• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
61: It'll Be Her Choice To Make

Chrysalis trotted down the hallway. Or rather, she tried to. Without her prosthetic, it must have been a strange scene to see, the once-feared changeling queen tripping and stumbling over herself as she struggled to do something as simple as walking. She growled under her breath. This was humiliating.

At the very least, she recognized some of the paintings around here. Based on that particular portrait of Celestia hanging on the wall, Chrysalis was only a few turns from her tower. Her anger flared impotently. She hated the fact that she was learning to navigate the castle. Had she even been here that long?

As she passed, she tilted the painting, forcing it to hang crooked on its nail. That insignificant act of defiance did little to settle her spirits, but it still made her smile, just a bit.

Her sense of direction had been correct. Around the next corner, she came face-to-face with . . . Shining Armor. He stood between her and her bedroom door, tapping his hoof. With a shaking hoof, she let go of the wall and inched forward.

“What do you want?” She asked, looking the soldier up and down.

Shining Armor snapped to attention. “I’m here to talk.”

“That so?” Chrysalis shoved Shining Armor aside and continued into her bedroom.

“Didn’t you hear me? I said that we needed to talk,” he barked.

“Oh, no, I heard you. In fact . . .” Chrysalis spun around to face him. “I believe I was the one that told you that this morning. And – I am just drawing a blank here – what was it you said?”

“I–”

“Oh!” Chrysalis jabbed his chestplate with a hoof. “I remember now. You threw me out.”

“Look, I . . .” Shining growled under his breath. “I shouldn’t have done that.”

“You really shouldn’t have. It was quite rude.”

“However . . .” Shining tugged at his collar.

“Let me guess, your wife explained to you that the whole thing was her idea?” Chrysalis suggested.

“That was . . . a part of it.”

“And the rest?”

“I saw the trail of blood you left outside my office this morning.”

“Oh.” Chrysalis felt a cold touch in her cheeks.

“Yeah.” Shining coughed. “Look, I’ll admit that my attitude this morning was a little rough. But I’m ready to talk now, if you’re so willing.”

“Alright. Then speak.”

Shining shook his head. “Not here. There’s something important we need to discuss, and it’s not safe to do so in the castle.” He turned back into the hallway. “Follow me. I know someplace private we can talk.”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. “Fine. But if this is a waste of my time, you’re going to carry me back to this room. Just so we’re clear.”

“Right.” Shining nodded slowly. He started to walk away.

With one last longing glance over her shoulder at her bed, Chrysalis followed.

Shining led her out into the gardens. Every guard they passed watched the duo with a concerned side-eye, but none of them seemed to have any interest in questioning their captain. The garden path led into a hedge maze. The living walls stood nearly twice Chrysalis' height, blocking out her view of anything aside from the castle’s tallest towers and playing havoc with her sense of direction.

At the very least, the path appeared far too narrow for an effective ambush.

“Here we are,” Shining said as the duo finally reached the end of the maze. There, a set of concrete stairs led up to a large, circular stone area. She followed Shining up the path, to a balcony overlooking the valley. A few benches were set near the edges, with only a brass rail standing between them and a long fall.

Shining stopped at one of the benches and pulled himself into a seated position. The creaking wood was barely audible over the natural ambiance.

Chrysalis continued past him, stepping up the rail. From here, she could see the waterfall on the mountain beside them. She raised her front hooves up onto the rail, feeling the night’s icy chill in her mane and listening to the dull rumble of the falling water.

“That was a bit of a walk. Hope you have something important to say,” Chrysalis said. As she spoke, she watched the waterfall. It careened into mist below before emptying out into a lake that, at this height, appeared nothing more than a shallow puddle.

“I do.” Shining cleared his throat. “I did some thinking this morning, and I came to a realization.” His voice sounded hoarse and hesitant. “And that realization is why we needed to have our conversation all the way out here. I’m letting you go.”

Chrysalis spat out a laugh. “You’re what?”

“I said I’m letting you go,” Shining repeated. “I want you gone by morning.”

“Shining Armor, you have said many stupid things in your life. But this might be a new low for you.” She turned to face him, leaning her back against the railing. “And I’m sure, of course, you made sure to get the Princess’ opinions on this?”

“Don’t see much of a point.”

“How rebellious of you.”

“Don’t get all high and mighty on me, Chrysalis.” Shining leaned forward, narrowing his gaze. “Celestia’s dying, Twilight is convinced she’s in love with you, Luna’s taking your side, and now you’ve even got Cadance doubting herself.” He shrugged. “Don’t you get it? You’ve already won. No point in drawing it out any further.”

“You know what, screw you.” Chrysalis tightened her grip on the rail.

“What?” Shining stood. “I thought you’d be happy. We both get exactly what we wanted. You get to walk away a free mare, and I get you out of my life. Sounds pretty fair to me.”

