• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
65: Death of a Queen

Twilight could only sit and stare at the scene splayed out in front of her. It was over. She had failed, and Celestia was going to die. Those thoughts chased one another around and around again in her head. They chased away the anger and the guilt. They chased away the various colors of the world. Like a twister, spinning away and leaving nothing but an aching emptiness in their wake.

“I need to go,” she finally muttered, standing up and shuffling out of the room.

“Twilight? Where are you going?” A tearful Luna asked.

“I . . .” Twilight let her head hang limp. “I don’t know.”

Luna called after her, but Twilight didn’t want to listen. She was distracted by the deafening thrum of her own heartbeat in her ears. Without guidance, or even a destination, Twilight walked. The portraits on the walls looked down on her as she passed by.

Her wandering brought her to one of the guest rooms. She stepped inside, ignoring the pristine interior and headed right for the balcony door. She opened the latch and swung the doors open. Snowflakes drifted inside as Twilight stepped out. Her wings unfurled and she leapt into the sky, her feathers catching her and carrying her away.

After circling the castle, she finally came to roost at the top of the tallest tower.

Even at the top of the world, there were no stars in the sky. Instead, she turned her attention to the stars below. The lamps and lights that cast all of Canterlot in an ethereal glow. And as she watched the ponies below, she started to cry. She tucked her hind legs against her chest and curled inward, draping herself in her own wings.

She didn’t notice when her body started to shiver. But it seemed somepony had.

A blanket floated down to land on Twilight’s shoulders. Startled, the pony turned to see Chrysalis landing nearby. She moved to the other side of the tower’s tallest point and sat with her back to Twilight.

“What are you doing here?” Twilight asked, pulling the blanket tighter.

Chrysalis spoke, but kept her focus firmly on the dark mountainside behind the castle. “Making sure you don’t catch your death of cold up here.”

“What about you?” Twilight sniffled. “I thought you hated the cold?”

“I do. More than just about anything.”

Twilight turned back to her sorrowful vigil. “Thanks for the blanket.”

“Mhm.”

Twilight watched a guard patrol the streets below. “How do you deal with death, Chrysalis?”

“Why are you asking me? Do you think I have some world-shattering revelation to share with you?” Twilight didn’t answer. “You live as long as I have, I guess you just become mostly numb to it.”

“What about Blue?”

“I said mostly.” Chrysalis’ wings chirped. “But it’s different when you lose somepony you love. When they go, they take a piece of you with them. And no matter how many years soar by, you never really heal from a wound like that. Just when you think it’s done bleeding, something else comes along and opens it right back up. And before you know it, you’re lying on the floor, feeling like you’re dying.”

“Does it hurt?”

“Yes.”

Twilight used the edge of her blanket to wipe her tears.

“Twilight?” Chrysalis asked.

Twilight could hear the changeling’s hoof scraping against the frozen roof tile. “Yeah?”

“I think I can save her. I think I can save Celestia.”

Twilight bolted upright. The sudden shift skewed her balance, causing her to slip. She fell from the roof only a foot or two before she landed on a floating green platform. Above her, Chrysalis loomed, her eye glowing with emerald magic.

“Y-You can?” Twilight’s eyes widened. “Why didn’t you say something sooner? I’m sure if we hurry now, we can–”

“It comes at a cost, Twilight,” Chrysalis said, raising her hoof.

“Whatever that cost is, I’ll pay it,” Twilight promised, crossing a foreleg over her heart.

“I’m afraid it isn’t your toll to pay. Though I fear it might cost you nonetheless.” Chrysalis lowered her magic platform onto the balcony and offloaded Twilight before hopping down to join her.

“If I save Celestia, I die.”

Twilight paled. “What are you talking about? Lord Ruby and his ponies? I promise, they won’t be a threat to you once Celestia’s back. Trust me, she’ll put them in their place.”

“I’m not talking about them.”

“Then what are you talking about?”

“The Ritual of Rejuvenation. That’s what Iris called it, at least.” Chrysalis glanced at her reflection in the glass of the balcony door. “It’s old changeling magic. If a changeling were powerful enough, it would allow them to heal another of any wound, no matter how mortal.”

“But . . .” Twilight started, bracing herself.

“The spell requires releasing a massive amount of energy. More than any normal changeling could possibly hold. And supposing that I don’t miscast and turn Canterlot Castle into a crater . . . I likely wouldn’t survive the drain on my magic.”

Twilight’s mind stumbled over a single word in Chrysalis’ explanation. One that put a knot in her stomach. “Likely?”

Chrysalis’ eye dimmed. “Yes. I’ve only seen it done six times in my life. Only one survived. And she . . . she came back different. She was still walking and talking, but she might as well have been dead for all it mattered.”

“Then there’s no good outcome for you if you use it?” Twilight asked.

Chrysalis shook her head.

Twilight looked down at her hooves. “So you’re making me choose. You or Celestia.”

“Only it isn’t a hypothetical this time.”

Twilight ran a hoof through her mane, plucking more than a few strands as she did. “Why are you asking me? Why is this my decision to make? It’s your life on the line here, it should be your choice.” Twilight growled. “I can’t do this. I can’t choose.”

“I didn’t expect you to.” Chrysalis walked to the ledge of the balcony and climbed up on the rail. “I know it isn’t an easy decision to make.”

“I think that’s understating it a little.” Twilight scowled. “Why are you leaving this to me?”

“Because I won’t be around long enough for it to matter.” Chrysalis straightened her shoulders. “Either I die saving Celestia or I spend the rest of my life as a statue in the gardens down there. You’re the one who’ll have to live with the choice.” Chrysalis’ wings fluttered, causing her to lift from the stone.

The cold air made Twilight flinch. “You make it sound like there’s no hope for you.”

“I told you it would end like this from the start. I’m the villain in this fairy tale. I don’t get a happy ending.” Chrysalis frowned. “Whatever you decide, I’ll be waiting for you in my room. And no matter what happens, Twilight, I’ll still love you. I promise.”

Chrysalis flew away, leaving Twilight shivering alone on the balcony.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrysalis hovered outside her bedroom window. From down here, she couldn’t see Twilight. As the frost of winter rounded the edge of her wings, she retracted them, dropping onto the window ledge outside her tower. She put her hoof up to frame, but stopped before pushing it open. She turned back, glancing toward the tower she had fallen from.

