• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 18,195 Views, 2,114 Comments

The Study of a Winning Pony - Ponibius



Twilight Sparkle gets assigned to study the insanity that is Cloud Kicker's life for a sociology report. It's just a matter of surviving her circle of crazy friends, paramours, and disappointed family members to do so.

  • ...
101
 2,114
 18,195

Family In My Heart

The Study of a Winning Pony

Chapter 33: Family In My Heart

All in all, my brother’s wedding could have gone a lot worse. His real wedding, that is. It’s a little hard to salvage a wedding involving a shapeshifter pretending to be your big brother’s fiancée with the intention of using the wedding to invade Equestria. I hadn't checked, but I was pretty sure there weren't any books that specifically detailed how to fix a disaster that big.

It had certainly helped to have a bride who was willing to work with me and give some her input on what she wanted. The real Cadance had been the mare I had remembered from my childhood. While I still would have preferred more warning about the upcoming wedding, at least I could get along perfectly well with Cadance. Now the married couple was well on their way to their honeymoon and marital bliss, and for the first time in what felt like forever, I didn't wake up needing to scramble to get a bunch of stuff done for a wedding.

I yawned as I descended the stairs to head to the kitchen. I was still pretty pooped from the reception, but it was a good kind of fatigue. Nothing like a wedding to put a pony in a good mood. When I got to the kitchen, I saw Mom and Dad already working on breakfast, and I was met with the sweet aroma of coffee. “Morning, Mom and Dad.”

Dad took a quick sip from his mug. “Good morning, Twilight.”

Mom put down the piece of fruit she was about to eat. “Hi, Twilight. Sleep alright?”

“Great.” I stretched some of my muscles from my long sleep. “The wedding's finally over and I don't have to plan it anymore. Now I can just relax.” My friends should still be in town, though I wasn’t in a race to see them quite yet.

Dad poured a fresh mug of coffee and levitated it to me. “That's got to be a good feeling.”

I immediately took the offered mug, drinking down that fantastic nectar of life and wakefulness. My mornings just hadn't gotten started until I’d had a cup of three of the precious substance.

“How about you sit down and get yourself something to eat?” Mom asked.

“I can get it for you, if you'd like.” Dad pointed to the waffle iron he was using. “I'm making waffles, and your mom cut up some fruit.”

“That sounds great, thanks.” I sat down next to Mom at the kitchen counter.

Mom smiled at me. “We figured you would like something special after the long day yesterday.”

“I'll get right on it.” Dad poured some batter into the waffle iron. “So ... we've got a little bit while that's cooking.”

“Uh-huh.” Still feeling fuzzy even after a long night’s sleep, I took a deep draft of my wonderful coffee. My stomach growled at the inviting smells of breakfast.

There was a period of silence before Mom finally broke it. “So, it's been a bit crazy for a while, hasn't it?”

“Well yeah,” I said. “Not every day my brother's wedding is interrupted by an invading army of love-consuming shapeshifters.”

“Thank Celestia,” Dad said with enough conviction for everypony in the room. He knocked back the rest of his coffee and refilled it. “Once is too much already. I’m not a young stallion anymore. This type of excitement isn’t good for me.”

Mom grunted in agreement. “Hopefully we won't see anything like that happen again for a long, long time. But at least it's sorted out now.”

“That's the main thing,” I said. “Plus Shining and Cadance seem real happy together, and we did manage to give them a really nice wedding.”

Mom smiled and gave me a nuzzle. “So we did. No small thanks to you.”

“And you did a great job with it.” Dad patted me on the back. “That's a big, complicated mess sorted.” He checked on the status of the waffle iron, and seeming content with its state, flipped it onto a plate and placed it in front of me. “One of them, anyway.”

I began the process of pouring some syrup onto my waffle. “Thanks. So what else is there?”

A slight frown worked its way on my mom’s features and she spoke with a hint of reluctance in her voice. “There was something we wanted to talk to you about, Twilight.”

“Go ahead.” I took a bite out of my waffle, wondering what this could be about.

Mom put down her mug and gave me a serious look. “It's about some of the things we talked about last time you were in Canterlot.”

