• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
58: Her Tallest Tower

“Twilight? Are you in there?”

Stirred by Cadance’s question, Chrysalis glanced toward the bedroom door, then down at Twilight, curled up beside her, snoring peacefully. The curtains were still drawn, but sunshine leaked through beneath them. The embers in the fireplace were smothered and cold. How long had they been lying here?

“Twilight, please answer me if you’re in there.” Cadance sighed. “Please. I need you.”

Something in the princess’ pitiful pleas stirred Chrysalis. As gently as she could, she slipped away from Twilight, leaving her cradling a pillow instead. Chrysalis closed her eyes and steeled herself. She could hear Cadance’s footsteps growing quieter. Her hoof hesitated above the doorknob.

“Where are you? Twilight?” Cadance mewled.

Chrysalis cursed silently and pulled the door open. Cadance was halfway down the hallway, her back turned. Chrysalis’ magic flared, stopping the princess in her tracks with a sturdy tug on her mane.

“Ow! What?”

“Would you be quiet? Twilight’s sleeping in here,” Chrysalis’ whispered beratement trailed off momentarily. “By the Queens above, Cadance, what happened to you?” The princess’ mane was messy and her tiara lopsided. Her eyes were rimmed in red.

“Oh. Sorry.” Cadance wiped her cheeks. “Would you mind telling her I stopped by. I’d like to speak with her as soon as possible.” She tried to smile, but wasn’t fooling anypony. Yet, somehow, it forced Chrysalis to respond. And unfortunately for the changeling, her mouth moved faster than her tired brain.

“Hold it, Candy.” The princess froze, her eyes wide. It was too late to back down now. Chrysalis depressed the handle and closed the door, leaving her out in the hallway with Cadance. “Why are you crying?”

“I wasn’t–”

“I’m being incredibly gracious and trying to be nice, so I would appreciate it if you didn’t lie directly to my face. Or at the very least, don’t be that obvious about it. Now, try again.”

Cadance started to speak, but stumbled over her words a few times.

“It’s got nothing to do with you,” Cadance said. Chrysalis’ sneer forced her to continue. “I mean, it’s not something specifically to do with you.” She shook her head. “It’s Shiny. He’s . . . he’s quite upset. He went on a whole tirade about losing his sister. I thought . . . I thought something horrible had happened. And then he started yelling . . . y-yelling at me.”

Cadance kept spilling her guts, but Chrysalis had already stopped listening. She had heard enough to figure out what was going on. Rather, her focus was squarely on just how unfair this situation was.

She hated Cadance.

And now here she was, playing the quiet shoulder for her to cry on. Countless insults brewed on the changeling’s tongue, some of her best material, but she kept her teeth clenched hard. She tried to focus on why she had opened the door in the first place. For Twilight’s sake.

“That’s enough.” Chrysalis raised a hoof. “Your husband is upset that Twilight lashed out at him earlier. He was on a roll insulting me. And sort of ended up insulting Twilight. And I guess the pressure finally got to her.”

Cadance scoffed, almost laughing. “You make it sound so simple.”

“It is simple. Like your husband.”

“Look, Chrysalis, I know he doesn’t like you. I know you don’t like him. I know you don’t like either of us. But can I ask you for a favor?”

“Absolutely not.”

“Can you try to talk to him?”

“No.”

“I think that if the two of you just sat down–”

Chrysalis stomped her hoof. “I said no. I’ve tried to talk to that idiot. I’ve tried to explain it to him several times. He doesn’t care one lick about what I have to say. Or Twilight, for that matter. If you want something to change, you’re going to have to give him this little speech.”

“What little speech?” A still half-asleep Twilight asked, peeking her head out from the bedroom with a raised eyebrow. Both Cadance and Chrysalis jumped at her sudden appearance.

“Nothing you need to worry about,” Cadance said, as innocently as possible.

“Right.” Twilight turned toward Chrysalis. “What are you two talking about?”

“Your brother.”

“Oh.” Twilight sniffled and blinked a few times as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. “What about him?”

“Cadance thinks I can talk to him,” Chrysalis said.

