• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
64: Snake Oil

Chrysalis led Twilight through the hallways and down the many flights of stairs to the ground level. Consistent with her behavior the last few days, she made it about halfway before her leg started to bother her again.

“You’re starting to limp again,” Twilight said.

Chrysalis glanced back over her shoulder. “That’s sort of a packaged deal with the whole ‘missing leg’ thing,” Chrysalis said back, straightening her gait.

“I told you that you didn’t have to do this.”

“And I told you that I wouldn’t miss this. Besides, it’s just a little bit of pain, Twilight, there’s nothing to get so concerned over.”

Their journey to the bottom of the stairwell played out in silence. At every level they passed, Twilight glanced out the window to see the sun fading quickly. She felt a familiar sense of dread gnawing at her as the light died.

Eventually, they reached their destination, the back entrance into the Throne Room. Raven stood guard at the open doorway, his thick black fur causing him to blend with the shadows. As Twilight and Chrysalis approached, he raised a hoof, motioning for them to stop before putting that same hoof to his mouth in a gesture of silence.

“You kept us waiting, Princess Luna.”

Ruby. Even if she couldn’t see him, his voice grated on Twilight’s nerves.

“This may come as a surprise to you, Lord Ruby, but there are many things that require my attention far more than listening to you belittle the crown and the court.”

And Luna. She sounded tired.

“Perhaps if the current crown were up to par, I wouldn’t have to.”

“If you have something to say, then say it.”

Ruby chuckled. “I’ve simply come to inform you that my petition to invoke the Daybreak Protocol has gathered all the support it needs. Our lawyers are drawing up the fine print as we speak.”

Luna sighed. “Then you have simply come here to gloat?”

“No, Your Grace.” That was a different voice. A mare. One Twilight didn’t recognize. “Me and my husband have come here tonight to give you one last chance to change your mind.”

“And why would you do that?” Luna asked.

“You are not a fool, Princess.” The mare again. Twilight squeezed her eyes shut, trying desperately to remember the name of Lord Ruby’s wife. If memory served, her name was Sapphire. “You know as well as the rest of us that the invocation of the Daybreak Protocol will leave a lasting mark on the throne of Equestria. It will cause ponies to doubt Equestria’s leadership. We know that isn’t what you want.”

“Hmm.” Luna took a deep breath. “I understand your concern. But this is not a matter that I can so carelessly change my opinion on.”

“I told you this was pointless, Sapphire.” Lord Ruby again. At the very least, Twilight felt a twinge of pride at remembering the mare’s name.

“Ruby, would you let me handle this?”

“There’s nothing to handle, Dear. It’s quite obvious that Princess Luna has made up her mind on the matter. Quite frankly, I’m not surprised. It’s not her throne, after all, what should she care if its good name is tarnished.”

“You always did have a way with words, Lord Ruby.”

Luna’s voice sounded calm, but Twilight knew that comment must have stung. A moment of silence permeated the Hall. Twilight could see Raven’s eye twitching as he snarled. Twilight stepped forward and put a hoof on his shoulder. He jumped at her touch, as though he’d forgotten about her presence.

“Don’t act so coy about all this, Princess. In over a thousand years of rule, Princess Celestia never once needed us to resort to extreme measures. Because she understood that the well-being of Equestria came first. That the well-being of her ponies came first.”

“I have heard enough, Lord Ruby–”

“And then you come waltzing in here after centuries of exile and take the side of one of Equestria’s greatest villains over that of her own citizens.”

“Lord Ruby–”

“You proclaim yourself a Princess of Equestria, but you aren’t. You aren’t even fit to be your sister’s shadow–”

“That. Is. Enough.”

Despite Luna’s voice being barely a whisper, it shook the castle. And Twilight wasn’t the only one to notice it. It even managed to shut up Lord Ruby.