A shock echoed through Chrysalis’ body, drawing her back to her window. She threw herself aside as the glass exploded outward. Her hoof instinctively went to her face, blocking the shower of glass from her remaining eye. Something crackled in the air behind her. She glanced back to see a golden spear twirling, wrapped in shimmering pink energy, spiraling back toward her. Chrysalis’ magic conjured a shield between her and the weapon, but the force of the strike and her unbalanced stance sent her sprawling back through the window, crashing into the cold tiles of her bedroom floor.

Chrysalis’ eye was locked on the spear as it soared past her again, returning to its master on the far side of the room. The changeling growled as she recognized the stallion standing there, dressed to the nines in heavy plate armor. His spear hovered to his side, its blade glimmering in the moonlight.

“Hey,” Shining Armor said, shrugging.

“Shining Armor?” Chrysalis scoffed.

“I’m here to finish our talk we started last night.”

“Well, that was quite the way to ask.” Chrysalis stood, wiping the dust from her shell. “Besides, I made my point. I’ve nothing more to say to you.”

“That’s alright, I’ll start,” Shining said. He stepped forward, his spear at the ready. “Where’s my sister?”

“Why are you asking me?” Chrysalis glared at the weapon. “Last I heard, she was presenting her cure to Luna downstairs.”

Shining shook his head. “Don’t try that with me, Chrysalis. You’ve got her on a leash. She doesn’t go anywhere around here without you knowing about it. You know exactly where she is.”

Chrysalis sighed. “Back to this again?”

“I’m losing my patience, Chrysalis.”

You’re losing your patience?” Chrysalis’ eye darted around the room. This might have been her room this morning, but now it was enemy territory. There was no telling what surprises Shining might have waiting for her. “I’ve spent the last few weeks doing everything in my power to help your sister and save your Princess, and you’ve done nothing but make an impossible task even harder.” She started to circle the room. Shining started to do the same. “It doesn’t matter if I’m doing the right or the wrong thing, does it? You still have to screw it all up.”

Shining’s spear spun slowly in his magical grip. Chrysalis kept her gaze on it, her muscles tensed and ready to dodge if it started moving. But instead, it was his laugh that caught Chrysalis off guard.

“You really expect me to buy that?” His smile faded. “I’m not even sure you’re capable of knowing what the right thing is. Yet, in the span of only a week or two, you had Twilight and Luna convinced that you were on their side. And we were only here a few days before you had Cadance succumbing, too. But not me. I’ll never forgive what you’ve done.”

I had them convinced?” Chrysalis asked. “Your wife brought a battalion to my room and Luna threatened to have me tortured for information. Your sister is the only one who wasn’t trying to kill me around here.” As she rounded the room, Chrysalis scanned it, reconstructing it in her head. Several plans started to form. “She treated me like a villain, sure, but at least she seemed to realize I wasn’t some horrible monster.”

“Except you are a monster.”

“I was.”

Shining’s eyebrow raised. “Was?”

“Your sister changed all that.” Chrysalis stopped pacing.

Shining stopped, too. “And you changed her.”

“I didn’t,” Chrysalis repeated.

“I don’t believe you.” Shining’s spear started to lower. “When Luna called me here, all I could think about was all the terrible things you did to us. I was ready to rid the ponies of Equestria from their greatest nightmare. Only for my sister to tell me she was in love.” Shining scoffed. “That wasn’t Twilight. She couldn’t love you. Not after everything you did to her.”

“I . . .” Chrysalis hesitated. “I had nothing to do with that. I was just as surprised as you when she kissed me.” Chrysalis took a slow step forward. “Just put your spear down, Shining. I don’t want to hurt you.”

He chuckled. “Since when?”

“Since your sister asked me not to.”

Shining recoiled. Then he nodded. But his weapon didn’t lower.

“You’re full of shit, Chrysalis.”

“Fine.” Chrysalis’ magic started to course through her body. “Just remember, when this is over, that you started this.”

“Remember it?” Shining laughed. “I’ll be bragging about it.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight raised her head as the Observatory door opened. Cadance ducked inside, glancing around at the artifacts and relics that littered the library. It didn’t take long for her to spot Twilight sitting in the middle of the room, buried beneath her blanket and Celestia’s pillows.

“Hey,” Cadance said as she walked across the room.

“Hey,” Twilight said back, putting her head back down.

Cadance strolled up beside Twilight and laid down. “Luna asked me to come talk to you,” she said. “She told me what happened earlier.”

“I’m sorry, Cadance.” Twilight muttered, burying her head beneath her pillow.

“For what?” Cadance snuggled up against Twilight, holding her tight. Old memories returned. Memories of the nights she would wake, crying, from a nightmare. The nights where Cadance would comfort her, by holding her just like this.

“I tried to save her,” Twilight said.

“I know.”

“Luna keeps telling me that it isn’t my fault.”

“She’s right.” Cadance brushed a few strands of Twilight’s mane away from her face.

“It doesn’t feel like that. I keep thinking: What if I’d been faster? What if there was something I missed, some ingredient that would have–”

“Stop that, Twilight.” Cadance leaned forward, making sure Twilight could see her face. “Nopony has any right to judge you. Not even you.”

There was a long pause.

“You know, Celestia . . .” Cadance slumped her shoulders. “For the longest time, Celestia and I were the only alicorns. She would spend some nights ‘preparing’ me. She taught me everything I needed to know to run the country in case she . . . in case she couldn’t.” She laughed without a hint of joy in her voice. “I used to think that was absurd. My Auntie Celestia was too powerful, too wise to ever fail. She hated that.”

“How come?” Twilight asked, shifting to a more comfortable position.

“She said that was ridiculous. That nothing lives forever. Not even her. And she worried that Equestria relied on her too much. That it would fall apart without her.”

“Doesn’t seem like she was too far off,” Twilight noted.

“That’s where you’re wrong.” Despite the misty glaze in her eyes, Cadance smiled. “Do you want to know a secret, Twilight?”

“I . . .” Twilight hesitated. “I guess.”

