• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
27: The Old Queen is Dead

Twilight didn’t move. Even if she wanted to, her limbs felt numb. The last of her dream faded away, leaving her lying on the cold stone of the Canterlot Castle hallway. Bile rose in her throat, burning as she vomited on the castle floor. The splitting pain in her head darkened her vision with each pounding pulse of her heart. Even worse, she could feel Starlight’s, Thorax’s, and Spike’s gaze lingering on her.

“Are you alright?” It was Thorax’s voice.

“Of course she isn’t,” Starlight said, her tone harsh.

Twilight could hear claws scratching against the tile. Rough scales brushed across her side. Spike crept beneath Twilight’s foreleg, nestling against the fur on her chest. His touch caused immense pain. A bruise.

Twenty years of memories burned away, shrouding Twilight’s mind in their smoke. Two decades, compacted into the span of hours. Lines between reality and the dream blurred until she didn’t know which memories were real anymore, until she didn’t know which Twilight was real. The paradox of it all threatened to break her. Only a warm claw wiping the tears from her cheek brought her crawling back from the edge of the abyss.

“Twilight?”

“Spike?” She didn’t recognize her own voice. “Spike, what happened?”

“Easy, Twilight. You’re shaking. Do you remember anything?”

“I remember . . .” Twilight’s knitted brow unwound. “I remember everything.”

“I’m sorry.” Spike clung tight to her. “I hate waking up from a good dream.”

“It’s not your fault, Spike.” Twilight stumbled to her hooves. Thorax and Starlight rushed to her sides, holding her steady. “None of you are to blame for this. You did exactly what I would expect you to. You saved me. Again. Thanks.”

“Don’t thank us just yet.” Starlight half-smiled. “We’ve still got a lot of work to do here. Are you going to be alright? We can take some time if you need it, but we don’t have a lot to spare.”

“No. I’m alright.” Starlight and Thorax released her. She stumbled again, but managed to catch herself before falling. In addition to a massive headache, her center of gravity had shifted as a result of her smaller frame.

“You sure?” Thorax asked.

“Yeah. Just need to get used to walking again.” Twilight could feel her momentum slowing. “Come on. Let’s go. We need to get this done.” She pushed forward, ignoring the concerned looks from her friends. “How are things back in reality?”

“Not good.” Starlight fell in line beside her.

“Your brother and his soldiers are fighting a war across the castle. It’s kind of impressive,” Thorax said, moving to her free flank. Spike climbed up her tail, settling on her back.

“What are they fighting?”

“Monsters right out of a nightmare.” Starlight scoffed. “Literally.”

“They seemed to be holding the line well enough when we left. But that was hours ago.”

“Then we don’t have any time to spare.” Twilight stopped at the hallway crossroad. “Any idea where we can find Chrysalis?”

“Not really.” Thorax winced.

“We sort of just stumbled into your door,” Starlight added.

“Right.” Twilight turned down the right-side hallway. Under normal circumstances, Canterlot Castle was a labyrinth. Dream physics didn’t make it any easier to navigate. Several times, the group ended up in dead ends or walking in circles where the geography shouldn’t allow it. Hallways curved in on themselves, Staircases ran up, down, and sideways. Some doorways twisted into another hall, while others were nothing more than detailed drawings on the walls.

“This is ridiculous,” Starlight complained. “How does anything find its way around here?”

“I doubt the nightmares have to navigate it normally,” Thorax said.

Twilight’s eyes shot wide. “Thorax, you’re a genius!”

“Oh?” He scratched his chestplate. “Well, thank you. What did I do?”

“Whatever creatures live in this world, they don’t navigate it normally.” Twilight bit the edge of her hoof. “There is no normal in this world. It plays tricks on our mind and keeps us trapped. What were you two doing when you found my door?”

Thorax and Starlight shared a look.

“We were admonishing Spike, I think,” Starlight said.

“For being lazy,” Thorax confirmed.

Spike tried to protest, but Twilight cut him off. “Actually, they make a good point, Spike. Why do we always have to carry you? You have two working legs.” She lifted the dragon off her back, holding him in front of her face with her magic. “Well, let’s hear it, Mister.”