“Which ones?” I asked, my mind still feeling fuzzy as I took another bite.

“Let's start with the part where Shining allegedly has a child,” Dad stated gravely.

I nearly choked on the waffle I was chewing on. They were bringing that up now?!

“It's about time we talk about that,” Mom said.

Dad passed me a glass of milk as I coughed. “Past time, really.”

Once the worst of the coughing subsided, I quickly drank a couple mouthfuls of the milk to clear my throat. “Er ... yes. That.” I had feared this conversation was coming. That wasn’t surprising when I’d screamed at them for being such great examples to Shiny that he had his own bastard child, just like them. My parents hadn’t said a word about the topic when I had returned to Canterlot, probably because they didn’t want to create a scene when we were all busy planning for the wedding. Priorities and all that. Shame that now the wedding was over, the excuses for not having this talk were over as well.

“We've given you space to collect yourself and think over everything we talked about last time.” Mom let out a sad sigh and looked down into her mug. “You certainly earned it, but the note you left us on has ... well, left us very concerned. Especially in light of recent events.”

Dad nodded in agreement. “Let's start at the beginning. How…?” A pondering expression ran across his face. Whatever it was he was thinking about, it resolved with a shake of his head and a sigh. “How'd you even get that idea?”

I took a deep breath as I carefully considered my words. There was no getting out of this, so I might as well dive right in. “Um ... Well it's kind of a long story. You see, there's this mare in Ponyville who has a daughter. And ... well, she didn't know for sure who the father was because it was a one-night-stand and they were both a bit drunk, but from her description it sounded a lot like Shiny, and the timelines match up...”

Mom rubbed her face, her weariness clear. “Please tell me this is just a case where you were angry and just wanted to throw something in our faces during a bad moment.”

My ears wilted as I buckled down to tell the truth. “Er ... well I tried a lineage spell, and everything matched.”

Dad was the next one to rub his face. “Of course you did.”

Mom let out a breath. “So you're telling me that…?”

I put on what had to be the most strained smile I had ever worn. “Congratulations, you're grandparents.”

“We have a grandchild. Celestia...” Dad looked to Mom and their eyes met. “Shining has a daughter.”

“That's ... going to take a moment to sink in...” Mom ate some fruit while she digested that. “Normally you get the better part of a year to get ready for something like that. Not just have it dumped on you out of nowhere like this.”

“It was a pretty big surprise for me too,” I said.

“How ... how old is she?” Dad asked.

“Six years old.” I smiled, trying to give them some assurance that everything was going to be alright. Even if I had no idea how this was going to turn out in the end. “You’ve … um … you’ve actually met her already, Mom.”

Mom reeled in surprise. “I have?”

I nodded. “Yes, both of you did actually. Do you remember the two girls that were with me the last time I was in Canterlot? We had dinner.”

A small smile lifted on her face. “Yes, of course. I remember she was a sweet little … filly.” Her eyes widened as my meaning fell into place.

“That … was our granddaughter.” Dad let out a long breath. “This is ... something alright. Wow.”

“This ... was not how I expected to be told I'm a grandmother.” Mom leaned back and frowned contemplatively.

“I wasn't expecting to find out I'm an aunt either.” I shuffled uncomfortably in my seat. “I ... I've told Ditzy, but Dinky doesn't know yet.” Oh goodness, and here I had promised Ditzy that I was going to wait until we could talk to my parents together about this. Hopefully she would forgive me for blathering to them. What was I supposed to do, tell them no when they confronted me? I knew that wasn’t going to fly very well.

I sighed. “And Shiny doesn’t know either. I was going to tell him, and I even wrote him some letters telling him that I needed to talk to him about something serious. But ... the wedding...” My ears fell flat.

“Or Cadance.” Dad shook his head. “Celestia's teats...”

“Er ... yeah, she wouldn't know either.” This was a fine mess we were in. And here I thought some of the friendship problems I had dealt with were tricky.

“Oooh dear.” Mom took another long sip of her coffee. “This is going to be a big mess to clean up. Needless to say, this isn’t how you want your marriage to get started.”

