• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
46: A House and a Home

“So, what did the Captain want to talk about?” Chrysalis asked. Her hoof slid absentmindedly through Twilight’s mane, causing the princess to produce a sound almost like a purr.

“Hmm?” Twilight muttered.

“The captain?” Chrysalis withdrew her hoof momentarily. “Remember, you went to go see the captain a while ago?”

“Oh. Yeah.” Twilight sat up, massaging the ache at the base of her neck. “My conversation with the captain . . .”

Chrysalis snorted. “Did you forget already?”

“No!” Twilight scratched at her chin. “I’m just . . . stalling long enough to come up with a convincing lie.”

Chrysalis nodded. “Of course. Take your time.” She leaned back on her pillow. Her hoove linked behind her head, keeping her from hitting the wooden headboard. “I must admit, I’m a bit proud that you would stoop to such lows just for me.”

Twilight frowned. “You think I didn't lie before I met you?”

“Obviously not.” Chrysalis’ eye half opened. “I’m just saying you weren’t good at it before you met me.” As the last word left her lips, she closed her eye and returned to her relaxed state. Twilight simply rolled her eyes and climbed out of bed. She snatched her bags off the floor and hefted them onto the desk before digging through them.

“What are you looking for?” Chrysalis asked.

“Nothing in particular.” She slipped her advanced magic manual back into its slot between the other books. “We’re nearing Canterlot. I just wanted to make sure that I have everything together before I leave.”

“Oh joy, back to Canterlot.” Chrysalis scoffed.

“Hey, you’re the one that said you wanted to go back with me.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.” The changeling cleared a lock of her mane out of her face by blowing it away. “Honestly, I’ll be amazed if Lulu and Candy don’t just chain me to a wall.”

“They probably will if you call them Lulu and Candy,” Twilight said. She matched the materials in her bag with the list tucked away in her head. They seemed to match up well enough to satisfy her. “Also, since when do you call them Candy and Lulu?”

“I’ve called them that for as long as I’ve known them.” Twilight didn’t need to turn. She could hear the smile in Chrysalis' voice. “They absolutely hate it.”

“Actually, speaking of Luna . . .” Twilight fastened the buckles on her saddlebags and took a seat in the nearby chair. “I just remembered that she wanted me to pass along a message to you.”

“Did she now?”

“She wanted me to thank you.”

Chrysalis’ eye zeroed in on Twilight. “For what?”

Twilight shrugged. “She just wanted me to thank you. Didn’t say any more than that.”

“I see.” Chrysalis' gaze flickered around the room for a bit. “Maybe we knocked her head a bit loose when we were fighting the Nightmare.”

Their conversation lulled into a long silence. Chrysalis returned to stillness once again. Twilight, meanwhile, studied the changeling sitting beside her. A few short hours had done wonders for Chrysalis. Her skin had regained an obsidian-black hue. The cracks and splits across her shell were starting to knit back together. The biggest difference for Twilight, though, was the smile on her face.

Seeing Chrysalis excited brought warmth to her chest.

“What?” Chrysalis asked.

“I didn’t say anything,” Twilight said.

“True. But I was referring to the way you were staring at me.”

Twilight’s cheeks took on the slightest shade of red. “I was just thinking about how different you look this morning. You look . . . happier. It’s nice to see you smiling.”

“Yes, well . . .” Chrysalis sighed. “I suppose it’s a little nice to have a reason to smile again.” She turned to face Twilight. Her smile widened, revealing her fangs. A few weeks ago, Twilight had nightmares of those same fangs sinking into her flesh. But now, she couldn’t help but find them a little cute.

“I guess we’ve both changed during our time together,” Chrysalis said.

“Yeah.” Twilight leaned back in her seat, mimicking Chrysalis’ relaxed pose. “We’ve still got a bit of time before we’re back. We might as well enjoy it while we can.”

“Twilight . . .”

The princess’ ears perked up at her name. “Yeah?”

“Don’t think I forgot about you dodging my question about the captain.”