“I . . .” Spike twiddled his claws. “It’s fun. And it keeps my claws from being sore. Plus, I don’t have to worry about getting lost. “

“He makes a decent point, too. So, Starlight, why should Spike have to walk? He only has two legs. And they tire faster.”

“Twilight, how is this helping?” Thorax butted in.

Rather than answer, Twilight slowed, allowing Starlight to take the lead while she was lost in thought. “I don’t know,” she said. “I wasn’t actually being serious about it. I was just giving him trouble about it. And I really can’t tell if you’re genuinely upset or not.”

“Why would I be upset? You’re talking crazy, Starlight,” Twilight said, waving her off. “I mean, do you even know why I’m asking all of this?”

“No.” Starlight shook her head. “But I am a little worried that waking you from your dream with such a traumatizing realization may have broken your mind.”

“Nonsense.” Turning her nose upward, Twilight huffed. “I’m as sane as I’ve ever been.”

“You sure?” Thorax asked. “You’re being kind of weird.”

“Yeah. Because I needed to do that.” Twilight smiled wide. Before any of the others could ask, she pointed to the door ahead. The symbol of a green crown marked the door. A changeling queen’s tiara.

“Wait. What?” Starlight shook her head. “Was that there a second ago?”

“Nope,” Twilight declared. She snuck through her awestruck companions. “But I had an idea. And you two helped me test it beautifully.”

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Really? We were wondering for hours and we still didn’t figure it out.” She exhaled through her nose.

“I still haven’t figured it out,” Thorax said, looking back and forth between the rest of the group. “What exactly happened?”

“When you two found my door was the moment you stopped looking for it,” Twilight explained. “You said it yourself that whatever lives in this world doesn’t navigate normally. Because the world itself bends to help them.” Twilight waited for Thorax to nod. “And it knew what we were looking for to keep us away from it.”

“But when we stopped looking for it,” Thorax started, finally putting two and two together. “The Nightmare wasn’t trying to hide it from us. I don’t know if I would have ever figured that out. It’s definitely a strange way to do things.”

“Who cares how we found it,” Spike butted in. “Let’s go get her back so we can get out of this crazy place.”

“Good idea, Spike.” Twilight lit her horn and pulled the handle hard. The door inched open, revealing a dark, low-ceiling cave. Shards of green crystal were embedded in the walls, keeping the passage from being pitch dark.

“A changeling cave,” Thorax said as he stepped through. “It’s exceptionally accurate. It’s even got the magic thread.”

“The what?” Twilight asked, crossing the threshold.

“I call it the magic thread. It’s how changelings navigate their hives. There’s a thin string of magic that tells us where we’re going.” He walked off deeper into the cave, seemingly unaware that he was leaving his friends behind. Twilight and Starlight hurried after him. “Given that this is a dream version of a hive, I’m kind of amazed that it’s this accurate.”

“Can you get us to Chrysalis?” Twilight asked.

“I could do it with my eyes closed.” Thorax demonstrated by closing his eyes.

“I have a question, if I may?” Starlight pushed in between them. “What are we supposed to do when we find Chrysalis? I at least had a plan of what to say to Twilight if I needed to convince her.”

“We won’t need a plan.” Thorax pawed at the ground for a moment before speeding off down one of the branching paths. “Chrysalis can’t be stuck in a dream.”

Starlight frowned. “You realize you’re saying that as we’re walking through her dream world?” She waved her hooves madly at the world around them.

“I didn’t say she couldn’t dream.” He led them around another turn and up a small cliff. He and Twilight carried themselves up on their wings. Starlight merely levitated herself up after them. “I said she couldn’t be stuck in a dream. Our hivemind gives us a lot of strange abilities. One of those is lucid dreaming. We can’t dream normally.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow. “That must be nice.”

“I mean, we don’t even do that too often.” Thorax laughed. “Usually, when we sleep, we share our minds with our brothers and sisters so we can still be aware of what's going on.”

“Wait.” Twilight stopped. “You can do what?”

“That’s great and all,” Starlight said, slipping past Twilight. “But that doesn’t mean that she’s going to be willing to come with us. I mean, she doesn’t exactly like me. Or you, for that matter, Twilight.”

