• Published 10th Dec 2023
  • 738 Views, 271 Comments

Death of a Queen, V2. - Arkane12



When Celestia is in trouble, Twilight must turn to an unlikely ally to help save her, the one that nearly killed her in the first place.

  • ...
7
 271
 738

PreviousChapters Next
59: The Princess' Request

Chrysalis limped through the castle hallways. If the burning at the edges of her prosthetic were anything to go by, she didn’t have long before the skin broke. As fun as it would be to make a mess of the castle hallways, she didn’t have much interest in using her own blood to paint the walls.

“And that earned me a lap around the castle. Not fun.”

“That’s what you get for mouthing off like that.”

The sound of laughter echoed down from the end of the hallway. Two stallions in heavy armor were marching side-by-side toward Chrysalis. They slowed their pace as they approached the changeling.

“What are you doing down here, Changeling?” The older stallion asked, his grip on his spear tightening. “You’re supposed to be under guard upstairs.”

“Well, Princess Cadance asked me to come down and have a chat with her husband,” Chrysalis said. “So, if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.” The guards exchanged a glance. Chrysalis braced herself, already brewing a slew of comebacks in the back of her mind.

“That way. Take a left.” The younger soldier pointed back behind Chrysalis.

“Pardon?” Chrysalis arched her brow.

“That way. Then left.” He repeated the motion.

“You’re serious?” Chrysalis’ voice cracked as she started to laugh.

The elder tossed his underling a sideways glance. “Yes.”

“Oh.” Chrysalis withdrew. “I wasn’t expecting an actual answer. Thanks.” Her eyes narrowed. “I think.”

With that, she turned and trotted off. She could feel the soldier’s eyes on her back as she walked. Following the soldier’s directions, she turned and found herself staring down a reinforced oak door. She could hear countless voices chattering on the other side. Out a window beside her, she could see the port, its docks laid bare. She could see the waterfall on the far side of the valley. Taking a deep breath, Chrysalis grabbed the handle and opened the door.

The voices fell silent one by one as the two-dozen soldiers turned toward Chrysalis.

“What are you doing here?” One of them finally asked, standing. He was young, barely a stallion. He seemed to be in the middle stages of doffing his armor, leaving him in just the chestplate and the fatigues beneath. “You’re not supposed to be down here.”

Ignoring him, Chrysalis stepped through the doorway. She found herself in what appeared to be a game room. Two pool tables were currently in use partway through a game. Some poker tables had cards dealt and a pot built in the middle. Every pony in the room was watching her with either a stone-cold or angry expression.

“Hey, did you hear me?” The soldier from earlier shouted. He stepped up to Chrysalis, puffing his chest out in a show of confidence. It was almost cute, the way he seemed to be trying to intimidate her, while still standing a head shorter.

“I’m looking for Captain Armor.”

“And what makes you think you can just walk in here and get an audience with the Captain?” the stallion snarled.

“The princess told me to do it.” Chrysalis offered a thin-lipped grin. Several of the soldiers turned to stare at one another, unsure if they were supposed to take her seriously. Others dismissed her completely.

“The princess? Really?” The soldier snorted. “You think we’d buy that?”

Rolling her eyes, Chrysalis shouldered past the guard. The closest few mares and stallions rose in response, reaching for the weapons they kept at their hips. The older ones among them didn’t flinch.

The young soldier steadied himself before spinning around and cutting Chrysalis off again. His horn was glowing, holding a dagger at his side. “I thought I made it clear to you, we’re not letting you anywhere near the Captain.”

“Settle down, Private.” An older mare stepped forward from the crowd. The others parted before her, giving her a clear path onto the scene.

“Lieutenant, this thing is here for Captain Armor.”

“I said I wanted to speak with Captain Armor,” Chrysalis corrected. She adjusted her stance, trying to take some of the weight off her leg, easing the searing pain climbing up the muscle.

“You can’t trust anything she says, Lieutenant.”

“Stow it, Private.” The mare waved off her underling. “The rest of you, return to your free time. I’ll handle this.” She turned toward Chrysalis. “You, follow me.” She turned and started down one of the hallways at the back of the gallery.

“But Lieutenant–”

“I said I’d handle this, Private. Return to your game.” She fixed him with a cold stare. With a nod, the younger soldier backed away. The mare motioned for Chrysalis to follow her once again. “You said you’re here to speak with the Captain?”

“I am.”

“Then I’ll take you to him.”

Chrysalis paused. “Excuse me?”

The mare didn’t stop. She didn’t even look back. “I said I would take you to him.”

“Why?” Chrysalis arched her brow. “You do know who I am, right?”

“I do.” The guardsmare led her down a long, winding hallway. Through the open doors, Chrysalis could see rows of bunks, each with their own set of footlockers and fitted with cheap and scratchy sheets. A few of them were occupied by off-duty guards. Some were laughing and joking, others were passed out and snoring. Either way, they paid no attention to Chrysalis passing by outside.