Dad made his way to the cabinet and filled his mug with some orange-smelling liquor. “Where do we even start with that?”

“Um...” I tapped my hooves together nervously. “Well I suppose we should probably tell Shiny at some point.”

“Later,” Dad said firmly. “Let's at least let him finish his honeymoon ... and some time after that. The two of them need a bit of time to get settled.”

“Well, obviously, but he still needs to know eventually,” I pointed out.

“Yes, he does,” Mom said, her tone firm. “Ugh, the timing is awful for this. But there isn’t anything to be done about it.”

“Tell me about it,” Dad said. “This is better than the bug-bitch, but only barely.”

“Still, Shining will be told when the timing is right.” Mom shook her head. “And no, we're not going to put it off forever. Just... when it's appropriate. He doesn't deserve to have his marriage wrecked right out of the gate. And there are things we can do until then.”

“Gee, I'm sorry Shining having an illegitimate child is inconvenient for you.” The words flowing out of my mouth before I could stop them. I instantly regretted saying them, even as the hot pain of the lies they had told me burned.

My parents winced. Mom hunched her shoulders and she looked down at the counter surface. Dad put a hoof on Mom’s shoulder. “We didn't mean it like that, Twilight.”

I sighed and rubbed my face. The situation was bad enough without snapping at my parents. However much they might deserve it for the lies about my own sister. “I know, I know. It’s just ... still sore.”

“I made a terrible mistake,” Mom said quietly. “I've known that for a long time. If it was something I could fix...” She shook her head again. “Anyways, I'm not going to make a similar mistake. Not with my granddaughter.”

Dad leaned over and squeezed Mom’s hoof. “One thing at a time, love.”

“Um ... right.” I shuffled nervously as I remembered the letter Princess Celestia had given me—the one with Amethyst’s address. I hadn’t opened it yet. With everything else that had occupied me, it had never seemed like the right time to open it. The Princess had said to wait until I was ready for it.

Something about Mom’s demeanor changed as she looked at me and her eyes narrowed. “Twilight, is there something else you want to tell us?”

“We might as well get it all on the table,” Dad said. “No sense holding anything back now.”

My shoulders hunched. Mom must have picked up that something was bothering me. She had always been good at detecting when something was on my mind. “Um ... well ... I kind of ... maybeknowhereAmethystis.”

Mom blinked. “Excuse me?”

I swallowed, my throat suddenly feeling very dry. “Um, well when I mentioned the situation to Princess Celestia, she said that she knew where Amethyst was.”

“She did?!” Mom bolted onto her hooves. “I need to speak with her right now.”

“She gave me a letter with all the information,” I quickly amended. If I hadn’t, she might very well have ran to the palace right then and there.

“Please tell me you have it with you,” Dad said, his statement halfway between a question and a demand.

“Of course.” I stood, knowing there wasn’t any way I was going to get away not having the letter opened here and now. Part of me had considered the possibility something like this might happen, so I had packed it during the panic of trying to get to Canterlot for Shiny’s wedding. “I ... well, she said I shouldn't open it until I was ready.”

“Well I'm ready.” Mom didn’t sound like she was in the mood to argue. She stared at me with a look of pure iron determination. “So please give it to me. Twilight, I made the biggest mistake of my life when I gave up Amethyst. If there is anything I could do set everything right, when I'm this close to knowing where she is...”

Dad placed a hoof on Mom’s shoulder to steady her. “Please?”

My ears wilted under the looks they gave me—Mom’s one of desperate need, and Dad’s that of a pleading stallion. “Okay. Just a second...”

I went and retrieved the letter from my luggage and returned to the kitchen. Mom was pacing around the dining room while Dad sat patiently, drinking from his mug. Mom stopped her pacing when she saw me return. “So, do you want to open it, or shall I?”

Thinking the question over, I said, “Celestia did give the letter to me, so...” The letter almost shaking in my magic, I carefully opened it and started reading. There wasn’t much on the piece of paper, just a name and an address.

“It ... it can't be...” I heard somepony say with my voice and the letter fell from my grip.

“What? What is it?” Dad pleaded.

Mom stepped up next to me, keeping me from falling over. “Twilight, what is it?”