“Not too long after Luna returned, she and Celestia came to me one night. They told me that they didn’t plan on keeping the throne forever. They worried their ways were too old and stagnant. They wanted somepony new to take up their mantle. To take care of Equestria in their stead.”

“And they asked you?” Twilight tilted her head. “I mean, didn’t you say that’s what Celestia trained you for?”

“Nope.” Cadance shook her head. “You see, Twilight, I had found my own kingdom to rule. My Crystal Empire. And though I would have gladly given up my rule to protect Equestria, that wasn’t what they wanted for me. Instead, they asked me to do them a favor.”

“And . . . what was that?” Twilight asked, her throat dry.”

Cadance turned away. “They both knew how lonely the job could be. So, they asked me to be a friend to their successor. To keep them company and to help them out wherever I thought they needed it.”

“So, if you weren’t their successor . . .”

“They chose you, Twilight.” Cadance nodded. “Celestia chose you. Ever since the day she picked you to be her student, she wanted it to be you. She taught you everything she could, pushed you to be the best pony you could be. Because she saw your potential. Because she knew you could do it.”

“She . . . she did?” Twilight felt her pulse quicken. “But, I don’t know anything about ruling. I can’t–”

“You can, Twilight. Celestia and Luna knew it. Your brother and I knew it. It was never even a question.” Cadance gently cupped Twilight’s cheek. “Of course there’s things you don’t know. You’ll never be prepared for everything. Even after a thousand years, Celestia was still learning. But you’ve built the foundation for greatness already, Twilight. And you won’t do it alone. I promise.”

“Even if that’s true.” Twilight shook her head. “Celestia . . . she . . .” Twilight winced. “Her story shouldn’t have ended like this. She deserved better.”

“She lived a long life, Twilight.” Cadance leaned forward, pressing her chin to Twilight’s forehead. “And of course she will be missed. Generations of Equestria will mourn her. And so will we. But you can’t let that grief destroy you. You are her legacy.”

Twilight stayed quiet for a long time, drinking in everything she’d been told.

“Cadance?” she finally started.

“Yeah?”

“I’m not ready to let go.”

Cadance sighed. “Nopony ever is, Twilight. But that isn’t always our choice to make.”

Twilight stiffened. “But, what if it was?”

Cadance leaned back, pulling Twilight face-to-face. “What are you talking about, Twilight?”

“Chrysalis.” Twilight couldn’t meet Cadance’s gaze. “She told me something. And . . . I don’t know what I should do about it.”

“Of course she did.” Cadance sighed. “Well, what did she say?”

“She knew an old changeling spell that could heal Celestia.”

The older alicorn paled. “Do you think she was telling the truth?”

“But it would come at a cost. Chrysalis would have to sacrifice herself to do it.”

“I see.” Cadance nodded. “That’s . . .” she trailed off.

“I know.” Twilight hung her head. “I don’t know what to do.”

“I can’t answer that for you, Twilight.” Cadance bit her lip. “But I can offer you my advice, if you want?” Twilight nodded. “One way or another, Celestia and Chrysalis both put this decision in your hooves. They trusted that you would make the right decision.”

“But what is the right decision?” Twilight howled.

“I don’t know,” Cadance said. “But I think you should trust yourself. Trust your intuition. That’s how Celestia chose you, and that’s why Chrysalis trusted you. Make the choice you think is right. And everything else will follow.” Cadance released Twilight. “Just know that, whatever you choose, I’ll support you, Twilight. Okay?”

“I . . .” Twilight paused. “Yeah. Thanks, Cadance.”

“Now, why don’t we–”

The roaring crash of cracking stone and shattered glass echoed through the castle grounds. Twilight and Cadance shared a worried look and rushed to the balcony door. Far below, a cloud of dust was billowing up from a collapsed section of the castle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining Armor’s spear lashed out, its blade repeatedly clanging off Chrysalis’ magic shield. With each diverted strike, the weapon’s speed increased, until it was nothing more than a golden blur flashing in the night. Chrysalis’ eye followed the action as best it could, but it was starting to lag behind the Shining’s furious onslaught. Each blow came a little closer than the last.

When Shining’s next strike landed, Chrysalis’ shield faltered. The magic pane cracked as the spear punched through it, knocking the changeling off-balance.

Shining took the opportunity to charge forward, pulling his spear back and catching it in his hooves as he leapt through the air, bringing the point down hard on Chrysalis’ head. A flash of green magic lit the arena, and Chrysalis pushed back, meeting the spear head-on as her broken horn was engulfed in a magic blade.

The spear bounced away as though it had struck stone, sending Shining recoiling. Chrysalis lurched forward, driving a knee into his gut. As he doubled over, she followed through with a pillar of earth torn from the floor. It shot upward like a piston, buckling Shining’s chestplate as it sent him spiraling through the air and crashing through the bedroom door with a crack of wood and metal. He hit the tiles and rolled head-over-tail. The halves of his broken spear landed on either side of him.

And right in front of a small battalion of guards.

“Captain!” The cry went out. Two soldiers rushed to Shining’s side and helped him stand.

“What’s going on here?” Shining asked breathlessly.

“It seems I arrived just in time,” Lord Ruby said, stepping between the ranks of soldiers.

“Lord Ruby?” Shining stared at the noble. “What are you doing here?”

“I was on my way down from speaking with Princess Luna.” He turned to face Chrysalis. “The Princess’ protection of her has been removed. And these soldiers are here to take her into custody. I must say, I’m impressed you’ve kept her busy until we arrived.” Ruby’s smile had a sickly sheen to it. “But these fine young soldiers can handle it from here.”

He stomped his hoof. The soldiers shuffled into formation. A line of solid earth ponies formed the frontline, each of them hiding behind a tower shield larger than they were. Each one bore the insignia matching Ruby’s broach. A line of unicorns formed up behind them, their horns already glowing with various colors of magic.

Chrysalis leaned her head back and glared down her nose at the noble. “I’m sorry, Captain Armor and I were in the middle of something. If you’re here looking for a fight, I’m afraid you’re going to have to get in line.”

“Bold words for one at the precipice of death, Changeling.” Lord Ruby spat on the floor between them. “You have insulted the honor of my house. And so, it is my house that shall mete out justice to you.”