“Hey,” Cadance started. “I simply said that the two of them should sit down-”

“Shining won’t listen to either of us,” Twilight said.

“That’s what I told her,” Chrysalis agreed.

“Then what are we supposed to do about it?” Cadance asked.

“Go get breakfast?” Twilight suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

“How does that help?”

“Can’t think on an empty stomach.”

“Fine.” Cadance sighed. “I can have someone from the kitchen bring you something.”

“Not this time.” Twilight strutted past Cadance, motioning for Chrysalis to follow. “I’m going downstairs to eat a stack of pancakes taller than I am. Chrysalis?”

“Not really interested in the pancakes, but I’m up for it.” The changeling’s prosthetic leg took a few test taps against the tile before she put her full weight on it. “Leg’s doing better. I don’t mind a walk.”

“Alright. Let’s go, then.”

“Hold up.” Cadance galloped after them, pulling up beside Twilight. “I thought Luna wanted you two to stay up here? She won’t be angry for disobeying her?”

“Yeah, we tried that. Wasn’t a fan,” Chrysalis scoffed.

“I mean . . . I guess it’s your decision to make.” Cadance’s pace slowed, allowing her to fall back with Chrysalis. “I’ve never seen Twilight disobey a direct order from a princess.” She shot a sideways glance toward the changeling. “Do you have something to do with this?”

Chrysalis rolled her eye? “You’re starting to sound like your husband.”

Cadance frowned. “Just because I don’t think you’re brainwashing Twilight doesn’t mean I believe you’re a good influence on her.” She sighed. “Watch over her, will you? Make sure nothing happens.” Cadance slowed to a stop. “And please just think about what I said. Even if it’s just for Twilight’s sake.”

Chrysalis strolled onward, seemingly oblivious to her pleas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, what’s gotten into you?” Chrysalis asked, following Twilight into the Royal Dining room. Twilight threw herself down in the seat nearest the head of the table with a tired groan. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you stand up to another princess like that.”

Twilight winced. “Think I was too harsh?”

“I was rather impressed with how you handled it.” Chrysalis slid into the seat beside Twilight. “Of course, I’ve been told that I’m a little rough myself, so take that as you will.”

A servant appeared from the kitchen, her mane styled up, revealing a pencil tucked behind her ear. She kept her eyes closed, humming as she approached. Twilight cleared her throat, causing the mare to jump.

“Oh, Princess Twilight? My apologies, I didn’t know you were coming down for breakfast.”

“It was sort of a last minute thing,” Twilight said, flashing a nervous smile.

“No problem, Princess. Would you like to place an order?”

Twilight took a deep breath and sat up. “I would. If it’s not too much trouble, I would like a stack of pancakes. Maybe just three or four high.”

The waitress scribbled down the order. “Whipped cream and fruit?”

“Yes, please.”

She scratched down another note on her pad.

“And for you Miss . . . C-Chrysalis?” She tried to keep her voice cheery as she asked, but Chrysalis could hear it shaking.

“Nothing for me, thank you.” Chrysalis didn’t bother trying to meet the waitress’ eyes. The poor thing was already quaking in her boots.

“Of course. I’ll have your orders out as soon as possible.”

With a bow, she returned to the kitchen.

As soon as the waitress was gone, Twilight hung her head. “They’re still scared of you.”

“Were you expecting otherwise?” Chrysalis asked, arching her eyebrow.

“I mean . . .” Twilight shrugged. “I had hoped somepony would be able to look you in the eye by now. Especially for something as simple as taking your breakfast order.”

“In case you’ve somehow managed to forget, I have been a villain in their eyes for years now.” Chrysalis leaned back in her chair, resting her tired hooves on the table. “She’s probably just praying I don’t end up eating her for breakfast.”

“That’s my point,” Twilight growled. “They don’t even know why they’re scared of you.”

Their conversation lapsed momentarily. In the silence, Chrysalis could hear the voices of countless guards outside, laughing and chatting over their morning meals. She could only describe them as cheerful. Of course, that didn’t match the wilting dread she could taste on her tongue. With a narrowed eye, she sat up.

“Why does it bother you that they’re afraid of me?”

“Are you saying it doesn’t bother you?” Twilight cried.

