• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
26: All Dreams End Eventually

Endless long corridors were all that awaited Starlight and her companions as they waded through the shadows. In the dark, she could make out a few details here and there. A portrait, whose image was stretched and unnatural, a vase of flowers that were wilted and rotting, practically dust. It reminded her of some bizarre twist on Castle Canterlot.

“Are we there yet?” Spike asked from her back. “We’ve been walking for hours.”

“We?” Thorax asked, glaring at Spike out of the corner of his eye.

“First off,” Starlight began, “we have not been walking for hours. It’s been an hour at most.” She raised her hoof. “Secondly, Thorax and I have been walking, you’ve just been sitting back there.”

“I was scared,” Spike argued. “It’s dark in here a-and I didn’t want to get lost.”

“Yeah, that’s fair.” Starlight sighed. “But if we’re being honest here, what exactly did you expect when you came along with us? What part of nightmare creatures spilling out of some evil nightmare world made you think this wouldn’t be scary?”

“I know,” Spike said, frowning. “But I can’t just abandon Twilight.”

“Both of you, focus.” The alarm in Thorax’s voice ended their argument. “We’re here.”

The trio stopped in front of a door. It stood nearly a story tall. Despite lacking a frame, the door stood upright. A six-pointed star had been emblazoned into the wood.

“Where did this come from?” Starlight asked, wide-eyed.

“No idea. This could very well be a trap,” Thorax said. “We should be careful.”

They braced themselves as Thorax took the ringed handle. He tugged hard, dragging the door open inch by inch. The hinges roared like a beast.

“Whoa,” Starlight muttered. While the rest of their surroundings still mimicked the interior of Canterlot Castle, the doorway led out into a grassy field beneath a star-filled sky.

“Are you two ready?” Thorax asked.

The rest of the group nodded. Together, the three of them stepped across the threshold. Starlight’s fur bristled at the sudden cold. Once they crossed, the door slammed shut behind them, vanishing in a violet swirl.

“What did you say about that possibly being a trap?” Starlight asked, wincing.

“We’ll worry about that later. For now, we need to find Twilight,” Spike said, hopping down off Starlight’s back.

“That’s our end goal,” Thorax said. “But we need to figure out where we are, first.”

“I know where we are,” Starlight said, her gaze stuck straight ahead. While they couldn’t see them from the gate, the field held seemingly endless rows of apple trees. “This is Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Sweet Apple Acres?” Thorax asked, stepping to Starlight’s side. “Applejack’s farm?”

“Yeah. That’s their farmhouse over there. Do you think anyone’s home?”

“Only one way to find out,” Spike shouted, taking off running.

“Easy, Spike.” Thorax’s magic lifted Spike off the ground. “We don’t know if this world is safe. There could be Nightmare monsters around here. We should move with caution.”

“He has a point, though.” Starlight pointed toward the second story. “That light just flipped on. Someone’s in there. Looked like a pony.”

“Alright.” Thorax released the dragon. “I’ll follow your lead, Starlight. But be ready for a fight. Just in case.”

“I’m always ready,” Starlight joked as she started walking. Spike waited for her, jogging alongside her as she moved through the field. They passed through a wooden gate into the farmhouse’s front yard. Each step kicked up a small cloud of dust.

“You two wait here,” Starlight ordered. She left her two companions behind and knocked on the front door. Three solid hits were followed immediately by the incessant barking of a dog. Starlight only a moment to make herself presentable as the door lock clicked.

“Hello?” A small, yellow filly opened the door just a crack. Her pink hair held a large bow, only a slightly different shade than her mane.

“Apple Bloom?” Starlight asked. This filly did share a striking resemblance to the youngest of the Apple clan, but she didn’t seem to recognize one of her sister’s best friends.

“I ain’t Apple Bloom,” the filly confirmed. “My name is Rose Apple.”

“Oh.” Starlight crouched down to the child’s height. “Well, Rose, my friends and I are a bit lost.” She motioned over her shoulder to the dragon and changeling. “We could use a little help.”

“I’m not supposed to talk to strangers,” the filly said, trying to hide behind the door.

“We’re not strangers, Sweetie.” Starlight tried to make her voice as innocent as possible. “We’re friends of the Apple Family. My name is Starlight. And my friends are Spike and Thorax.” The filly didn’t react. Starlight stifled a sigh. “Is there an adult home that we might be able to talk to?”