Chrysalis looked to Shining Armor, who was now standing on his own four hooves. “Are you just going to let him get in the way? I thought we had something special going on.”

Shining stepped through the shieldline. His chestplate had been warped by Chrysalis’ attack, causing him to unbuckle the straps and toss it aside. To replace his broken weapon, he retrieved one from another willing soldier. “Lord Ruby, I’ll take care of this.”

“Alone? You seemed to be at your limit just a moment ago,” Lord Ruby said, looking far too smug for the direness of the situation.

“She’s too dangerous for your soldiers to get close. Keep them back and have them cover me. We’ll bring her down together.” Shining punctuated his words by returning to his combat stance.

Reluctantly, Chrysalis followed suit.

Again, Shining made the first move. He rushed at her, his spear at the ready.

Chrysalis put up a shield, ready for whatever the Captain had to throw at her.

As he neared, Shining redirected his attack, slamming his spear into the ground and using the force to launch himself over Chrysalis’ head. He landed on his hooves behind her and lunged. She turned just in time to repel his flanking attack.

“Now!” Shining called.

A tingle crawled up Chrysalis’ spine. Shining started his attack again, drawing her attention. All the while, she could hear the firing squad behind her move into position. Three more attacks from Shining, three more blocks. Then the magic barrage began.

It started with a storm of magical bolts, peppering the hallway. Several went wide, colliding with the far wall. Some found their mark on Chrysalis, burning marks into her chitin where they landed. But Chrysalis couldn’t let her focus fall for even a moment, lest she allow one of Shining’s attacks through her defenses.

Then came the second barrage.

This time, she was ready. Shining struck, but rather than block, Chrysalis side-stepped. With the support of only three legs, she stumbled, but managed to keep herself upright enough to stay on her hooves. Shining’s spear plunged into the stone. Chrysalis threw up a shield that covered her whole flank, blocking the dozen or so bolts of magic that had come her way.

“Don’t lose your focus,” Shining growled, swinging his spear back upwards and catching Chrysalis in the shoulder with it. The blade cut a deep gouge into her chitin, but not deep enough to draw blood.

Another shower of magic ripped across her shield. Shining’s flurry continued, carving off bits of her shell with each close shave. Then he got his lucky shot with the fourth barrage.

Chrysalis’ shield finally reached its limit, breaking under the magical rainstorm.

And in the moment her magic failed, Shining feinted.

With Chrysalis’ focus split, she wasn’t prepared, letting the spear slip right past her defense. It sunk deep into her side. And for the first time, one of Shining’s attacks drew blood. It dripped down the spearhead and spilled out onto the tile.

And Chrysalis watched her own blood drip. She staggered back as Shining pulled the spear free, splattering blood across the battlefield. Ruby’s mages readied another wave of missiles. And even as her back was to the wall, Chrysalis could only think of Twilight.

She closed her eyes. She saw Blue. How many times in her life had she come so close, only to have her love torn away from her. Even now, as the wounds built up and her strength failed her, she could only think of how much she had lost. And just how angry that made her.

“I won’t . . .” Chrysalis gasped.

Shining’s weapon whirled through the air.

“Are you going to let them take you from her?”

That voice. One she hadn’t heard in a long time. Her own.

Another wave of magic. Another thrust of the spear. But this time, neither hit their mark.

Chrysalis’ magic flared. She lifted a hoof only an inch from the floor and slammed it back down. As it struck against the stone, a shockwave tore outward. Scraps of tile and chips of rock careened through the air. Shining was blasted backward, hitting the far wall hard enough to leave a crack.

“Another volley,” Ruby ordered. He sounded like he was enjoying it.

Chrysalis turned to face down the soldiers. The front line readied their shield. The unicorns fired their spells. This time, Chrysalis didn’t bother trying to block them. Instead, she swung her head around, her mane flailing. Her broken horn glowed, forming a blade along the cracked length.

There was a sound like thunder. Chrysalis’ magic unleashed in a wave of energy, stretching from wall to wall as it barreled down the hallway. It hit the shieldline like a train, cutting into the metal and leaving a single clean cut across the entire line. Though the shields did not break, the force behind it pushed the soldiers back, their hooves digging trenches into the marble as they slid.

As they started to move back into position, Chrysalis raised her hoof, wrapped it in bright green magic, and pulled it straight down.

The walls, damaged by her last attack, groaned, sputtering out dust and debris as they collapsed inward. The windows shattered. The brick snapped. The roof caved inward, burying the battalion alongside their noble commander beneath a pile of debris. Chrysalis’ magic faded, leaving her light-headed for a moment.

But she didn’t have time to rest. Not yet. She turned her back to the destruction and walked in the direction of Shining Armor. After a moment of searching, she found him, coughing and choking beneath a cloud of dust.

“Are you finished yet?” Chrysalis asked.

“Not as long as you’re still breathing,” Shining said back.

Chrysalis scoffed. She stepped forward, planting her hoof firmly on Shining’s head. “You really want to keep that up? I could break your skull right here and now. And I’d finally be free of you.”

“Then do it already.”

Chrysalis leaned forward, increasing the pressure. “You know, I used to think you were something. But it looks like you’re just another dumb brute like the rest of your soldiers.” She gave one last push down before releasing him and turning away. “I’m not trying to kill you, Idiot.”

Now freed, Shining sat up.

“Don’t get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't miss you. But I don’t think your sister would be thrilled if I turned your head into raspberry jam.” Chrysalis wandered over to the window. She could hear the grunts and groans of the soldiers buried in the rubble. “You should consider yourself lucky. The only reason you’re alive is because she asked me to spare you.”

“Why would you care what she asks?”

Chrysalis sighed as she stared out the window. She could see the faintest outline of an alicorn descending from the heavens. “You really haven’t been paying attention, have you?”

Shining retrieved the bladed half of his broken spear. “All I’ve seen is you trying to corrupt Twilight. To turn her into your little minion, just like you did to me.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Maybe. But that’s not a chance I can afford to take.”

Once he was close enough, Shining lunged. He aimed for Chrysalis’ exposed throat.

“Luckily, that’s not your decision to make anymore.”

Chrysalis turned and caught his spear with her own foreleg. Before Shining could react, she reared up and slammed down, driving her forehead into the end of his muzzle hard enough to knock his helmet away. He crumpled in a heap, his eyes unfocused.