Twilight reddened. “It wasn’t important. Just telling me we were getting closer to Canterlot.”

“Uh huh.” Chrysalis nodded slowly. “I’m sure he did.” After a moment of quiet, Chrysalis spoke up again. “Whatever he said, I’m sure it wasn't important. What I really wanted to do was thank you. For saving me, I mean.” Her words faded to a whisper. “I don’t know if I’d be alive right now if not for you.”

“I’m glad you’re alive, too.”

“You really are something else, Twilight Sparkle.” Chrysalis chuckled. “I’m glad I didn’t kill you when I had the chance.”

Twilight tried to respond, but was interrupted by the loudspeaker. “This is Captain Shield. We’re now arriving at the Canterlot Docks. Hold on tight.”

The floor of the cabin shifted under Twilight’s seat. In reality, though, the opposite was happening. As the floor slowed to a stop, she felt her weight lean against one of the armrests, nearly tipping the chair.

Chrysalis must have felt it too, given the way her body leaned.

“Welcome home to Canterlot, Soldiers. Captain Armor has excused you all from duty for the rest of the day. Make sure you gather your things and make your way back to the barracks. Captain Shield, out.” The speakers died with a crackle of energy.

“Think that includes us?” Chrysalis asked.

“I doubt it.” Twilight rose and heaved her saddlebags onto her back. She took a moment to adjust to the added weight before motioning for Chrysalis that it was time to leave. With a huff, she dragged herself out of bed and followed Twilight outside. To her surprise, many of the soldiers had already left. The few left were too consumed with gathering their own things to notice their princess or the changeling.

The two of them hurried up a flight of stairs and out onto the deck. Despite the morning’s seemingly endless gray, the ship was now bathed in sunlight as it sat in the Canterlot docks. Several pairs of soldiers were traversing the paths up toward the castle, spewing their future plans into the afternoon sky. Near the barracks, Captain Shield watched his soldiers as they marched past.

“Good to be home?” Chrysalis asked, knocking Twilight from her observations.

Twilight shook her head. “You know I don’t live here, right? You literally broke into my house over in Ponyville.”

“Oh, that’s right.” Chrysalis marched over to the bow of the ship, flourishing her hoof toward the town sprawling out in front of her. “But you lived here first, didn’t you? This is the city that made you who you are, right?”

Twilight leaned on the rail at Chrysalis’ side. Her gaze hovered across the vista before her. She couldn’t count how many buildings she recognized, the streets she knew well enough to map out in her head. But the sight only left her feeling hollow.

“I don’t know.” Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Chrysalis give her a sideways glance. “I mean, yeah, I did grow up here.” She flailed her hoof aimlessly. “But for the last few years I’ve lived out in Ponyville. This . . . doesn’t always feel like home.”

“I see,” Chrysalis said.

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

Twilight scoffed. “Where did you grow up?”

Chrysalis’ eye glazed over. “I . . . I grew up far from Equestria.”

“Really?” Twilight chuckled in surprise. “Anything more specific? I don’t get out of Equestria too often, but I might have heard of it.” When Chrysalis didn’t answer, Twilight cleared her throat. “Well, I’d hope to see it someday. Maybe you could take me there?”

“Not likely.” The changeling shook her head. “I don’t have a home there anymore.” Despite the aggressive nature of her words, Twilight didn’t hear anger in her voice. “I guess . . . I guess I don’t have a home anywhere now.”

Twilight leaned her head against Chrysalis' shoulder. “You could always come live with me. Ponyville could be your new home.”

Chrysalis refocused and glanced down at Twilight. “Your optimism makes me ill sometimes. Did you know that?”

Twilight flashed her teeth in an overly wide smile. “You’ll get used to it.”

“Step away from the railing, Chrysalis.” The two ponies turned to see Shining Armor marching toward them from the bridge. “We don’t want any ponies seeing you and spreading rumors.”

“Well, excuse me, Shiny.” Chrysalis pressed a hoof to her chest indignantly. “But if you recall, you and your princesses are the ones that dragged me here. So maybe that’s something you should consider before yelling at me about it.”