“Mom!”

Starlight stumbled, caught off guard by the volume.

“What are you yelling about, Rose? Your aunt and uncle are asleep upstairs.” Another pony appeared in the gap. She shared the same color scheme as her daughter. This time, Starlight recognized her.

“Sorry, Mom. There are these weird ponies here askin’ for help.”

The door opened wider, bringing the mare’s full body into view. Starlight wasn’t sure if she should be relieved when she spied the shield on the fully-grown mare’s flank.

“Sorry about Rose, she’s ain’t quite used to--” The mare paused. “Miss Starlight?”

“Apple Bloom?” Starlight tried again.

“The one and only. What happened to you? You look . . . younger.” Apple Bloom stepped onto her front porch. She tried to close the door behind her, but the young filly slipped through before she could.

The two mares stared at one another for several seconds. If Starlight were to guess, she would say that Apple Bloom looked older than her. In the middle of her examination, she noticed the two standing in the yard.

“Spike?” Apple Bloom stepped to the side for a better look. “And . . .”

“Thorax,” the changeling said.

“Thorax? As in, King Thorax?”

The changeling king scratched his head, chuckling nervously.

“I’m glad to see you still remember us, Apple Bloom,” Starlight said.

“Remember you?” Apple Bloom tilted her head to the side. “Miss Starlight, you were here last week. Why wouldn’t we remember you? Of course, looking like that, I almost didn’t recognize you. Another one of your spells?”

Starlight and Thorax shared a look. “Yeah. One of my spells had some . . . unintended consequences. That’s actually kind of why we’re here. It transported us to your orchard by accident. I’m not entirely sure why.”

“Oh,” Apple Bloom shrugged. “Do you need some help?”

Starlight shook her head. “No, thank you. I’m hoping that the princess can help us fix it. But we could use some information. Do you know if she’s still in Ponyville?”

“She was this morning. I’d guess she’s still there. It’s pretty late, though. It might be dangerous on the path, what with it being so close to the Everfree. You want a ride into town?”

That’s very kind of you to offer.” Starlight smiled and waved a hoof. “But I’m sure you don’t have time for a cart ride into Ponyville. We’ll be alright walking.”

“A cart ride?” Apple Bloom broke out into a wicked smile. “I know we’re old-fashioned, Starlight, but we’re not that old-fashioned. Let me grab my keys real quick.”

“Ooh!” Rose bounced in place. “Can I go with you, Mom?”

“You’re supposed to be getting to bed, Young Lady.”

“But, Mom!” The filly started to pout. “I never get to ride in the car. Please?”

“Never get to– you get to ride in the car all the time.” Apple Bloom sighed, but looked to Starlight. “I guess it’s alright, so long as it’s alright with Miss Starlight.”

“I don’t see why not,” Starlight said, smiling confidently.

“Alright. You three wait here. Come on, Rose, help me find my keys.” The two Apples disappeared back into their house.

Starlight returned to her friends. “I don’t know what just happened.”

“Well, we’ve got a ride into town, now, at least,” Spike noted.

“That’s what you got out of that?” Starlight gave the dragon a sideways look. “Did you notice that Apple Bloom is an adult? And has a kid? That’s not weird to you at all?”

“That is troubling.” Thorax pulled at his chin. “It would seem that Twilight’s dream has taken her forward in time. It must have been a decade, at least. Which means that things might be a lot different than we remember.”

“We just have to find Twilight. I’m sure everything will make sense, then.” Spike spoke with a confidence that Starlight wished she had.

“Let’s just hope that Twilight hasn’t changed that much in all that time.” Starlight paused. “Actually, that makes me think. That seemed a lot like Apple Bloom. Future Apple Bloom, maybe, but still Apple Bloom.”

“What’s the problem?” Thorax asked warily.

“If the dream is convincing enough, Twilight might not know she’s dreaming. There’s a good chance we might have to convince her of that. Any ideas?”

Her two companions stayed silent. Even Starlight struggled for possibilities. Their brainstorming was interrupted by the sound of grinding metal. The trio looked toward the barn off the side of the house. Light poured out of the opening.

“What is that?” Spike asked, holding his ears.

“It sounds like . . . an engine?” Starlight suggested.