“She’s changed since you saw her last,” Twilight said. She closed her eyes to see the face of her imagined family on the back of her eyelids. “She’s not as bad as everyone thinks she is. I just need to get through to her, and I’m sure she’ll—”

“Stop!” Thorax’s stance widened.

Twilight ducked low, her head on a swivel. “What’s the matter, Thorax?”

“Here. Move forward. Slowly.” Thorax pressed himself against the wall. He motioned for the others to do likewise. As they inched closer to the cave mouth, they saw what set him on edge. At the far end of the room, a massive guard protected the throne room door.

“He’s big, but I think we can take them.” Starlight started to cast a spell. Thorax stopped her by grabbing her horn. “Hey!”

“There aren’t that many now, but I’m sure there are more in the hive. We pick a fight with him, he calls for help, then we’ll be drowning in chitin soon enough.”

“Is there another way in?” Twilight asked.

“No. At least, none that will be any less guarded than this. We need to get through him, but without letting him sound the alarm.” Thorax poked his tongue out the side of his mouth. “It won’t be easy, but it might be possible.”

“I’ve got a better idea,” Starlight interrupted. “These drones are just from Chrysalis’ dream, right? Then if we break Chrysalis out, then all the drones will disappear, right?” Twilight and Thorax shrugged simultaneously.

“What are you planning, Starlight?” Thorax asked.

“I can cause a distraction. Lead him on a chase. You two sneak in and deal with Chrysalis. A lot less of a chance of that one going wrong.”

Twilight shook her head. “That’s dangerous, Starlight.”

“I’ve dealt with worse than a few changeling drones. And I’ve dealt with plenty of changeling drones, too. Trust me, I can handle this.”

“I don’t like this,” Twilight turned to Thorax. “But could it work?”

Thorax chewed his lip. “Theoretically.”

“It’s settled, then. I’ll run distraction, you guys finish the mission.”

Twilight felt a weight fall from her shoulders. She didn’t realize it was Spike until he climbed up onto Starlight. “I’ll go with her,” he said. “I’ll make sure she’s safe.”

“What? No way, Spike.” Twilight moved to snatch the dragon, but he batted her hoof away.

“I’m not letting Starlight go by herself,” Spike said.

“Right. Don’t worry about us, Twilight. Spike and I have got this.” Starlight took a deep breath. “By the way, I’m really sorry for this.” Starlight offered a half-hearted smile.

“Sorry about what—” Before she could ask, Twilight found herself falling toward the cave wall.

Starlight sped off, leaving a puff of dust in her wake. As she crossed the room, she slung bolts of magic at the guard. He threw up his hoof, catching the bolt aimed for his head before returning fire. HIs bolts scorched the wall as Starlight weaved through them. Twilight stepped forward, ready to intervene, but a hoof on her shoulder pulled her back.

“She knows what she’s doing, Twilight. Have some faith in your student.” Thorax kept her quiet with a stern glare.

Starlight galloped down one of the tunnels while Spike taunted the changeling from her back. More drones came crawling out of the wall to give chase, until it seemed the whole swarm was after her, drowning out her hoofbeats with their wings’ angry whine. Once he confirmed the coast was clear, Thorax motioned for Twilight to follow. Each of them took a handle, pulling the Throne Room door open.

The door led them into another tunnel. Like before, gems lined the walls, flickering like sickened torchlight. Thorax kept low as they advanced, gesturing for Twilight to do likewise. The tunnel mouth opened into a grand hall. The tall columns and throne pedestal reminded Twilight of the hive where she found Celestia and Chrysalis.

Speaking of the changeling queen, Twilight could see her lying atop her throne. She appeared to be sleeping, or something like it. Her eyes were closed, though her chest still raised with each breath. A thin red line spilled over the edge of her seat and down the stairs, where it was starting to pool. A handle-less silver sword protruded from a crater beside her.

“There she is,” Twilight said, hopping forward. Before she could call out, something gripped her tail, and pulled. She glanced over to see Thorax holding it in his teeth.

“Not so quick, Twilight. Something isn’t right here.”

Twilight glanced to the throne, then back at Thorax. Her body urged her to step forward, but she conceded to his advice.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know.” Thorax narrowed his eyes as he scanned the room. “But my gut tells me this is a trap.”