Chrysalis chuckled. “Why should it bother me?”

“Don’t you want to be happy? To have a new life? How do you plan to do that when nopony will accept you?”

Chrysalis leaned forward. “You accept me, don’t you?”

“O-of course I do,” Twilight stuttered. “But I still think that–”

“Then that’s more than enough for me,” Chrysalis decided, reclining.

“Do you really think that? Or are you just saying that because you don’t believe it’ll ever change?” Twilight asked.

“Should you not be enough for me?”

“I just want you to be happy.” Twilight rested her chin on the table. “Whatever that means to you.”

Chrysalis chewed her tongue as she stared at Twilight. “Honestly? I would say that I am rather happy with you.”

“Excuse me?” Twilight choked. “You almost died the other night! And ended up spending the night in jail because you were blamed for it. How are you happy like that? How could anyone be happy like–”

“Because you were with me. Through it all.” Twilight nearly jumped as Chrysalis reached over and took the princess’ hoof in her own. Twilight’s reaction made the changeling smile. “And that’s more than I expected to find here.”

“You’re just saying that,” Twilight argued through a blush.

Chrysalis pouted. “Quit blushing like a schoolfilly, I’m trying to be serious with my feelings here.” Twilight muttered an apology and sobered up, giving her full attention to Chrysalis as she spoke. “Look, I’m not sure how to say this, Twilight. I’ve been alone for so long that I never expected to find somepony that would care about me. Especially not after I lost everything.”

“Your changelings cared about you.”

“As a queen, not as a mare.”

“What about Thorax?”

“He cares because he thinks he owes me. He’s . . . genetically predisposed to care for me. Same as all changeling drones.” Chrysalis turned away. “But you? You owe me nothing. You chose to love me. To you, I’m a mare that needs somepony to keep her warm at night.” As she spoke, she could feel her cheeks growing warm. “It’s been so long since somepony looked at me like that. I’d nearly forgotten what I was myself.”

“Chrysalis . . .” Twilight cooed.

Clearing her throat, Chrysalis continued. “Listen to me, Twilight. You make me happy. And it doesn’t matter what I have to suffer through, I’m glad to be with you. I just . . . after everything that’s happened, I thought you deserved to know that.”

“Now who’s the one blushing like a schoolfilly?” Twilight asked, squeezing Chrysalis’ hoof.

“Don’t get used to it,” Chrysalis said with a laugh. “I’m not known for speaking my mind on such matters. You’d do well to remember that.”

Twilight nodded. “I will.”

“Princess?” Both Chrysalis and Twilight turned to see the waitress standing in the kitchen doorway. “I mean . . .” Her eyes were wide. “Y-Your breakfast is . . .” The silver platter in her grasp rattled.

“Apologies,” Twilight said as Chrysalis released her hoof. “We didn’t hear you enter.”

“I-I didn’t . . . didn’t mean to e-evesdrop,” the mare said, her hooves rooted in place with terror. “I’m so sorry–”

“There’s nothing to apologize for,” Twilight said.

At her princess’ urging, the waitress gathered herself and stepped forward, sliding the platter in front of Twilight. She pulled the lid away, revealing a plate of pancakes. Beside it sat a small bowl filled with mixed fruits, another with cream, and a third with syrup.

“This looks amazing,” Twilight said, almost drooling.

“I-Is there anything else you need?” The waitress asked, wearing a smile far too wide to be genuine.

“No, thank you.”

“Of course, Princess.” The waitress bowed and turned away. She made it all the way back to the kitchen door before she stopped. “Umm . . . M-Miss Chrysalis?”

“Hmm?” Chrysalis hummed.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you in any way.”

Chrysalis shifted in her seat. “Don’t flatter yourself. It takes far more than a scared mare to offend me.” Her response earned her a sharp elbow and glare from Twilight.

“Of course, Miss Chrysalis–”

“But I suppose that I am appreciative of your concern,” Chrysalis added, biting her lip to keep the snark at bay. “So . . . thank you, I guess. You can go now.” She shooed her away.

“Of course, Miss Chrysalis.”

The mare disappeared through the door.