Starlight’s theory was confirmed when a conglomeration of heavy metal rolled out through the barn doors. The contraption resembled a derby cart, but larger and more bulky. Apple Bloom sat inside, her hooves tight around a wheel. Two bright lights beamed from the front of the vehicle.

“What is that?” Thorax asked, his eyes wide.

“It’s a car,” Spike said. “I’ve seen them before. They’re kind of like small, personal trains.”

“Is it safe?” Starlight asked.

“For the most part. Just don’t stand in front of them while they’re driving.”

Apple Bloom pressed a button, lowering the window. “What are you all waiting for? Hop in. I’ll have you in Ponyville in no time.” She knocked a hoof against the metal siding. “Miss Starlight, you can take the passenger seat.”

Spike pulled open one of the back doors and climbed inside. Thorax settled in at his side. Rose Apple sat beside them both, strapped into a strange second seat. It took a moment for Starlight to unravel her seatbelt and figure out how to connect it.

“Everyone buckled it?” Apple Bloom looked around for answers. “Alright, then.”

The engine revved, rolling the car forward slowly.

“So, when did you guys get this thing?” Starlight asked, watching the landscape whorl by out her window.

“Really, Starlight?” Apple Bloom spared a glance in her direction. “I know she ain’t pretty, but she’s durable. We’ve had her for six years now. One of the first generation. Make fun of her all you want but she’s served us well.”

“Sorry,” Starlight reddened. “I didn’t mean to insult your car.”

“I’m just messing with you, Miss Starlight.” Apple Bloom chuckled. “So, are you three heading to the princess’ castle? I can take you straight there.”

“Oh, that won’t be necessary. Just to the edge of town will be fine,” Starlight said.

“You sure? It’s no problem.”

“Yeah. We’ve made enough trouble for you tonight.”

“It’s no trouble. It’s actually pretty good for putting little Rose to sleep. She loves car rides. ‘Fore I know it, she’ll be driving herself around. Time just seems to fly, doesn't it?” Apple Bloom shrugged. “Well, I guess not for you, with that spell you’re working on.”

“It’s still got a long way to go,” Starlight lied.

The world blew past them. Bumps in the dirt road shook the car, causing Starlight to brace herself, but Apple Bloom merely chuckled at the reaction. It took only a few minutes before Apple Bloom finally slowed. She pulled a lever at her side when they finally stopped.

“Alright.” She gestured out the front window. “Ponyville awaits you.”

“Thanks, Apple Bloom,” Starlight said as she climbed out of her seat.

“Don’t mention it.” The trio gathered where the dirt path ended in a sea of cobblestone. “Now you three be safe, alright?” They nodded. With a satisfied huff, Apple Bloom moved the lever again, turning the car and driving back down the road. They watched the red lights on her car as they disappeared over a hill.

“Alright. Cars. In Ponyville. That’s new,” Starlight muttered.

“Yeah. And that’s not all that’s changed.” Thorax pointed toward the town.

Starlight understood instantly. While many quaint cottages still lined the streets of Ponyville, they were dwarfed by an occasional tower. These concrete behemoths looked more at home in Manehattan than their little town.

“At least we still know where to find Twilight,” Spike said, pointing to the crystal spires rising over the wall of houses. “All these towers and her castle still sticks out.”

“Then we have a destination,” Starlight said. “Let’s get walking.”

Honestly, Starlight didn’t feel too different walking the streets of this future Ponyville. Sure, plenty of the buildings had changed, but she still felt the nostalgia from her first visit. Ponies still waved to them as they walked. Occasional market stalls crossed their path, same as they did in the real world. They even spied the occasional pony-pulled cart.

“Principal Starlight?”

A voice snapped Starlight from her thoughts. She spun around to face it. Her chest tightened as she noticed the speaker. A dark blue mare with a violet mane. A horn protruded proudly from her forehead.

“Principal Starlight? What are you doing here? And why do you look so . . .”

“Young?” Spike suggested.

“Yeah, she looks so . . .” The newcomer stumbled over her words. “Spike? What happened to you? You’re so cute.” The mare dashed forward, picking the dragon off the sidewalk and holding him up over her head.

Starlight looked at Thorax. Given his pale face, she guessed he noticed the issue as well. This pony speaking to them had a full set of wings tucked against her side.

“Please put me down,” Spike begged.

“Sorry. I’ve just never seen you so tiny.” She complied with his wishes. Her eyes widened in horror. “You are Spike, right? And not just some random dragon I assaulted on the sidewalk?”