“What do we do, then?

“You stay here.” He took a single step forward. “I’ll go first. I don’t know what will happen, but I don’t want you stepping in until I tell you. Stay hidden until then. And be careful.” With his warning given, Thorax pressed forward.

Twilight kept to the shadows, but watched carefully. Every so often, she would be drawn to the wounded queen. Her injured leg turned at an unhealthy angle, mangled beyond use. Sections of her chitin were scalded and cracked. Dark stains of dried blood surrounded a deep cut in the side of her neck.

Thorax made it halfway to the base of the throne before he stopped.

“Chrysalis?” His childish voice echoed through the lofty space.

Chrysalis shifted on her throne. Her eye drifted open, swinging wildly around the room as she searched for the speaker. Eventually, her sight settled on Thorax. Chrysalis rose from her rest with the enthusiasm of a child waking for school.

“Thorax,” she sneered. “Finally came for me, did you?”

“O-Of course I did. Why wouldn’t I?”

“But only after rescuing Twilight first, right?” The chill in her voice made Twilight shudder. “So, where is the princess? Is she hiding back there, in the dark? Or have I misjudged where your loyalties lie?”

“W-We did save Twilight.” As she listened to Thorax, Twilight understood his nervousness. The air felt heavy and thick. Something else was in here with them. Her instincts that had originally driven her toward Chrysalis were now silent. “But that wasn’t by choice. We just happened to cross her first.”

“Of course.” Chrysalis descended. The bones in her leg crackled with each step, but she didn’t seem to care. Or even notice. “Fate certainly does seem to enjoy playing favorites whenever she is involved. First she foiled my plans in Canterlot. Then, even after I had beaten her, the entirety of my hive turned against me to save her. It’s quite annoying.”

The fur on the back of Twilight’s neck stood on end.

“Chrysalis . . . what are you trying to say?” Thorax asked, his voice quivering.

“I am not insinuating anything.” Chrysalis circled him, a shark in the water. “I simply like to point out how strange it is. But onto more important things: Where is the princess?”

“I . . . I don’t like this, Chrysalis. What are you playing at?” Thorax stuttered, his voice unable to match the authority in his words.

“My dear, little Thorax. I’m not playing.” Chrysalis swept up behind him, grabbing one of his horns and wrenching his head back. “Call her. Bring her here.”

“What has gotten into you?” Thorax asked, kicking at her. She didn’t flinch.

“What has gotten into me? The better question is what had gotten into me before? Can you believe I almost let Twilight trick me like that? I feel ashamed just thinking about it. No. I just needed someone to remind me of what was at stake.”

“So, that’s your plan? Are you going to escape again? And where do you go from there? You nearly died last time. What makes you think this time will be any different?” Thorax shivered as Chrysalis leaned in close, running her fangs along his throat.

“Escape? No. I’m through with running. Celestia will be dead soon enough. Luna will perish with her Nightmare. Twilight will die at my hoof. And I’ve got the perfect cell picked out for Cadance and her sweet little prince to rot. Equestria will be mine. The question is, what to do about you? Call Twilight here. Help me, and maybe you'll get to leave alive.”

“I thought we were over this,” Thorax snarled. “I thought you had changed.”

“I’m giving you three seconds to call her. Don’t disappoint me again, Thorax.”

“Your plan won’t work. Don’t you get it? You’ll never conquer Equestria. Ponies all across the land will rise up against you. Your only chance to survive is if you let Twilight help—” A crack echoed through the emptiness. Thorax’s words bled into a scream as Chrysalis snapped an antler from his head.

“Can you hear him, Princess Twilight? Or is your friend simply not worth the trouble?” Chrysalis tossed the broken antler aside. Twilight gritted her teeth. She could see Thorax on the ground, holding the small shard of bone left protruding from his head. “It seems she has no use for you, either. A shame. And after you were so—”

“Chrysalis, stop!” Twilight didn’t mean to say it, but she couldn’t help herself. Chrysalis turned toward her. Her cover blown, Twilight stepped out into the light and stared down Chrysalis.