“It's ... it's...”


Sparkler opened the door to the Doo Manor in Canterlot.

“Am—Sparkler?” Mom asked, the words a bit breathless. That wasn't exactly a surprise after the quick pace we had taken to get here. We hadn't run the entire way here, but we had moved at a quick trot. After I had told her what Celestia had said and after Mom had read the letter for herself, we had come straight to the Doo Manor.

“That would be me, a Sparkler.” Sparkler glanced around to see Dad and me with Mom. She blinked in surprise when her eyes fell on me. “Hey, Twilight. I wasn't exwhaULG!” Whatever she was trying to say was cut off when Mom wrapped her up in a crushing hug. I was briefly worried I was going to have to pry them apart unless I wanted to risk the family reunion resulting in Sparkler’s accidental death.

Thankfully Dad put a restraining hoof on Mom’s shoulder. “Velvet, honey? Maybe let her breathe?”

“And maybe let us explain things?” I added.

Mom momentarily froze as she realized what she was doing and let Sparkler go. “Oh ... sorry.” Mom smiled apologetically and took a step back.

Sparkler gasped for breath once she was released from the accidental death grip, coughing a couple of times before she could speak. “Holy hay... I thought Dinks was bad.” She slowly regained her composure as she gave all of us a questioning look. Big surprise, she was a bit confused why my mom had suddenly decided to test if she was real with the most enthusiastic hug ever. “Uh ... hi?”

“Sweetie?” I heard Ditzy call from further inside the manor. “Who's at the door?”

“It's me and my parents, Ditzy,” I called back. “We ... have some news we need to discuss.” And now the really awkward part could get started.

Mom cleared her throat. “Yes, sorry, may we come in?”

“Um, sure.” Sparkler opened the door wider to allow us inside.

It was as Sparkler closed the door behind us that I heard the thumping of small hooves making their way down the nearby stairs. A small, gray blur sped towards us and then attached itself to Mom’s leg. “Miss Twiliiight!” Dinky cheered, nuzzling Mom’s leg with her typical enthusiasm.

Mom instinctively drew her granddaughter into a hug. “Hello there, Dinky.”

Dinky gasped, realization dawning in her eyes when she saw that she was hugging the wrong Twilight. As with everything involving her, it was adorable. “Whoooa, that’s right! You’re Twilight’s mommy, Mrs. Twilight!”

Mom smiled down at her. “That’s right.”

“Nice to see you again!” Dinky squeezed Mom’s leg, probably momentarily cutting off the circulation before letting her go and hugging her originally intended target. “Hi, Miss Twilight! Nice to see you too!”

“It’s nice to see you too, Dinky” Before the cute moment could settle in too much, the reasons for why we had come her to start with pressed down on me. “We ... um ... have a lot to discuss. Mind if we sit down to talk?”

“Sure,” Sparkler said warily. She led us to the living room. I couldn't help but look at Sparkler like it was the first time—as though I didn't really know her. Could this really be my long-lost sister? Princess Celestia’s letter had said she was, and she would never lie to me. Still, the whole situation was so surreal. I would have preferred to have taken more time to think it all over, but when Mom heard the news she wouldn't hear anything about waiting—she wanted to see Amethyst, and that was the end of the conversation as far as she was concerned.

Before we could get settled, Ditzy trotted in. She blinked when she saw us and halted in place. “Twilight?” Her eyes darted to my parents. “Is everything okay?”

“Um, hello, Ditzy,” Dad said. “Could we all sit down?”

Something dawned on Ditzy’s expression, likely she guessed what this would be about. “Yes, yes! Sitting! Is good.” She waved us to the couch and cushions in the living rooms. “What's going on?”

Mom sat Dinky down on her lap as she sat down on the couch. “We need to talk about a few things.”

“Like ... what, exactly?” Sparkler asked as she sat down on the opposite couch with me.

“Um ... family things. About family, and togetherness...” I said, feeling more awkward with every passing word. I really wish I had some notecards to help guide me through this conversation.

Mom gave Ditzy a serious look. “It's about some serious issues, so I hope you’ll let us get through this.”