“That depends.” Spike brushed himself off. “Are you done spinning me around?” She nodded. “Then yes. I’m Spike.”

“But why are you so small, Spike? And you, Starlight? And . . . Thorax?

“Look, I know we look strange. It’s a long story,” Starlight drew out her words, making them as boring as she could. “Right now, we’re just trying to get to the princess. She can help us.”

“Can this princess help you?” The mare asked, leaning forward expectantly.

“I think I’d prefer help from Princess Twilight.”

The mare frowned. “Fine. Can I at least walk with you to the castle? I have some questions to ask about last week’s class.”

Starlight paled. “Uhh . . . sure. I guess that’s fine.” Thorax shot her a dirty look, but she ignored him. “But I don’t promise that I’ll answer. You’re not learning if I just give you the answer.”

“Obviously.” The alicorn rolled her eyes. “Where’s the fun in that?”

Starlight had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. But she ignored that as well.

“Well, what are we waiting for? After you?” The mare gestured them forward.

As they started walking, Thorax leaned in close, whispering in Starlight’s ear. “Do you know this mare?”

“I have no idea who she is. Apparently, there’s another alicorn in Equestria, though.” Though she appeared to be a young mare, the alicorn still acted a bit like a filly.

“So, what are we going to do?” Thorax asked.

“What are we whispering about?”

Starlight and Thorax jumped as the alicorn appeared beside them.

“Private matters. No eavesdropping,” Starlight commanded. To her surprise, the stranger backed off at her command. She returned to her conversation with Thorax. “I don’t know, but I kind of like ordering an alicorn around. It’s cathartic.”

“Focus, Starlight. Remember why we’re here.”

“I know.”

The two of them separated.

“Alright, Principal, can I ask you some questions now?” The alicorn asked.

Starlight groaned inwardly. “If you really need to.”

“Cool. I was working on some magical theory the other day. Do you remember that piece you wrote a few years ago on the origins of magic in Equestria? I was trying to figure out how you reached your conclusions. I’ve tried going over the piece a hundred times, but I haven’t been able to piece things together.”

“It . . .” Starlight swallowed hard. “It’s been a long time since I’ve worked on that. I don’t know if I remember the answer.”

“Oh, come on, Starlight, don’t hold out on me like that!” The strange mare pouted. If she weren’t completely focused on lying her way through this, Starlight might have found it cute. “Fine. Then can I at least ask about that conference in Canterlot the other week? I heard professors from all around Equestria were there.”

“Look, I’m really not in the mood for twenty questions tonight. Could we do this another time?” Starlight asked.

“Sure. I get that.” The mare bounced her head up and down as she walked. They made it about a block before she started again. “Can you at least tell me why you’re still here in Ponyville?”

“Where should I be?” Starlight asked as they crossed through the marketplace. The castle gate sat at the other end of the courtyard, but felt much further.

“You told us all that you were really excited to go on that magical tour with Trixie. She must be really upset that you couldn’t go.”

“Trixie?” Starlight paled. “I mean, Trixie is a good friend, but I don’t know if she’ll miss me that much,” Starlight scoffed.

“A friend?” The strange mare looked shocked. “Don’t let her hear you call her that. Even I know better than that.”

Starlight reddened. There was no way Twilight knew about that.

“Starlight?” Thorax raised an eyebrow. “You alright? You’re turning red.”

“When we get out of here, I’m going to kill Twilight,” Starlight muttered, her eye twitching.

Their guest laughed. “So, how did you manage to get out of that?”

“You’re the one who said that I look weird. I can’t very well go traipsing around Equestria like this.” Starlight waved her hoof wildly. “So, I came back to see if I could get help to fix it. Trixie told me not to worry about it, and to catch up if I figure it out.”

Starlight watched the alicorn chew the inside of her lip. She prayed that her story would be enough to satisfy the mare’s curiosity. She wasn’t sure how many more details she could fit without contradicting herself.

“I guess that makes sense,” the mare said. Starlight sighed mentally. “Although, you might be in trouble for playing with time again.”

“I didn’t manipulate time.” Starlight narrowed her eyes. “And how do you know about that?”

The mare bounced along, looking rather smug with herself. “My mom told me the story. She told me all about the messes you made when you were younger. The town. Her cutie mark. And yes, even the time thing. You used to get into a lot of trouble back in the day, didn’t you?”