Chrysalis took a moment to straighten her mane as Twilight soared in through the broken ceiling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What’s going on here?” Twilight asked, surveying the damage as she landed beside Chrysalis.

“Your brother was causing trouble,” Chrysalis said, motioning to the collapsed soldier lying nearby.

Twilight’s eyes went wide. “Shining!” She cried, rushing to his side.

Shining Armor was still clinging to consciousness. He smiled as he saw his sister kneel beside him. “Sorry, Twily,” he said through a bloody muzzle, “I tried. I really did. But she was too strong for me.”

“I know, Shiny. It’s going to be alright.” She held his head in her lap, petting his mane. She turned to Chrysalis. “What did you do to him?”

“Don’t give me that,” Chrysalis scoffed. “He started it, and he gave as good as he got.”

Twilight inspected her brother’s wounds. His nose was bleeding. His chest had several bruises developing. Given the nastiness of a few of them, she was willing to bet he had a few broken ribs, too. Dozens of little cuts covered his body.

“I’m sorry, Shiny,” Twilight whispered.

“I know you’re still in there, somewhere, Twi. You just have to fight it. You can still do the right thing,” he whispered back.

“I know.” Twilight nodded. “I will.”

“Then, I take it you’ve finally decided on how this all plays out?” Chrysalis asked. She was standing by the window, watching Twilight expectantly.

“Yes. I’ve decided that you’re going to leave.” Twilight looked down at her brother.

Chrysalis flinched then stepped closer. She, too, looked at Shining. “Is this because of him? I tried to talk him out of it, but he didn’t give me a choice—”

“No.” Twilight shook her head furiously. “This has nothing to do with him.” She laid her brother down gently and turned to Chrysalis. “You told me that this was my decision, that I had to choose how the story plays out. Well, this is me, making my choice.”

“It’s a stupid choice,” Chrysalis explained.

Twilight nodded. “I didn’t think you’d take it well.” She reached up to Chrysalis’ cheek. “We both know you can’t stay here. We princesses can’t protect you anymore, they’ll put everything they have into hunting you down.” She motioned out to the city beyond the window panes.

Chrysalis huffed. “I don’t need protecting.”

“Maybe you don’t. But even you must know you can’t stay here. Not after everything that’s happened.”

Chrysalis put her own hoof over Twilight’s. “And what about Celestia?”

“She’ll be mourned. But I was wrong. It might sting worse than anything before, but Equestria will survive without her. She made sure of that.”

Chrysalis rolled her eye. “You know that isn’t what I meant. My spell—“

“No.” Twilight’s hoof moved to Chrysalis’ mouth, silencing her. “You’ve made a lot of mistakes, Chrysalis. But that doesn’t mean you deserve to die. I want you to live. To go out and find a reason to live your life again. To be free to start a new life wherever you want.”

“But, Celestia—“

“I don’t think she’d want you to throw your life away, either. That day she came to your hive, she saved your life. She knew the risks, but she made her choice. And she did it for a reason. It’s up to you now to decide if her faith was well-placed.”

Chrysalis pulled away from Twilight. “And what about us? You say I need to find a reason? I already found one. And I don’t want to lose it again,” Chrysalis said, her voice cracking slightly. “You could come with me? We could start over together?” Even Chrysalis didn’t sound convinced of her own idea.

“I want to. Really. But I can’t do that, Chrysalis.” Twilight bit her lip. “Celestia trusted me to help take care of Equestria after she was gone. It’ll be tough, but I can’t just walk away from this.” Her eyes started to mist over. “I know you’ll miss me. I’ll miss you, too. And who knows? Maybe someday we'll find each other again, yeah?”

Chrysalis hung her head, defeated.

“Spoken like a true monarch,” she said with an unhappy grin.

“I'm doing my best.” Twilight returned an equally pained smile.

And they stayed like that. A silent goodbye that stretched on endlessly, yet never long enough. It only broke when Chrysalis turned to walk away. From where she stood, Twilight could see the changeling’s shoulders heave with a shuddering breath.

“Fine. If that’s really what you want, I’ll go. But . . .” Chrysalis glanced shyly over her shoulder. “Maybe one last goodbye kiss? Just something to remember you by?”

Twilight nodded heavily.

With Twilight’s permission, Chrysalis moved closer, leaning in for a kiss. Twilight closed her eyes and did the same. But Chrysalis’ lips never met her own. Instead, she felt the changeling’s cheek graze her own. She could feel her heart race as she felt the warm breath against her soft skin.

“Checkmate,” Chrysalis whispered.

Twilight’s eyes went wide as someone icy and sharp bit into her neck.

“Twilight!” Shining screamed. From the corner of her eye, Twilight could see her brother, still battered and beaten, desperately trying to crawl to her aid. He vanished as her peripherals blurred. It had taken Twilight until now to breakthrough the sudden mental fog to realize what had happened. Just in time for Chrysalis to tear her fangs back out.

“Wha . . . Why?” Any semblance of coherence became impossible as Twilight tongue numbed. Her knees weren’t far behind. She could do nothing but fall to her knees, looking upward toward the changeling queen looming tall over her.

“You’ve been a great help, Twilight, but it seems our time has finally run out,” Chrysalis said, twisting her visage into a melodramatic pout. “Such a shame. I was really starting to like having such a loyal pet around.”

Chrysalis let go of Twilight’s hoof, removing the last of her support and sending her collapsing onto the floor.

“Damn you, Chrysalis! You won’t get away with this.” Shining roared.

His bravado earned him a hoof in the back, pressing him down into the cracked and jagged tile.

“You know what’s funniest about all of this?” Chrysalis put her full weight on the stallion’s back, forcing him to cry out as she leaned down to whisper in his ear. “You were right. All along. But, in the end, she still trusted me over you.” She laughed.

Twilight’s head swam. Even if she retained the physical ability to speak, her thoughts were just as scrambled. And as the venom spread, as reality itself continued to bleed away, Twilight could do nothing but stare. She could see Chrysalis’ lips moving and caught the occasional crumb of her villainous monologue, but the string of words meant nothing.