“Then why aren’t you about to lynch me like the rest of them?” Chrysalis nodded back toward the previous room.

“As per Princess Luna’s instructions, you’re no longer a prisoner of the Royal Guard. Thus, I feel it’s my duty to treat you as I would any other citizen of Equestria.”

Chrysalis nearly tripped over her own hooves. “Seriously?”

“Of course, Ma’am.”

“Even though your Captain is trying to have me arrested?”

“The Captain is entitled to his opinion. For the moment, Princess Luna has deemed you’re no longer a prisoner. Some of us still put loyalty to the crown and its decrees over our own opinions.”

“That’s . . .” Chrysalis started to laugh, but cut herself short. “That’s actually a refreshing change of pace. I didn’t expect any of you to actually be helpful.”

The guardsmare made no return comment. Instead, she functioned as a silent guide, leading Chrysalis to Shining Armor’s door and excusing herself to return to her duties. Chrysalis watched the mare march away with a soft grin. Once her guide was gone, Chrysalis turned and knocked on Captain Armor’s door.

No response.

Chrysalis frowned and tried knocking again. Before her hoof could connect with the door, she stopped herself short. Biting her lip, she leaned forward, pressing her ear to the door.

“Any word from our scouts?” That sounded like Shining Armor.

“No, Sir. Nothing.”

A short pause.

“Alright. You two go rest in the barracks. If there’s any word, I want to know immediately.”

“Yes, Captain.”

Chrysalis stumbled back, tripping over her own hooves and crashing to the floor, butt-first. Before she could stand, the door opened, revealing a pair of guards. Framed perfectly by the two guards, Shining Armor sat at his desk, his unimpressed gaze lingering on Chrysalis as he slid a page back into the stack on the nearest pile.

“Afternoon,” Chrysalis said, her fore legs crossed over her chest. “You certainly know how to keep a girl waiting, don’t you, Captain?”

The two guards looked to their officer.

“Uhh . . . should we–”

“No. Return to the barracks. I’ll handle this.”

The two stallions gave a hesitant nod, but nonetheless shuffled past, trying their best to ignore the pouting changeling sitting in the center of the hallway.

“What are you doing down here, Chrysalis?” Shining asked.

“What, a friend can’t stop by to say ‘hi’?”

“You’re not a friend, and I know that isn’t why you’re here.”

“You’re no fun.” Chrysalis used a bench beside her to help climb up. “I’m here to talk to you.” When she reached her full height, she stretched, popping her neck. “And before you say anything, this wasn’t my idea.” She stepped into Shining’s office and, without permission, plopped down into one of the seats opposite him.

“No.” He didn’t look up. “Get out.”

“Look.” Chrysalis leaned back in her seat. “I’m trying to be civil. I’m here on behalf of your wife. She asked me to speak with you.”

Shining glared over his files. “Cadance?”

“Is there another wife I should know?” Chrysalis said, raised a brow.

“No.” Shining returned his attention to his work. “Regardless, I couldn’t care less why you’re here. Get out. I won’t warn you again.”

“Well, can’t blame a girl for trying.” Sucking in a breath through her teeth, she rose from her seat. “I told her that this was a waste of time. Thanks for talking with me, Shiny.”

“Don’t call me–”

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” She rolled her eyes as she turned her back to the Captain. “Grouch.”

If Shining Armor had a rebuttal, Chrysalis never heard it over the sound of a slamming door. It took only a few steps for her to finally recognize the sharp pain spiking up her leg. Upon closer examination, she could see a bead of blood dripping down her prosthetic. With a sigh, she tried to wipe the red streak from the wood, but only succeeded in smearing it around. After a quick adjustment, she maneuvered the shredded cushions well enough to hide the mess. The lack of cloth would hurt like hell, but better that than her getting caught bleeding in the hallways.

Slowly, she limped her way back up through the castle, trying her best to ignore the stares of countless soldiers and workers as she did. The stairs were especially cruel, and she had to stop more than once to shift her weight off her wounded limb.

By some miracle, she reached Twilight’s room. A quick knock told her there was nopony home. Glancing up and down the hallway, Chrysalis leaned in against the door, pushing it open and slipping inside before anypony could catch her. Once inside, she shut the door and collapsed, letting her weight fall against the wood as she slid down to the floor.

She tugged at her mane and bit her lip as she rode out her agony. When it finally passed, she took a deep breath and let her muscles ease. She pulled her leg close, getting a better look at the bloody situation. Without the cushions protecting her, the wooden end of the limb had torn at her scars, reopening it in several places. The cushions themselves were shredded, likely by the jagged edges of her chitin plates as they started to grow over the stump.

Chrysalis steeled herself. With a grunt, she tugged hard on the wooden peg, pulling it free from her leg and tossing it across the room. It dribbled a trail of red as it rolled. She slammed her head back against the door, wheezing as the pain tore through. A bloody puddle started to form around her.