“Well. It seems she cares about you after all.” Chrysalis kicked Thorax out of her way. He howled as he rolled through the dust. “Princess Twilight. You and I: we need to talk.”

“What’s wrong with you, Chrysalis?” Confusion swept through Twilight. Twenty years of love and marriage clashed with the violent scene staring back at her. “I thought you wanted a better life? I thought you wanted me to help you?”

“Of course you would say that,” Chrysalis chuckled. Her eyes snapped upward. “But she reminded me of the truth. Of my place in the world! I will never bow to you, Princess. Your tricks will not tempt me again.”

“It’s not a trick.” Twilight put a hoof on her chest. “I would never ask you to bow. You know that.”

“Don’t waste your lies on me, Pony. There is only one way this will end. Do your worst. I won’t hold back.” Chrysalis’ lips curled into a wicked smile. “I’ll do my best to make this quick—” Something slammed into the back of Chrysalis’ head. She snarled as she stared down at the object that struck her. Thorax’s severed antler sat at her hooves.

“Hey!” Thorax growled. “We’re not done yet! Twilight, I told you to let me handle this.”

“I couldn’t let her just—”

“I don’t care. If you die, Equestria is done. Let me take care of this.”

“Aww,” Chrysalis cooed. “How cute. At least the two of you will die together.”

Chrysalis lunged toward Thorax. She lashed out with waves of magic. Thorax moved faster than Twilight had ever seen. He moved side-to-side, avoiding each strike while advancing. Once Thorax closed in, Chrysalis’ magic fizzled. Instead, she swung a hoof at him. The strike missed, shattering the stone beneath her.

Thorax slid beneath her hoof, forcing his momentum in an upward swing. A burst of green flame accompanied his attack. Rather than a hoof, a fist collided with Chrysalis’ jaw, sending her rolling backward, head over hooves. Rising to his hind legs, Thorax wreathed his body in his flames. His chitin crumbled, revealing the muscular body of a minotaur.

Chrysalis unraveled herself from a heap on the floor. There was a sickening crack as she popped her jaw back into place. “You’re a stubborn one. When did you grow a spine, Grub?”

Thorax shook his head.

“I’ve always had one. I just hoped I’d never have to use it against you.”

The two clashed again, slamming shell against flesh. Chrysalis’ wings buzzed as she dove beneath Thorax’s punch.

Before he could recover from his swing, Chrysalis slashed the back of his knee with her jagged horn, forcing him to kneel. Another slash opened a long red mark across his back.

Thorax gritted his teeth, trying his best to ignore the burning pain across his torn flesh. With a surge of determination, he swung his head back, his broken antler finding purchase against Chrysalis’ flank, gouging out a chunk of her chitin and forcing her back.

Chrysalis hurled a hoof into his opening wound as she retreated, sending both changelings stumbled back to their corner.

“Not bad,” Chrysalis remarked, wiping crimson blood from her chin.

“Learned from the best,” Thorax shot back.

This time, Thorax took the lead. He swung wide, but his fist only caught a few strands of her mane as she lurched to the side. Chrysalis countered, her spell sending a flame up his side, scorching his fur. He batted at the embers, quelling them, but leaving his guard open.

Chrysalis’ horn flared with magic, but a violet energy bolt struck against her chestplate, knocking her off balance long enough for Thorax to stand. She hopped back, using her wings to carry her out of attack range as Twilight hurried to Thorax’s side.

“I told you to let me handle this, Twilight,” he growled.

“And I told you that I can’t just stand by and watch this,” Twilight said, frowning.

“That’s not my point—”

Chrysalis interrupted him with a furious howl. Her magic blazed outward, tearing chunks of stone from the walls and pillars. Her magic grasped at the boulders, whipping them around her like debris in a twister.

“Listen to me, Twilight,” Thorax said. “She’s barely standing.”

Chrysalis launched a stone at the duo. A purple flash of magic split the stone in two, the fragments barely missing Twilight. “She certainly doesn’t fight like someone about to die,” the alicorn scoffed.

Thorax shook his head.

“Something’s wrong with her. She’s not right in the head.” Another boulder came their way, but a swift haymaker shattered it, raining pebbles across the battlefield. “But you’re right. We can’t hold back against her, which is why I don’t want you interfering. Any of these blows could be fatal. I won’t let you be responsible for that.”