“All this time, she thought I really loved her.” Another laugh. “It’d be funnier if it wasn’t so sad. But I guess you can’t blame her completely. After all, I am quite the heartthrob. Don’t you think, Shiny?”

The only thing that meant anything to Twilight was the pain.

A burning, searing pain in her chest. The only part that wasn’t numbed.

“Celestia. Twilight. I’d say I did good work given what I had to work with.”

A pain that superseded any other, that would leave a scar on her heart.

“Maybe I’ll even get to pay your pretty wife a visit. Doesn’t that sound fun?”

A pain that left her begging for death.

Except, it wasn’t Twilight’s pain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrysalis watched the light dim in Twilight’s eyes. That bought her time.

“But,” Chrysalis began, lifting her hoof off Shining. “It would seem that I’ve worn out my welcome for tonight. I must say, Shiny, you put up quite the fight. You even had me doubting for a moment. But, alas, you lose again.”

As naturally as the insults flowed, Chrysalis could feel her approaching her breaking point. And seeing Twilight lying there, helpless and scared only made that pain worse. It almost reminded her of . . .

You’re doing this for her. For both of them.

Chrysalis repeated her mantra silently, but it did little to stem the tide of anguish she kept hidden just below the surface.

“I’ll never forgive you for this,” Shining growled, barely able to keep his head off the floor. “I will hunt you for the rest of your life, to the very ends of the world. I promise you that.” The hatred in his voice brought Chrysalis back to the moment.

“I’m counting on it. This game wouldn’t be fun if you stopped playing, now, would it?” Chrysalis said. She stepped out from beneath the broken ceiling, feeling the cold night air on her shell. “I’m sure we’ll meet again someday, Shining Armor. Until then.” Chrysalis blew him a kiss as her wings sprouted from her back. With a whine, she lifted herself out of the castle ruins, heading for Celestia’s balcony.

Now that she was alone, there was nothing to take her mind off things. She could feel the tears start to well up, but wiped them away. In a few minutes, the bridges she burned would hardly matter to her. Even if they were bridges led to ponies she enjoyed being with. Even ones she loved.

But determination had brought her this far. She wouldn’t stop now.

She wasn’t sure she even could.

Chrysalis’ hooves touched down on Celestia’s balcony with a click.

Her wings folded in as she pushed open the balcony doors. They opened to the dirge of creaking frames. In the night wind, the curtains swirled like spirits, the empty howling of the night wind, their ethereal wail.

“Chrysalis?” Luna’s form bled out of the darkness.

“Luna.”

“I must admit, I did not expect to see you here.” The alicorn wore dark circles around her tired, bloodshot eyes. “Lord Ruby left here a little while ago. He is looking for you.”

“I know.” Chrysalis walked past Luna. Doctor Heart was sitting in the same chair as before, an unlit pipe between his lips. “He and his soldiers are a little . . . preoccupied at the moment.”

“I should have guessed as much.” Luna shook her head. “And Twilight?”

“She . . .” Chrysalis flinched.

Luna sighed. “Why are you here?”

“I . . . I need to . . .” Chrysalis groaned. “I think I can save Celestia.”

Eyes wide, Luna lurched forward, putting her hoof on the changeling’s shoulder. “You are serious? Tell me. I will do whatever I can to aid you.”

Chrysalis removed Luna’s hoof from her shoulder. “Anything?”

“A . . .” Luna hesitated. “Yes. Anything.”

“I need you to leave.”

“Excuse me?” Luna turned her head to the side. “Why? How does my leaving help?”

“I can use an old changeling spell to heal her.” Behind Luna, Doctor Heart’s ears perked up. “It’s an intense spell. It requires a large amount of magic.”

“And I must leave because?” Luna’s head bobbed expectantly.

“Because if I screw this up, it’s probably going to take out a decent chunk of the castle.”

Luna blanched. “Are you insane?”

Chrysalis considered it. “I know. But Celestia’s already doomed.” She looked to the doctor, who nodded in solemn agreement. “If I succeed, you get your sister back and Equestria gets its princess back. If I fail, then we’re just back where we started. No real harm done.”

“Except for the destroyed chunk of the castle?” Luna asked.

Chrysalis’ eye narrowed. “Didn’t you say you’d do anything to save her?”

“I . . .” Luna’s shoulders slumped. “I did.” She pressed her hoof to her forehead, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “If I find out you are being dishonest with me . . .”

“No. I’m telling the truth.”

“You had better be.” Luna shifted her weight back and forth.

“Luna, when you returned from your exile, you changed.” Chrysalis touched her chestplate. “Well, I think I have, too. I’m trying to do the right thing here. Can you trust me to do that?”

Luna glanced around the room. Eventually, she turned back to Chrysalis. “Alright. I suppose I do not have much of a choice in the matter. Aside from my absence, is there anything else you require for your magic?”

A weight dropped from Chrysalis’ shoulders. “No. Nothing.”

“Very well.” Luna bit her lip. “How will I know when I can return?”

“You’ll know,” Chrysalis muttered.

“Alright. I suppose I shall take my leave.” She stopped. “Might I say a few words to my sister before I go?”

Chrysalis gestured toward Celestia. “She’s your sister. Go ahead.”

Luna returned to Celestia’s bedside. She leaned in close to her sister’s ear and started to whisper. Chrysalis tried her best to avoid reading the alicorn’s lips. Whatever she had to say, it was between the two sisters. Before Chrysalis could change her mind, Doctor Heart approached her.

“What do you want?” Chrysalis asked.

“Exactly how much magic are you expecting to use?”

“A lot.” Chrysalis flipped her mane. “What’s it to you?”

“From my understanding, Changelings require their magic to live. If they burn too much of it . . .” He bounced his head back and forth with a grimace. “Is that true?”

Chrysalis met his gaze directly. “Yes.” she said.

“Then . . .”

“Probably not.”

“I see.” He removed his pipe momentarily. “Are you afraid?”

She hesitated for a long while before finally admitting, “I don’t know.”

“I have no qualms about staying.” He polished the pipe with his foreleg. “In case you . . . don’t want to be alone for it.”

Despite the grim shadow hanging over her, Chrysalis smiled. “You’re insane.”

“I’m not the only one.”