“I will not sit here and be berated by a nobleman appointed by the very throne he seeks to discredit.” The sound of clashing hooves echoed as Luna rose from her throne. “You claim that I do not take the side of Equestria? That I do not care for her citizens?” The fur on Twilight’s body stood on end. “It would seem that, during my absence, my sister has grown soft. You seem to think the Princess serves as nothing more than a servant for her citizens. But you are wrong.”

The night felt freezing cold.

“Understand this, Lord Ruby. My job is not to foalsit whining nobles and listen to them second-guess my commands. I am here to shape and guide Equestria as it grows, to show her subjects what is right and hold them to that standard. It is my task to build a country where all are welcome, a beacon for the rest of the world to look to in times of trouble. And I will work to that end until the day I cease to draw breath.

“So continue to believe yourself above the crown, Nobleman. Continue to flaunt the power my sister gave you. But if you continue to stand it my way, if you continue to drag Equestria down a path of elitism and anger, then I will not hesitate to do everything within my power to remove you from your position.”

Silence.

Twilight could see her breath.

“So bring your papers to me. Challenge the throne and see what wounds you can inflict upon it. But do so with the knowledge that there will be repercussions if you continue to abuse the power my sister lent you. Am I understood, Lord Ruby?”

“O-Of course, Princess.”

“Good. Then get out of my court.”

Twilight heard the Hall doors creak open.

After a short time, Luna spoke again. “The rest of you are dismissed.”

Dozens of ponies filed out and the doors closed again. Raven finally stepped aside and allowed Twilight through. She bounded up the stairs to the throne. As she reached the top, she saw Luna slumped down in her seat, her eyes closed. Twilight didn’t think twice. She galloped forward and grabbed Luna by the shoulder, pulling her in for a tight hug.

“Huh? Twilight?” The temperature ticked up a few degrees.

“Not just Twilight,” Chrysalis said as she hauled herself up the steps.

“What are the two of you doing here?” Luna spared a glance toward the empty room. “And how much of that did you hear?”

Chrysalis shrugged. “Enough.”

“Ahh.” Luna cleared her throat.

“You don’t deserve to be talked down to and insulted like that,” Twilight said, squeezing Luna. “Those two were completely out of line. You’re a fantastic Princess.”

“I appreciate the vote of confidence.” Luna patted Twilight’s back. “Now would either of you mind explaining what it is you are doing down here? It seems a little late for a stroll.”

“Oh, right!” Twilight released Luna and stepped back. “I almost forgot. We came to tell you that the second iteration of Celestia’s cure is finished. And I’m sure it’ll work this time.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. A weight seemed to lift from her shoulder, though not completely. “That is fantastic news, Twilight.”

“Yeah.” Twilight smiled. “I thought you’d want to be there when we use it.”

“I would quite like to be there. Thank you for bringing this news to me.” Luna leaned her head back and drew in a deep breath. “Then what are we waiting for? I will make my way to my sister’s chambers. I shall tell Doctor Heart. We will wait for you there.”

“Right.” Twilight nodded enthusiastically. “Come on, Chrysalis. There’s no time to waste.” Twilight didn’t even bother with the stairs, instead taking a running leap from the edge of the throne pedestal and letting her wings carry her down.

“Well, she certainly seems excited,” Chrysalis noted before turning and starting down the staircase. She caught up to Twilight at the base of the stairwell leading back upstairs. For her part, Twilight appeared to be almost shaking. It took all of her restraint just to keep her pace slowed to match Chrysalis’.

“You don’t have to wait for me, you know?” Chrysalis said once she finally caught up.

“I’m not going to leave you alone.” Twilight smiled.

“How about this, then?” Chrysalis made it up only half the way up the first flight before Twilight soared past her. “My leg is starting to feel a little stiff. So why don’t you make the long trek back up to the lab, and I’ll go ahead and wait for you alongside Luna.”

“Fine.” Twilight nodded. “Sounds like a plan. Don’t take too long.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Chrysalis said with a smile.