“I appreciate the concern, but—”

“Shut up!” Chrysalis screeched. Her magic tore the throne’s pedestal from its base, sending it soaring through the air. Twilight flapped her wings and launched upward, narrowly avoiding being crushed. Meanwhile, Thorax vanished in a column of flame. A mouse bounded out of the way before another burst of magic returned it to Thorax’s minotaur form.

The pedestal collided with the far wall, bringing down a few columns and shaking loose a layer of stone from the ceiling above, revealing the night sky.

“It’s alright, Thorax. I know the risks,” Twilight said. “I can do this.”

“You should listen to him, Princess.” Chrysalis snarled. She dove forward, the air shimmering around her as she sped forward, her horn leveled at Thorax’s chest.

The minotaur threw up his arms, bracing for the impact. But it never landed.

Instead, Chrysalis banked to the side, rocketing past him. She turned faster than should have been possible at her speed towards Twilight.

Before the sharpened point could connect, the alicorn vanished in a purple blip of magic. She reappeared behind Chrysalis and sent her crashing downward with a solid buck.

“I’m sorry about this, Chrysalis.” Twilight steadied herself. She conjured a ball of light at the tip of her horn. The wind around her howled as the energy gathered.

Chrysalis tried to interrupt the spell with a harsh kick, but a strong grip took her tail, slamming her back down. Thorax pinned her down with his weight, before delivering a solid punch to his opponent’s muzzle. Twilight couldn’t tell if the accompanying crunch was bone or the rock beneath her.

Before Chrysalis could regain her bearings, Thorax hauled her upward, tossing her into the air like a rag doll. She used her wings to steady herself, only in time for Twilight to unleash her spell.

A beam of purple energy tore into Chrysalis. Her armor stripped away in chunks as the power enveloped her. A roar of thunder echoed through the chamber, lasting a few seconds before the spell finally sputtered out.

Chrysalis dropped like a rock, kicking up clouds of dust on impact. Wisps of steam wafted off her body.

Thorax took advantage of her dazed state. He threw himself forward with reckless abandon. A primal howl tore from his lips as he plunged the broken antler through Chrysalis’ chest. Momentum carried the improvised weapon forward, shattering her breastplate like glass.

Chrysalis’ form went limp with a choking wheeze. Thorax knelt on top of her.

Twilight dropped to the ground behind them.

“Thorax? Is she . . .” Her voice shook.

“No. She’s alive. For now.” Thorax had his fingers wrapped around his bloody weapon. His hand shook as his mother’s blood ran over it. Twilight didn’t know if it was from his anger, or from something else. “With a twitch, I could send this into her heart. Even she can’t survive that.”

“Why . . .” Chrysalis croaked.

“I had to stop you.” Thorax’s voice trembled more than his body would seem to suggest. “You didn’t give me a—”

Chrysalis wrapped a hoof around his hand.

“Why . . . did you stop?”

Thorax wiped his cheek, splashing tears into the dust.

“I didn’t want to fight you. You didn’t give me a choice. Is it really so hard to believe? By the Queens above, you’re my mother! What was I supposed to do?”

“Kill me.”

“No! Why is that the only option? Why can’t we start over?”

“I think it’s a little too late for that.” Chrysalis tried to take a deep breath, but was interrupted by a coughing fit. She lay her head back, staring up at the ceiling. At the stars visible through the cracks.

“No. It isn’t. Is it, Twilight?” Thorax asked.

Twilight wiped a tear from her eye with the tip of her wing and shook her head.

Thorax didn’t even turn to see it.

“See? Twilight still believes in you. I . . . I still believe in you.”

“Then you’re both fools.” Chrysalis closed her eyes. “There are no more chances for me, my dear Thorax. Don’t you understand that?”

“No.” Thorax shook his head. “That’s not you saying that. Those aren’t your thoughts.”

“My thoughts are clear, Thorax.” Chrysalis smiled, revealing bloodied gums and shattered teeth. “More clear than they’ve been in a long time. I know what I am. I’m a monster. Monsters are slain by the heroes, who live happily ever after. There is no ‘happily ever after’ for me, Thorax. There never will be. This was the most I could hope for. A valiant end.”