Starlight felt sick. This mare knew far too much to deny a serious connection. She already had a theory about who this mare beside her was, and the growing sense of dread only seemed to make the answer clearer.

“I’m not judging you, of course.” The mare threw up her hooves in surrender. “I love getting into trouble. My mom thinks I learned it from you.” She beamed proudly.

“I’ll be sure to take that up with her when I see her,” Starlight said.

Their group arrived at the castle gates. The unknown mare went first, opening the passage with her magic. A pair of guards stood alongside the actual castle door. Starlight didn’t recognize their violet armor, but guessed they belonged to Twilight. Though they eyed the party as they passed, a glare from the alicorn kept them from speaking up.

“Everyone’s hopefully asleep by now,” the mare said.

“Why aren’t you?” Starlight asked, following the alicorn up and into the main hall.

“Couldn’t sleep. Flying is peaceful.”

“Your parents won’t be upset with you for that?” Starlight grinned, hoping she was wrong. She could see both Spike and Thorax staring at her in confusion.

“My parents are asleep. I’m sure they won’t know—”

An angry throat clearing interrupted her. To Starlight’s simultaneous fear and relief, she recognized that disapproving sound. An alicorn swept down from a balcony on the second story, her purple wings nearly as wide as the hallway itself.

“Evenfall Allure, do you know what time it is?” Twilight barked.

The alicorn that had accompanied them through half of Ponyville –Evenfall, apparently– blanched. She turned slowly, keeping her head down as she faced the Princess of Friendship. “Time for bed?” she suggested hesitantly.

“Good guess,” Twilight growled. “You had your mother and I worried sick about you. Do we need to start putting a guard detail on you?” And with a single word, Twilight slammed a wrench into Starlight’s theory.

“Your mother and I?” she whispered, quietly enough that neither alicorn could hear. Spike and Thorax shared her confused look, but didn’t dare speak.

“Sorry, Mom.” A sad pout accompanied her apology.

“I know you are, Evenfall. But you owe your mother an apology, too. She’s upstairs waiting for you. Would you mind going to talk to her? I’d like to speak with our guests.” Twilight glanced up at the trio waiting patiently for their turn.

“Fine.” With a flap of her wings, Evenfall lifted off the ground, flying up to the balcony her mother had appeared from.

Twilight sighed. Starlight couldn’t help but stare at her old friend. The little pony she used to know was gone, replaced by a tired looking princess whose stature rivaled Celestia. Also like the other princesses, Twilight’s mane billowed silently, looking like the starry night outside. A single pink stripe parted it down the center, like a comet streaking through the sky.

“And now on to you three,” Twilight said. She stomped her hoof and signaled her guards with a circular wave. Panic gripped Starlight when she heard the clanging of armor. Then she realized the guards were emptying out of the hall, leaving the three of them alone with Twilight.

“Twilight?” Starlight asked, bracing herself.

“Yes, Starlight?” Twilight said, her tired features curling into a smile.

“Is that really you? You look so . . .”

“Old?” Twilight suggested.

“I was going to say mature,” Starlight argued.

“Right.” Twilight rolled her eyes. “Come with me. We can talk in my room.”

Taking a cautious glance around, Starlight nodded. Thorax and Spike joined her in following Twilight. The princess took them up a flight of stairs, and through a set of heavy oak doors.

The room she led them to looked quite similar to Twilight’s old bedroom. Her bed had been upgraded to a double-bed. Her writing desk was still tucked away in the corner. A fireplace and private bathroom. Every commodity a princess needed.

“I was wondering if you might show up. Do you have a message for me?”

Starlight paled. “Message?”

“I told Celestia to pass on a message to you when you left Canterlot last week. What did she tell you to say to me?” Despite Twilight’s kind features, the look in her eye scared Starlight.

“I . . . She didn’t give me a message. I guess she forgot.”

“I see.” Apparently, that had been the wrong answer. Twilight turned her back to the trio, looking out the window. Raindrops were starting to drip down the glass. “Then you’re not Starlight.”

Starlight stepped back. Spike and Thorax stepped up beside her. “Twilight, wait--”

Twilight stomped a hoof loud enough to make them flinch. “At the very least, you’re not my Starlight, are you? My Starlight hasn’t been to Canterlot in months.”