Without further argument, Twilight rocketed up the empty column in the center of the stairwell. The windows rattled as she blasted past.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“When they arrive, have the papers sent down to Inkwell. She will know the proper method of verifying each signature. Tell her to take as long as she needs to. Oh, and apologize for waking her, on my behalf.” Luna dismissed Crow and Raven with a wave of her hoof.

“Sounds like you’ve got everything under control here.” Chrysalis wandered out from the shadows back into the Throne Room. The Lunar guards nodded to her as they passed, a gesture she returned in kind.

“Chrysalis?” Luna glanced down from her throne. “I thought you were supposed to be accompanying Twilight?”

“I hate to admit it, but with my leg like this, I’m not sure I can keep up with her right now.”

Luna glided down to stand beside her. “Yes. I understand Twilight can get a little . . . impatient when she is excited.”

“A trait she shares with your sister, if I’m not mistaken.” Chrysalis raised her eyebrow.

“You are not mistaken.” Luna chuckled.

“What’s more concerning to me is why you aren’t so excited. You’re going to get your sister back, aren’t you?”

Luna stepped past Chrysalis and stopped, motioning for the changeling to follow her as they started up the stairs. “Do not misunderstand me, I will be quite thrilled if Twilight’s cure works.”

“You have doubts about it?” Chrysalis asked.

“About Twilight’s cure working? No.”

“But you are doubting something?”

“I am. I believe her cure will work. But I’m afraid that it still might not be enough to save Celestia.” Luna stared out the window as they passed. Her stars were twinkling into life outside. “And that is just the first item on a long list of my troubles.”

Chrysalis snorted. “I heard. It would seem Lord Ruby might have underestimated your temper.”

“Do not even speak his name.” Luna shook her head. “I fear you might summon him and I already have quite the migraine.” She sighed. “And tonight certainly did not help with that.”

“If it’s any consolation, that was quite the display you put on,” Chrysalis offered.

“As much as I appreciate your . . .” She frowned as she trailed off. “Regardless of what you think, I doubt it will help broker peace between the nobles and myself. But, I suppose that is the consequence of letting my temper run wild.”

“I’ve seen your temper run wild,” Chrysalis laughed. “And I don’t think that was it.” She sighed. “If anything, I think you were right.”

“Yours is not the most encouraging endorsement,” Luna muttered. “No offense.”

“Some taken.”

The two of them made it about halfway to Celestia’s room before Chrysalis sat. Luna said nothing, but stopped with her nonetheless.

Chrysalis made herself comfortable on the bottom step. “Luna, can I ask you something?”

“You may ask. I may not answer.”

“Why are you doing all of this?”

Luna wrinkled her muzzle. “This?”

“Back there, you still chose to protect me. Why?”

“Would you prefer I did not?” Luna asked, leaning up against the wall opposite Chrysalis.

“It would certainly save you quite a bit of trouble. It would put you on better terms with your subjects.” Chrysalis tilted her head. “I’m sure Twilight wouldn’t be thrilled, but she’d get over it. And it’s not as though you actually like me. So, why? Why are you going through all this trouble to protect me?”

“I thought I made that quite clear the other night. As much as it pains me, we are not all that different.”

“No. There’s more to it than that.”

Luna turned her gaze down to the floor. “When I returned, my ponies hated me. I was a villain of legend, just like you. And it was Twilight that rescued me.” Luna scoffed. “I still remember the night I returned. Twilight was the one who defeated me, just as my sister had so long ago. And even once I was myself again, she was the first to help me adjust, to help me find my place in a world that had left me behind so long ago.”

“Sounds familiar,” Chrysalis said.

“It should.” Luna met Chrysalis' gaze for only a moment before turning away to continue. “That night, when she helped me reconnect with my ponies, she reminded me of my sister. She reminded me of what a Princess should be.” She closed her eyes. “And that memory has stuck with me, no matter how hard I tried to forget.”