A valiant end?” Thorax’s eyes went wide. “You wanted us to kill you. All of that effort, all of that violence, just to convince us that you needed to die.”

Twilight reeled, the realization catching her like a punch to the gut. All that bravado, all those horrible things Chrysalis said . . . she wanted Twilight and Thorax to kill her. And they’d nearly complied with it. She started trembling.

“The world will never accept me as anything else than what I am. A monster.”

“You’re wrong!” Even to her own surprise, it was Twilight who screamed. But the dam had already been broken. She couldn’t stop if she wanted to. “You’re not a monster! I’ve seen what horrible things you’re capable of. But I still believe that somewhere, deep down, beneath the pain and anger, there’s still a changeling capable of good. A changeling that doesn’t have to die!”

Chrysalis chuckled, spewing crimson droplets. “So naive. Even now.” She took a shallow breath. “Go. Live your lives. Forget about me. Leave me where I belong. A relic of the past. It’s the fate I deserve. It’s what I want.”

Thorax shifted back into his normal form. He stood and turned his back on her. He squeezed his eyes shut. He wiped away tears, smearing red across his cheeks.

“It . . . It’s all just wasted on you, isn’t it?” he asked.

Twilight stepped forward with alarming speed, trying to put a hoof on his shoulder.

“Thorax, don’t . . .”

“No. I understand it now.” He pushed Twilight’s hoof away. “You don’t care what the world sees you as, do you? You only care how you see it. You think you’re a victim. You think that you’ve lost everything. But you’re wrong about that, too.”

Twilight put a hoof on his shoulder. He didn’t try to stop her this time. “What are you—”

“For so long, I thought I was the one that abandoned you. I thought I’d failed. That because of my weakness, you turned into a prideful monster. But I see the truth, now. I never abandoned you. Twilight never abandoned you. You abandoned us.”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she realized the meaning of his words. She glanced down at the broken form of her former companion. Of the changeling that stood beside her on the altar. That she swore to stand beside and protect. Until death parted them.

Thorax continued.

“It was hopeless to try to save you. You never wanted to be saved. You wanted to be released from all the pain and all the guilt that eats you alive. You think that you can make this world a better place by removing yourself from it? Then fine.”

He walked across the room, to the demolished remains of the throne. The broken silvered blade sat on the ground, lonely and cold. The blade rose into the air, surrounded by his magical aura. He started back toward Chrysalis.

“What? No, Thorax.”

Twilight stepped in his way.

He pushed past her, not bothering to be gentle. “Don’t, Twilight. If this is what she wants, then it’s what she’ll get.” He kept walking forward, never casting so much as a glance backwards.

“She’s your mother. She’s my . . . Don’t do this, Thorax.”

“No. I’ve been played for a fool long enough. But I get the joke now. The perfect punchline.” Despite the harshness in his voice, Twilight could see the tears staining his path.

“Thorax, stop!” she pleaded.

He pressed the blade against his mother’s throat. “This is what you want, isn’t it?”

Chrysalis didn’t answer. She just stared into her son’s eyes with an odd calm.

“Then do it yourself . . .” He plunged the blade downward, piercing it into the floor beside Chrysalis’ head, close enough to cut through her mane. “I won’t have any part of this. I’m done following your orders. The Chrysalis that was my queen is long dead.”

He turned and walked away, leaving Twilight stunned in place, on the verge of collapse.

She didn’t dare look back at Chrysalis. Instead, she gripped tight to the memories of her dream, and wondered if this was all just another nightmare.


Chrysalis held the broken blade firmly in her grasp.

“This is how the Unbroken ends. A pitiful end for your legend, my dear.” Iris stepped around the blood and sat at Chrysalis’ side. Twilight cast one final look down at the broken form before galloping off, trying to muffle her tears in her wing.

“It was a stupid legend anyway,” Chrysalis moaned.

“It doesn’t have to end here, you know?”

“But it should. After everything I did to escape your clutches, I could never escape your shadow. I became blinded by pride and hunger. I became everything I hated. And in the end, I still failed. I’m a tale best left forgotten.”

“That’s a shame.”