Ditzy nodded slowly and spoke with a cautious edge. “Okay...”

Dinky gave Mom one of her loving hugs. “Okay! Let's all take turns. You go first, 'kay Missus Twilight?”

Mom cleared her throat. “Well, now that I'm here, it feels like I've lost a bit of steam.” Mom drew herself up. “We have quite a bit of ground to cover with each other.”

“And that means?” Sparkler asked, a hint of annoyance in her voice. Little surprise she was growing impatient after the way Mom had hugged her.

“Sparkler, be nice,” Ditzy said with maternal warning for her teenage daughter.

“Sorry, Mom,” Sparkler crossed her forelegs over her chest, not looking particularly apologetic. “Just kinda want to know what’s going on.”

At this point, I just wanted it to get out. The pressure had just been building and building within me since we had arrived. We were all just staring at one another, waiting for somepony, anypony to make the first move. “You're my sister and Dinky's my niece!” I blurted out. I covered my mouth as I realized what I had just said.

Everypony stared at me with varying levels of surprise, shock, and disbelief. Sparkler was the first one to recover. “Sorry, what?”

Mom moved in to save me from my own outburst. “With all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, what my daughter said is correct.” She let out a long-suffering sigh. “Sparkler is my daughter and Dinky is our grandchild. I gave her up when I shouldn't have. Dinky ... well, I think you know that story better than I do, Ditzy.”

“Huh?” Sparkler looked to each of the ponies in the room as though she were expecting, no, hoping that this was some sort of cruel joke. Seeking guidance from her mom, Derpy’s only reply was to hold a pillow tight to her chest and make some kind of unintelligible noise.

Dinky let out a surprised gasp and turned her attention to me. “You're my auntie? An' Sparky's your sister?! But if she's My sister, an' if she's your sister, she's my auntie—but you're my auntie.” Dinky rubbed her head. Trying to untangle the different branches of the family tree would have taken an adult a while to do, much less a child like Dinky who didn't even have all the facts yet. “I'm sooo confuuused!”

“I—” Sparkler blinked and then looked at me, examining my features and then that of my—our mom. Something flashed behind her eyes. Recognition perhaps?

“Um ... hi?” I asked, at a loss about what to say now that we were at this juncture.

Sparkler let out a squeak and looked to Ditzy, desperation in her eyes. “Mom? What's going on?”

“I—I don't know.” Ditzy turned her gaze to Mom. “How?”

Mom took another deep breath. “I ... I gave up Sparkler after she was born. That was a mistake on my part, something I'm trying very, very hard to fix now. I want to make everything right again. I realize it isn't going to be easy. But I need to...” Mom wiped at one of her eyes and her voice became more strained and tight as she continued. “I didn't know where you went, and I just found out ... here you are, after all these years. I needed to see you, had to see you.”

Dad wrapped a leg around Mom’s shoulders in a supportive hug. Dinky glanced about, looking confused by what she was seeing and hearing. Eventually she settled on giving Mom one of her get-better hugs, which Mom returned.

Sparkler turned to me, and she spoke softly, as though exploring new ground. “Um ... hey, I guess.” She drew me into a hug that I returned.

“Hey, Amethyst. I missed you,” I said. I blinked as my eyes started to sting. I was hugging her, my long lost sister. It almost didn't seem real, but here we were.

“You did?” Sparkler asked.

I sniffed and nodded. “For a very long time. I thought ... you were dead for a long time.”

“Oh.” Sparkler hugged me tighter.

Seemingly satisfied that Mom had been bugged out of her sadness, Dinky gave her next hug to Dad. “Hi Mister Twilight's dad!”

Dad hugged and nuzzled her back. “'Grandpa' works just fine.”

“I ... I have a sister...” Technically two sisters. No, wait—three now. Life had been getting complicated lately.

“Yeah.” Sparkler blinked again. “Holy hay, I've got a sister. Another one—n'a brother too, jeez.”

I nodded. “So you do.” Yeah, this family had just gotten a whole lot more complicated.

“Um ... yes. And a niece.” I frowned as I contemplated some of the more practical parts of the issue. “Oh ... oh this is going to complicate the family tree.”