“Don’t pretend you know anything about me or what I want.” Chrysalis said, her voice dropping down to a growl. “You know nothing of what I’ve been through. Of what I’ve suffered. Of what I’ve lost.”

Shining leapt forward. “Don’t you sit there and talk to me about what you’ve lost. You tried to take everything from me.”

“And look where that’s led you. A loving wife. A beautiful daughter. A kingdom. A family.” The metal rail buckled in Chrysalis’ grasp. “I did what I believed needed to be done. For the sake of my hive. For my children. And what did I get for it? A knife in the back. My children threw me aside. My kingdom is nothing more than ruins, buried beneath a destroyed mountain.”

Chrysalis bit down hard, struggling to fight the shakiness in her voice, the tears on the verge of welling in her eyes.

“When death came for me, I welcomed it. But your precious princess couldn’t even let me die on my own terms.” Chrysalis tore a chunk out of the railing. “Instead, I was chained up and dragged to this damned castle against my will where I have been continuously threatened and attacked.

“And now, a single pony can’t show me a shred of empathy without it being my fault, without it being some grand, villainous conspiracy.” Chrysalis stomped forward, brandishing the hunk of broken metal. Shining stepped back, keeping his eye on her makeshift weapon. “I don’t know why your sister cares about me. And I don’t care. What I do know is that I finally have one good thing in my life worth fighting for, and I won’t stand here idly while you try to take it away from me!”

Chrysalis reared back, raising her weapon high above her head. Shining’s horn glowed with magic, ready for a fight, only for Chrysalis to slam her weapon down, impaling the jagged edge in the concrete. “So, no,” Chrysalis said through her panting. “I haven’t won.” She turned her back on Shining Armor, instead returning her attention to the gorgeous view and serene atmosphere. “And no matter what you say, I have no intention of leaving.”

Her voice faded into the silence.

Though she could still feel Shining’s gaze on her, she didn’t care. If the soldier had anything to say in response, it was lost, to a new voice in the conversation.

“Am I interrupting?” Luna asked as she glided down from the night sky.

“No, Princess Luna.” Shining’s magic faded out. “Chrysalis and I were just talking.”

“Is that so?” Luna placed herself firmly between the other two ponies. “Captain, I have heard word that some of your underlings are wandering around the castle, searching for you. Perhaps you ought to return to your duties.”

“Of course, Princess.” Shining cleared his throat and took a step back. “I’ll handle that just as soon as I escort our prisoner back to her room.”

“That will not be necessary, Captain Armor.” Luna folded in her wings and laid down on the nearest bench. “I will take care of our guest.” She pulled one of her hooves free, using it to prop her head up.

“Very well.” Shining took another few steps back. “I’ll leave you to that, then.” Without another word, the captain turned and disappeared into the hedge maze. Once enough time had passed for him to be out of earshot, Chrysalis was first to speak.

“What do you want, Luna?”

“Me?” Luna chuckled. “I was simply out for a nighttime stroll when I overheard you and Captain Armor’s . . . conversation. I figured it would be best if I were to intervene before the two of you decided to wreck my gardens any further.”

Chrysalis’ eye fell upon the twisted remains of the railing beside her.

Luna continued. “Not that I blame you for reacting the way you did.”

With Shining Armor gone, Chrysalis could finally let the sounds of the night overtake her. The running water. The chirping crickets. Even the coolness of the night air against her shell. All of these things together left her feeling at peace. Likewise, it left her at the mercy of the overwhelming sense of fatigue she had accrued over the past few hours.

“It is quite lovely out here,” Chrysalis admitted.

The sound of Luna shuffling on the bench behind her drew her focus. The alicorn now sat upright with her wings outstretched. She tapped at the open seat on the bench beside her. “Come over here, Chrysalis. Sit with me.”

Against her instincts and better judgment, Chrysalis took Luna up on the offer.

“See? Is the night not wonderful?” Luna asked. Chrysalis didn’t disagree. “By the way, I heard what you said. About Twilight.”

Chrysalis frowned. “What about it?”

One good thing in my life worth fighting for,” Luna repeated. “Your exact words. I think Twilight would be happy to know you feel so strongly towards her, if nothing else.”

“Are you going to blame me for the way she feels as well?” Chrysalis asked. Though she hadn’t intended it, her voice became quiet, bordering on sadness. “Because it isn't my fault. I didn’t do anything to her.”

“I know.” Luna’s wing wrapped around Chrysalis’ shoulder. The dark feathers, despite their light weight, fell on the changelings like a heavy blanket, removing the hard edge of the cold. “But can you really blame Shining Armor for his feelings on the subject? After all, from his point of view, she fell in love with you over the course of a few days. That is not so different from what you did to him, once.”

“But you think otherwise?” Chrysalis asked, giving Luna a sideways glance.