“Don’t pretend you care,” Chrysalis snarled. “I thought you’d be happy to see me dead. But I guess you’re not even real, are you? You died a long time ago, too, didn’t you? But you’re still here. With me. But I’m done. Your twisted legacy ends here.”

Chrysalis hefted the broken blade. She hovered the tip over the hole in her chest. One quick slice. No more pain. No more guilt. No more suffering. Not for herself, though. Wherever she ended up, those things would continue. But at the very least, the world would be free of her. It would be safe.

Safe for Thorax.

Safe for his hive.

Safe for . . . Twilight.

The thought of Twilight stuck in her head. The pain on her face. The tears. Why? They had been enemies. She had tried to kill Twilight several times. She doomed one of her greatest mentors and friends. Yet, she couldn’t deny the pain she saw in that final look. Even as death loomed, Chrysalis felt haunted by it.

Perhaps Thorax had been right. In a way.

Centuries of memories fluttered through her head. Thousands of half-remembered faces of those she tormented. The guilty. The innocent. Even her own children. How many had died for her sins? How many had suffered because of her? Would her death really wipe away the pain of so many ruined lives?

Or did she just want her own pain to stop?

Her vision swirled.

There was only one way to find out.


“Thorax, are you sure about this?” Twilight asked. They were halfway down the entrance tunnel to the Throne Room. Neither of them managed to move with haste. “Did you hear me, Thorax? Look at me!”

He stopped, but he didn’t turn.

Twilight felt . . . she wasn’t sure what she felt. Anger. Pain. Sorrow. Every emotion mixed together in a cocktail that left her drained. Her legs buckled, and she collapsed into the dirt. She wanted to go home. She wasn’t even sure where home was at this point.

Thorax’s shoulders heaved as he drew a deep breath. But before he could speak, the world fell away around them. The cave crumbled, revealing the vigilant portraits and various fineries of Canterlot Castle.

“Come on. We’ve got to find Starlight and Spike,” Thorax said. As he walked, his wounds healed. While the rest of the world fell to ash, his body moved in reverse, solidifying back into a whole. Even his broken antler.

“Hold it!” A voice echoed through the hallways.

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat at the sound.

She turned to see Chrysalis standing several feet behind her. Like Thorax, her wounds were gone, save a broken leg and horn.

“C-Chrysalis!” Twilight’s strength returned. She rocketed forward, crashing into the changeling. It was like trying to tackle a mountain. “You’re alive!”

“I am.” Chrysalis’ gaze flicked up to Thorax, who refused to meet it. “Thorax?”

Chrysalis freed herself from Twilight’s grip. She marched up to Thorax, who flinched in her shadow. He braced himself. But instead of a beating, Chrysalis threw her hooves over his shoulders and held him tight.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For forcing me to see the truth. And for giving me another chance. One I don’t deserve.”

He said nothing, and simply squeezed her back.

“Hey, what about me?” Twilight asked, pouting.

“You blasted me into the dirt,” Chrysalis said, turning to the princess.

Twilight paled. “I mean . . . I didn’t . . . you . . .”

Watching the pony struggle brought a slight upward curve to Chrysalis’ frown. “Twilight, even when you wanted to, you didn’t hold back. You protected Thorax better than I ever have. You did what you thought was right, even when it pained you greatly. The mark of a worthy leader.”

“Oh,” was the only thing Twilight managed to say as her body numbed.

Chrysalis’ features stiffened. She bowed her head. “You reached out to help me, Twilight, but I threw that chance away. Just as I did with Starlight. Equestria and its citizens wish me dead. Even I lost hope. But you didn’t. As I said, I do not deserve a second chance—”

“Shut up!” Twilight held Chrysalis, pressing her muzzle into the cold chitin plate. “Of course I’ll help you. I’ve been waiting for you to ask. I have so much to tell you.”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve still got work to do,” Thorax said.

“Right.” Twilight pulled herself from Chrysalis. “We’ve got to put an end to the Nightmare’s plans and save Princess Luna.”

An angry cough echoed from behind them. Twilight turned to see Starlight, eyebrow raised, still carrying Spike on her back. “Aren’t you forgetting something else you need to do first?”

PreviousChapters Next