“That's putting it mildly,” Ditzy said.

My thoughts were interrupted when Sparkler started crying. She reapplied her hug and cried into my shoulder.

Ditzy shuffled over to Sparkler and rubbed her back. “It's okay, sweetie, it's okay. I'm here for you.”

“M'okay, m'okay.” Sparkler nuzzled me as she cried herself out.

I stroked her mane, trying to keep a hold of myself as I hugged my sister. “It's ... fine. Everything's fine. Nothing's wrong at all with the fact that I have a new sister and niece. Totally and completely fine.” My ear twitched and I smiled as best I could under the circumstances.

Sparkler sniffed and rubbed at her nose before she turned her gaze to Mom. “Hi, um ... M—” She glanced Ditzy’s way before bringing herself to continue. “Hi, Mom.”

Mom returned with a hopeful smile. “Hi, Am—Sparkler. It's good to see you.”

She sniffed and nodded. “Yeah, you too.”

Mom shifted in her seat and wrung her hooves. “I know I can't demand of it from you, but I hope I can, someday, set things right with you. I want to be a part of your life. A good part of it.” She gazed down at Dinky with a warm smile and nuzzled her. “Both of your lives.”

Sparkler bit her lip. I could only imagine the emotions that must have been going through her. It couldn't have been easy growing up as an orphan. “I'll—I—that's—Ishouldgo!” She jumped off the couch. Without giving us an opportunity to stop her, she quickly trotted towards the exit of the room.

“Sparkyyy!” Dinky was the first in motion as she leapt from Mom’s lap to take off after her sister. “Ya gotta come back!”

“Oh dear...” I didn't want her leaving, not now. Not after I had just found out who she was. I teleported in front of her. “Sparkler, wait!”

“Augh!” She staggered to a halt. Dinky took the opportunity to grab her hindleg.

Mom was the next to join the ponies surrounding Sparkler. Though she kept a respectful distance from her rediscovered daughter. “Please, we want to talk.”

Sparkler jerked her head back and forth, her eyes growing wide as she looked for an escape. She backed away from us until she hit the wall. Sobs started wracking her side and she slid down to the floor. Wrapping her forelegs around Dinky, tears fell down her cheeks as she began hyperventilating.

Great, just great, we had confronted her with the truth and now she was falling apart on us. Had it been a big mistake on my part to even open Celestia’s letter? Maybe this had all been some secret test on her part? One where I wasn't even supposed to open the letter and leave well enough alone. But now that I had come this far, what was I supposed to do? I was tearing Sparkler’s world down around her, I had to fix this.

“I know how to fix this problem!” I declared. “This is something I can make better!” I conjured forth a brown paper bag. “Here you go!” I gave Sparkler the bag and she immediately started using it to breathe in. Perfect, exactly as planned.

Mom sighed as she watched Sparkler breathed into the bag. “Ditzy, could we get her to the couch to lie down for a bit? I'm afraid we’ve overwhelmed her.”

Sparkler’s tears kept coming as the bag repeatedly expanded and then compressed again. “M'okay, m'okay, m'okay...”

I helped Sparkler to shaky hooves. “Alright, here we go...” We guided her to the couch, where she lay down and started quivering. Seeing her daughter's discomfort, Ditzy sat next to her and gently ran her hoof through her mane.

“Give her a minute,” Ditzy said. “She'll come out of it before long.” She tried to sound confident when she said that, but there was a trace of worry in her voice.

Mom rubbed at her face and shook her head. “I'm so sorry for dumping all of this on you. I just... I had to see her when I found out. After so many years, I promised myself if I ever had the opportunity to find her again...” Her shoulders slumped as she trailed off. It was an off-putting sight to me. Mom had always been such a source of strength in my life and now ... now she just looked tired, haggard—old, even.

I had concentrated for so long on how much her lies had hurt me that I hadn't really considered how it might affect her. Her pain didn't erase what she did but ... maybe I could forgive her, with time.

Sparkler mumbled something unintelligible and Ditzy nuzzled her. Ditzy motioned to the other side of the couch for Mom to sit, and she joined them. I could only imagine what was going through Ditzy’s head right then, but it seemed for now she was at least going to give Mom a chance.