“Calm down, Chrysalis,” Twilight said. “He’s just trying not to panic everypony.”

With a scoff, Chrysalis begrudgingly stepped away from the ship’s edge. Shining and Twilight both watched her walk towards the gangplank and down onto the docks below.

“I wonder if we would have been better off leaving her back at the hive,” Shining Armor muttered. “Would have saved us a lot of trouble in the future. But don’t worry, Twilight, I’ll have my guards take her--”

“You know, she might stop causing trouble for you if you tried being nicer to her.” Twilight felt her brother’s gaze strike her like a storm of needles. “It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?”

“You’re right, Twilight,” he said. “In fact, while we’re being nice to her, why don’t we just offer her the castle. For Celestia’s sake, why don’t we just give her the throne? I’m sure that would make the evil changeling bent on destroying us a lot more amenable.”

“She’s not evil.”

Shining sighed. “Look, maybe you’re right, Twilight, but you could also be wrong. Since it seems that you’re going to be on her side for now, one of us should stay loyal to Equestria.”

“Excuse me?” Twilight marched up to her brother, putting herself muzzle-to-muzzle with the soldier. “Would you care to repeat that to me, Shiny?”

Shining Armor backed down from his sister while scratching at the blue locks of his mane poking out from under his helmet. “That was a poor choice of words.”

“No, I don’t think it was,” Twilight said. “What did you mean?”

Shining sighed and shook his head. “I’m sorry. I’m just having trouble putting all of this together, Twilight.”

“Putting what together?”

“What you’re thinking.” He sighed. “Twilight, have you forgotten what she did to me? What she did to you?”

“I haven’t forgotten.”

“Are you sure? Because it really feels like you have.” He started to pace across the deck. “She’s dangerous. And I feel like you’re not getting that. And I don’t understand. You’ve faced her yourself. You were taken to her hive against your will. Yet, here you are, defending her against your own brother. I’m losing track of the plot here, Twilight.”

“She’s changed, Shiny.”

“Has she? Or have you?” He tossed his sister a pitiful glare. “I know all too well what happens when she gets into your head. And I’m worried that she’s doing the same thing to you.”

“She isn't.” Twilight wrapped her hooves over her brother’s shoulder plate. “I promise I’m still me. It’s Chrysalis that’s changed. I wish you could see that.” She squeezed him hard and let go. “But I understand. I don’t expect you to trust her. But you can trust me.”

Shining opened his mouth to speak, but closed his mouth without another word. After a long pause, he opened his mouth again. “You might be able to forgive what she’s done. But I can’t. I’m sorry.” As he left, he peeled off his helmet and ran his hoof through his mane. Twilight followed him down to the docks and watched him make his way into the barracks with the last of his soldiers.

“He’s right, you know,” Chrysalis said, hopping down from her stack of crates she’d arranged into a makeshift throne and joining Twilight as she started up the same path to the castle. “And he’s not the only pony that won’t accept me.”

“He’s being stubborn. He’ll come around.”

“And what if he doesn’t?”

“He will,” Twilight said firmly. She stumbled to a stop as Chrysalis stepped in front of her, blocking the path. Twilight tried to step around, only for Chrysalis to mirror her sidestep and continue to barricade her path. “What are you doing?”

“What if he doesn’t?”

Twilight huffed. “He’s upset. When he’s cooled off a bit, I’ll talk with him again. And he will come around.”

Chrysalis shook her head. “Things aren’t that simple, Twilight. You said that you loved me. But did you ever stop to think about what that means? Would you risk giving up everything you have for me?” Twilight tried to look away, but Chrysalis’ piercing green eye held her firm. “Because there’s a very real chance that you’ll have to pay that price.”

When she finished, Chrysalis turned and marched up the path alone without waiting for an answer. Twilight’s legs felt like lead, leaving her shackled in place. She could only hang her head and stare at the dirt, muttering.

“They’ll come around eventually . . . right?”

PreviousChapters Next