Chrysalis narrowed her eye. “Forget?”

“I hated living in my sister’s shadow. It was the very reason I rebelled against her. I was always second to her. I thought I could finally move past those thoughts once I had returned to my throne. But it did not take long for me to realize the truth. I am not Celestia’s second anymore.” She shook her head. “I am not even her third.”

Chrysalis nodded. “You were jealous of her.”

“Perhaps.”

“And now?”

“Honestly, I do not know. I tried to deny it. And that ended with me almost bringing Equestria to ruin. Instead, I decided to embrace it. She was right. She usually is. I did not want to accept that. I was a fool.”

“So, you’re protecting me because you trust Twilight more than yourself?”

“I suppose that is another way to put it.”

The two sat in silence for some time. Once the pain in her leg subsided, Chrysalis rose and started up the stairs again. She only made it two steps before she stopped again.

“Luna?”

“What?”

“Thank you.”

Luna recoiled. “For what? I told you, I was not doing it for your sake.”

“No. You were doing it for Twilight’s. That’s why I’m thanking you. We both know I don’t have much time left. And when I’m gone, I don’t know how she’ll react.”

“Gone?” Luna stepped up to Chrysalis’ side. “Are you planning an escape?”

“No. But you’re not naive. One way or another, I won’t be staying much longer. And once I’m gone . . .”

“I already intended to do my best to take care of her. That is not something you need to ask of me.”

Chrysalis nodded. “Right. Just make sure she doesn’t do something stupid, alright?”

“I will do my best.”

“Thank you.”

Together, they continued onward towards Celestia’s chambers and waited for Twilight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight stopped outside of Celestia’s room. The guards were missing from their posts, leaving the Princess all alone as she struggled to catch her breath. She was shaking. Her legs were trembling under the weight of the tiny glass vial in her bag.

With a deep breath, she pushed the doors open, drawing a tired groan from the old oak. Luna sat by her sister’s side, slowly guiding a brush through the alicorn’s rainbow locks. Doctor Heart was rummaging through his bag and laying out instruments in what appeared to be a cleaning solution. By the fireplace opposite them, Chrysalis was warming herself.

“Is everypony ready?” Twilight asked, slipping the bottle from her bag.

Luna and Heart nodded. Chrysalis rose from where she was lying and moved to Twilight’s side. “Are you ready?”

“About as ready as I’m ever going to be,” Twilight said back with a twitchy smile.

Each step closer to Celestia felt heavier than the last. And when her gaze finally fell on the wounded alicorn, she bit her hoof to stifle a scream. Celestia, once an Equestrian symbol of grace and beauty, had been reduced to nothing but a husk. Bare patches in her fur gave way to skin pale enough to almost be translucent. Her blackened wound had spread, its gnarled fingers wrapping around her body like a spider’s web. Several of the branches had split open, weeping their own blackening blood across her body.

Twilight gagged and tried to step back, only to stumble into Chrysalis.

The changeling said nothing, but put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder to steady her.

Twilight glanced over her shoulder. Despite the changeling’s stony expression, she could feel a sense of calm emanating from her, washing over Twilight like a warm bath. It stopped neither her trembling nor the sickening clench of her gut. It only kept her from backing away further.

“Right.” Twilight closed her eyes and counted her breaths. “Let’s do this.”

She lifted the potion bottle over the bed and popped the cork from the neck. Compared to the silence, it sounded like cannonfire. Twilight’s magic swirled the concoction, causing the pink liquid to glow. And then she tilted it, pouring out a thin strand directly over Celestia’s open flank.

As the mixture met Celestia’s tainted flesh, it hissed. It was the same noise that Chrysalis’ chitin had produced under the potion’s effects. Luna winced as the broth bubbled over, streaming down Celestia’s body in little pink rivulets.

“Is it supposed to make that noise?” Luna asked.

“It’s mixing with my magic,” Chrysalis explained. “It shouldn’t hurt a pony.”