Slowly, Sparkler’s breathing started to calm as she became more aware of her surroundings. She took a long breath and looked back and forth between her moms. “Sorry, m'okay now.” The three of them exchanged hugs and nuzzles, something Sparkler seemed to drink in during such a hard time for her.

Dinky reached her limit for how long she could stand to the side, and she hopped onto the couch to hug her sister. “Hey, Sparky? I know Miss Twilight's your sister an' all, but ... can I still be your sister too?”

“Hey, c'mere.” Sparkler pulled her into a close hug. “No matter what else, you'll always be my little sister. S'like when I came home—I just got more family, now.”

“We can work out the details in time,” Mom assured her.

Sparkler nodded. “S'the same with Mom. I'll always be her daughter. Even if I'm somepony else's, too.”

Mom smiled at Ditzy. “Yes, thank you for taking care of her, Ditzy. I ... well, there is no way I'll ever be able to properly thank you.”

“It's been my pleasure. Really.” Ditzy smiled back. “I couldn't love her any more if I'd given birth instead.”

Ditzy was being a saint in all of this. If she had yelled at us after telling her the truth and threw us out on our rears, I'm not sure I would have been able to blame her.

“I hope you'll work with us to, well, figure everything out,” Mom said. “I'm not going to begin to pretend this is going to be easy.”

“But it is doable,” I finished for her. “We're going to make it work.”

Ditzy nodded. “Family isn't always easy. But it's definitely worth it.” She didn't get any arguments from us as she kissed Sparkler’s forehead. “So, if she's Sparkler's niece, then...”

Dinky’s eyes widened further and further until they we're the size of dishes. “Oh my gosh!” A big smile worked its way onto her face. “I've got a daddy!” She ran over to Mom and all but collided into her with a hug. “Who is he?! When do I get to see him?”

Mom couldn't keep her smile from being terribly strained. The really awkward questions were now coming up, and there wasn't any avoiding them now. “You do have a father, Dinky. It's ... just going to be a bit before you can see him. He's really busy at the moment.”

“Er ... yeah. Busy,” I said, feeling terrible as I aided in the half-truth. Why did all of this have to happen at such an inconvenient moment?

Dinky’s ears wilted. “Aww....” The idea she was going to have to wait to meet her dad had to be crushing for the little filly. How many times must she have wondered about her sire? The fact Ditzy didn't have the answers Dinky wanted couldn't have been easy on either of them.

“All in good time.” Mom gave her a hug to try and make her feel better. “I promise, you'll get to see him as soon as we can arrange it.”

“'Kay,” Dinky said with a very uncharacteristic lack of energy.

“I bet he'll be really happy to meet you,” I tried to reassure her. True, he was probably going to freak when he first found out, but I could see him coming around to the idea of being a dad once he got his mental balance back. We were definitely going to tell him before he met Dinky.

Mom nodded. “Oh yes, you'll find out he's a great stallion.”

“He just needs some time, Muffin,” Ditzy said.

“Yeah.” Sparkler let out a short bark of a laugh. “Don't need him getting all panicky like me, right?”

Dinky’s ears perked back up a little bit. “Oooh, that'd be bad!”

“Exactly.” Mom started stroking Dinky’s mane. “And in the meantime, you still have the rest of us.”

That caused Dinky’s ears to perk up all the way. “Oh yeah, that's right!”

“And we'd all really like to get to know you better.” I looked up at Sparkler. “Both of you.”

“Yes, we would love to do that,” Mom said. “We have a lot of catching up to do.”

Dinky nodded enthusiastically. “We've got so much stuff to do! You gotta meet my godmom, Rainbow Dash—she's Mommy's best friend an' the coolest godmom ever! Oh, an' ya gotta meet Miss Star too—she's Sparky's special somepony, an' she's pretty cool too, even if she's just as big a brat as Sparky.”

Mom made the barest of flinches when Dinky mentioned Star. “A special somepony?”

Sparkler smiled sheepishly. “Yeah ... her name's Star Kicker. She's really cool, we’ve been going out for a few weeks now.”