“I suppose that’s one way to handle that,” Twilight said, drizzling syrup over her plate.

“I panicked. I’m not used to having to be . . . apologetic,” Chrysalis sneered.

“Well, I’m proud of you for trying, at least,” Twilight said. “Who knows? Maybe you’ll end up being able to make some friends after all?”

“Can’t wait,” Chrysalis groaned.

The two of them shared a glance that shattered into a fit of laughter.

In their combined revelry, neither heard the door open.

“You two enjoying yourselves?” Flare barked as she slid in from the Mess Hall. Twilight and Chrysalis’ laughter slowed to a giggle, then floundered into them clearing their throats. “And just might I ask what the two of you are doing here?”

“Enjoying ourselves, apparently,” Chrysalis said, locking eyes with Flare.

“It certainly would seem so. Why are you doing it here? You’re supposed to be upstairs. Where it’s safe. Ringing any bells.”

“It’s my fault. I wanted breakfast,” Twilight admitted, shooting her hoof into the air.

Chrysalis shook her head. “Put your hoof down, Twilight.” She turned to Flare. “And as for your question? Well, I decided to take an account of what rooms I’ve been attacked in so far. Turns out, upstairs is more dangerous for me.”

“Wipe that stupid grin off your face,” Flare scolded. “You do realize that if you get into another scuffle like that again, I won’t be able to pull your ass out of the fire again.”

“A scuffle?” Twilight asked, bewildered. “She almost died. How is that her fault?”

“Doesn’t matter who attacked first. Court doesn’t care, as I’m sure you noticed. I only have so much pull.”

“Doesn’t matter who attacked first?” Chrysalis asked.

Flare’s eyes narrowed. “That’s what I said. Problem with that?”

“That implies there’s a chance you actually believe I was the victim here?”

Chrysalis watched Flare sink into one of the open seats at the opposite end of the table. “Of course. I know you didn’t attack that waitress.”

“Really?” Twilight jumped.

“Yes.” Flare’s view flickered to Twilight, then back to Chrysalis. “I’ve followed Chrysalis’ case ever since she showed up at Princess Cadance’s wedding. Her ability to plan and scheme is astounding.”

“You believe me because I’m good at tricking ponies?” Chrysalis asked with a chuckle.

“That’s part of it.” Flare shrugged. “If you intended on killing that mare, you wouldn’t have stuck the knife in her shoulder. No. It was sloppy. Ametuer work. I have higher expectations of you than that.”

The same waitress from earlier returned, setting down a steaming teacup and saucer in front of Flare. Then, without saying a word, she slid back into the kitchen. Flare studied her drink, absentmindedly stirring with the provided spoon.

“You think quite highly of me,” Chrysalis noted.

Flare sipped her drink. “Not of you, per say. I simply have a great respect for the damage you could do. And now that I’ve saved your tail from the courts, anything stupid you do is going to put that damage on me. So, I would appreciate it if you would keep that troublemaking to a minimum.”

Twilight frowned. “Aren’t you being a little unfair–”

“You know, if you keep this up, I might actually start to like you,” Chrysalis interrupted.

Flare raised an eyebrow as she took another sip.

“It’s not a coincidence that you showed up here, is it?” Chrysalis asked. “And I doubt you came down here just to lecture me with things I already knew. So, just what brings you down here so early in the morning, Inquisitor?”

“I needed to speak with Princess Twilight. Figured I could grab a coffee while I was at it.” Flare raised her cup to emphasize her point.

“Did something happen?” Twilight asked, shoveling a slice of pancake into her mouth.

Flare finished her coffee with a long gulp. “You’re the one who sent the Solar Guard out hunting for rare herbs, right? Something about needing them to finish your little potion for Celestia?”

“I mean, I made the list, but I didn’t order anypony around.”

“Regardless, you did make the list. I’m here to speak with you about that.”

“Have your soldiers had any luck finding them?”

“Some of them. Others, not so much.”

Twilight shrunk. “Oh.”

Flare slid her cup away. “That’s only part of the message I came to deliver. What herbs and ingredients we have been able to scrounge up arrived overnight. I just found out about it this morning. They’ve been taken up to your lab.”