“I . . .” Lying wouldn’t get her anywhere with Twilight. She knew that from experience. “I’m am your Starlight. Your real Starlight. And these are your real Spike and Thorax, too.” She felt a weight lift from her shoulders as Twilight’s posture relaxed.

“Twilight, we came to rescue you,” Spike said. His legs trembled.

The alicorn's smile faded. "I was wondering when you'd show up.”

“Twilight?” Starlight approached cautiously. “I know it sounds crazy, but all of this is--”

“This is some sort of alternate dimension, right? Something along those lines?”

Twilight’s candidness blew Starlight backwards. “You . . . you know?”

“Not until you reacted like that. But I’ve suspected it for a long time now.”

Starlight massaged the back of her neck, hoping to keep it from being injured due to the sheer whiplash she felt. “How?”

“The cracks in reality are easy to notice.”

“The . . . cracks?” Starlight raised her brow.

“Small things. Items appearing in places that they shouldn’t, figures in the corner of your eye, memories that should be impossible. Cracks.”

“If you knew, then why didn’t you try to leave?”

“I think I tried, but I never found a way out. This place plays tricks on your mind. If you look too close, you can’t see the cracks. It’s like trying to decipher the image on a puzzle based solely on the missing pieces.”

“Oh.” As relieved as Starlight felt not having to convince Twilight of the truth, the look on her face made her heart break. That feeling only grew when Thorax called for her.

“Starlight,” he said. “Take a look at this.”

“What is it?” Spike asked. He tried to climb on Thorax’s back for a better look, but the changeling wouldn’t let him.

“Oh, Twilight . . .” Starlight followed Thorax’s gaze to the mantle over the fireplace. A series of pictures were set out in fancy golden frames. Even at first glance, the images were causing her to choke up.

The first showed Twilight and Chrysalis. Twilight wore a beautiful white gown, while Chrysalis wore a fine black suit. They were standing at an altar, kissing, as flower petals filled the air, frozen in time.

“I spent everyday, battling against my own instincts,” Twilight continued. “I told myself over and over again that I was just going crazy. I was being paranoid. Then I remembered the Nightmare.”

Outside, the rain grew heavier, streaking down the windows in long, winding paths. The second picture showed Twilight and Chrysalis sitting side-by-side in what must have been a hospital suite. Twilight nursed a swollen belly while Chrysalis rubbed her shoulders. They looked happy together.

“When I slept, I saw the gaps in reality. I saw Shining and his troops, fighting these horrifying monsters. I saw ponies getting hurt. I tried to forget, but I saw them everytime I closed my eyes.”

The final picture. Starlight wasn’t sure she wanted to see it. It showed Twilight and Chrysalis again. This time, they were down in the Great Hall. Twilight sat on her throne. Chrysalis lay at her side. A dark blue alicorn foal sat nestled between them.

“Twilight? How long have you been here?” Starlight asked.

Spike clambered up her leg for a better view of the pictures.

“I’m not sure when the dream started. But by my best guess . . .” Thunder cracked outside. Despite knowing she was wrong, Starlight convinced herself there must have been a leak in the window, leading to the pool of water gathering at Twilight’s hooves. “At least twenty years.”

The answer hit like a sucker punch.

“I’m so sorry, Twilight,” Starlight hurried to her friend’s side, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “I’m sorry that we have to wake you. But Equestria needs your help. Shining Armor, Doctor Heart, our friends . . . even Chrysalis. We need your help to save them.”

“I know.”

“But that doesn’t make it any easier, does it?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. No, it doesn’t. Before we go, can I ask you a favor?”

Starlight looked back at Thorax. He was trying to comfort a sobbing Spike. “Of course, Twilight.”

“I understand none of this is real . . . But would you at least let me say goodbye.”

Starlight squeezed her eyes shut. “Of course, Twilight. Take your time.”

As though on cue, the bedroom door opened. Evenfall bounded inside, followed closely by Chrysalis. Despite the time gap, the changeling queen hadn’t appeared to age a day.

“Starlight? Thorax?” Chrysalis looked back and forth between them and Twilight. The princess was shaking, struggling to keep herself from breaking down. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“Chrysalis, Dear. I have something to tell you. And you as well, my little Evenfall.” A look of dread crossed Chrysalis’ face as she rushed to embrace Twilight. Evenfall trotted up to her open flank, seemingly unaware of her mother’s impending breakdown.

