

"Sure was a nice party," Applejack said with little conviction. "Shame about Rainbow and the Wonderbolts."

"I do hope that Twilight was able to find her before too long." Rarity said, as they trotted towards the boutique. "The last thing she needs now is to be alone with herself. Who knows what she could talk herself into."

"Aw, C'mon sugarcube," Applejack chided lightly. "Give our girl more credit than that. She's a smart Filly. Jes' needs ta figure herself out is all."

With a typical dramatic sigh, Rarity carried on. "I suppose you're right, but I worry about her." They reached the botique and Rarity opened the door. "Would you like some tea dear?" She said, standing with the door to her back.

"Nah, I gotta git," Applejack yawned. "Lots a work ta be done, and Big Mac's still outta sorts after missin that tree couple days ago."

"Very well," Rarity stepped through the door and turned to Applejack. "Just remember we're getting together for a dinner tomorrow, the six of us."

"Wouldn't miss it fer nothing."

Rainbow smiled a bit, thinking about how Rarity really did care for her. She'd have to remember to give the alabaster pony a bit hug next time they met up. The smile stuck around this time, as sleep started creeping in on her. Wanting nothing more, Dash simply let it wash over her where she lay. It was warm enough and besides, the weather was supposed to be clear the next three days. She hadn't slept outside in the warm night air since the night before the accident. It was about time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Celestia's sun rose over the horizon as morning overtook night. Rainbow awoke groggily as she heard her name being called from nearby. The door to the balcany opened and Twilight trotted through, sighing with relief when she spotted Dash pushing her way to her hooves.

"There you are," Twilight sighed, trotting over to Rainbow. "Thought you'd run off again."

"Nah," Rainbow said with a stifled yawn. "just needed to clear my head. Must have fallen asleep out here." A quikc shake of her head reordered her mane and she breathed in the fresh air. "Time for another day on the ground..."

"Come on," Twilight lead Rainbow back into the library. "You want to actually see all your friends today?"

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Oh, and sorry about bailing on the party and all that." Rainbow smiled sheepishly at Twilight who nodded. "And could we keep the whole 'Rainbow assaulting a tree' thing to ourselves? Not exactly proud of that."

"Sure thing. Now, let's go see how everypony's doing"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh! You found her!" Rarity squealed, hugging Rainbow Dash around the neck. "How are you feeling dear? Would you like me to do anything for you? Just name it."

Rainbow shook her head and smiled at Rarity, taking the opportunity to hug the mare tightly. "Thank you. You've already done more than I could ever ask of you though."

"Whatever do you mean Rainbow?" Rarity said, taken aback. "I've hardly done a thing since you were released form the hospital, and I never got to come and visit when you were awake."

Rainbow just laughed and hugged her tighter. "Just that you care is enough."

Rarity pulled away from Rainbow, with a tear in her eye and a smile on her face. "So, what is on the schedule for today?" She asked of the two. "Do you have any dinner plans?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow decided that she would take a stroll through Ponyville, maybe catch up with Ditzy who she hadn't seen at the party. Her shoulder was still quite tender and she walked with a limp. Ruefully she regretted the tree fiasco as it only served to exacerbate the injury. With noting but that discomfort to distract her, The colorful mare's mind began to wander.

At first, it was her usual fare. Wondering about the newest race statistics, who was the forerunner for the Luna cup this year. The Wonderbolts' newest recruits and when their next autograph session was to be. It soon gravitated towards that stallion, Mach Cone. She felt bad for sending him off so unceremoniously but now she was wondering what he was doing. It was odd. She only ever met him on the track, never once heard his voice aside from in passing but now he was forefront on her mind. The worst part was she had no idea how she felt about him.

Did she hate him for still being able to fly? Did she appreciate his concern? She wondered where she might be able to find him but before her thoughts could stray anyt further, a soft buzzing caught her attention. It was growing louder and she swiveled her ears attempting to pinpoint its source. Before she got a lock, a young filly's voice pierced the air.

"RAINBOW DAAAAASH!"

Rainbow turned and was cannoned into by an orange and purple ball of fur and feathers that appeared to be sobbing.

Comments ( 6 )

This story is really heartbreaking. It's well written and has a very nice pacing. I look forward to more.

I wonder what our little Rainbow will do for a job? Applebucking? Mail Mare? I can't wait to see how she adapts to ground life.

Poor Rainbow, not even able to get home and reduced from proud pegasus to earth pony.:rainbowwild:

130334

Horrible as it sounds, I actually enjoyed writing the tree scene. I guess I've had days like that so it kinda felt familiar.

O_O
oh my....
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
a.k.a great job on this story :D

130915

I'm on it, and thanks for the catch. I've got mild dyslexia so sometimes I rely a bit heavily on Spell checker. Could you point me to where this indiscretion is so i can fix it?

Never Mind. I got it. Both instances of the mix up.

Login or register to comment