“Well, thank you for trying. I just have to hope one of the ones we have can do the trick.”

Flare’s eyes sharpened. “Twilight, did Celestia ever show you her Reliquary?”

“That sounds like a euphemism for something,” Chrysalis said.

Twilight blinked twice. “Her Reliquary? The one in her tallest tower?”

“That also sounds like a euphemism,” Chrysalis added.

“That’s the one,” Flare said. “Some of the names on your list sounded familiar. I know Princess Celestia used to keep some rarer alchemical ingredients locked up tight in case of an emergency. And if not there, she might have them in her catalog. Either way, I think it’s worth looking into.”

“And we’re just hearing about this now?” Chrysalis asked.

“Celestia’s Reliquary has some of the most dangerous relics in Equestria. That whole tower is locked up tight to keep them from falling into the wrong hooves,” Twilight explained. “Even if we had known, we wouldn’t be able to get in.”

“Aren’t you a princess?” Chrysalis asked. “I’m sure you could find a way in.”

“She could. But the Guardians would probably kill her. No. Only two ponies know how to get into that tower,” Flare said. “One of them is lying in a coma upstairs. Which just leaves me.” She adjusted her helmet. “If you have time today, Princess, I can take you up there.”

“Does after breakfast sound good?” Twilight asked, trembling in her seat.

“Sounds like a plan.”

After finishing her meal, Twilight started to gather her dishes together. “Leave it. The kitchen staff are paid to handle that,” Flare said, adding her own cup to the stack. “We’ve more important things to attend to.”

Flare led Twilight and Chrysalis back upstairs.

“This is where we part ways,” Flare announced, stopping at the cross-section between two hallways.

“I thought you were taking us upstairs to Celestia’s Reliquary?” Twilight asked, her voice uneven.

“I said I would take you there, Princess. Not her.” Flare nodded toward Chrysalis.

“What? Why?” Twilight asked.

“That room is locked up tight for a reason.”

“I thought you trusted her.”

“I said no such thing.” Flare turned her back on the duo. “I simply claimed that I didn’t believe she attacked the maid. Sheerly due to the attack’s incompetence. I have no faith in Chrysalis herself.”

“Of course,” Twilight huffed. “And here I thought we were all finally getting along.”

“Calm yourself, Twilight.” Chrysalis put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “It’s good that I don’t go. I have some of my own work to catch up on.” With a sideways glance at Flare, Chrysalis separated from the group. “I assume that I’ll be able to find you in your lab later tonight?”

Twilight nodded.

“Good.” Chrysalis smiled. She turned and continued off down one of the side hallways. Twilight stood for a few moments, watching the changeling walk away. Eventually, Flare prompted her onwards and the two of them continued up higher into the towers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I guess I misread you, Inquisitor,” Twilight grumbled as she and Flare ascended another flight of stairs. “I thought you actually cared about Chrysalis. But I guess I was wrong.” Her words dripped with venom, but that did little to ease the anger and regret infecting her chest.

“Would you have me lie instead? I thought honesty was the best policy,” Flare shot back, turning her head just enough to talk over her shoulder. “The only thing I care about is helping my Princess. Chrysalis is merely a tool to help you accomplish that goal. But I know that she could just as easily move the goalpost if she were so inclined.”

With a huff, Twilight galloped up beside the Solar Guard. “What exactly are you implying?”

“That Chrysalis is still a threat to Equestria, whether she means to be or not.”

“Of course. Because she’s a changeling, right? A boogeyman that doesn’t care about anything other than conquering and terrifying?” Twilight huffed. “You know, my own student used to be a threat to Equestria. She turned her life around. And because of that, she might be the only reason Equestria still exists. You think Chrysalis isn’t capable of such a thing?”

“I don’t care,” Flare said flatly. “She’s a threat. She’s proven that.”

“Maybe that’s because all of you keep treating her like one.” Twilight slowed to a trot, then to a full stop. “Maybe if somepony around here actually took the time to get to know her, they might think differently.”

“Or maybe you simply can’t see the danger she poses?” Flare suggested. “Maybe she’s just gotten inside your head?”

Twilight growled. “She saved my life.”