Outside, the sun hid behind the mountains. Its exodus remained the only clue to the passage of time. Once the bleeding stemmed, Chrysalis gripped the door handle above her, using it to pull her up. She put her weight on one leg. Then the second. Then the third. It took four attempts, but she managed to spread her weight evenly enough to stand without the wall’s aid.

She made for Twilight’s bed, crumpling onto the sheets. She nuzzled her cheek against the mattress, greeting it like she would its owner. But no matter how long she laid there, the echoing ache in her leg never dulled. The pain chased away any hope she had of getting a crumb of rest.

In a show of defeat, she hauled herself up off the bed enough to roll onto her back. From there, she sat up, letting her leg hang over the edge of the bed frame. With nothing else to occupy her, her gaze started to wander. Typical of Twilight, most of the room’s shelves were buried in books. Every once in a while, though, she would stumble upon something of interest.

A necklace bearing Twilight’s crest, the six-pointed star.

A doll fashioned in the shape of a dragon.

A picture frame.

Chrysalis stopped. From here, she could see the photo contained four figures, but couldn’t make out their features. Slowly, gently, she lifted herself completely from the bed. She staggered like a drunk, but made it to the shelf without falling.

From her closer vantage point, Chrysalis realized what she was looking at.

A picture of Twilight and her family. Twilight, still a filly, was smiling hard enough to strain her neck muscles. Beside her, a bored looking stallion bearing Shining Armor’s colors. He, too, appeared several years younger. Behind them, standing proudly, were two more ponies. A stallion and a mare. Both of which Chrysalis recognized. Despite that revelation, Chrysalis found herself drawn to Twilight. To the smile she wore.

A knock at the door broke her concentration.

“Hello?” Cadance asked, stepping forward into the dark. She froze as her hoof landed in a sticky red puddle. In a horrified panic, she scanned the room. “Chrysalis? Is this blood? What’s going on?”

Chrysalis offered no answer. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Cadance widen her stance, leveling her horn and preparing for a fight.

“Chrysalis, what’s going on here?”

“My leg hurt.”

Cadance’s breath snagged. “Is this . . . your blood?”

“Yes.”

The alicorn’s demeanor shifted. Giving the puddle a wide berth, she approached Chrysalis. The tension in her muscles hinted that she was still expecting something.

“Are you okay?”

“No.”

“Well, should I go get the doctor, or—”

“Do you see this?” Chrysalis asked.

Cadance followed Chrysalis’ sight line to the photo. “That’s Twilight and her family,” she pointed out. “That picture was taken years ago, on a vacation up north. I should know, I took the picture. Are you sure you don’t want the doc—””

“She looks happy.”

Cadance sighed. “I mean, this is Twilight we’re talking about. Smiling is sort of her default. At least, when she’s not freaking out over something.” She leaned down, inspecting Chrysalis’ wound. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“She’ll never be happy with me, will she?”

Cadance took a step back. “What?”

“Don’t pretend to be surprised.” Chrysalis’ voice took on a sharp edge. “Those nobles. Your husband. Even my own children. At least they have the decency to speak the truth. But you?” She turned to Cadance. “Why do you keep pretending? In front of Twilight, I would understand, but it’s just me and you here. So, tell me how you really feel, Princess.”

“What am I supposed to say?” Cadance asked.

Chrysalis lowered her head. “She wants me. She made me promise not to run away again.” She sighed. “But I’m not good for her. She’d be better off with some noble. She would learn to be happy. Just like she was back then.”

“Probably,” Cadance agreed. “Nothing would make me happier than her realizing that. But she’s not a filly anymore. Her choices aren’t mine to fix.” She sat beside Chrysalis, using a towel she’d taken from the bathroom to start wiping the blood off. “And she chose you. All I can do is wait for this all to fall apart and make sure I’m there to help pick up the pieces.”

“What am I supposed to do?” Chrysalis asked, looking up.

“Prove me wrong.” Cadance sighed. “Stand beside her. Make her happy.”

“You say that like it’s simple.”

Cadance shook her head. “Love is anything but simple. Even I can’t tell you how to do it. For Celestia’s sake, I can’t even tell you if it’s the right thing to do. But I can say that it’s what Twilight wants. And, as much as I hate to admit it, it might be what she needs. You might be what she needs.”

“Even if I ruin her life?”

The princess scoffed. “Don’t underestimate Twilight. Like I said, she’s not a filly. She’s capable of handling herself. I mean, how many times have you tried to ruin her life before? And how many of them actually worked?” Cadance vented with a long breath. “Her choices are hers to make. Stand by her, and she’ll stand by you. And if she’s not happy in that life, then do better. Be someone worthy of making her happy.”

Cadance stood and walked to the door. She pulled it open, flooding the room with light spilling in from the hallway. The princess stopped in the doorway and spoke over her shoulder.

“Whenever you’re done with your pity party, Twilight’s waiting for you up in her lab.” Another pause. “She does love you, Chrysalis. She trusts you. She believes in you. If you truly love her, you might try having some faith in her, too.”

Cadance left, closing the door behind her, leaving Chrysalis sitting alone in the dark.

PreviousChapters Next