“Are you sure about that?”

Neither Chrysalis nor Twilight answered. They just watched as the medicine took its time. After a few seconds, the sound of searing skin stopped. Twilight felt Chrysalis’ hoof take her own. She closed her eyes and leaned up against the changeling’s side.

“Well, I’ll be . . .” Doctor Heart murmured.

His words snapped Luna out of her thoughts. “Is something happening, Doctor?”

“It would seem so. Take a look right there.” He pointed Luna toward one of the pink lines that had dripped down onto the bed sheets.

Luna’s eyes widened.

“What is that?”

“Let me see,” Twilight said, releasing Chrysalis’ hoof and circling around to see. She looked where the doctor had motioned, but it took a minute before she finally understood what had caught his attention.

“Well? Don’t keep me in suspense?” Chrysalis said.

“I think it’s working!” Twilight gasped. Every ounce of tension in her body vanished.

In the pink puddle of medicine, a few scraps of the darkened flesh were melting away, leaving the venom within to mix with the medicine, forming a slate-gray ooze. It took another few minutes before the effect became clearer, as the darker parts of Celestia’s wounds fell away, revealing healthy flesh beneath.

“It almost looks like your cure is mixing with the venom,” Doctor Heart noted, leaning in for a closer look. “And once they mix, it cancels out Chrysalis’ magic. It’s . . . it’s definitely a sight to see.”

“Then it worked?” Chrysalis asked, raising her brow.

Doctor Heart turned away and cleared his throat. “Well, it would appear that way. But I’d say that we ought to give it an hour or two before we start hanging up banners for a party.” To make his point, Heart stepped back and made himself comfortable in the chair behind him. But even as he relaxed, he kept an eye on Celestia and his tools at the ready.

Twilight rocketed back around the foot of the bed, hitting Chrysalis like a sack of bricks.

“Easy there, Twilight,” Chrysalis groaned, grabbing onto the bed frame to save her.

“It’s working!” Twilight cried, mashing her tear-ridden muzzle into Chrysalis’ chest. “It’s finally over. We–”

“What did I just say about getting your hopes up, Princess?” Doctor Heart interjected.

“Oh, right. Sorry.” Twilight backed away from Celestia and wiped her tears.

Chrysalis shot the doctor a glare. “When did you become such a pessimist? Isn’t she due at least a little happiness after everything she’s been through recently?”

The doctor mumbled something under his breath as he shook his head.

“No, he’s right. I shouldn’t get my hopes up until we’re sure.” Twilight tossed Chrysalis a sideways smile. “I’ve just got to wait a little bit longer.”

Twilight and Chrysalis shuffled off toward the fireplace. As Twilight laid down on the rug, it felt softer than before. The heat from the fire felt warmer than before, its light chasing away even more of the shadows than usual. They lay there, silent, save for Twilight’s occasional sniffle. Even as she smiled, she continued to wipe tears from her eyes.

There was no noise in the night except for the crackling of burning firewood.

And then Luna spoke up. “Doctor?”

“I see it.”

“Did something change?” Twilight asked, bolting upright. “Did it work?”

“Yeah. Your cure worked.” Doctor Heart scratched his chin. But a nagging voice in the back of Twilight’s head made a suggestion. It dropped into her stomach like a stone.

“If it worked,” she asked slowly. “Then shouldn’t you sound happier?”

Doctor Heart gave Luna a sideways glance.

Luna nodded in response.

Twilight swallowed hard. “Is something wrong? I thought you’d all be happier that Celestia is back?” Over a dozen scenarios rampaged through Twilight’s skull, each one cascading down her spine like an icy claw.

“Perhaps you should come see for yourself.” Luna suggested, still brushing out her sister’s mane.

Twilight pulled away from Chrysalis, hurrying to Celestia’s side. There could be no doubt that her cure worked. The black sludge that had burdened the alicorn for so long had been almost completely cleared away, most of it being reduced to a quickly-drying gray stain on the sheets. Her skin regained some of its color. Her wounds no longer appeared infected.