“So? She could just as easily take it from you. And the fact that you’re completely blind to that danger makes me worry for you as well, Princess.” Flare turned to face Twilight. “Or do you simply believe that the rest of Equestria is wrong? It’s just every pony in the room except for you that doesn’t get it?”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” Twilight howled.

“You would side with Chrysalis over Equestria?” Flare asked, widening her stance.

“If Equestria is wrong–”

“I didn’t ask who was right or wrong. I asked where your loyalties lie, Princess. With Chrysalis, or with Equestria?” Flare fell silent, giving Twilight a chance to answer. When the princess couldn’t give one, Flare turned her back and continued on. “Someday, you will have to make that choice, Twilight. And I pray to Celestia that you’re able to make the right choice.”

“Even if the right choice is wrong?” Twilight muttered.

“Especially then,” Flare barked back.

The Inquisitor continued climbing, not bothering to wait. Twilight closed her eyes and massaged her temple. More than a few words for Flare brewed in her mind, but she lacked the energy to continue the argument. Keeping her mouth shut, she followed in the Inquisitor’s steps up into the highest tower.

The spiral stairs ended in an entryway. Flare stood at a plain wooden door, running her hoof across the grain as she traced invisible symbols. While she waited, Twilight glanced around the room. It had been years since Celestia had brought her here. And yet, in such a long time, it had changed so little. The same striped vases held a new generation of the same flowers. The lamps’ glass had yellowed, but the flames inside still flickered as though nothing had changed. Two statues stood on either side of the door. They depicted gargantuan beasts with bipedal cloven hooves, bat-like wings, and a carved sneer on their blocky faces. Their pedestals had a series of undecipherable symbols carved into them.

“Hello, War. Hello, Peace,” Twilight said quietly.

Flare turned toward the Princess. “Excuse me?”

Twilight straightened up. “War and Peace. The statues.”

With a furrowed brow, Flare returned to her arcane unlocking ritual. “I’m surprised you knew that.”

“Celestia always told me to be nice to them.” Twilight strode up to War. Standing beside the stone goliath made her feel exceptionally small. She felt a chill up her spine when she met his eyes. Despite their carven appearance, she felt like they were watching her.

“Here.” Flare threw the door open and ducked inside.

“I’ll talk to you two later,” Twilight said, bowing to the statues before entering.

Unlike the entryway, Celestia’s Reliquary had changed more than a bit. According to the stories Twilight had been told, this tower had once been Celestia’s library. It still held countless shelves stocked with ancient pages and dusty covers. But more things had been added over the years. Most of them were weapons. Magic-infused trinkets of all shapes and sizes were locked away in glass display cases.

Larger exhibits hung from the ceiling. A tarnished golden table carved in the shape of a sun sat in the center of the room, being overwatched by a golden Celestia. More accurately, a statue of Celestia made entirely out of gold. It stood as tall as the room, depicting the Solar Princess on her hind legs, rearing up as though preparing to strike. Despite the featureless face, the statue emitted an aura of both strength and beauty.

As she scanned through the collection, Twilight noticed a book covered with far less dust than those around it. “She kept adding to the collection?” Twilight asked as she ran her hoof up this particular book’s spine.

“Of course she did. As long as there was a clear and present danger, she did whatever she had to in order to be sure they didn’t end up in the wrong hooves.” Flare finally noticed Twilight’s interest in the spellbook. “I wouldn’t touch that. Nasty business.”

Twilight shot Flare a sideways glance. “Yeah, I’m well aware. This was the cursed spellbook retrieved from the Castle of the Two Sisters. Its magic nearly drove Rarity to destroy Ponyville.” She pulled herself away from the book, silencing the whispers she hadn’t heard in the corners of her mind. “So, where is this catalog you were talking about?”

“Here.” Flare pointed Twilight to an unimpressive metal box that sat at the Celestia statue’s base. A book sat on a pedestal nearby. Flare opened the front cover, revealing a strange cipher written across its pages.

“I remember this, too,” Twilight said, stepping up beside Flare. “I believe Celestia used to call it the ‘Storage Cube’.”

“That’s one name for it.”