“I appreciate your offer,” Chrysalis said. “But no. You might not realize it, Doctor, but you might be the only one around here with a sturdy head on your shoulders. Who else is going to keep the princesses in line?”

Doctor Heart chuckled. “It’s been a pleasure, Chrysalis.”

“Yeah.” Chrysalis nodded. Popping the end of his pipe back in his mouth, Doctor Heart turned around and walked out of Celestia’s room. As the door closed behind him, Luna reappeared beside Chrysalis.

“There. I have said what I needed to say,” Luna explained.

A part of Chrysalis wanted to ask just what potentially final words the Princess had for her sister. And for a brief moment, Chrysalis regretted never having such an opportunity with her own sisters, as terrible as they were.

“Then what are you waiting for?” Chrysalis pointed to the door. “Go.”

Luna said nothing. Instead, she followed the Doctor out into the hallway.

Now, Chrysalis stood in Celestia’s bedchambers alone. Aside, of course, from the comatose alicorn in the bed beside her. With the nastier portions of her wounds healed, Celestia once again looked to be at peace.

“Can you hear me?” Chrysalis asked.

She didn’t get an answer. Had she been expecting one?

“Look, I don’t want you getting the wrong idea about this, alright? I’m not doing it for you.”

Chrysalis rounded the foot of the bed, stepping out of the moonlight.

“You know, it's actually kind of funny. After all this time, after all these years, I think I’ve finally come full circle.”

She knelt down at Celestia’s side.

“Another tale I wrote in blood. But this time, I know what I have to do.” The sheets wrinkled as she rested her head on the edge of the bed. “Twilight was strong. She put her duty above everything else. She’ll make a fine Queen someday.”

Chrysalis sniffled.

“But she’s still got some growing to do. I know she probably will never forgive me for this, but I know you’re the one she needs there with her. You should be the one who gets to see her all grown up.”

Bracing herself against the bed, Chrysalis rose. A pale viridian light began to blossom at the tip of her broken horn, casting the room in its glow.

“She deserves her happy ending. Every princess does.”

Magical energy started to gather around her. The furniture around the room started to rattle and scrape along the floor as reality itself started to ripple. Chrysalis straightened her shoulders, bowing her head and tilting the jagged tip of her horn toward the dying pony.

The walls shook. Dust clouds exploded where the stone walls tore. A storm of glass rained upon the gardens below as the windows shattered. It seemed like the castle itself was falling apart at the seams.

Chrysalis closed her eye, feeling the rhythm of the magic as it coursed through her. It burned. Like acid flowing through her veins. Her chitin cracked and crumbled away like ash.

She grit her teeth. In her mind's eye she saw Twilight.

She was smiling.

Goodbye, Twilight. I’ll always love you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight stirred. She could feel something cold and metallic shifting beneath her. Whatever it was, it seemed to be moving unevenly, with seemingly random bursts of time between movement. When she finally gathered enough of her strength to force her eyes open, she found herself staring at the floor. She could see Shining’s armored legs to either side. He carried her on his back as he limped through the castle corridors.

“Sh-Shi-S-Shining?” Twilight stuttered. Her lips didn’t move right. She could still feel the stinging on her neck. Chrysalis’ paralytic, no doubt.

“Twilight?” Shining’s ears perked up, but he neither turned nor stopped.

“Y-Yeah.” Twilight coughed. “Just having a little . . . a little trouble . . . talking.”

“You’re alive. That’s what matters.” Shining groaned and stumbled. “Chrysalis bit you.”

“I-I remember.” Twilight tried to turn her head, but her neck was still too stiff to move. “Where are you taking me?”

“I need to get you somewhere safe. Once you are, I’ll go find Doctor Heart or one of his nurses. One of them should be able to help before Chrysalis’ venom kills you.”

“It won’t kill me-e.”

Shining took another shaky step. “How do you know that?”

“It's pa-paralytic. She’s used it on me before.”

Twilight could feel Shining’s muscles tense and loosen as he shook his head. “I’m so sorry, Twily. I can only imagine what she must have done to you. But I won’t let her hurt you anymore.”

“Where is she?” Twilight’s deadened mind suppressed any sense of panic.

“She . . .” Shining scoffed. “She got away. She’s still sneaking around here somewhere. But don’t worry. I won’t rest until I–” Shining’s leg buckled. Twilight started to fall, but Shining reached back, catching her and holding her in place. His hoof felt oddly warm and sticky.

“Shiny?”

“I’m alright,” Shining said with obvious strain. “Just a little bump in the road.”

As Shining adjusted her back into position, Twilight caught a glimpse of his blood-soaked hoof. “Shiny, you’re hurt.”

“Don’t you worry about me. I’ve just got a few scratches.” He tried to laugh, but cut it off with a wheezing gasp. “I’m a soldier, remember? I’ll be fine.”

Twilight closed her eyes and let Shining carry her.

“Twilight?” Shining jostled her.

“W-What?” Twilight would have jumped if she could. “Why are . . . Why are you yelling?”

“Don’t you fall asleep on me. There’s no telling what that venom is doing to you.”

“Shining . . . her venom . . .” Twilight let her words trail off. How could she explain to her brother what she and Chrysalis had done? How could she tell him why Twilight knew what her venom could do? No. That was a memory she would keep private.

“Twilight?”

“I’m awake,” Twilight said.

“No. It’s not that,” Shining began. “I just wanted to . . . I guess I want to apologize.” He shifted Twilight’s weight up higher. “I know you really believed you loved Chrysalis. Even if it was all fake, it couldn’t have been easy for you to be betrayed like that.”

“What are you talking about?” Some feeling started flowing back into Twilight’s limbs.

“I know what it feels like when she takes control of you.” His voice was quiet. “You want to believe, you want her to love you. But as soon as she doesn’t need you anymore . . . she just tosses you aside. And even if it’s all fake, it still hurts.”

Twilight lowered her head. “Yeah. It does.”

“Don’t worry, though. We’ll get through this together.” His words were slurred.

“Shining, what’s wrong?” Twilight asked.

“I’m just feeling a little . . . don’t worry about me, I’m—“ Before he could finish, his hoof snagged on the carpet, tripping him over and sending Twilight tumbling a few feet farther before landing on her back. Her head fell in such a way that she could see Shining without having to strain her neck too hard.