“Is something wrong, Mom?” she asked.

“Yes, Sweetie. I’m afraid so.” Twilight’s breathing grew heavy. Starlight could see her shoulders heaving as she struggled to breathe while fighting off tears. “I’m afraid I have to leave for a while.”

“Where are you going?” Evenfall asked, her chipper energy dissipating.

“Twilight, what’s this about?” Chrysalis asked, nuzzling at Twilight’s neck. As she stared at their guests, realization widened her eyes. “Don’t tell me this is about those dreams you used to have.”

“I’m afraid it is.”

“You told me you were over that. That you didn’t have them anymore.”

“I lied.”

Twilight couldn’t hold back any longer. She took a shuddering breath. Her legs buckled, forcing her to kneel. Starlight joined Spike and Thorax, ushering for them not to stare.

“What are you planning to do?” Chrysalis asked, her own tears starting down her cheeks.

“I have to leave. I have to go home.”

“Mommy, what are you talking about?” Evenfall sounded worried now. She wrapped herself around her mother’s leg.

“Listen to me, Evenfall. There is something very important I have to tell you.”

The young alicorn was tearing up now, too. “No. What are you doing, Mommy?”

“Please. Just listen to me.” Twilight smiled through her tears. “I love you, Sweetie. You know that, don’t you? I love you more than anything in the world.”

“Mommy, don’t go.”

“The day you were born was the happiest day of my life. And I’m so happy . . . that I could spend all this time with you . . .” Twilight gasped. “Just know that . . . no matter what happens . . . I’ve always loved you. And I will always love you . . . Can you remember that for Mommy?”

“I . . . I don’t want . . .” Evenfall buried her face into her mother’s fur, soaking it. “Alright, Mommy. I’ll remember.”

“And Chrysalis?”

“Twilight, whatever you’re planning, don’t do it. This is crazy," the changeling pleaded, her own tears welling up.

“I know it is. But I don’t have a choice.”

“Yes you do,” Chrysalis said, forcing Twilight to meet her gaze. “You can stay here with me. You can stay here with the family we’ve created. I love you, Twilight. I don’t want you to leave.”

“I know. I love you, too” Twilight drew a shallow, shuddery breath. “But that’s why I have to go. I need to find you, the real you."

"I am the real me," Chrysalis promised. "Twilight, you're talking nonsense."

"Promise me that you’ll take care of Evenfall, alright?”

“Twilight, please.”

“Promise me, Chrysalis,” Twilight repeated more forcefully.

“Fine.” Chrysalis joined her daughter in gripping on to Twilight with all her might. “Fine. I understand. I promised forever, Twilight. And if this is really what you want . . .” Chrysalis hung her head. “Then I won’t stop you.”

“Thank you. I love you both so much. I’ll never forget the happiness you’ve brought me.” She squeezed her two loves with as much force as she could muster. “But I have to say goodbye, now, okay?”

Chrysalis said nothing.

Evenfall rubbed her face against her mother’s cheek. “Alright, Mommy. I’ll be right here, waiting for you to come back, okay? Promise me that you’ll come back. Mommy?”

“I promise, Sweetie. Now close your eyes.”

Evenfall did as she was told. Twilight did likewise. She drew in a deep breath and leaned her head back. Thorax took Starlight’s shoulder, shocking her out of her trance. The room around them started to fade. They vanished like dust in the wind. The stone walls, the windows, the world outside. The bed turned to ash. The photos fell as the mantlepiece sunk into the void. Then they followed suit.

Starlight held Spike on her back as the floor fell out beneath them, but nothing happened. Instead, they realized they were standing on the Canterlot Castle floor, just as when they had first entered the dark mist. She could still see Twilight, clinging on to her wife and daughter.

Chrysalis was the first to go. She pressed her lips to Twilight’s cheek and wiped away her tears before fading away. With her gone, Twilight wrapped herself around Evenfall. She tried to console the sobbing child.

“I love you, Evenfall. Please remember that.”

“I will, Mommy. I pro--”

Before she could finish, Evenfall vanished, falling away in a cloud of dust, leaving Twilight alone, sobbing quietly as she clung to the shattered remains of what once was.

Author's Note:

Oops. This is the chapter I meant to end on this week. I missed one.

PreviousChapters Next