Twilight stepped past Flare and raised her hoof to the closest face of the cube. She traced a rune on the metal. Her drawing started to glow. With a click, the cube unlocked and swung open, revealing a ratty stuffed animal.

“I see you already know how it works,” Flare commented.

“Yeah. Celestia taught me.” Twilight removed the stuffed animal from the container. “She let me practice with it. I left this little guy in there a long time ago. I’d nearly forgotten the right symbol.”

“Glad you’re using such powerful artifacts for fun.” Flare flipped through a few pages of the book. “Here. She’s got a whole section marked for herbs. Recognize these names?”

Twilight’s lips moved silently as she read the list. “Yes. They’re a lot of what I need.”

“Good. Then I’ll leave you up here to work.” Flare turned and started to leave.

“What about you?”

Flare paused. “What about me? You clearly know how all of this works. I don’t think I’ll be able to help you find what you need any easier than you could. Don’t worry about locking up. Once you leave, the wards will reset themselves.”

“Then you trust me with all these powerful artifacts?” Twilight asked sharply.

Flare’s eyes narrowed. “Is there some reason I shouldn’t?”

“I thought my loyalty to Equestria was in question?” Twilight spat. She leafed through a couple of pages of the index. “I didn’t think you’d trust me enough to leave me alone up here. Maybe I’ll take a souvenir for Chrysalis. She’d like some of these, don’t you think?”

Flare turned slowly. “Is there something you’d like to say to me, Princess?”

“What would give you that idea?” Twilight asked as innocently as she could.

“Sounds to me like Chrysalis is starting to rub off on you.” Flare took a step closer. “Let me be clear with you, Princess Twilight, I couldn’t care less what sort of sick twisted game you and that changeling are playing. I care about one thing.” She took another step closer. Twilight felt the fur on her neck bristle. “I have spent nearly a century protecting my Princess and everything she stood for. And I will not allow any enemy to threaten that. Be they Princess or Queen.”

Twilight felt a jolt of lightning ripple up her spine. “And what exactly does Celestia stand for? I spent my whole life as her student, Inquisitor, and she sounds so much different than the one you serve.”

“She would do whatever she had to in order to protect her ponies,” Flare said. “She created a world where ponies could play without fear of the monsters and villains that plague the world. An empire meant to serve and protect its ponies. A kingdom of peace.”

“Peace for who? Ponies?” Twilight asked, tilting her head to the side. “And what about the rest of the races? Yaks? Dragons? Changelings?”

“Unless they present a threat to that peace.”

“Like Chrysalis.”

“Yes.”

“And like me?”

Flare kept quiet for a few moments. “If you prove to be a threat, then yes.”

Twilight hung her head. “You make her sound so clinical. So simple.”

“Tell me then, Princess Twilight, what do you think Celestia stood for?”

“She believes every creature has good in them. That anypony can turn over a new leaf and live a life of peace and quiet. Luna. Discord. Starlight. She believed in all of them. And she believes in Chrysalis, too.”

“You sound very sure.”

“You said it yourself, didn’t you? Celestia risked everything to try and save Chrysalis. Why would she have done that if she had no faith in her?”

“Call me cynical if you will, Princess, but that faith might very well cost My Lady her life.” In the silence, Twilight heard Flare shift her armor. “And that isn’t something I can abide by.”

“I see.” Any anger or bitterness in Twilight’s voice had vanished. “Then you think Celestia was wrong in this case?”

“I think she miscalculated.”

“You should have more faith in your Princesses.”

Flare turned and started for the door once again. Twilight returned her attention to the index on the pedestal. She scanned through the list of names of different herbs. She didn’t notice when Flare stopped just shy of the exit.

“Princess?” Twilight looked up from her reading. “For what it’s worth, I hope I’m wrong. About you. About Chrysalis. About all of this.”

Twilight took a moment to consider Flare’s words.

“Thank you, Inquisitor.”

“Of course, Princess.”

The Inquisitor left, closing the door behind her.

Twilight started to read again. The inked lines were much harder to read through the tears welling in her eyes. “I hope you’re wrong, too, Flare. More than anything.”

PreviousChapters Next