“Then I look forward to getting to know her later,” Mom said through teeth that were only slightly clenched. It seemed that while Mom was happy to have her missing daughter back, the idea that her teenage daughter was dating didn’t sit nearly so well, at least for the moment.

Seeing the tension in the room, Ditzy said, “For what it's worth, she's already run the gauntlet with me.”

Mom smiled wolfishly. “No sense not running her through the gauntlet again, right?”

As I thought over the fact that Sparkler was dating Star Kicker, a realization struck me. “Oh sweet Celestia, my sister is dating Cloud's cousin!”

Sparkler snickered and patted my back. “At this point, is that really the worst revelation we could have?”

Ditzy shook her head. “No, probably not.”

“At least we know you'll adjust just fine to our flavor of crazy,” Dad said.

Mom poked Dad’s chest. “Why honey, are you suggesting something might be odd about our family?”

Dad chuckled. “I like to think of it as lovably eccentric.”

Sparkler chuckled with Dad. “He’s got a point, I guess.”

I frowned, still not liking the idea of my sister dating family of a mare I was semi-dating. “Still...”

“Worried about the two of you dating in the same family, Twilight?” Mom asked.

Dinky’s face scrunched up in thought. “I don't think genie-ologies are supposedta do that.”

“It's just ... odd,” I finally settled with. “I never even realized that ... it was ... oh dear.”

“Having trouble processing that?” Mom asked.

“I think it's maybe a delayed reaction to all the ... everything.” Everything was rushing at me in a torrent. It had all happened so quickly. Finding out about Sparkler, coming to the Doo Manor to talk with everypony over what we had found out, revealing the truth, the fact Sparkler was dating—I wasn’t prepared for all of it.

Sparkler held back a snicker. Mostly. “Star's gonna laugh herself sick once she gets wind of this.”

Ditzy chuckled at the odd situation. “I know what you mean.”

Mom rubbed one of my shoulders. “Trust me, if you need to lie down for a bit, nopony would blame you.”

I took a long breath to calm myself. “I think I'll be okay.”

“If you gotta go lie down, can I come with you?” Dinky hugged me. “We can snuggle!”

“Sure thing, Dinky,” I said, trying to sound confident.

“I'm sure your niece is going to want to spend plenty of time with you,” Mom said.

“Yeah!” Dinky nodded vigorously. “But don't worry—I'll come back an' snuggle you too, 'kay?”

“Yeah, careful—Dinky's a snuggler,” Sparkler said.

“It is sweet of her.” I hugged Dinky back, feeling better as I did so. It was odd, hugging the niece I hadn’t even known about not too long ago.

Mom patted Dinky’s back. “Twilight was right about how adorable you are.”

Ditzy beamed at the praise of her daughter. “She's the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Mom smiled fondly at me. “I know that's true of my children.”

Sparkler nuzzled me. “I can believe it. Twi's been awesome so far.”

I felt my cheeks flush. “Aww, thanks. But I didn't do anything that special...”

“Says my little filly who’s saved Equestria,” Mom said.

Sparkler nodded in agreement. “While sparing time to teach magic to a stranger's kids.”

“Whoooa!” Dinky’s eyes widened. “You're almost as cool as Rainbow Dash!”

Dad let out a short chuckle. “That sounds like high praise.”

“Well, Rainbow and I did work together to save Equestria,” I said with a modicum of sarcasm. Of course, I didn’t know what exact version of the story Rainbow had told Dinky. For all I knew, she might have .... highlighted her parts in that story.

“Maybe we could get caught up over dinner?” Mom asked. “It seems like we have a lot to get caught up over.”

“And lunch,” Ditzy agreed. “And I think there's still some coffee going, if you wanted to get started.”

“Might as well,” Mom said. “I have a feeling we’re going to be having a long talk.”

Author's Note:

I would like to thank my editors Chengar Qordath, Comma-Kazie, and JakeTheGinger for all their help. And also to my prereaders Swiftest, Infinion, 621Chopsuey, Pegasusnumber 5, and Web of Hopewho put a ton of effort into reading over this chapter and helping me edit it.