“It worked,” Twilight said, glancing back and forth between Luna and Doctor Heart.

“I’d wager it did,” Doctor Heart agreed, picking his old joints up and out of the chair. “I’ll have to run some more tests tonight to make sure the poison is completely out of her system. I’d like a copy of your formula just in case something was missed. But if I had to guess just by looking, I’d say her system is clear.”

Twilight looked at Luna and Doctor Heart.

“So why am I the only one happy about this?” When neither of them offered an answer, Twilight turned to Chrysalis. “What’s going on? Why isn’t anyone saying anything?” Her voice started to crack.

Chrysalis hung her head. “Because we were too late.” She sighed. “Right?”

Luna and Doctor Heart glanced away, seemingly ashamed.

“No.” Twilight stepped back, shaking her head. “What are you talking about? She’s fine. She’s alive. The poison’s gone. The cure worked.”

“True, the venom is gone,” Doctor Heart slipped on a clean pair of gloves and started to examine Celestia’s injury. “But your potion can’t fix the damage it already did.”

“No.” Twilight’s knees buckled. “No. No!” She felt invisible hooves wrap around her throat. Her breathing turned shallow, not allowing anything more than a pathetic wheeze. Chrysalis tried to offer a comforting hoof, but Twilight lashed out, pushing her away. “How long? How long have you all known?”

Luna closed her eyes.

“I didn’t. Not completely,” Doctor Heart admitted. “I noticed that the venom was eating through just about anything it touched. It cut straight through her muscles, damaging more than a few organs in the process. But . . .”

“But what?” Twilight growled.

“I couldn’t get any good scans with the venom in her body. And now that’s it clear . . . the damage is a lot worse than I thought.”

“Is there hope for recovery?” Luna asked. She was still brushing her sister’s mane, but she had her eyes squeezed shut, tears soaking into the fur of her muzzle.

“I can’t say. The poison would’ve killed a normal pony in less than a day. Celestia’s regeneration kept healing her just as quickly. But her body’s been pushed to its limit. It can’t heal any more.”

“So . . . I failed.” Twilight’s face paled. She swayed back and forth where she sat, her eyes blurry and unfocused. “It was all for nothing.”

“Even if she does recover, she won’t be the alicorn you remember.” Doctor Heart looked down at his patient. She looked peaceful again. “She’ll be lucky if she can even stand.”

Twilight slipped out of her daze. “Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t I know?”

“There was no point in telling you. I couldn’t confirm unless–”

“Why didn’t I know, Doctor?” Twilight’s voice raised. “Why didn’t you warn me that this was a possibility? That this was happening? That this . . . this . . .”

“Telling you would not have changed the outcome,” Luna said, her tears spilling freely onto her sister’s body. “There was nothing you could do.”

“That’s not true, I could have tried to buy more time, I could have worked harder–”

“Enough!” Luna’s voice shook the chamber. “Did you not exhaust every option? Could you change the flow of time so that the ingredients for your cure could arrive faster? You tried your best, Twilight. You did everything you could. More than any other pony could have.” Luna took a shaky breath. “Sometimes . . . sometimes these things happen. There was nothing else you could have done. It was not your fault. It was not anypony’s fault.”

“No,” Chrysalis whispered. “It’s mine.”

Twilight glared at Chrysalis from the corner of her eye. The rage brewing inside her clashed with her love for the changeling. The two sides dragged her to an impasse, desperate to try and find a reason not to blame Chrysalis for all of this, and failing miserably.

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” Chrysalis whispered.

But Twilight couldn’t respond. She couldn’t think. It took every ounce of energy to keep from screaming.

“I understand.” Chrysalis withdrew her hoof from Twilight’s shoulder. “I shall return to my room, then.” Without another word, Chrysalis turned and walked out.

PreviousChapters Next