“Because I know the truth.” Luna paused. Several times, she opened her mouth to speak again, only to close it without a word. “I do not know if it is my place to speak on this matter. Has Twilight told you of the dream she experienced when we were taken by the Nightmare?”

Chrysalis chuckled morosely. “She told me that she dreamt of me.”

“But her dream did not start that way.” Luna leaned back on the bench, staring up into the stars. “Instead, her dream began as a mirror of our world, identical, save for one small exception. In her dream, she cured Celestia.” She paused. “Chrysalis, dreams are a medium through which ponies try to understand the world around them. And in this case, with Celestia saved, Twilight focused on a new problem.”

“And what problem is that?” Chrysalis asked.

“You.” Luna turned toward her. “With everything going on, Twilight never had a moment to think about what would happen to you after your work was done. But in her dream, that is exactly what she was forced to confront.”

“And how did that turn out for her?” Chrysalis stared off into the distance.

“She took you under her wing. Tried to help you rebuild your life.” Another pause. “And in the process, Twilight realized something about you. That, deep beneath your rough exterior, you were not the villain she thought you were.” Luna shifted, wrapping her wing tighter around Chrysalis. “I watched as the two of you became friends. But then you became something more. Twilight realized just how much she cared for you. How much she enjoyed being with you.”

“But it wasn’t me,” Chrysalis said. “I told her as much.”

“I do not think that is quite true.” Luna shrugged. “While it may not have been you exactly, it was the culmination of everything Twilight understands about you. Your past. Your personality. I think you owe her more credit for her observational skills. Because even after everything you did to her and to all of Equestria, she found enough good in you that she managed to fall in love with you.”

“You really think so?” Chrysalis asked, trying her best to avoid Luna’s gaze.

Luna nodded. “I do. But that leads me to a more important point.” She took Chrysalis’ hoof. “Dreams will always end. And equally as certain, ponies who wake from their dreams will eventually forget them. I think you have already started to notice that with Twilight.”

Chrysalis had noticed. “You’re telling me that Twilight will forget that she fell in love with me?” The thought stung more than she thought it would.

But then Luna smiled. “That is why I decided to tell you all of this. Because yes, Twilight will forget her dream. She’ll forget the life that she built alongside that dream version of you. But she will not forget the love that she felt for you. That has become a part of her.”

For what felt like the first time in a long time, Chrysalis felt a weight lift from her shoulders. But along with that relief, came a question: “Why are you telling me all of this, Luna?”

The alicorn pursed her lips as she thought about the question. “I suppose you can consider it a warning. Twilight did fall in love with you. But in a few days, she won’t remember why. She won’t understand what drives these feelings towards you. And that will lead to a dangerous road for the both of you.”

“She loves me, but she doesn’t know why.” Chrysalis shook her head. “That’s what you meant earlier? About Shining Armor not knowing the truth?”

“Partly. It is true that many will not understand how Twilight fell for you. And many of them will put the blame on you. That you twisted her mind just as you did to Shining Armor. But that is not the only danger.” Luna released Chrysalis’ hoof and instead cupped it around the changeling’s chin, forcing their eyes to meet. “When Twilight forgets about the life she built with you, she’ll go looking for answers. And that may very well lead her to you. She will ask you about it, in hopes that you can provide her the answers she seeks. And it will be up to you to decide what answer you have for her.”

Chrysalis blinked. “Can’t I just tell her about the dream? Or send her to you?”

“You can.” Luna’s grip on Chrysalis tightened. “But that is up to you to decide. I know the darkness you’re capable of. You will hold Twilight’s future in your hooves, and you will be able to twist her however you see fit.” Luna’s voice became eerily soft. “And when that time comes, I can only pray that Twilight is right to trust you. And that I am right to trust her.”

“Twilight put her faith in me,” Chrysalis growled. “I won’t let her down.”

“I hope not.” Luna finally released her grip.

Chrysalis pulled herself free. Without Luna to hold her steady, though, she felt light-headed. The world around her started to spin. “Why are you telling me all of this? Why not tell Twilight?” She asked.

Luna stood, freeing Chrysalis from her wing. She started to walk toward the castle.

Now back in control of herself, Chrysalis stood, too. She tried to follow Luna, but only managed a few steps before her vision started to darken. “What game are you playing, Princess? If you don’t trust me, why are you letting me choose?”

Luna stopped. “Because, more than anypony else, I understand the hardships that you will face. Because I know how tempting the easy path can be when faced with the bitterness and hatred of thousands of ponies. Because I know that if you ever want to start building your new life, this is a choice that you will have to make for yourself.”

Chrysalis’ body buckled beneath her. “What did you . . .” Chrysalis' words failed her as she lowered her head to the ground. She could imagine the smirk on Luna’s face.

“You are exhausted,” Luna said. Her voice shimmered through the air like the sweetest lullaby. “Close your eyes and rest now, Chrysalis.”

Exhaustion finally overwhelmed the changeling.

PreviousChapters Next