Too injured to move, Shining just stayed on his knees, sucking in quick breaths through his teeth. Twilight waited for her head to stop spinning before she tried to crawl towards her brother. It seemed the paralytic had almost run its course. She wasn’t strong enough to stand yet, but she could reach out, grip the floor, and drag herself forward.

A few slow pulls later, Twilight made it to her brother’s side.

He had his head down. Cuts and bruises littered her brother’s chest. Occasionally, he would twitch, grasping at his side. Twilight reached out and took his hoof. At her touch, he lifted his head.

“Are you alright?” Shining asked.

“I’m not the one you should be worried about right now,” Twilight said, moving closer to inspect his wounds.

“Relax. I told you, they look worse than they are.” To prove his point, Shining planted one of his legs and used it as a crutch to drag himself to his hooves. He trembled like an earthquake, but he managed to stand on two legs. Then three. Then back onto four. “See?” He reached out to take Twilight’s hoof.

“Stop.” Twilight shook her head. “Just give me a minute.”

“We don’t have time to be sitting around. Chrysalis is still–” Shining was interrupted by the sound of thunderous hooves. The two of them glanced up to see a group of six or seven ponies stampeding through an adjacent hall. Based on their dressings, they must have been servants.

“Hey!” Twilight called out.

A few of the servants turned their heads toward the sound of their princess’ voice.

“Get over here. We need help,” Twilight ordered.

The servants didn’t hesitate to hurry to her aid. Two of them took her front legs and helped her stand.

“Princess Twilight? Princess Luna was looking for you. She’s evacuating the castle.”

“She what?” Twilight asked.

Another servant piped up, this one a bespoke stallion. “She said the castle is under attack. She’s dealing with it now, but she ordered the castle evacuated just in case.”

“It’s a good thing we found you, Princess,” The first servant said. “We need to get you to safety.” As they started to pull her away, another pair of servants tended to Shining Armor, using their uniforms as makeshift bandages. “We’ll get you both out of here safe, Your Highness.”

Both servants pulled, but Twilight held her ground and shook her head. “No. You said the castle is under attack? By who? I need to find Princess Luna.”

“She didn’t say who was attacking,” one servant said.

“Last we saw her, she was up near Princess Celestia’s chambers,” said another.

“But it’s too dangerous, Princess, you need to get–”

“Don’t worry about me. Get Shining to safety. I’ll make sure Princess Luna is safe.”

“But–”

“That’s an order!” Twilight stamped her hoof, silencing her underlings. “And whatever you do, make sure The Captain gets out safely.” They exchanged a few concerned glances, but did as they were told. Four of the servants lifted Shining and started to take him away. The remaining ones gave one last glance to their Princess before following the others away. Even as they did, Twilight could hear Shining trying to object.

On her own again, Twilight’s muscles relaxed. The venom had released its hold on her legs, but still kept her wings pinned to her side. That would have to do for now. With an awkward gait, she walked over to the window. Storm clouds had rolled in. They were flashing with green lightning. Now that Twilight’s senses were under her control, she could feel the massive energy spike emanating from the upper levels.

“Chrysalis? You idiot,” she growled.

She dropped down from the windowsill and started for the stairs. By the time she reached the first flight, her legs were as good as new. Three floors higher, her wings uncurled. After testing them with a few practice flaps, she jumped, taking to the air and soaring up through the spiraling staircase.

The closer she got, the stronger the magic felt. At this close range, it radiated enough power to overwhelm Twilight’s senses. It reached the point where casting her own magic became nearly impossible with the interference. By the time she reached the top of the stairs, it had grown strong enough to give her a twitch.

As she soared into the hallway, she could see Celestia’s chamber. Green light flooded out from under the door, giving the room a radioactive glow. Though she didn’t see Luna, Twilight did see a figure sitting just outside the door.

“Doctor Heart?” Twilight asked, rushing to his side.

“Princess? I was wondering when you’d show up.” The cigarette in his mouth bobbed up and down as he spoke, its orange tip waving like a lightning bug in the dark.

“Are you hurt?”

“No.”

The storm on the other side of the wall made conversation difficult, forcing them to shout to hear one another.

“Then you need to get out of here,” Twilight ordered.

The doctor plucked out his cigarette and blew a puff of smoke off to the side. “I think I’m quite comfortable right here, Princess.”

“What?” Twilight groaned. She didn’t have time for this. Backing away from the doctor, she instead went for the chamber door. She grabbed the handle. The moment her hoof touched the brass handle, it released a shockwave of energy, stunning Twilight momentarily.

“You can’t get in,” Doctor Heart said.

Twilight glared at him. “I have to.”

He shrugged. She went for the handle again, only to be struck with a stronger hit than before. She stumbled back from the door, the tip of her hoof billowing black smoke.

“I told you,” Doctor Heart said. “She wants to be alone.”

“No!” Twilight stomped against the door as hard as she could, but the wood held steady. “She’s making the wrong choice! This isn’t what I wanted! I won’t let her die for this! Not after . . . not after everything she said!” Twilight propelled herself forward, slamming her shoulder into the door hard enough that it left a bruise on her.

“I think she’s made up her mind.” Doctor Heart blew another puff of smoke.

“If you cared about her, then you’d help me open this door,” Twilight screamed, tears in her eyes as she hit the door against and again. Until blood started to drip down the undamaged wood. Until her vision was obscured by pain and tears that the world became just a blur. Until her body collapsed.

Her body failed. Her magic failed. She could feel the final surge of energy building inside the bedroom. It was too late. She collapsed, sobbing against the door, as though it might open to pity her.

“Please. She doesn’t deserve this,” Twilight whispered. “I don’t want to lose her.”

She felt a hoof on her shoulder. Her head turned just enough to see Doctor Heart standing over her. Though his face was lined in shadows, he looked like he’d aged a few years since the last time Twilight saw him.

“I’m sorry, Princess.”

“No. No. No.” Her mantra repeated, each time paired with a futile punch against the door.

Then, Twilight felt the magical shockwave rip through the world around her. Everything went quiet as the roar of an explosion tore through her, consuming her completely in a blinding green flash.

And then it was over.

“Please, I can’t lose her again.”

PreviousChapters Next